Deep Water Culture Grow Journal, 1st Timer, No Experience

Re: Deep Water Culture Grow Journal, 1st timer, No exp..

Guys.

I was looking for some supplies, and came across this product.

Check this out. Not "terrible" priced at $125.00

IceProbe Thermoelectric Aquarium Chiller (Coolworks)
This is the ideal cooling solution for small aquariums--55 gallons or less. It is a quiet, reliable & efficient chiller uses advanced thermoelectric technology to directly convert electricity into cooling power

Anyone have any experience with this product?

SF

PS. Have a great holiday weekend!

Speyeder is using that one right now. Check out the grow: Speyedr's White Widow Deep Water Culture SCROG, House & Garden Nutes - 1st grow EVER!

thanks joe, those plants look phenominal

I posted this in response to miller162 in my thread but I thought I'd re-post here for y'all:

Up to this point I would highly recommend it for the money. My space temp tops out around 78f before the exhaust vents it down to 75f. Res temp doesn't go above 69f with this chiller.

That said you do have to fully insulate your res, and I have my little PC Fan contraption though I can't say how much that helps. Also, once I am in flower (hopefully someday soon) my room temps will be lowered and res temp control should be easier. I question whether the Ice Probe will be necessary or if it will pull the temps down too much. Stayed tuned for that.

I chose the Ice Probe because I am not home most of the day and cannot monitor as much as I would like. Also, I am not planning on moving up to DWC buckets or anything else like a larger res, etc. as my whole setup is designed around keeping the limited space I have in mind. Any more than 6gal would be a challenge for this little guy. Two or more would be necessary and then you may as well get a real chiller.

If I had the time to add frozen bags / bottles a few times a day and did not want the expense I would try that route first, along with all of the other recommendations like lowering space temps and raising the res for air flow, etc.

If I were investing in the long haul and planning multiple grows/year, possible upgrades to res size, DWC setups, external res, etc. I would go the other way and invest in an inline chiller, easily twice the cost if not more. It is however more controllable and flexible for design considerations.

The Ice Probe is perfect for this application given all of my variables. You just have to really examine your individual setup and see if it fits.

Hope this was helpful and Ill be stopping by your journal.

Guys.

I was looking for some supplies, and came across this product.

Check this out. Not "terrible" priced at $125.00

This is the ideal cooling solution for small aquariums--55 gallons or less. It is a quiet, reliable & efficient chiller uses advanced thermoelectric technology to directly convert electricity into cooling power

Anyone have any experience with this product?

SF

PS. Have a great holiday weekend!

Dude, not reading my journal anymore huh? <SNIFF>

Seriously though, it's a decent product and can be had for about $100 from an online aquarium store. If anyone wants the link PM me so I don't piss off our sponsors.

Dude, not reading my journal anymore huh? <SNIFF>

Seriously though, it's a decent product and can be had for about $100 from an online aquarium store. If anyone wants the link PM me so I don't piss off our sponsors.

S.

Of course I'm following your journal! And about 40 others. Sometimes it's really, really difficult to remember who does what. And after VapedOutJoe posted that, I went back and re-read your J from the beginning, and honestly, you kind of sneaked that in. I didn't connect (stoner moment) that that's the device that you were using. Doh! I don't recall on your journal if you definitively said that it worked, or not. But the summary you just wrote up and posted is a +reps post!

As I said on your journal, I'm glad you two guys got together here! Such a 420 community!

Have a great day!
SF

PS. Speyder, your plants are looking stellar! Nice job!

S.

Of course I'm following your journal! And about 40 others. Sometimes it's really, really difficult to remember who does what. And after VapedOutJoe posted that, I went back and re-read your J from the beginning, and honestly, you kind of sneaked that in. I didn't connect (stoner moment) that that's the device that you were using. Doh! I don't recall on your journal if you definitively said that it worked, or not. But the summary you just wrote up and posted is a +reps post!

As I said on your journal, I'm glad you two guys got together here! Such a 420 community!

Have a great day!
SF

PS. Speyder, your plants are looking stellar! Nice job!

Thanks for the kind words Stink. I was just pullin' your chain, but I didn't know it would make you feel so guilty :;):

Thanks for the kind words Stink. I was just pullin' your chain, but I didn't know it would make you feel so guilty :;):

I just don't like to think I dropped the ball.

:cheesygrinsmiley:

It's all good man!

SF

PS. I'm going back to "lurking" mode. ;-)

Photo0204.jpeg

Planted 3/23, so what about 3 weeks now?

Photo0203.jpeg

NO idea what is goin on with this lil gal...she seems to just be stuck??...

Photo0204.jpeg

Planted 3/23, so what about 3 weeks now?

Photo0203.jpeg

NO idea what is goin on with this lil gal...she seems to just be stuck??...

Looks fine to me. I answered a little more in depth on the other thread.

Maybe she is just a slow grower. A "runt". I don't know, but I don't see anything "wrong"

:cheesygrinsmiley:

Looking good bro. Dropping by to show some love.

SF

thanks sf rep for you

And also thanks rpsmoke you made things clear, worst case scenerio just a bad apple, but im gonna just let it do whatever it is gonna do. rep for you too

And actually most of the growth seems to be on the first node....like 3finger leaves growing big off that node...strange but oh well

Your water temp is going to become the same as your air temp eventually, blowing air on the box will just make that happen faster.

The easiest way to drop your temp is to blow air across the water in your box. They sell little fans in fish stores for this for about $10. Depending on your rooms RH this can drop the temp up to 10 degrees. The advantage is that it's a cheap way to cool, the disadvantage is it's only good up to a point and it adds RH to the closet. Seems like you have one spot that isn'T used so you could blow the air in there.

As far as that plant that looks stopped, well it looks like the growing tip is dead but can't tell from the pic.

thanks JF, my res temp is actually perfect....never rises over mid-70s...usually around high-60s.....so what do you think i should do about the one that quit growing upward?

In the pic you're showing the leaf, what about the growing tip at the node? If it looks dead then there is not much you can do about it, sometimes they will throw out a new growing tip but it takes time.

yes you are correct JF, the plant has put most of its engery toward root develepment, i know it isnt dying or anything, but i feel like yes, no more top growth in like a week...its like a tell tale sign right? Well i Just tied down the top and hoping i can maybe start a new main stem by exposing the lower first node to alot of light, maybe that will work? Tell me what you think, thanks man. REP

The reason i am tying it down fyi, is because yeah the Node seems to be having more aggresive growth than the top...the top just stopped, but little 3 finger leaves on the Only Node develeping quickly.

being tied over should make it do something! Hopefully a new branch will start heading for the sky

well im sure a little LST wont hurt...

If it has a growing shoot on any node than the plant will be fine. The hormones automatically go to the top growing shoot, not the top fan leaf so you don't have to tie anything down, just let it grow. It might take some time though.

Cannabis normally likes to grow in one single main stalk but by turning it on it's side you "confuse" the plant. The auxins then get directed up, to all upward growing shoots. When you tie the top grow tip below the rest of the plant the plant has the same reaction as topping... "oh shit something is wrong" effect... and the axial growth tips are redistributed. The key to LST is to create a horizontal plane of buds so that they all get the same light and grow at the same rate. You end up with a bush of many colas instead of the traditional christmas tree bud plant with one main cola.

So if the top, for some reason, has stalled, or stopped, turning it on it's side might kick start another shoot to grow more rapidly.

Not arguing in anyway, simply adding to the info! :peace:

Cannabis normally likes to grow in one single main stalk but by turning it on it's side you "confuse" the plant. The auxins then get directed up, to all upward growing shoots. When you tie the top grow tip below the rest of the plant the plant has the same reaction as topping... "oh shit something is wrong" effect... and the axial growth tips are redistributed. The key to LST is to create a horizontal plane of buds so that they all get the same light and grow at the same rate. You end up with a bush of many colas instead of the traditional christmas tree bud plant with one main cola.

So if the top, for some reason, has stalled, or stopped, turning it on it's side might kick start another shoot to grow more rapidly.

Not arguing in anyway, simply adding to the info! :peace:

Thanks RP, for your kind and wise words.

just scanned all your pics..... lookin' GOOD!!

----SUBSCRIBED..... and here to assist if needed. :peace::nicethread:

Back
Top Bottom