Early Budding Sex Determination: Please Help Me!

Seniorweeder

As I have said in other post , I have 5 nice plants of 3 strains. They are 11 days into 12/12 lighting and finally showing signs of small budding. All are phenos and looking good to me. As I only have enough room for 2 maybe 3 plants at best in my 2'x4' grow box, I need desperately to determine the sex so I can remove any males? It will be hard on me as I have been doing my best to get them thus far with some struggles, but I need the space for a healthier grow. Also up to what point can a male and female remain in the same space without there being any chance of pollination? I have included pix of 4 of them up close at the upper most buds, hopefully the picture quality is good enough for U to identify as I am old and took them with my "FLIP" phone, U heard me right! If they need to get bigger just let me know how long to wait and I will do accordingly. Thanks as always for your efforts and support my new friends!

Buds 1.JPG

Buds 2.JPG

Buds 3.JPG

Buds 4.JPG

Looking great. Its nice to see ya bring it this far.

Males will make little balls and hang them. Even then there still are days until they open. You are safe right now. You will know before it's too late.

Personal opinion...
#1 - potential female. Still a touch early.
#2 - potential male due to multiple preflower nubs at the node. Watch closely.
#3 - potential male for same reasons above. Multiple nubs at a node. Watch closely.
#4 - potential female. Still too early to clearly tell.

Males usually show 1st.

Now that you got this, you can afford to drop some cash on some beans.

Thanks as always "Patient", this gives me some peace of mind because I was concerned that I may lose my whole grow by waiting too long to get the males out! I will get more pix in a few days, love all the help on this site!

Thanks as always "Patient", this gives me some peace of mind because I was concerned that I may lose my whole grow by waiting too long to get the males out! I will get more pix in a few days, love all the help on this site!

The balls don't show up and throw out pollen at the same time, takes days to mature so you have a window so to speak. Also you don't "lose your whole grow" so to speak, just "old school" having to pick out seeds from your buds ;). Which is really only an "end of the world" thing if growing commercially as it tanks the value if seeds in it, but growing for personal just more of a pain in the behind to pick them out like the old days. Yes the Flowers don't get as big if pollinated as it's focusing it's energy on maturing the seeds, but doesn't tank the potency as much as folks claim, as I have seen very little difference between a clone I pollinated on purpose and one of her sisters that wasn't far as the "high" goes.

The balls don't show up and throw out pollen at the same time, takes days to mature so you have a window so to speak. Also you don't "lose your whole grow" so to speak, just "old school" having to pick out seeds from your buds ;). Which is really only an "end of the world" thing if growing commercially as it tanks the value if seeds in it, but growing for personal just more of a pain in the behind to pick them out like the old days. Yes the Flowers don't get as big if pollinated as it's focusing it's energy on maturing the seeds, but doesn't tank the potency as much as folks claim, as I have seen very little difference between a clone I pollinated on purpose and one of her sisters that wasn't far as the "high" goes.
Thank U sooooooo much for your support grow friend, as I need all the help I can muster. I am hoping to remove any males this week as they reveal them selves. I just want to harvest 1 or 2 nice Females and I am a happy camper. But I will say I told my wife about your input and she is totally interested in doing some Canna-Butter, which may serve us well as a side effort with any Males as I have read up on! This site rocks, and U are awesome friend!

It’s probably my eyesight but it looks to me like the first 3 pictures are of males with multiple balls growing and the last picture a potential female. Just my 2 cents but good luck!

20201203_114132.jpg

Male. It would be a single pair of pistols or nothing at the point you're at. Those first ones ( now we've all been wrong before) are males. To be sure remove it from your grow and let it sit in a bright enough area that it wont die and give it week. The one in the pick blew balls out a couple days after I removed it. Good luck.

Thanks so much guys, Im a Newbie but have been doing a ton of home work and feel the same about the first 3 being male, I will take pix again in a day or so and hopefully we can make a final determination.

I read some new info just yesterday that shook me up a bit, claimed that too much temperature change during flower can cause a female to herm because it is stressed. My homemade grow box is in a cool room of the house. I read earlier that flowering likes lower RH and temps thank Veg so I have been trying to get about 60 at night and maybe 72/75 during day using a portable heater in the room, is that a safe range? U guys are AWESOME!

I just had a weird GMO photo go hermaphrodite on me. They were on an 18/6 schedule and at 8ish 9 weeks I flipped them all at once to 12/12 to force them into flower. About 4 weeks in the flowers were going nice and I thought I found a weird set of pistols so I clipped them out but wrote it off and didn't pay attention. I chopped last weekend and as the drying began, the flowers started showing these same weird "pistols"
20210119_150512.jpg

BAM! Kicked in the nuts feeling..BUT I dried some and its fvcking kickass, some eye lid dragging..I'm stunned actually because none of it seeded the other plants but I've found a couple so far in these flowers. Trash or not? I'm not willing to find out so I crushed them. I'm getting there, the light switching is my culprit I believe.
Your night temp is low, get it up to where your root temps are above 65f. My daytime might be above 82 with rootzone air temp about 70, canopy temps at 80+/2. Night time I have a temp controller/+heater that supplements a regular house central air temp to keep it above those numbers. Man this a winded post right? Are you getting confused? Lets add in some more variables lol not right now. Absorb and implement as much as you can from my ramblings, I only hope it helps calm your anxiety and makes you a better "cultivator" ;)

Yeah its the classic male crab shape pre flower
I gotta pondoland male just about to show me his nut sacs. Prettiest plant I've ever grown too and huge and nodes everywhere. I "used" to hate seeing those crab claws till this plant. Gonna hang on to him and get him his own apartment. lol

Males will make little balls and hang them. Even then there still are days until they open. You are safe right now. You will know before it's too late.

Personal opinion...
#3 - potential male for same reasons above. Multiple nubs at a node. Watch closely.

Males usually show 1st.

I agree #3 potential male my sour diesel showed true sex around day 6. If they have more then one calyx most likely male. They mature typically 2 weeks quicker then females.
I just had a weird GMO photo go hermaphrodite on me. They were on an 18/6 schedule and at 8ish 9 weeks I flipped them all at once to 12/12 to force them into flower. About 4 weeks in the flowers were going nice and I thought I found a weird set of pistols so I clipped them out but wrote it off and didn't pay attention. I chopped last weekend and as the drying began, the flowers started showing these same weird "pistols"
20210119_150512.jpg

BAM! Kicked in the nuts feeling..BUT I dried some and its fvcking kickass, some eye lid dragging..I'm stunned actually because none of it seeded the other plants but I've found a couple so far in these flowers. Trash or not? I'm not willing to find out so I crushed them. I'm getting there, the light switching is my culprit I believe.
Your night temp is low, get it up to where your root temps are above 65f. My daytime might be above 82 with rootzone air temp about 70, canopy temps at 80+/2. Night time I have a temp controller/+heater that supplements a regular house central air temp to keep it above those numbers. Man this a winded post right? Are you getting confused? Lets add in some more variables lol not right now. Absorb and implement as much as you can from my ramblings, I only hope it helps calm your anxiety and makes you a better "cultivator" ;)
Temp swings probably the culprit. But where the seeds from reliable source? If you try and pop those hermy seeds most likely ur goin to get another.

20201203_114132.jpg

Male. It would be a single pair of pistols or nothing at the point you're at. Those first ones ( now we've all been wrong before) are males. To be sure remove it from your grow and let it sit in a bright enough area that it wont die and give it week. The one in the pick blew balls out a couple days after I removed it. Good luck.
On top of that the pistil will never have a hair emerge

Personal opinion...

Males usually show 1st.

Correction with a 2nd look look like all 4 are male

20210119_150512.jpg

GMO - isnt that Cookies variant? They all do it just pick them off as they show up and usually when I see nanners its chop time. Every cookies plant I've ever grown did this.

Food for thought on the genetics - in this case you dont get what you paid for sadly.

Weed will be ok the seeds are fem and can run them too be ok.

It's part of the deal with running cookies fam genetics. Likely comes from the Durban thats in the genetic mix.

GMO - isnt that Cookies variant? They all do it just pick them off as they show up and usually when I see nanners its chop time. Every cookies plant I've ever grown did this.

Food for thought on the genetics - in this case you dont get what you paid for sadly.

Weed will be ok the seeds are fem and can run them too be ok.

It's part of the deal with running cookies fam genetics. Likely comes from the Durban thats in the genetic mix.
Garlic Mushroom Onion, is what I was told and it smells like it. Thank you for the info, I was thinking this morning, I might go ahead and keep them, free stuff? I like that!

GMO lol probably was give that and someone made that name up bc they didn't know what GMO stood for unless they bred it where there hell did they get mushroom genetically modified organism so an exotic or hybrid with what pheno? The geno would be Garlic cookies garlics breathe so where would mushrooms come from tho IMO not Durban poison. I vegged a sour diesel bean in 1 gal fabric pot until I could get a couple clones that long singular pisitil hair never emerged by day 6 was showing male. Coincidently was just talking how light strength with out hardening can turn hermy. I had some extra clipping rooted. So I stuck outside for fun. Not rvrnthinf about the sun being stronger duh 100 % success of turning all 8 that were 2nd gen from feminized hermy. At the same time I realized I moved the SD under a stronger lamp go run and look yep it turned but just should have known by the single long pistil . But ones inside were actually male. But a light leak can cause this

Back
Top Bottom