Concerned

simple bucket test :

turn bucket upside down.
stick it on your head.
look.
if you can see light through the bucket so can your plants roots.

now imagine that under the strength of light most of us toss at it.

I’ve never tried white or clear plastic containers so I can’t tell you first hand. I can’t find where I read it here but the jist of it was roots prefer the dark and stay away from any light therefore not growing to their full potential.
I’m not saying your doing anything wrong just passing on info that might be useful to someone reading. Happy growing
brother.
There might be something to it but I also figure it is just something that is blown out of proportion.

simple bucket test :

turn bucket upside down.
stick it on your head.
look.

I have run the same size and shape containers side by side and have not found any problem. I do not use thin white plastic (like plastic beer glasses), just the thicker containers intended for commercial use except for the white containers I find after some company or homeowner plants roses or shrubs.

i think it might be fair to say that black pots are recommended.

any pot will still grow a plant,, plenty of house plant pots are white plastic or light plastic etc

but black would be recommended

There might be something to it but I also figure it is just something that is blown out of proportion.

grew piles in different five gallon plastic buckets side by side and we noticed a difference. we had so many plants we never gave a crap, but we did notice a difference in root development when we cleaned the buckets out.

thickness of the bucket made some difference. older buckets were thicker, and even using a white one made no difference. newer buckets are thinner, and that's where we noticed the difference. orange and white ones had a bit more dirt, and a little less root. never really tracked any difference in the plants.

we scrounged buckets from everywhere. never paid for one. pretty much all came from food industry. we never bothered to paint them or anything.

grew piles in different five gallon plastic buckets side by side and we noticed a difference. we had so many plants we never gave a crap, but we did notice a difference in root development when we cleaned the buckets out.

thickness of the bucket made some difference. older buckets were thicker, and even using a white one made no difference. newer buckets are thinner, and that's where we noticed the difference. orange and white ones had a bit more dirt, and a little less root. never really tracked any difference in the plants.

we scrounged buckets from everywhere. never paid for one. pretty much all came from food industry. we never bothered to paint them or anything.
This is a problem we all dream of having. I unfortunately need few enough I can afford air pruning pots. I d rather it be the other way.

simple bucket test :

turn bucket upside down.
stick it on your head.
look.

I tried it now my hair is full of perilite.
LOL

I wouldn't sweat these buckets. Homebrewers use them in making beer and the hops are sensitive to sunlight. If you're that nervous, you can always drape some old curtains or towels or something around the bucket.

simple bucket test :

turn bucket upside down.
stick it on your head.
look.

Dont forget to take pics and share..... or it didn't happen.

I have run the same size and shape containers side by side and have not found any problem. I do not use thin white plastic (like plastic beer glasses), just the thicker containers intended for commercial use except for the white containers I find after some company or homeowner plants roses or shrubs.

I wouldn't sweat these buckets. Homebrewers use them in making beer and the hops are sensitive to sunlight. If you're that nervous, you can always drape some old curtains or towels or something around the bucket.
I was never concerned about the buckets... the girls thrived on a 20/4 during veg.
(veg. room designed to imitate as if on a hilltop elevation of about 5000 ft.)

i think it might be fair to say that black pots are recommended.

any pot will still grow a plant,, plenty of house plant pots are white plastic or light plastic etc

but black would be recommended
black pots have a tendency to stay wet much, much longer after feedings, thus making it more possible to over water. Been there... done that

Back
Top Bottom