Fan speed help

I’m setting up a custom grow box. I have a Hurricane 4” inline fan and it is loud. I purchased a cheap fan speed controller (common design on Amazon) and it slows the speed but adds a it’s own noise. I heard that a variable voltage controller would be more effective slowing speed and the fan would be quieter. Need suggestions on a better controller, or other noise reduction ideas. Thanks

:welcome: to the forum...

Speed control is different for AC and DC motors. For most AC motors the frequency of the supplied power must be changed. For permanent magnet DC motors changing the supplied voltage works well.

To quiet your fan you can put it in an insulated box on a platform isolated from the box. Mount it on a piece of wood and set the wood / fan on insulation in the box. You can use insulated ducting, and a noise reducer to quiet the noise from air rushing through the ducts. You can also increase the size of the ductwork to slow the air moving through it.

Your other option is to change the fan for one that runs less noisily.

Also when trying to make it a variable speed fan, make sure the fan is designed for that as some it will void the warranty on it if you do that. Was one of the first questions the guys at the hydro store asked when I was buying a inline fan, and the one I got was one of those as I have no desire/need to change up the speed of it.

The Active air fan controller isn't supposed to have the extra noise produced by the knockoff brands.
It doesn't add extra noise to mine.

The Active air fan controller isn't supposed to have the extra noise produced by the knockoff brands.
It doesn't add extra noise to mine.

It's not the controller that adds noise. It's running the fan motor at anything besides design rpm that creates additional noise and often times vibrations. There are different types of motors and different types of speed controllers they don't always play well together.

I'm going by the site. Theirs is supposed to work with all centrifugal fans. It says its supposed to cut down on extra noise that the knockoffs have because it is a more precise controller.

Some of the reviews from people with the knockoff controllers experience extra noise.

I thought this is what the OP was referring to.

Check out the AC Infinity Cloudline S4 on amazon.

It'll run you about $90, BUT....

a) it comes with an 8 speed controller built-in
b) it's a DC motor
c) it uses a MAX of 29 watts (lower speeds, lower power consumption)
d) it has a MAX of 28 dB (lower speeds, less noise)

For reference, 28dB ain't squat for a fan, and low power use saves you in the long run too!

I have the 6in model, and it's fantastic.

:welcome: to the forum...

Speed control is different for AC and DC motors. For most AC motors the frequency of the supplied power must be changed. For permanent magnet DC motors changing the supplied voltage works well.

To quiet your fan you can put it in an insulated box on a platform isolated from the box. Mount it on a piece of wood and set the wood / fan on insulation in the box. You can use insulated ducting, and a noise reducer to quiet the noise from air rushing through the ducts. You can also increase the size of the ductwork to slow the air moving through it.

Your other option is to change the fan for one that runs less noisily.
Thanks. I will try rubber washers at the mounts and bought some acoustic deadening foam panels to surround and wrap.

Back
Top Bottom