Emmie's Organic Strawberry Cough: August 2020

Oh no, I must have missed something about temp issues, I’m glad to hear you have it sorted now though!
Sorry about that, but with all these multiple journals going on at the same time I sometimes mention a particular aspect of the grow in one thread but not in the others. So yes, as winter set in here in Missouri I was not prepared for how cold my grow rooms can get up there in that attic space right next to the metal roof of the house, and with no insulation between the outside and the ceiling of my grow rooms. I was also not monitoring it as well as I should have and despite the small space heater I had going in there, it got down in the 40's several nights during this run. I have it better regulated now, but I was not prepared for how many watts it took to heat that room, and the upstairs circuit starting hitting its maximum...

So some juggling had to happen. I am now redirecting some of the power needs for the grow rooms from another circuit in the house, but soon I have a 420 friendly electrician coming up to run a 220 line up there and all will be right. During this learning process however several of the plants were affected. NYC Diesel finished out early after turning dramatic fall colors (check out the thread)... Strawberry stunted... one of my Durbans stunted and stayed small... Gummy bear took an extra 3 weeks to finish out.

Lesson learned... we are trying very hard to maintain temps in at least the 70's for now.. eventually we will lock it down on 79.

Harvest!, Day 82

Strawberry wanted to get in on the action today and we decided that today was indeed her day. We now see amber at the top and I am glad to get this one done and out of the bloom room. This will leave only 3 plants in the bloom room nearing completion, and we should have room under the NextLight MEGA to move everyone in for round 2 as soon as we get things cleaned up from this first round.

In keeping with the season, we wanted to celebrate Strawberry's perfect Christmas Tree shape and say Merry Christmas to everyone watching this thread!

DSCF8883.JPG

A couple more bud shots and then I am going to let my accomplices harvest this girl and report back to me what the numbers look like. I suspect I will like the numbers as she looks to be some good heavy dank bud. I will have totals for you by the end of the evening!

DSCF8887.JPG
DSCF8886.JPG
DSCF8885.JPG
DSCF8884.JPG

This one is really a pain to clean and get trimmed up. We can grow this better the next time. I still don't have the numbers, but the count is slowly climbing as we head into the night. Barring an unexpected rise in the numbers due to absentee buds being found as we sleep, it is looking like we will be close to 4 or 5 oz dry... More as the final tally comes in.

For now, the trimming crew is hard at work, allowing me to catch up on some journals and bookkeeping work.

DSCF8891.JPG
DSCF8890.JPG
DSCF8889.JPG

Since there are multiple harvests going on at the moment, the Strawberry Coughs have been labeled at the end of each branch set with a red marker.

DSCF8892.JPG

There was a lot of larf... but some good sticky and dank buds too. We got the equivalent of about 3.5 zips dry out of this one, and it is all hanging to dry now. There are 3 more coughs about ready to enter the bloom room, and we are going to do a lot better with that batch as far as keeping the temps where they should be, dealing with bugs and managing the lights. I have explained to my crew that this is why we have a mother plant... so we can revisit this one over and over again once we learn how to grow her correctly.

This one is really a pain to clean and get trimmed up. We can grow this better the next time. I still don't have the numbers, but the count is slowly climbing as we head into the night. Barring an unexpected rise in the numbers due to absentee buds being found as we sleep, it is looking like we will be close to 4 or 5 oz dry... More as the final tally comes in.

For now, the trimming crew is hard at work, allowing me to catch up on some journals and bookkeeping work.

DSCF8891.JPG
DSCF8890.JPG
DSCF8889.JPG

Since there are multiple harvests going on at the moment, the Strawberry Coughs have been labeled at the end of each branch set with a red marker.

DSCF8892.JPG
Omg ..what a great idea ! Red marker thing ...can’t stop learning around here !,’:hippy::thanks:

The cough just harvested is approaching the curing zone slowly, so it will be a bit before we can get you a proper smoke report, but in the meantime, please meet our 3 new contestants, the 3 Strawberry Cough clones from Veg Room #1, who are now 3 days into transition, sitting under the Nextlight MEGA. These 3 new girls are in the front row, showing you just how unruly they can be.

20201217_074309.jpg

Bloom, Day 59
Well, sorry about the lack of updates on this one. Too many things started happening at once after the elections were over, and work took most of my time away from me that I normally would be spending working on updates. No excuses, but every journal can't be as detailed as I would like.

That being said, let me contrast this grow with the last. This grow is in 3 gallon containers, hoping that with 3 plants in bloom I could do better than the one 5 gallon last time. I think we will beat that mark, but just barely, and I am severely disappointed in the output from these 3 gallon containers and I seriously doubt that I ever bloom again in this size.

There was a big advantage this time though... the grow stayed at the correct temperature. Not having even one 45° night has made a huge difference in the quality of the plants here at the end. Except for the fungus gnat problem that followed this grow into the bloom room, everything worked much better. The dynomyco plant does look bigger and healthier than the others. The Geoflora Bloom is easily keeping up with the nutritional needs and these three plants are much more fragrant and much more sticky than the first round was. I expect at the end of this that there is a night and day difference between the two runs.

This grow has also taught me something about my Nextlight MEGA sitting in this long 6x12 bloom room. Interestingly enough, I am not able to see a difference between the plants sitting in the back of the room by the intake fan and the window, and those on the center of the room edge of the light. Because of the reflective Mylar in that back corner of the room, there is more reflected light back there than in the center of the room. Hmmm. I am going to construct a little 4' panel divider covered with mylar on both sides, that I can slide into place before leaving the room that can act as a reflective wall for the light in the center of the room at the back edge of the mega light and I should probably do something similar with the Mars SP-3000 sitting in the front of the room, in the left corner. This should even out the light under both lights.

Live and learn... and each grow should get a little bit better. So we are nearing the end... I still don't see amber at the top, but it is coming any day. I expect harvest to be sometime during this next week. Here are some juicy pictures!

DSCF9051.JPG
DSCF9050.JPG
DSCF9049.JPG
DSCF9048.JPG
DSCF9047.JPG
DSCF9046.JPG
DSCF9045.JPG

It will just be a couple of days now... harvest definitely by the weekend. Last night's check showed still just 1% or less amber at the top and still a few crinkled but white pistils at the top. I am starting all the normal end of run tricks to get them to finish out. Yesterday I moved the NextLight MEGA up another foot or so, to somewhat dim the light at the canopy. Tomorrow I will raise it a bit more. We are having a heat wave now in Missouri and instead of -35° wind chill overnight, we hit 70° yesterday as a high and will again on Saturday so dropping the temp in the grow room to simulate fall temps is not an option at this time. When I finally see 2-5% amber in the top buds, I will put these plants into the mostly darkened outer office of my grow rooms for 36 hours, and then we chop.

Harvest!, Day 65

This will be a double post, both on this thread and on the NY City Diesel journal too.

All of the tricks to accelerate the end have worked and the plants are all showing that they are done. We have 10% amber at the top all of a sudden! There was maybe 2% yesterday on the SC and overnight that exploded. NYCD is also now showing a significant amount of amber that wasn't there a day ago. Raising the NextLight MEGA 1 foot made a huge difference and moving it up again 2 days later made an even bigger impact. These plants all got the message and finished out together! I find this significant, as they had slightly different finishing dates, but found enough incentive to finish out simultaneously. hmmm.

So both sets of 3 plants each have been put in the dark about an hour early tonight and they will stay there for 36 hours. Tonight I give you some shots in the green light that the grow rooms are equipped with for after hours work, with whatever color balance my camera is capable of giving. The tall upright ones are the NYCDs and the more sprawling ones are the SCs.

DSCF9060.JPG

The brief pause of activity under the NextLight has allowed me to make a couple of changes so as to accommodate the new 10g containers about to move in. I wasn't quite sure how much of the total room floor space was in the 5'x5' footprint. We lowered the light all the way down to the floor and taped around it. The outlined box is 3'x3'. Out to each edge to the left, right and back is just short of 5'. The entire back of the room, IS my footprint. I didn't realize I had this much room to work with until actually seeing it.

DSCF9061.JPG

To add reflectivity in the front of the room, we are building a folding room divider that we will cover with mylar on both sides, and we will place it at the edge of the 5x5 footprint, dividing the room in half and also providing more reflectivity for the 2x5 Mars footprint behind and to the left of the camera. We are learning the room and the equipment still, and the next grow should go even better than these first two.

Bloom, Day 39

Strawberry is also showing a small problem and we have lost about 3 leaves, but it seems to be a very minor crisis and one that is not going to affect her finishing out. The buds are looking about as you would expect for 5 week buds and other than these few yellowing leaves, no other deficiencies or problems of any kind have been seen. SC tends to be a very bushy plant, and as I grow out her clones in the next round, I am going to take a lot more care thinning her out before we get to bloom.

DSCF8695sc.jpg

Hi, Emilya

Hope your garden is going well :, I just had a question, a couple of days ago, I check the ppm for my run off water and for some of my plants it was 2000 for some others I was around 800. What could be a good reading to start pumping nutes again?

Hi, Emilya

Hope your garden is going well :, I just had a question, a couple of days ago, I check the ppm for my run off water and for some of my plants it was 2000 for some others I was around 800. What could be a good reading to start pumping nutes again?
Hi @COLATL and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Checking runoff ppm in soil can be very problematic. It depends quite a bit as to whether you used 2% runoff, 10% or 20% as to what the reading might be. Are you sure you used the same exact amount of runoff percentage in each of your plants? You have seen how far off your readings can be from plant to plant.

The next question however is more serious. At what point does the amount of runoff that you allow to come out, the correct percentage that relates to anything at all useful in relation to the soil above? The answer is never. Measuring the pH or the PPM of runoff in soil is completely arbitrary and meaningless.

In soil, we use nutrients typically every other time, running water/feed/water/feed over and over again all during the grow. We do not use ppm of runoff to tell us when to use nutes in soil, we use nutes every other time like clockwork. Soil is a buffer that can hold nutrients in suspension so that a water only pass actually reactivates the nutes leftover in the soil and makes them available to the plants. By giving water every other time you effectively keep the soil clean. There is no need to worry about ppm if you are following the tablespoons per gallon recommendations given for your soil based nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom