Cultovars; Are we prepared to steer away from calling them strains?

I was reading a new book "Growing Weed in the Garden: A No-Fuss, Seed to Stash to Outdoor Cannabis Cultivation" by Johanna Silver

Johanna is more of a gardener than a stoner. She took on the challenge of learning how to grow it for a research project for her newspaper. Long story short, she brought up an excellent point. In every other garden, gardeners typically refer to their seeds or plants as cultivars "cultivated varieties".

Strains have become common place but they are technically the incorrect term for the cultivated varieties of plants we all grow and love. Are we ready to change the way we refer to strains and start calling them cultivars like other common plants growing in millions of gardens around the world.

What are your thoughts?

Woman getting picky about the language, decides to use the word "weed" in the title of her book.

Word.

The word is...

Irony.

Seems like, if you want to get technical, cultivar does not equal variety. On the other hand... if you are choosing to define your terms by what "gardeners typically refer to their seeds or plants as," then you'd be justifying the use of the term "strain" :rolleyes: . As that's what the vast majority of cannabis gardeners do. Sure, there are a few who use the term "variety" - but probably more who use "strand" :rofl:.

Just don't call it weed :thumb:.

So, just out of curiosity why do you dislike the word weed? There are so many different names and many still use weed as an Identifying term. I was implying the use of the word cultivar as it is used by other gardeners. I was just curious to see how others view this perspective. Are they strains? Technically not from what I have read. It is a term that has stuck with the cannabis culture as a whole.

I don't call it "shit," either. Or marijuana. Or "evil drug of the negro blues musicians" (okay, that last one has fallen out of use, lol). I figure the other side in the fight doesn't need my help.

But you can, of course, refer to it any way you like. I'm not even going to attempt to talk you out of it; I gave up on trying to enlighten change people's minds a while back. The above is merely my opinion. You might not like it, might have a different viewpoint, etc. That's cool - if we were all clones, discussions would be pretty boring. Aside from enjoying a good debate, I've long ago grown accustomed to people disagreeing with me. Not everyone enjoys my favorite fruit (lemon), agrees with me on the best drink in the universe (dill pickle juice), or first choice of <COUGH>activity partner<COUGH> (hyperintelligent schizophrenic brunettes with a pair of 38DDDs and a bad attitude).

<SHRUGS> But we would probably agree on some things.

In regards to the thread at hand, I used to think cannabis (lower-case), indica, and ruderalis ought to be considered varieties instead of subspecies. But I cannot say whether this would be technically correct, or even if I'd still feel that way now if I did some reading. It's been some years since I really gave it much thought.

If I see someone using the term "variety" in the same way that I use "strain," I don't comment on it. In other words, had you posted that you were going to be growing two different varieties this time, Blue Moonshine and Jack Herer, then I wouldn't even have thought about your choice of terms. But you posted your opinion on terminology - and asked for others' opinions. So I gave mine.

Hope you're weathering our current health crisis unscathed, BtW.

As TS pointed out a bit ironic they use the term Weed in their title but decide to pick on that technicality, folks pushing for legalization trying to stay away from Slang, albeit Weed not the same negative connotation as Dope or Devils Lettuce etc... but still negative terminology to those that don't partake. Some terminology changes and others stick and hard to get rid of even if "technically" incorrect, it's past so rooted in not legal activity it kind of has it's own terminology (Cultivar sounds "snooty" to me, but that may just be me ;) :rofl: ). Kind of like a lot of us "old timers/old school" folks we still use the term Zip or Lid even though that not quite correct, same as Dispensaries sell 1/4's or Oz's that not correct either (7 grams or 28 grams) but that may be due to legal limits as big difference between 28.4 grams and an oops at the Dispensary of 28.5 grams which not legal to carry in example. Kind of like when I ask the kids (they of legal age just kids to me as my Son their age) at the coffee stand if they "Toke" and they give me that blank look ;) or when I refer to it as "it's a Creeper so be careful until you know how it hits you" they go "what/huh?" :rofl:

I was reading a new book "Growing Weed in the Garden: A No-Fuss, Seed to Stash to Outdoor Cannabis Cultivation" by Johanna Silver

Johanna is more of a gardener than a stoner. She took on the challenge of learning how to grow it for a research project for her newspaper. Long story short, she brought up an excellent point. In every other garden, gardeners typically refer to their seeds or plants as cultivars "cultivated varieties".

Strains have become common place but they are technically the incorrect term for the cultivated varieties of plants we all grow and love. Are we ready to change the way we refer to strains and start calling them cultivars like other common plants growing in millions of gardens around the world.

What are your thoughts?
This brings up a problem on this message board and most of the others that discuss growing Weed. People come across words that they are vaguely familiar with from when they were in school. Now that they have an interest in growing weed they start to use the words in a sentence. Here is a sample based on what I saw in someones msg to start off a thread. "I germinated my seeds last week when will they come out of the dirt should I sprout them".

I think that one of the number one reasons so many new growers have the problems they do is because are talking in their own language. Since they are not used to using and understanding the words they end up having a hard time understanding what they are reading.

And calling it Weed in the title is how the author attracts the average reader. Using Marijuana can make some readers think that it is more technical than it actually is.

Terminology lessons from someone that spells cultivar with an O :rofl:

The cannabis growing community has literally been hiding in the shadows for generations, the garden clubs didn't want us then but they sure want to hear what we have to say now. Most folks don't use the right terminology describing their vehicle either, (engine vs motor).

I'd be pleased if I could get folks to stop calling it a "strand" and here you come trying to take the whole bite at once.

@TurboBucket Wow...I just noticed that I misspelled it! Haa haaa. I did spell it right in various sentences though! That's got to count for something right?!
I'm not trying to give anyone terminology lessons. I hope it did not come off that way. I was just curious and thought it would be a good topic. I do agree that cultivar sounds a little snooty @Dwight Monk but I also agree with her that they are technically cultivars as it is used with your agriculture.

@TorturedSoul I actually enjoyed your rebuttal. Nothing wrong with it at all and I do not entirely disagree. I personally am a bit indifferent about the term weed. I don't mind using from time to time but I also use a bunch of other slang terms. I don't mind people disagreeing with me. It offers an opportunity to learn and appreciate other people. Also, this topic had nothing to do with being enlightened. It is a poor choice to try and change people. We all collectively, don't have enough reefer to accomplish that task. We need more love and more mary jane to even make a dent in the insanity of this world. Also, more 38DDDs would help as well...
Folks, I am ok with strains

Technically, to my way of understanding terminology, she still doesn't have it correct, at least not in the cannabis world as it has evolved today. While I have long objected to the use of the word "strain" when referring to varieties of cannabis, I also take issue with this new use of the word cultivar in referring to just any run of the mill cross and hybrid of a hybrid of a hybrid... so many people are growing pot these days who have no idea what is in the genetics of their weed.

Yes, we have bred some amazing varieties of pot over the last 20 years or so and since they have been bred, using the normal process, the vast majority of the varieties of pot are just that... they are varieties and mixes on the main landrace strains, and as such, only the most pure of these are known to me to be true varieties. The rest are hybrids upon hybrids upon hybrids... seldom taking the time to stabilize on specific original traits.

Occasionally we attempt to do better than Mother Nature, and engineer a specifically engineered and highly cultivated variety using non natural methods, such as genetic splicing or somatic breeding, to produce a cross that has not or could not happen naturally. I will be growing one of these out in my next run. These non natural hybrids are what I now refer to as cultivars. They are special, and somehow, IMHO, should be elevated above the mundane (yawn) level of the typical hybrid, instead of just being another hoity-toity way of saying variety.

Thank you @Emilya for your response. I always appreciate reading your wisdom and perspective. I would have to strongly agree that the genetics of our current plant varieties is widely unknown. So many growers have been more concerned about improving thc percentages. Also, not as concerned with keeping lineages and known genetics. I still have so much to learn about cannabis genetics, cultivars, strains, or however we want to refer them as.

Do you feel that some of the most respected breeders and seed banks have known genetics? How about a nursery that has kept specific lines of mothers to produce clones?

I recently purchased some clones and seedlings from a dispensary. The specific "strains" I got as seedlings were GG4 and Purple Punch. Being that they were from seed who really knows how good the pheno will be right? The large majority of variety is going to come from planting seeds. Not clones.

The cannabis culture is something that has evolved over time as well. Terminology and legality has changed a lot. It is definitely more mainstream than it has ever been in my lifetime. I am happy about that. I am not happy about the way it is treated now though...a cash crop. I mainly keep to myself and enjoy my plant. I look forward to being about to enjoy my own harvest. Hopefully this year's grow will succeed. Over my lifetime, I look forward to growing many types of seeds and getting to know or recognize specific variety characteristics. Again, I appreciate your insight.

I'm a little stoned right now...i hope what i wrote makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom