But that would be an interesting side study. Two clones, one in soil with timing according to the study and proper LWA's, and the second with NineToes' approach.
And then send us a reasonable sample of each so we can do a decent comparison!!!!! :ciao: :rofl:

reasonable sample
Yah, I agree.. 5 plants in each situation under otherwise identical conditions, and than about a gram each. I think we also need a regular plant .. gotta take this stuff serious, right :)

Only partly joking .. I wish I had the space to trial and test like that :(

Ahh, but it wouldn't happen that much quicker then the hydroton would it? There would be a difference in time, but how remarkable would that difference be? And is the duration of the drought more important, or the droughting itself?
I think the hydroton does hold more water than perlite. It is about 10% more in a hempy rez, but the clay balls also hold onto moisture themselves.

Bingo! And that is why I believe that the LWA is the key.
A longer drought might produce a more profound effect, not too sure on that, and it's a line of thought to explore/discuss.
But the leaves would not show any wilt until the soil is fairly dry, correct? Meaning any time prior to that, would not have as large an impact IMO. I'd love to hear an actual why, that part would be more important.
I guess the real question on the time thing is "is there anything of importance happening in that nine day period, or is it just used to dry the medium out to get to the magic moisture level that then starts the process?"

If the latter then we're really talking about 2 days of actual magic preceded by a variable dryout period depending on what media is used.

If the former, then for hempy and hydro it would require some fertigating at some lower amount to keep the plant alive in that first nine day period.

hempy would be similar or the same, imo
Agreed, the hydroton might have retained a bit more moisture (regular top feed fertigation, every few hrs). But I think the difference would be measured in hrs instead of days.
I guess the real question on the time thing is "is there anything of importance happening in that nine day period, or is it just used to dry the medium out to get to the magic moisture level that then starts the process?"
That is the real question. And I think the answer is what decides the best approach. Gonna have to re-read @Maritimer and Krissi's Posts, I wouldn't be surprised if the answer was actually already on here :laughtwo:
If the latter then we're really talking about 2 days of actual magic preceded by a variable dryout period.

If the former, then for hempy and hydro it would require some fertigating at some lower amount to keep the plant alive in that first nine day period.
I know that I'll continue for now to do the quicker drought with the LWA approach, however I will keep an open mind, and see about possibly doing an extended drought approach next summer on an indoor.
That being said, I'm more importantly going to keep an open mind and try to do some more reading- soon as I squeeze in the time :rofl:

Thank you for this thread! I've been away for a bit (moved across country, quit growing until I got settled), but I have a plant (Dope Seeds' Kalashnikov -- a seed I won from a 420mag contest!) that's about 6ish weeks into flower now. The breeder's website says she'll probably finish at 8/9 weeks, so I'm getting very close to what I understand to be "ideal" drought timing. I'm growing her in hempy, though, so I'm afraid to go the full 11 days. Any guidance on that? Maybe 7 or 8? Or should I judge the timing by the wilt factor?
Hiii!! You are so welcome and we are so happy to have you!! Always judge by the LWA factor! I am actually going to be doing a conference/lecture call with my mentor about this, this evening. I'm compiling a list as we speak of main questions regarding mediums, environmental issues and all around active concerns from the viewers and commentary on this thread so far...I will be more than happy to discuss this further with you at that juncture! But as far as the list goes you are first on it...just so everyone knows I am moving down comment by comment to make sure I get all questions properly addressed in a timely manner!

Thank you in advance to everyone for your time, your patience, your curiosity and your commitment to growing the best medicine around!

16411526648003269600857413525876.jpg

Hiii!! You are so welcome and we are so happy to have you!! Always judge by the LWA factor! I am actually going to be doing a conference/lecture call with my mentor about this, this evening. I'm compiling a list as we speak of main questions regarding mediums, environmental issues and all around active concerns from the viewers and commentary on this thread so far...I will be more than happy to discuss this further with you at that juncture! But as far as the list goes you are first on it...just so everyone knows I am moving down comment by comment to make sure I get all questions properly addressed in a timely manner!

Thank you in advance to everyone for your time, your patience,your curiosity and your commitment to growing the best medicine around!

16411526648003269600857413525876.jpg
Thank you Krissi, take care of yourself and that wonderful family of yours :hug:

OK guys I've got everyone down here on my discussion sheet...I want you to know how very much I appreciate all of your insight and well wishes for both this thread and my family!! It's tough being a single mom (as TK is sick) with 11 plants and a 2 year old and a 37 year old locked sick in the bedroom. But I want to do my very best to serve everyone well. I know I can't be everywhere but I'm trying to be wherever I can when I can. I'm using his nap time to write all these questions out so I have it ready for my lecture with @Maritimer . I'll be back with an oop-load (I made that up) of answers and further discussion points!

I haven't forgotten any of you!

16411540583971251525191394469487.jpg

16411540677741046501628836310845.jpg

Bingo! And that is why I believe that the LWA is the key.
A longer drought might produce a more profound effect, not too sure on that, and it's a line of thought to explore/discuss.
Another question to Rexer's point and probably also @Nine Toed Hippie 's experiment is, is there any downside to going beyond the specified LWA? How exact does one need to be in monitoring the progress?

After all, we're hobby growers for the most part, and not focused on the plants 24/7. Or at least I should speak for myself.

LWA

i think important to note that the leaf wilt was just a measuring device, nothing more

it was used to measure, visually, when the plant moisture level , and possibly the substrate moisture level was at a certain percentage

the study explains it better

i would also appreciate any links to other studies i was suggested to read as well,, i can find none on my own

many thanks

LWA

i think important to note that the leaf wilt was just a measuring device, nothing more

it was used to measure, visually, when the plant moisture level , and possibly the substrate moisture level was at a certain percentage

the study explains it better

i would also appreciate any links to other studies i was suggested to read as well,, i can find none on my own

many thanks
The LWA is what allows us to do this stress in a controlled manner. It is of upmost importance and relevance here not just a measuring device

I’m just doing the drought and watching as I go. At 6 days now normally water every 4th day. Definitely getting stickier! to Krissi and all others for this
1AB40EC9-3C8E-4B62-BE7A-3B21EAD40EA6.jpeg
C0936D3E-FB66-46E9-9892-394ED33E0491.jpeg
87C6FF8C-1312-4375-9388-985EA1A5601D.jpeg
When I did my first and most actually, I had a much looser approach like you!! It's not a hard thing to do more of a harder concept for some people to grasp. Buuuut you see it!! That sticky icky baby!!! Just wait!! I can't touch my plants half the time without getting stuck to them during and after a drought and GORGEOUS PLANT!!

@Mlburk1 I accidentally lifted my droughting G-13 into my fan today lol and clipped off a 3 day droughting nugger (7 wks 3 days) I trimmed it...already just look at her! So glad you are on board! Wait for that medicinal smoke though!

20220102_140933.jpg

20220102_140741.jpg

20220102_140722.jpg

The LWA is what allows us to do this stress in a controlled manner. It is of upmost importance and relevance here not just a measuring device

exactly,, it is to measure something that is repeatable,, so it can be repeated,, it is a measuring device, only

it is a result, not a cause

exactly,, it is to measure something that is repeatable,, so it can be repeated,, it is a measuring device, only

it is a result, not a cause
We want those results and we already know the cause cause of the science in leaf morphologies and plasticity

@Mlburk1 I accidentally lifted my droughting G-13 into my fan today lol and clipped off a 3 day droughting nugger (7 wks 3 days) I trimmed it...already just look at her! So glad you are on board! Wait for that medicinal smoke though!

20220102_140933.jpg

20220102_140741.jpg

20220102_140722.jpg
That looks awesome ! I learned from Justin at “budget led” to use UV and make your plant wait for water. Never watered any earlier than 4 days. I am down with this just watch them as you go

That looks awesome ! I learned from Justin at “budget led” to use UV and make your plant wait for water. Never watered any earlier than 4 days. I am down with this just watch them as you go
Thats another cool tid bit of info, thanks Burk!! Absolutely, they talk to you!

Hiii!! You are so welcome and we are so happy to have you!! Always judge by the LWA factor! I am actually going to be doing a conference/lecture call with my mentor about this, this evening. I'm compiling a list as we speak of main questions regarding mediums, environmental issues and all around active concerns from the viewers and commentary on this thread so far...
Thank you so much! I look forward to learning more about this growing technique!

Back
Top Bottom