Fanleaf's Huge 42 COB Array Build Plus Other Builds

Hey fanman, I have a question, something I have wondered. With your setups being around 1 COB per square foot, what kind of temperature increase over ambient are you seeing when you run them? I understand the various dimness settings come into play, but this isn't a scientific question, more of a personal curiosity.

That is feckin cool. I dunno why but my city boy arse thinks that is so sweet.

Keltic, I suspect you've been in Dark Space recently. Seen any Sythians or Gors?

Dark Space, by Jasper T. Scott

[h=1][/h]

Hey fanman, I have a question, something I have wondered. With your setups being around 1 COB per square foot, what kind of temperature increase over ambient are you seeing when you run them? I understand the various dimness settings come into play, but this isn't a scientific question, more of a personal curiosity.

Well to be honest I don't know because I always adjust the exhaust blower to let the temp come up to where I need it in the room. For instance in my smaller grow room I framed and built last year I used to run about 1500 true watts of blurple LED's. It was quite a few panels. I always had to run my blower at full capacity to keep temps acceptable. As a matter of fact I upgraded the blower from a 4 inch to an 8 inch to help. Then I added a 10,000 btu ac unit to make it easy. It worked very very well that way.

Heres the room.

0611161736.jpg
0611161810.jpg
0611161810b.jpg
0611161811.jpg
0612161758.jpg
0612161759.jpg
0612162058.jpg
0612162058a.jpg
0629162302.jpg
0629161924a.jpg
0629162302b.jpg
0701161947.jpg
0701161948.jpg
0701161952.jpg
0701161956.jpg
0701162333.jpg
0701162029.jpg
0701162333a.jpg
0701162334.jpg

Then after running that way a while I built my 25 Cree array.
It was an instant change in the room. I took the air conditioner out and adjusted my 8 inch blower down to about 1/3rd capacity.. And that was even with all of the drivers mounted in the room. It would run cooler with them relocated out of the room but I didn't need to.

0923162254.jpg
0923162255.jpg
0923162255a.jpg

420-magazine-mobile719778018.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1703875058.jpg
420-magazine-mobile255073990.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1543243460.jpg

I can tell you this for sure. The Cree's are a much more efficient light as far as turning more of the power to light vs heat even with the drivers in the room.

Not that worrying about excessive heat isnt a thing of the past but it's far easier to manage for sure.

Awesome man, I really appreciate you throwing out your input on that. I was just thinking that although the COBs may have that increased cost upfront, it could potentially be offset by savings on cooling. It seems like you are definitely experiencing this, great to know!

I remember back when you built that room. It's a neat little setup.

Awesome man, I really appreciate you throwing out your input on that. I was just thinking that although the COBs may have that increased cost upfront, it could potentially be offset by savings on cooling. It seems like you are definitely experiencing this, great to know!

Yes, easier to cool is only part of it. I went from 1500-1700 true watts to running anywhere between 700 and 1100 watts and have MUCH better par especially around the edges but much more even everywhere.

So it's definitely a long term investment with a return on your investment then. I didn't even think that far into the actual PAR/watt used. That's why we pay you the big bucks! Oh wait.....

So it's definitely a long term investment with a return on your investment then. I didn't even think that far into the actual PAR/watt used. That's why we pay you the big bucks! Oh wait.....

Yep. Again though, to be able to run them really soft and close to the plants is where you save the real power. To do that you have to be at 1 per square foot or so. Otherwise you have to raise the lights up higher to get even coverage and when you have to raise them then you have to run them a bit harder.
It's absolutely a long term deal to go the route I do.
There is the other option as well. Run fewer cobs at higher power....you still will usually be able to use less power and be easier to control heat but just not to the same extent.

I've seen the aftermath of a big capacitor discharging through an elbow. Not pretty.

Back in 08. I worked for a garage door company. Went to a job to go service a electric door motor. That was being fed by a 3 phase 460 line. It had a lot of Juice. I wanna say like 200 amps or better. I stuck my hand in the control box without checking. And couldn't break loose. Yeah.... almost lost my right hand for that stupid mistake. Have a ton of nerve damage around the base of my thumb. I literally melted the skin off. You could see bones ligaments and muscle. It was horrific.
About 8 months of physical therapy and I could use my hand again. But it will never be the same.

Dirt Man Dan

Back in 08. I worked for a garage door company. Went to a job to go service a electric door motor. That was being fed by a 3 phase 460 line. It had a lot of Juice. I wanna say like 200 amps or better. I stuck my hand in the control box without checking. And couldn't break loose. Yeah.... almost lost my right hand for that stupid mistake. Have a ton of nerve damage around the base of my thumb. I literally melted the skin off. You could see bones ligaments and muscle. It was horrific.
About 8 months of physical therapy and I could use my hand again. But it will never be the same.

Dirt Man Dan

Oh man, that's bad chit there. Your hand acting like a shunt basically. OUCHHHH!

Yeah went in the index finger. And came out the base of the thumb in the meaty part. Somehow it all grew back with no surgeries.

Dirt Man Dan

@fanleaf- thanks for the invite brother. I'd be honored to follow along.

@DirtManDan- Helava thing with your hand. Must of hurt like a sumbiatch. Burns are some of the worst kind of pain. My wife was attacked by pit-bulls when she was a teenager... long story short....two of them fought over her legs like a chew toy...lucky to be alive...many many months of physical therapy with the burn patience that had to soak in huge tubs of water until the scabbs would soften and the nurses could scrub them with nylon bristled brushes....very painful...lots of crying. Totally get where you were coming from.
On a brighter note...she's all good and has been puttin up with my grouchy-ass for the last 27 years now! And she enjoys my grows too!
Much respect to you all, I'm out,
Sparks

just stumbled upon this. Nice setup man looks awesome and I'm digging that controller! I am building my third cob light now for my flower room and Ill have (30) cxb 3590 in total but they are all 3500k. Should have the third light done tomorrow. Your setup is great though ill def stick around to see a grow in there.

Did you notice a significant difference running those UV bulbs? I have heard good things about those. Also, and forgive me if you mentioned this already, but what medium/setup are you going to be growing with?

:goodjob:

@Fanleaf- thanks for the invite brother. I'd be honored to follow along.

Welcome! Thanks man. Wont be too long now and will start a grow in there. I'm just waiting for a slight weather change so it'll make it easier to control the environment.

Sent from my VS980 4G using 420 Magazine Mobile App

just stumbled upon this. Nice setup man looks awesome and I'm digging that controller! I am building my third cob light now for my flower room and Ill have (30) cxb 3590 in total but they are all 3500k. Should have the third light done tomorrow. Your setup is great though ill def stick around to see a grow in there.

Did you notice a significant difference running those UV bulbs? I have heard good things about those. Also, and forgive me if you mentioned this already, but what medium/setup are you going to be growing with?

Thanks very much for stopping in. Is there a place where we can see the light you have going on as well? I would love to see it. And yes , I absolutely love using the UV. I tried some of the other bulbs that I seen and wasn't very impressed to be honest but those particular bulbs I showed the picture of are incredibly powerful. And yes the difference is very obvious. Especially if you do what I did and doubt their power and leave them on the plans a little too long. It started stressing my plants in just a few days which is what you want but not too much. I am definitely sold on the use of UV.

Oh yeah and I forgot to answer part of your question. I grow in promix HP along with the whole entire line of advanced nutrients pH perfect all the way through their grand master level.

Fanleaf

Where did you find the watt meters you used in your control panel. I loved seeing a DIY light with that sort of precision control. Are these fairly easy for anyone to purchase in small quantities without a large price hit?

Back
Top Bottom