Ducted 8 inch fan, stealth set up

harryhampster3rd

Hi,
I made a wooden box for my 8 inch inline fan.
I made it from chipboard and put expandable foam in the box
around the fan.

I have the fan on 30 percent, and you cannot hear it.
Stealth is the best way.
Buy a variable speed controller for fan too.

Always use a 8 inch fan and ducting, it moves more air and is quieter
with the speed controller.

Otherwise a fan on maximum, is like a fucking aircraft coming in to land.

Also have to make sure the fan is able to run at different speeds, some it voids the warranty as they engineered to run at a certain speed and they not in "balance" at a lower speed and can have themselves for dinner. As when I bought mine at local Hydro Store they asked if I was going to run at variable speeds or not as then they could show me my options once they knew that.

Perfect timing for this thread. I am running into that same problem. The fan itself is not a problem it is stable and there is little vibration. As has been mentioned the exhaust noise is the problem. I like to run my fans 24/7 so it really matters for me.
I plan to try and build a manifold to help with that today. I will post pictures when I get it done.

What would be really cool is to have a variable that could be timed also. Run at 100% when lights are on then drop to 50% at night. I'm sure they make grow room controllers for this but the price would be out of our price ranges.

Well I managed to drop the exhaust noise to the point all you hear is the intake noise. On max speed there is a hollow whirling sound from inside the tent. That is it. I am sure some of that will go away once I get plants inside. At a slightly slower speed that goes away. I should be good to go.
My design can defiantly be improved upon. I just used what was on hand. Plus that heavy duty cardboard box the filter came in is what gave me the idea. Pretty simple really 1 6" hole going in 8 3" holes going out. I also have room for an eye sore right now lol. I used plenty Gorilla tape in its construction along with the HD cardboard so this won't be falling apart from the constant use.
This design also spreads the exhaust out throughout the room. This will be like adding 2 1000 wt heaters in the basement. Well 1 anyway. As only 1 light will be on at a time through flower. I will no longer need to heat the other space I was using. That with the savings I will get from extra heat from the lights will save me a buck or 2 this winter
View media item 1607222
View media item 1607223

I just bought a pretty expensive thyristor controller for my inline fan, but the fan starts to keep there high pitched resonations when I try to lower the speed. I would love to find a solution that would not cause any extra noise.

Hey bud,
That high pitch annoying noise is the motor itself, nothing can be done, the fans all whine after 6 months.
Put the fan in a cardboard box and fill with expandable foam. from hardware store.
and if you want really quiet, try insulated ducted 8 inch, low noise. worth it 80 bucks for a normal size tent.

Well I managed to drop the exhaust noise to the point all you hear is the intake noise. On max speed there is a hollow whirling sound from inside the tent. That is it. I am sure some of that will go away once I get plants inside. At a slightly slower speed that goes away. I should be good to go.
My design can defiantly be improved upon. I just used what was on hand. Plus that heavy duty cardboard box the filter came in is what gave me the idea. Pretty simple really 1 6" hole going in 8 3" holes going out. I also have room for an eye sore right now lol. I used plenty Gorilla tape in its construction along with the HD cardboard so this won't be falling apart from the constant use.
This design also spreads the exhaust out throughout the room. This will be like adding 2 1000 wt heaters in the basement. Well 1 anyway. As only 1 light will be on at a time through flower. I will no longer need to heat the other space I was using. That with the savings I will get from extra heat from the lights will save me a buck or 2 this winter
View media item 1607222
View media item 1607223
make sure the grow lights are on during the night, coldest part of day,
otherwise, you are growing in more heat,

remember, most strains from seed banks are grown in factory conditions.
humidity and temps are always keep in check.

Hey bud,
That high pitch annoying noise is the motor itself, nothing can be done, the fans all whine after 6 months.
Put the fan in a cardboard box and fill with expandable foam. from hardware store.
and if you want really quiet, try insulated ducted 8 inch, low noise. worth it 80 bucks for a normal size tent.

Won't it overheat if cocooned like that?

Back
Top Bottom