Emeraldo's 2021 East-Facing Balcony Grow

Hello all... haven't posted in about 6 weeks, took a trip and returned to find my girls had moved on into flower! They had some real heat in my absence.

Here's group shot:

Chrystal is an indica-leaning hybrid, and she grows and looks very sativa-like with her deep green, long and narrow leaves. A very tall plant, I topped her twice and she's still pushing the roof off the shed. My guess is she's about 3 weeks into flowering, beautiful buds forming all along the long stems and branches.

Afghani #1 by Sensi. Short and stocky, beautiful shape and leaf structure. Not flowering yet.

Here's a shot of Durban from today. It had a mite infestation, leaves were all covered with little white things. I sprayed with neem and it seems to have solved that problem. But she is still not flowering, though she has a wonderful aroma. That's Mexican Sativa on the right.

Mexican Sativa (from an S-1 seed) is a smaller plant than my Mex-Sat in 2018, but much the same structure and coloring. She's nicely flowering.

Hope all are well and enjoying your grows.

Great to hear from you Stunger!

Yeah, six weeks was a long time to be away. The plants weren't left all by themselves for that length of time. There was a "caretaker" who gave them water and did some observing. All in all, it worked out fine. They practically doubled in size during stretch. The acrylic roofing is great for light. It has a texture that refracts the light so that even at the end of the day with the sun moving away, the rays are redirected so light shines down on them. And as the temperatures get a bit cooler, the walls I built actually create a warmer area out of wind and cold. All in all a pretty good set up, sort of a semi-greenhouse.

Popped by your grow to see how yours are doing...

... but I see you haven't started germination yet.

Great to hear from you Stunger!

Yeah, six weeks was a long time to be away. The plants weren't left all by themselves for that length of time. There was a "caretaker" who gave them water and did some observing. All in all, it worked out fine. They practically doubled in size during stretch. The acrylic roofing is great for light. It has a texture that refracts the light so that even at the end of the day with the sun moving away, the rays are redirected so light shines down on them. And as the temperatures get a bit cooler, the walls I built actually create a warmer area out of wind and cold. All in all a pretty good set up, sort of a semi-greenhouse.

Popped by your grow to see how yours are doing...

... but I see you haven't started germination yet.
Well it's always a big relief to return back and at least discover your precious plants are still alive, even better when they have thrived as well. I would love to make a similar acrylic weather roof over my balcony to protect my crop from those high rain periods, but I wouldn't easily get permission.

No, I haven't kicked off any seeds yet. Haven't got that far, probably won't do so until another month. Last year I left it pretty late and they still surprised me for the size they got to. My grow balcony would be best with just 2 plants but I would really like to do 4 or 5 to get a nice selection, but it is really tricky to get around them in a stealthy fashion when too many. Decisions ahead... :smokin:

Girls are looking good, Em’o. Nice to see.
Were you off gigging somewhere?
Thanks DD. Nah, gigging in time of corona has been a "no-show" as to audiences (to say nothing of "no show" as to gigs).

Oct 1 photos -- I'll comment on them a bit later today

Chrystal:

Mexican Sativa:

Durban:

Afghani #1:

Chrystal:
This plant's mother was a reg Chystal female pollinated in 2016 by a reg Chrystal male. Mostly indica (White Widow X Northern Lights), this plant grew more like a sativa, sort of tall and gangly with longer narrow leaves. A vigorous plant, I topped her twice and she still reached the shed roof at its highest point. Now in about the 8th week of flowering, many trichs under the microscope already look opaque or cloudy, even some amber. A mild sweet spicy terpentiny aroma fills the air around her. She was one of my favorites from way back, am looking forward to getting to know her again. I expect she could use another 10 days.

Mexican Sativa:
I grew this from an S1 seed I found in bud from a Sensi's Mex-Sat I grew in 2018. Mostly sativa, looks like an indica (a Mexican Haze x Durban x Hashplant). She's in about the 5th week of flowering now but I don't expect to harvest her before Nov 7 or so. I harvested the mom in early November 2018, and this one does not look close to harvest. I am a bit concerned about the yellowish mainstem, I've not seen that before. Maybe she'll make it, if the yellowing (whatever it is) is harmless.

Durban:
This self-topped three-pronged 90% sativa is now in flowering and I don't expect to harvest until mid- to late-November. I would guess she is not in about the 4th week.

Afghani #1:
This is a mix of almost pure indica strains. I've not grown her before, but she sure is beautiful. The nicely spaced buds in xmas tree formation, coming along nicely. Now in about 3rd week, supposed should be ready in three weeks or so. Very much looking forward to this one.

But further to Stunger and Donkey Member, after that grow in California last year, this year's is just not the same and the difference is the climate. There I was at 38 N lattitude, here at 47. I can see what a great contribution cannabis breeders like Neville Schoenemakers made with hybrids that can grow in colder climes.

I thought it was a different facing balcony on your same house this year. Now I’m with you.
You must still have a bathtub full of buds from last year? That’s why I thought you were more low key with only 4 plants this time.
You don’t grow indoors?

California is a different climate in several aspects, including legality. I am moving away from there, so there won't be anymore west-facing balcony grows @ 38 N for me, though it will always be my best grow memory. The bathtub of buds will be mostly given away to neighbors. You know, you can't take it with you!

:laugh:

No, I've not grown indoors except for germinating. I love to read your posts and see your photos year round, always fascinating to see what you are able to do. You must have a whole hot tub of bud.

But further to Stunger and Donkey Member, after that grow in California last year, this year's is just not the same and the difference is the climate. There I was at 38 N lattitude, here at 47. I can see what a great contribution cannabis breeders like Neville Schoenemakers made with hybrids that can grow in colder climes.
I guess that is the reality that plants grow faster and bigger with lots of sunshine, which is terrific when your location has that, but otherwise you'd just have to hope the strain you're growing can happily adjust and still power out some quality bud at a lesser yield. Great when breeders like Neville S. can maximise things.

Indeed, Stunger my friend, that is the reality. Upside for my east-facing balcony is, in the agricultural area where the west-facing balcony is located, there was always dust, ash, probably agricultural chemicals, etc. in the air. Bud wash became a must. Air quality at the east-facing balcony is way better, practically mountain air. With the new pergola, the plants this year were more protected anyway. Downsides here are of course lower temps and shorter growing season, and adverse legal climate (which might change even in my lifetime!).

This morning I took a closer look at Chrystal. She is getting close. My best guess is she started flowering around the first week of August, and she's said to need 10 weeks flowering indoors. I was planning to let her go until October 10 or 15, but we have colder weather coming in a few days. Besides her trichs are almost all cloudy, with only a bit of clear, maybe 10%, and also maybe 5% amber. There are still a few whitish pistils, but not many new pistils forming. I may start removing all leaves that are still yellow in a day or two and then harvest in a week or so, I'll have to see.

She's the tallest in the grow, though she was topped twice. There must be a dominant sativa-growth gene in there, despite the fact her genetic mix can only be about 25%-35% sativa. She certainly has all the outward features of a sativa, tall with narrow leaves, buds creeping along the long branches. As I recall her effect, it has a strong indica body stone as well as a somewhat cerebral head high, looking forward to that.

Ah, the Afghani is getting me excited, too! Those pistils are long and plentiful, soon to be trichome encrusted. Here's another shot I took yesterday.

To darken the grow zone to near pitch-blackness at night, and to lengthen the dark period, I installed / hung thick groundcloths made for keeping the light out. We are already at 12/12 meteorologically, but there is a bit of light pollution from a nearby town and the neighbors have a remote-activated light on the stairway below that is a constant irritation because goes on and off all the time at night, throwing perhaps some indirect light at my girls. Well, no more. Today the blackout curtains went up on that side, and in the evening all sides will be dark.

The Afghani #1 is just a pleasure to look at. Like DD said, the autumn coloring is pretty. She was not topped at all, and no LST, just her natural shape without any pruning, she is only about 4 feet. Near perfect symmetry of the bud sites, and of course that supercola on top. I've not grown such a near-pure indica before, I'm not sure how long she'll need to go, they said 55 days for indoor and my guess is she started flowering about 3 weeks ago. Another month? She is already showing huge pistils and a sprinkling of trichomes is starting to show. Bud not stinky at all like I expected; very sweet flowery aroma with earthy undertones.

Durban is nicely flowering. The aroma is remarkably good, a unique mango-like smell. She was topped twice, and stopped stretching just short of the roof. I imagine the light coming in here on a cloudy day is about the same as in an indoor setup, wouldn't you think? Anyway, the buds are coming along nicely, trichomes starting to form.

Chrystal is definitely farthest along. Took a closer look again this morning and see whitish pistils are still forming. Most trichomes are cloudy, there are still quite a few clear so not quite ready. These are fine, headed trichs, they seem smaller than with other strains I've grown. Will give her until October 15. I harvested a popcorn from the bottom of the mainstem and quickdried it, will sample her, can't wait. Any, the long and the short of is she is looking good.

My little Mexican Sativa seems to be sick. Main symptom is: the yellowing mainstem. I can't figure out what it could be. All the other plants got the same soil and nutrients. She is a S1 from a feminized mother, so perhaps it is a genetic thing, I don't know. Comments on this would be helpful. Please jump right in.

I have more admiration than expertise.

Thanks. And I for your incredible indoor skills.

As for the Mex-Sat, I looked closer today. I think the yellowing is just plain old dying, senesence, because she is very ripe. Trichs are all solid and grey, amber. I'll give her the chop asap.

So I ask myself why did I think she would go into November? Her mom, my Mex-Sat in 2018, was ready in early November, so I just figured remembered early November, as if readiness timing was a genetic thing of some kind. It isn't. The mom in 2018 was germinated first week of July 2018. The late start pushed back flowering delayed it I guess to early September and she was ready in early November but looked nothing like this years. This year's Mex-Sat was germinated in late April and was already in flower by about August 1. Here we are, about 8.5 weeks later, she's given it her all and the buds are heavy!

Back
Top Bottom