DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest

Curious - how are you drying current crop?
I washed it, in a 4 bucket wash, then hung it to drip dry on my clothes line for maybe 2 hours. Then hung it in my flower room for maybe 3 days. Then plucked the buds off then put it in jars with the lid off for I think a week. I’m guesstimating which means that could be anything from 4-10 days lolll

Then I put the lids on and burped them a fair bit every day.

The humidity in the jars is now 63%-69% 3 weeks and 3 days on. No signs of mould, and it is starting to smell like buds again rather than hay. It looks quite nice too, like kept its colour. Particularly the Shiskaberry.

The longer you can hang them the better, if you can keep them from overdrying on the lines. I aim for at least a week. The hay smell will go faster if the chlorophyll can outgas in the open air. Tougher to do when spending most of the day cooped up in a jar.
My flower room is not very practical as a dry room because I need to keep the humidity on the lower side so my flowering girls don’t go mouldy which is why I’m interested in learning other dry methods. I have a humidifier in there and keep the room humidity at 50%-55%, and I also have 2 fans in there, both prolly cause the dry to go faster than what’s ideal.

I agree. I think I’m just super scared of it getting too dry. Hmmmm I don’t think I know what chlorophyll is.

The longer you can hang them the better, if you can keep them from overdrying on the lines. I aim for at least a week. The hay smell will go faster if the chlorophyll can outgas in the open air. Tougher to do when spending most of the day cooped up in a jar.
Hiya Shed!
I'm in SoCal where it is typically still very hot in October. I can't hang dry inside the house, so into the patio fridge it goes. I've got one more plant to harvest in another 7-10 days and if this cooler weather keeps up I may hang outside to dry (or at least some of it).

I'm in Los Angeles but close enough to the ocean that the RH is pretty high at night. I hang dry in a large cardboard box that I've drilled holes in so I can have total control over airflow with just a couple of t-shirts!

full

Holes bottom right and top left. First 24 hours I have a small fan on the lower holes to drive off the bulk of the moisture. From that point on I change fan speed, oscillate it, cover lower or upper holes, all depending on the RH in the room and in the box.

It's what makes plants green when they're alive and then smell like hay as they dry after harvest. You want it to be mostly gone before you seal the jars for curing so the microbes can spend their time munching on sugars and starches from that point on.
Ok thanks :)

FYI I found this youtube video of an interesting curing method. A lot of work for a small grow, but if you have a LOT this would be very efficient.

Search for this title:

DIY: An Innovative, Automated Cannabis Curing System / Derek Gilman / Green Flower​

Azi just posted that in another thread about half an hour ago! I dry for longer than Derek, so once I go to the cure stage I no longer need to burp. He only dries for 12 days, and he probably wouldn't need to burp his cure either if he dried for longer.

What RH / temp do you recommend for hanging? I started at 60% and after a few days slowly move up to 65% to try to extend it. It always feels like a gamble past 4 or 5 days with the risk of over drying and ruining the cure!

I got it at 62% now, a little warm at 70F. Small stems are starting to get that snap. I got the 2 gal pails and turkey bags ready man they aren’t cheap! What makes them more effective than zip locks?

Everything costs more these days, and everything costs more in Canada always!

I don't think they're more effective than ziplocs, just bigger and less rigid, so less rubbing against the buds. I guess if they make ziplocs that will fit an 18 pound bird you could give them a try, but I like the fact that I can open the bags up and roll the top down to keep them open and flat. Can't do that with ziplocs.

Fair enough can’t hurt to try!

@GratefulBud and anyone else who thinks they might have advice, please help me :)

I have zero idea what I’m doing wrong. The practice Tangerine Dream bud I took is already in jars she went in day 11 and the last of it went in today - so not slow. It is 61% in the jar. I am finding once it hits 35% humidity in the fridge bag I need to get it in a jar ASAP.

So obviously it’s not the slow dry I’m aiming for. My line drying is always ready for the jar in 3-4 days. Even in 65% humidity and total darkness. Maybe my air is weird, omg I don’t know, I’m just clutching at straws trying to work it out. Lollllllinggggg.

I have been writing down my humidity since 02/11 because I think I will remember the numbers, but of course I don’t. And as you can see my humidity temps are up and down like a brides nightie! I’m rotating the bud through the fridge from the top cheese sort of section, to the shelves, to the fruit and veg crisper. I am shaking twice a day and recording. The temp of the room I do it in is 65%. Not sure if that even matters lollll.

Should I pull it out and air dry from this point or just trust the process? My climate doesn’t seem to follow the same rules as the majority of growers in here.

I just don’t know what to do. And I want whatever decision I make on it going forward to be informed. They bud looks so beautiful, I’d hate to ruin it.

Here are my fridge humidity bag temps. All advice appreciated:)

9B56C9AA-A1FF-44B6-906F-8B0F52F2A989.jpeg
3E6289C9-97E9-40A7-851C-9579950B670F.jpeg

@GratefulBud and anyone else who thinks they might have advice, please help me :)

I have zero idea what I’m doing wrong. The practice Tangerine Dream bud I took is already in jars she went in day 11 and the last of it went in today - so not slow. It is 61% in the jar. I am finding once it hits 35% humidity in the fridge bag I need to get it in a jar ASAP.

So obviously it’s not the slow dry I’m aiming for. My line drying is always ready for the jar in 3-4 days. Even in 65% humidity and total darkness. Maybe my air is weird, omg I don’t know, I’m just clutching at straws trying to work it out. Lollllllinggggg.

I have been writing down my humidity since 02/11 because I think I will remember the numbers, but of course I don’t. And as you can see my humidity temps are up and down like a brides nightie! I’m rotating the bud through the fridge from the top cheese sort of section, to the shelves, to the fruit and veg crisper. I am shaking twice a day and recording. The temp of the room I do it in is 65%. Not sure if that even matters lollll.

Should I pull it out and air dry from this point or just trust the process? My climate doesn’t seem to follow the same rules as the majority of growers in here.

I just don’t know what to do. And I want whatever decision I make on it going forward to be informed. They bud looks so beautiful, I’d hate to ruin it.

Here are my fridge humidity bag temps. All advice appreciated:)

9B56C9AA-A1FF-44B6-906F-8B0F52F2A989.jpeg
3E6289C9-97E9-40A7-851C-9579950B670F.jpeg
Hi Trala!

I'm certain there are other members with much more experience than I who will hopefully chime in. I'll share my most recent process (this last one was my 3rd outdoor grow). I'd welcome others input on below as well.

For my particular setup (small outdoor fridge that has no auto-defrost) I place what looks to be about 28g of buds in a paper grocery bag and fold top over twice; paper clip to hold shut. Placed on wire rack; I try not to stack them but rather form triangles. I open bag and gently shake around once per day first 3 days, then once every 3-4 days. I have a digital controller turns on at 45F and off at 40F. Temp actually hovers around 48F on rack.

Inside of the fridge a hygrometer showed 60% first few days, then hovered around 50% for remainder. Inside the bags the RH% will most likely be higher - thats OK. The low temps will prevent mold growth.

From what I gather you would ideally want to go at least two weeks. My buds start looking ready after 12 days. I watch closely now - opening every day to check they don't get too dry. Once they just start to get crispy (frost leaves break off easily - lately about 14 days in fridge) I'll place into a sealed jar with a hygrometer inside. I let the jar come up to room temp - at least 2 hours - then check RH. If over 68% I place back into bags for another day.

Under 68% I leave in the jar in the fridge - open - for a few hours, then check again at room temp and jar sealed. Under 64% I just burp jars 2-3 times per day for a few days. I had to dance around a bit for a few days to get it stable at 62%, then I burped every few days for another week or two, then maybe oncer or twice per week for the first month.

This last batch - Wedding Cake - turned out really well! This plant did not have a real strong aroma to begin with, and the skunkiness definitely is diminished (probably due to wash), but I gotta say this smoke is really smooth. Not harsh at all and has a very nice yet subtle taste to it in a joint. I am very pleased with it - even though it is not real stinky. It's only been in the jar for about 3 weeks so it may get a better aroma come though. If not I'm OK with it. And it is potent.

Hope that helps!

Thank you so much. And it does :)

I don’t think I can safely go 14 days without over drying tho. But I will try. Once bags are at 35% I’m snorting the mission. Loll

Thanks again Scooby :)

Hi Trala!

I'm certain there are other members with much more experience than I who will hopefully chime in. I'll share my most recent process (this last one was my 3rd outdoor grow). I'd welcome others input on below as well.

For my particular setup (small outdoor fridge that has no auto-defrost) I place what looks to be about 28g of buds in a paper grocery bag and fold top over twice; paper clip to hold shut. Placed on wire rack; I try not to stack them but rather form triangles. I open bag and gently shake around once per day first 3 days, then once every 3-4 days. I have a digital controller turns on at 45F and off at 40F. Temp actually hovers around 48F on rack.

Inside of the fridge a hygrometer showed 60% first few days, then hovered around 50% for remainder. Inside the bags the RH% will most likely be higher - thats OK. The low temps will prevent mold growth.

From what I gather you would ideally want to go at least two weeks. My buds start looking ready after 12 days. I watch closely now - opening every day to check they don't get too dry. Once they just start to get crispy (frost leaves break off easily - lately about 14 days in fridge) I'll place into a sealed jar with a hygrometer inside. I let the jar come up to room temp - at least 2 hours - then check RH. If over 68% I place back into bags for another day.

Under 68% I leave in the jar in the fridge - open - for a few hours, then check again at room temp and jar sealed. Under 64% I just burp jars 2-3 times per day for a few days. I had to dance around a bit for a few days to get it stable at 62%, then I burped every few days for another week or two, then maybe oncer or twice per week for the first month.

This last batch - Wedding Cake - turned out really well! This plant did not have a real strong aroma to begin with, and the skunkiness definitely is diminished (probably due to wash), but I gotta say this smoke is really smooth. Not harsh at all and has a very nice yet subtle taste to it in a joint. I am very pleased with it - even though it is not real stinky. It's only been in the jar for about 3 weeks so it may get a better aroma come though. If not I'm OK with it. And it is potent.

Hope that helps!
Hello GB, really like how you broke down the process! If the lil ladies can make it to harvest, I will be referring to your post for guidance.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom