Emeraldo's 2020 West-Facing Balcony Grow

This was a terrific grow, Em’o, very impressive. I’ve checked in here from time to time to see if you’ve had any news for us.
Nice round up on the varieties you have in stock now.
You haven’t written much about music. I imagine that work is slow with the virus rife. I wonder if you have found any any of your chemovars more useful than others musically/professionally?

Thanks Emeraldo for summing up how you found the different strains. Your last grow was spectacular where the rain gutter just measured the low point of the grow, and all carried out amongst some quite challenging weather conditions.
Well done and thanks for the update!
:ganjamon:

Stunger, DD

When the snow here at my winter abode melts, am planning to build a pvc pergola. The little cheap one I assembled from a kit 2 years ago did not survive the last winter, windblown to pieces.

Yes I wanted to let you guys know that Super Lemon Haze is absolutely stunning weed, I now understand why all the hullabaloo about that strain. One thing for sure, growing Super Lemon Haze needs warm sun, even hot, and they say it prefers climates within 40 degrees of the Equator, and mine in CA grew at 38N. You are also located around circa 40S, if my geography is right. So I guess, maybe SLH would be happy to grow where you are.

For listening to music, just about any kind of weed is good. For playing music, I prefer something uplifting and energizing, definitely not sedating. Dream Berry is a good one, and Acapulco Gold. Just my own likes there.

Ah, looking back, the much anticipated NZ Reeferendum failed, but don't you guys have a sense in the post-phase that it did change something in the minds of folks? It made people inform themselves about cannabis, and maybe there will be a less aggressive sorting of the mail?

So this isn't the end, it's a new beginning.

I'll start a new thread in a few months: Emeraldo's 2021 East-Facing Balcony Grow.

I remember you talking about wanting to try SLH way back, previous to your last grow. That's great it's turned out so well, and always good to hear personal recommendations on strains. Some of the Hazes can be late finishers I don't remember your's being especially late, at least not as late as that one on your previous grow (Arjan's Haze #1?).

Re the referendum; I think with Covid and the winners by a fraction being the 'No' supporters, the previous high profile conversation in the media has died away a lot. But I do think that the strong showing of the 'Yes' supporters and those conservations in the media will have changed things for the positive, quite how I don't know, but the capital city of NZ, Wellington, I think had over 60% support. There was even talk since of allowing those majority areas to operate legally, but all just talk and only a little of that at the moment. But as more countries and states around the world begin to legalise and rebalance their views of cannabis then it must help change to come, I hope so, the thought as I age, to realise that in my whole life, what I am doing is seen as being illegal and to do so I am burdened to feel like a criminal, that seems so frigging sad and petty, so yes a legal law change in my lifetime would be really quite lovely.

I'd like to hear any more detail of what you found to be SLH's great qualities. I have never had a 'lemon' strain before but it sounds amazing if it's really detectable citrus like. It seems that SLH is more likely around 20% than say 30%, but yet it is often described as potent. Most strains described as potent often have a THC% that on it's own seems well below some of the high THC%'s being claimed these days. I am currently growing a Godfather OG for which 30% is the claimed THC level, on it's own on that basis it should be incredible, but of course it isn't like that, but it will be interesting nonetheless to see what it's effect is. I see there is some thought that the Silver Haze lineage could have been instead thru one of Neville's strains. I think I was put off this a long while ago when after reading a lot of praise for SLH that then someone dissed it and made it sound like all the positive smoke reports were just bullshit. I think that left an unfortunate bias against SLH for me, now it sounds great and one that I'll definitely take a good look at. And the G13 Haze sounds like it's a winner too, how does that compare?

Look forward to your next grow! :hookah:

I'd like to hear any more detail of what you found to be SLH's great qualities. I have never had a 'lemon' strain before but it sounds amazing if it's really detectable citrus like. It seems that SLH is more likely around 20% than say 30%, but yet it is often described as potent. Most strains described as potent often have a THC% that on it's own seems well below some of the high THC%'s being claimed these days. I am currently growing a Godfather OG for which 30% is the claimed THC level, on it's own on that basis it should be incredible, but of course it isn't like that, but it will be interesting nonetheless to see what it's effect is. I see there is some thought that the Silver Haze lineage could have been instead thru one of Neville's strains. I think I was put off this a long while ago when after reading a lot of praise for SLH that then someone dissed it and made it sound like all the positive smoke reports were just bullshit. I think that left an unfortunate bias against SLH for me, now it sounds great and one that I'll definitely take a good look at. And the G13 Haze sounds like it's a winner too, how does that compare?

Look forward to your next grow! :hookah:

When you finally get around to your 420-Roberto's Gold Leaf, you'll get that nice lemony whiff during flowering, or at the latest during harvest. It was deliciously lemony, and has a turpentiney turpene as well. Hugely relaxing strain. I remember you bought that but didn't grow it yet.

Super Lemon Haze. Funny how these strains from Greenhouse Seeds are really exotic. Huge plants with different-shaped leaves than you'd expect from a seedbank. In 2019 in my West-facing grow I had Strain Hunters' (a trade name of GHS) "White Strawberry Skunk" which name is very strange because there's no skunk in it. When I spoke with GHS they told me it is the indica variant of a Swiss strain known for ages as "Erdbeer", yes, it is strawberry flavored.

In 2019 I grew Arjan's Haze #1 in my East-facing grow. That GHS strain, as you noted, ripened into late November and could've gone into December if I hadn't been leaving on a trip to CA. That plant also had an unusual leaf morphology and was the slowest to flower in the whole grow.

This past year it was Super Lemon Haze. This plant grew like a tree and was the tallest, the leaf was big and robust looking, the bud was hardly recognizable to me as a bud. That is, when it finally seemed to me she was in flower, I knew this was like no other flower I've known. Roundish, coney-like structures. I couldn't imagine where the trichomes would grow, it just wasn't what I've experienced. All branches and leaves in the shade (SLH was on the inside row) died off, leaving a skeleton-like plant on one half and only those leaves and branches in the sun thrived. A lot of good stuff was going on above the raingutter where I couldn't give much attention. Heck, I didn't even sample this one like some of the others, I had very little expectations.

But the big Surprize-of-the-Grow came after harvest. Those funny looking buds may not look like much but hmmm, you really can detect the lemon skunk the Franco crossed with. Probably not a snoopy neighbor strain. The effect is euphoric and strong, and long-lasting but finally goes over into a relaxing mode just in time for bed. Wonderful stuff.

I really am jazzed to try new strains. Haven't made up my mind yet this year. Sensi's Durban and GHS' Afghani#1 are here. I still have some older seeds I need to look through.

Cheers

Emeraldo

:green_heart:

This past year it was Super Lemon Haze. This plant grew like a tree and was the tallest, the leaf was big and robust looking, the bud was hardly recognizable to me as a bud. That is, when it finally seemed to me she was in flower, I knew this was like no other flower I've known. Roundish, coney-like structures. I couldn't imagine where the trichomes would grow, it just wasn't what I've experienced.
That sounds amazing for the unexpected surprise of finding her growing out like that. It reminds me of the alleged qualities of Dr Grinspoon which apparently grows much smaller different bud structures or at least one variant is said to, and similarly the folk who've grown her talk about the excellent punchy high she gives.

Here's that Super Lemon Haze, here' how she looked on Oct 5. I gave her two more weeks and harvested Oct 23:

Looking nice, Em’o. Wow that AG is so much more developed than her step sisters. Your evocative description of her armpits took me back to reading Freak Brothers comics as a teen. I haven’t wanted to try AG this much since then.
Cheers Em’o :cheesygrinsmiley:
It’s never too late to have a happy childhood ;)
Yes, never too late, and I certainly had one this past summer in this journal. ;)

Super Lemon Haze. Here are a few photos of her during those last days before I harvested SLH on October 23. I saw them yesterday after posting about her. Already harvested at that point were Acapulco Gold, Gold Leaf, and Dream Berry. You can still see Blackberry at the railing on the right, and I also left White Widow and G13-Haze to ripen further.

The first photo, taken October 13, shows how SLH really thrived only in direct sunlight, above the raingutter and where the sun could reach her just below the raingutter. Basically all branches and leaves in the shade and not getting any direct light withered, or were struggling, and I pruned them off to redirect her energy to the buds with sun.

Also some shots of SLH bud right before harvest. These were taken October 6, about two weeks before harvest. I gave her as much time as I could; her trichomes seemed to stay clear longer and were taking their time getting cloudy. Now that I've sampled SLH, I know it's one of the best strains I grew in 2020. I recommend her wholeheartedly!

SLH's effect is euphoric, with a strong body buzz, long-lasting. Hard to describe as other than joyful and calming. Ends hours later in a relaxing mood ready for sleep.

SLH's effect is euphoric, with a strong body buzz, long-lasting. Hard to describe as other than joyful and calming. Ends hours later in a relaxing mood ready for sleep.
Sounds like I need to order some of these beans hehehe

Great looking plants, I am jealous, you can grow anything you want outside, summers here in Canada not so good, going to do another outside grow this year with autos, should get 2 full runs through. Thanks great journal.

Hey BudShark, thanks for stopping by. I am sure there are challenges to growing in Canada. What is your lattitude, if I may ask? Autos sound like a good way to go.

Way up north, photoperiod strains could have a struggle, but there are early flowering photos. Female Seeds.nl has bred a bunch of those. Their Purple Maroc comes to mind, which I've grown twice at 47N (not at this grow's location). PM is a photo-period strain with a Jack Herer automatic crossed somewhere in the genetic woodpile, and will be harvestable by late August/early September, and it was bred for northern climes. If I were in Canada, I would research the strains that grow best there outdoors, you'll be surprized what you find. Learn from the Swedes and Alaskans.

Of course the further north you go, the shorter the growing season, timing is critical. I would take up that challenge by starting as early as possible in Spring. In my 47N grow I germinate indoors in mid-April, and take them outside in early May to a sunny spot with at least 5 hours of direct sunlight, the more the better! Indoors during germination, I try to limit the amount of light indoors to the length of the daylight outdoors, not longer (or else the seedlings can think it's time to start flowering when outside they get a shorter light period than inside).

Glad you enjoyed this journal, there was a whole lotta shakin' goin on.

:morenutes:

Hey BudShark, thanks for stopping by. I am sure there are challenges to growing in Canada. What is your lattitude, if I may ask? Autos sound like a good way to go.

Way up north, photoperiod strains could have a struggle, but there are early flowering photos. Female Seeds.nl has bred a bunch of those. Their Purple Maroc comes to mind, which I've grown twice at 47N (not at this grow's location). PM is a photo-period strain with a Jack Herer automatic crossed somewhere in the genetic woodpile, and will be harvestable by late August/early September, and it was bred for northern climes. If I were in Canada, I would research the strains that grow best there outdoors, you'll be surprized what you find. Learn from the Swedes and Alaskans.

Of course the further north you go, the shorter the growing season, timing is critical. I would take up that challenge by starting as early as possible in Spring. In my 47N grow I germinate indoors in mid-April, and take them outside in early May to a sunny spot with at least 5 hours of direct sunlight, the more the better! Indoors during germination, I try to limit the amount of light indoors to the length of the daylight outdoors, not longer (or else the seedlings can think it's time to start flowering when outside they get a shorter light period than inside).

Glad you enjoyed this journal, there was a whole lotta shakin' goin on.

:morenutes:
Good Day, Emeraldo
Yes, enjoyed the Journal, will do one some day. I am presently at 44N, Its not the worst place to grow. Its like you say, I need to do a little research, Alaskans and Swedes would sure have the knowledge on best strains for that climate. The Purple Maroc sounds like a great plant, will look into it, Just a little Herer Auto please. I germinated my first batch of 4 autos a little late last year and got them out in Mid june with still allot of Veg to go. This year they will be in Flower when I put them out Start of June. Harvesting stopped due to cold weather and freezing rain Oct 15 last year, Just got 2 runs. Tried Phoenix seeds auto and Alaskan Purple auto from seedsman, Like the quality and production of plants. Still looking to try a few others so I can find the perfect plant. Will give your fast breeds a look about, could add 1 fast and 3 auto. Cheers

Good Day, Emeraldo
Yes, enjoyed the Journal, will do one some day. I am presently at 44N, Its not the worst place to grow. Its like you say, I need to do a little research, Alaskans and Swedes would sure have the knowledge on best strains for that climate. The Purple Maroc sounds like a great plant, will look into it, Just a little Herer Auto please. I germinated my first batch of 4 autos a little late last year and got them out in Mid june with still allot of Veg to go. This year they will be in Flower when I put them out Start of June. Harvesting stopped due to cold weather and freezing rain Oct 15 last year, Just got 2 runs. Tried Phoenix seeds auto and Alaskan Purple auto from seedsman, Like the quality and production of plants. Still looking to try a few others so I can find the perfect plant. Will give your fast breeds a look about, could add 1 fast and 3 auto. Cheers
I will try your method of keeping your Veg hours in your tent in sink with the Daylight hours outside to avoid any confusion as to what the hell is going on. Lol

A footnote on my Barneys Farm G13-Haze, which I grew two years in a row. As noted in about June 2020 or so, my second G13-Haze plant (from the same pack of seeds as the 2019 plant) looked like a different phenotype. Her leaves were wider, giving her a more indica-look. In retrospect, this turned out to be true in other ways as well.

I was just writing up my grow report on seedfinder and realized that my plant this past year was a pheno that hadn't been reported before. The G13-Haze from 2020 is a bit stronger on the indica side of things, more sedative, and lacks the intense psychodelic cerebral brain-bash that the 2019 plant had. It might be that my 2020 plant truly is more of an indica, which she was telling me early on with those wide leaves. The weed from 2020 also does not have the orange-peel and pineapple tones that added some zing to the 2019, and will be what I will look for next time.

You'll see both outdoor grow reports under my name here:

Back
Top Bottom