DeanB's Winter Grow In Progress

I figured out how long they have been flowering.
Day 12, I believe they are done stretching. Time to trim?
I normally just let everything grow and cut the large buds when they are ready, then lift the pots up to the light to finish the shorter ones.

20170115_124822.jpg
20170115_124645.jpg
20170115_123118.jpg
20170115_122903.jpg
20170115_124043.jpg

I would pollinate branches so that they have a good six weeks or so for the seeds to mature so maybe 2 weeks into an indica or 3/4 weeks into a Sativa. The longer the better in my opinion as my first seeding attempt a lot of the seeds were too immature to grow, but you have to balance it between bud growth and seed growth if you want both from that plant, if only seeds then I would suggest as soon as true flowers are showing (I'm greedy and wanted bud from mine too). If you ever want to make feminised seeds then I have a write up in my journal about using colloidal silver to stress a branch of a female plant to turn it male and then use that pollen on a female for 99.9% or so feminised seeds. Let me know and I'll hunt through and send you the link, it's a lot easier than you think although it does go against the purist side of my growing nature :thumb:

Sounds good H.Hobbyist, that means I need to get busy because they are nearing 3 weeks. I was thinking of shaking the plant to knock off as much pollen as I can then sweeping it into a plastic container. After that I need to cover the plant with a plastic bag except for the bud I want to pollinate. That means I need to remove her from the cabinet with the other female. How long before I can put her back?

Hey Dean apologies but I just looked for my write up but it's basically disjointed and spread throughout my Bulldog thread, what I will do is cherry pick what I need and rewrite a condensed version as there is so much going on in that thread and plus I had a name change since so you may be confused as to who is who and saying what, which isn't what you really need right now so instead I will just try and answer your questions to the best of my ability until someone that does this on a regular basis can step in, I did my research though and everything works when I do it (in my slip shod irregular fashion) so I may be able to stop you from making any fatal errors.

First of all the pollen is a lot lighter than you may think so if you're going to shake that plant then you will want something under, over in fact just put it in the bag and do it, in an isolated place of course. After that just use a pastry brush or something similar to apply it to the girl in question, this will minimise the risk of infecting all the branches in case you only want to pollinate one. If you want a full pollination then you could take them both to an isolated place and just bash one against the other ;)

When I pollinated mine I wasn't concerned about cross pollination as I had only the plants in there that I wanted pollinating, in your case I would suggest leaving the pollinated girl out for a few days and then misting her down before putting her back into the tent. Now I only learned this myself recently but once pollen gets wet it's lifespan becomes around 24 hours, so mist her up and don't let her touch any other plants and after 24 hours there will be no problems of her brushing up against other girls and pollinating them.

I'm still not sure that I would want to risk it if there were other girls in the tent that I really did not want pollinating but the science is all there. :thumb:

Hey DeanB, yes it is me and apologies for any confusion. Unfortunately due to the legalities of growing, cultivating etc where I am I had a bit of a scare and asked to change my name quick sharp as foolishly I use it elsewhere, all fixed now though. That male is looking great, ready to pop. Will you be storing excess pollen in the fridge? If you do then make sure there is no chance of condensation and that everything is bone dry before it goes into storage. I have mine in a paper bag, inside a plastic bag, inside a plastic bottle inside another plastic bag, likewise with my seeds. I also have some pollen wrapped the same way in the freezer and I believe this is also a viable way to store...just don't do that with your seeds as the freezing process will cause the cell membrane to rupture, in effect killing off the seed :thumb:

Looking good over here Dean, hows the pollination going?

Keep em frosty ya'll

Thanks, the pollination looks like it went well. The one bud I pollinated does look different than the rest, I hope that also means no other buds got pollinated too. I bagged off the whole plant except the one bud, then I used a pipe cleaner and dipped it into the pollen to then put it onto the hairs. I'm going to grow the bud out so I can smoke it :bong:

Back
Top Bottom