Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

Re: Roseman's Deep Water Culture Tutorial, SH Kit & DIY

Mostly Crazy is our Chief Deep Water Culture and most knowledgeable in growing with bubbles. He gives great advice!

Hail to the Chief!

Alright you guys, cut it out! There are many fine growers on this site. I just have a lot of time to play on the computer and all I know I learned from others.

MC, I just had to second what Roseman said. When I first found this tutorial and asked questions, a few people would give responses, but I would always wait for Roseman to reply because I didn't know who anyone else was. I thought Roseman did a good thing to reassure newbies that there are other people here who they can trust, you specifically. :smokin:

(Besides, I love that phrase! And I can say it about you without choking on the words, SF should like that comment!)

Flushing?

Flushing is using straight water with no nutrients for a period of time, before harvesting. Most growers do it 48 hours to a week before harvesting.

In the book GROW GREAT Marijuana by Logan Edward, he says if you manicure the buds very closely, and remove every leaf, then there is no need to Flush, because the mineral-fertilizer-nutrient taste is not stored in the pistils, or calyxes or buds or flowers, but only in the leaves.

He says
Preharvest flushing puts the plant(s) under serious stress. The plant has to deal with nutrient deficiencies in a very important part of its cycle. Strong changes in the amount of dissolved substances in the root-zone stress the roots, possibly to the point of direct physical damage to them. Many immobile elements are no more available for further metabolic processes. We are loosing the fan leaves and damage will show likely on new growth as well.

The grower should react in an educated way to the plant needs. Excessive, deficient or unbalanced levels should be avoided regardless the nutrient source. Nutrient levels should be gradually adjusted to the lesser needs in later flowering. Stress factors should be limited as far as possible. If that is accomplished throughout the entire life cycle, there shouldn't be any excessive nutrient compounds in the plants tissue. It doesn't sound likely to the author that you can correct growing errors (significant lower mobile nutrient compound levels) with preharvest flushing.

Drying and curing (when done right) on the other hand have proved (In many studies) to have a major impact on taste and flavour, by breaking down chlorophylls and converting starches into sugars. Most attributes blamed on unflushed buds may be the result of unbalanced nutrition and/or overfert and unproper drying/curing.

I stand by I did flush my first grow and not flush the next 6 grows and I can not tell any difference. I now do not ever flush and never will, I do and will continue to manicure very close and I never get or got any mineral-fertilizer taste in my buds.

Hey Roseman quick question on this. Didn't you mention at some point that you actually want to stress your plant? I thought you had said to twist a branch with your fingers, and scratch some plants with your fingernails before harvest?

Hey Roseman quick question on this. Didn't you mention at some point that you actually want to stress your plant? I thought you had said to twist a branch with your fingers, and scratch some plants with your fingernails before harvest?

Yep,
a plant protects itself from cold and insects by making more trichs. It reacts to stress by making more trichs and more growth hormones.
Go back to page 13 in this Tutorial.

And welcome to 420, I hope you hang around and grow with us.

Yup, you want a mix all the time. Typically we say 75/25 6500k/ 2700k for veg and the opposite for flower, but it's not written in stone.

ok so say i have 3-2700k reds and 3-6500 blues ,could i leave the blues like they are
HNI_0021.JPG
and drop the reds inbetween both growslike this
HNI_0039.JPG

RoseMan,

What Can I say that others have not all ready said....:thumb:

Just finished reading all of this, and like all your other threads etc etc. the same high Quality ... Reps to you man and the best of health in the years to follow...:welldone:

I`m sure I will have some ?`s for you and others when ever I get my card,and start my grow, damn they can be slow....:420:now I must check things out over there....

Thanks ever so much once again!!!!

RoseMan,

What Can I say that others have not all ready said....:thumb:

Just finished reading all of this, and like all your other threads etc etc. the same high Quality ... Reps to you man and the best of health in the years to follow...:welldone:

I`m sure I will have some ?`s for you and others when ever I get my card,and start my grow, damn they can be slow....:420:now I must check things out over there....

Thanks ever so much once again!!!!

I'm glad you're here and very gald to see you join our gang. Please visit the Deep Water Culture Home Thread soon.

when using your nutes .Do you have to ease up on the strength of the nutes because it always being feed nutes and the roots can get burned ..I've bee thinking about doing my setup like this (Deep Water Culture )...I really need help with this question....

No, you run your nutes at a certain level measured in parts per million ( ppm). This is best done by a tds (total disolved solids) meter or by simply following the directions on the nute product you purchase. You increase your dosage as the plant matures.

Welcome to the Deep Water Culture! I hope you stick around. We can help you and then you can help others.

Thanks bro I'm new , But i have another question for you what is the ppm suppose to be ....0 to 300ppm

Here's a nute chart from general hydroponics, a well know nute supplier.

GENERAL HYDROPONICS

You can change the res size to match the amount of water in your tank - the SH system uses 6 gallons. It gives you a good idea of the nute level and ppm you can expect and shoot for. Pay not attention to all the other products listed on this calculator. What you will be looking for is Flora series Grow, Micro and Bloom. In general you start with a 1/4 dose when they have two sets of real leaves and then bum it up slowly as the plants mature and have bigger stronger root systems.

Check out the index on this thread referred to on the first post. Read about all the things that interest you first and then read the rest and you will be ready to grow.

Stop by the Deep Water Culture home anytime for some great info from some incredible growers.

Also check out the Feeding in Deep Water Culture thread by Roseman in my signature.

when using your nutes .Do you have to ease up on the strength of the nutes because it always being feed nutes and the roots can get burned ..I've bee thinking about doing my setup like this (Deep Water Culture )...I really need help with this question....

Back
Top Bottom