First Grow - CFL - Bag Seed - Hempy Coco

Electricthom

Hello all, been lurking in the shadows reading your journals for a couple months and I think I'm ready to set out on the journey myself. I have been in chronic pain for 10 yrs now and MMJ has helped enough for me to get rid of those nasty Opiates. Wish I applied for my lic. sooner but was concerned or should I say paranoid about it being so new to my state. Enough of that on to the info:

Is it Indica, Sativa or Hybrid? What percentages? Unknown bag seed 4yrs old but from good smoke
Is it in Veg or Flower stage? seedling/Veg
If in Veg... For how long? 5 at 1.5 weeks from popping, one less than a week
If in Flower stage... For how long? N/A
Indoor or outdoor? Indoor
Soil or Hydro? Hydro Hempy
If soil... what is in your mix? Cocogro brand from local hydro store it has no added nutes
If soil... What size pot? Lg D&D Ice coffee cups as of last night, then to 2,3 or 5 gal buckets.
Size of light? 100w equiv 6500K cfl
Is it aircooled? not yet
Temp of Room/cab? 60 low 68 hi (still cold here & not much $$ for heat)
RH of Room/cab? unkown
PH of media or res? unknown
Any Pests ? none
How often are you watering? when cup is light and/or dry
Type and strength of ferts used? Filtered water and a few drops per/gal super thrive. soon to order BPN for after they are established more.

As you can tell this is a low budget grow, I will be adding lights and equipment as I go hoping to have "real" lighting by third or fourth time but for now CFL all the way through. See some of the amazing ladys' members have grown with CFL's put my mind at ease about the cheapo lighting for now.

Started seeds in paper towel and moved all six to starter pucks once 4 had tap roots one was over a inch. All six broke above the surface within 2 days of each other and we were off.

day 2 notced that one was confussed which way was up and the root was sticking straight up in the air. tryied to flip but she was DOA, replaced with a junk seed that feel into bottom of germ tub and sprouted. Figured if it wanted to grow that bad who am I to stop it.

We are now at two weeks since first sprout and 1 for the eager bean. I am worried that I added the Superthrive to soon or to much to the 5 originals as the junk has surpassed the good seeds. It has the start of saw tooth leafs starting and the 5 originals have not shown any as of yet. They have started to yellow and have seen no noticeable growth for the past week (originals). I flushed with straight water and have put them into hempy cups filled with coco, watered with correct (1/4 strength or less) Superthirve. I think they are greening up again (only been two days)we'll see.
(pics to follow ASAP as soon as I figure out how)

That's what I have got so far. Does anyone know off hand if BPN still offers nutes for shipping and a Journal? Emailed but no responce yet. (only been 5 or 6 days so not worried, if promotion is over oh well got to have them anyway:thumb:

Day_3_002.JPG

into_hempys_011.JPG

The worst shape one
into_hempys_012.JPG

into_hempys_013.JPG

into_hempys_015.JPG

And the low grade speed grower
into_hempys_017.JPG

Now the Questions start:
Are the original five doomed for sure? Is there another possible cause for the yellowing and slow growth with lack of saw tooth shape leafs?

I am thinking to let them go for another two weeks before starting nutes. Is that too soon or not soon enough? I know the coco has nothing in it how much will that play a factor in how soon they need me to feed them. Planning to use a feed, skip, feed, skip, water schedule when they are drinking enough and depending on dryness.

I am open to any and all suggestions and welcome them with open arms. I'm hopeful that with the advise of the supreme masters here to take care of my med needs and become as good as you all that amaze me daily with your pics and journals. Thanks in advance. will update with info and photos as noticeable changes happen. :peace:

Re: First grow, CFL/Bag seed, Hempy coco

Thank you for taking the time to post in Dadums much appreciated. :thanks:

In fact I have read journals from both these fine members as well as their coments in it seems like almost every thread I see that interests me now since I've narrowed down what methods I am going to start out with. 12twelve, 420fied and a few others names that I see quite often are the reason for most of my decisions to date such as hempy and BPN and coco and I strive to be half the person they are as far as growing great plants. Was thinking 70/30 perlite and vermiculite too but the coco was a such good price at my local store that day and they speak so highly of it I went with that. I started reading journals here in Dec and have been on this site every day since in fact its my home page so it will be the first thing I see in the morning. I can finally go straight to "last page" on many journals of current grows for just the latest updates. I have learned so much already, there was so much I did not know even after smoking for the past 30+ years (yup I'm Old). Other than light cycles I was stunned at my lack of "true" Knowledge about the plant and its needs.:peace:

Looked in on the family today, I think the straight water flush helped a couple of the kids they seem to be greening up, but one or two may just be to far gone.:rip: One looks to have the beginning of real leafs starting to emerge. I learned not to try to add anything to the water after medicating, what a bonehead move. But that is why I decided on the test run before ordering seeds that cost money anyway right? So nothing lost but time, but I gained a bit more knowledge the hard way. Put a few more old seeds I found laying around into germ just in-case these are DOA. Not sure about strain with these either but I would not have put them aside if it wasn't something special. I have only saved these two batches of seed any they were from bags I was surprised to see a seed in at all 12 in first batch and 8 in the second both out of OZ's and both VERY old like me:peace:

Still no growth the worst shape one is a little worse the other 4+1 look exactly like they did a week ago. No new pics too smal to get anything better than the ones above plus no change so I will hold off on taking more for now. I finally got to pick up a PH meter and PH of medium was just over 7 so gave them a little flush with adjusted water of 5.5. I will be wiring up a fixture to gave them more light this weekend I hope. I plan on adding 5 more 26W 6500K CFLs. The temps in the closet may also be a factor mid 60's at best but I'm thinking the additional lights will help bring it up a couple of degrees until the weather turn a tad warmer.

I am hoping that the PH adjustment coupled with more light and warmer temp might bring resurrect them from the brink but I have a few more germinating as a back up and some other mediocre beans to keep experimenting with before investing in quality genetics.

Still no change for better or worse. Added one more light yesterday getting a light reading of about 700 at the surface of the cups. Still damp from flush giving them plenty of time to dry out before next watering. Got a therm in the closet and readings are not as bad as I thought; lights on 72 lights off 69. Going to work on a perm home for them to go in the basement soon procrastinating due to the lack of growth to date. Thinking on this: 36" deep X 48" wide X 60" one each for veg and flower. I have limited height and at 5' I'll have a bit of space above for wiring, through bolts for mounting lighting and 6" ducting. General 2x4 frame walls ceiling and floor to get base up of cement with sheathing outside and in so wall space can be used as light trap where ventilation holes are to be cut. Plus that will give plenty of support for mounting equipment and not worrying about hitting a stud for strength. Found a old floro reflector to make a CFL beast out of mounting 6 to 8 26W and misc hanging CFLs to bring a little side light to the lower plants (if any ever grow for me):peace:

Well idle hands and such... I decided to play mad scientist and pull the bad looking one and replace with a new seedling that popped from nothing to a inch over night. The root ended just under the soil leaving me with the conclusion that I over watered and compacted the coco way to much. I squeezed out the coco and boy was it soaked. It never seemed to dry out in the least. I then as gently as I could replanted each of the cups, ringing out the coco as I went. Two showed root growth and they were in the loosest mixes that the ones that the starter puck broke apart when moving to the cups. With the best roots in loose mix I think I may be on the right track. The commercial bagseed had less root growth but there was some. Moisture meter showed a better range but a little dry from top 3/4 of the way down so I gave them 1/2 cup each of PH 6 water. the mix was still reading PH of 7 give or take so I think that should start to bring it down will adjust as I get daily readings and they can take more water. The looser mix should make it easier for the roots to roam and for the water to drain to the bottom. I am contemplating drilling another hole or two to help with drainage just to be safe. Wally world had one last two pack of GE 26W 6500K half the price of the newer model that has a smaller size. So the light count is now 4 GE Daylight 6500K CFLs' each with a light output of 1600 lumens. I am losing some of that until I get a better reflector over them. :peace:

Lookin like a good start, about the nute thing if u have soil that has nutes in it liek bat guano all that fun stuff i wouldn't give any for at least 3 weeks till they can use it right now they have all they need those 2 1st leafs provide everything for the baby till the 1st true set of fan leafs are out. :) trust me i had to learn the hard way over nuteing is not fun. But goodluck ill be checkin in! ;) and welcome to 420!!

Also, Any thoughts out there on finish plywood with flat white vs. white Melamine for interior walls of a cabinet. Thinking that the Melamine could save the step of painting as well as be easy to wipe down and clean but is it reflective enough to compare to flat white paint?

I would recommend a flat white kitchen or bathroom paint. Easily washable and proven to work. Or as I and others do, install reflectix. It is a mylar covered bubble wrap that come in rolls.

Thanks Smokz and Mr Mud, I will head the Kitchen white paint route, prob cost less anyway. I payed so much attention to the veg and flower stages info I read next to nothing about seedlings from first crack to veg. Hopefully no more abused babies. And if they can hear me up there, I am truly sorry for what I've done.

As far as the nutes in my Mix: The girl at the hydro store said the coco I bought has nothing added to it. I just added a few drops of the SuperThrive to the water. I just sent water off for complete testing but will switch to RO water from a road side stand in the area. It used to be a quarter a gal but have not been there in a few years.

the newly added lights brought the temps up mid to high 70's Mix PH still hanging onto the 7 mark will make next water a PH of 5-5.5 and see how that treats the mix.

Pics coming soon, as soon as and change from transplant show.:peace:

Upper coco is moist but not soaked and the bottom near the hempy drain hole is higher moisture reading telling me it is draining more like it should. Fingers are crossed we'll see how they re-act to today's adventure.

Thanks Smokz, Seen the chart somewhere before but its good to have it in my journal where I can find it easy for future reference. :reading420magazine: I've been reading along on the KISS my coco OC+ but school has kept me away for a few days Mid term time plus I got to compete with the 20 year old kids(not one is even half my age). Got to try that OC+ for the ease of water and go all the way to first week or two of flower. I knew my coco 's PH was high for what I want to do. Was shooting for 6 but only had distilled vinegar to treat the water with and hear its ok but not great so was afraid to use to much. I will go see what the hydro store has for PH down. Also the disability check aint to great so had to go with a moisture/light/PH in-one meter from the big box store. Analog (dial) not digital so accuracy is a bit of a question but should give me a baseline.
Now if the coco is reading 7 how low should I PH the water to drop it? I'm thinking 5 and see where it brings the mix or lower since there is more soil than water. Dont want to yoyo it below target and have to bring back up.:peace:

If i'm having fun even in failure, just think how great success will be!:wood:

Glad you find it helpful.
Running with the pups is a task I know. Living on disability here as well, I can relate.

As for the PH?
I pay no attention to the ph of my coco, only what I put in it. The meters are well worth the investment. Cheaper than buying your meds. The analog you speak of is of no use for testing the ph of your water and nutes. You would be better served by a pool test kit, which is still ghetto as they say. As stated, 5.8 is my suggested target. Don't worry about keeping it nailed there either. You should be mixing a res of some sort for your plants, even if hand watering.

With a Hempy you only need to water when the res in the bottom needs it, once the roots reach it that is. Coco is not soil, regard it as hydro.

They seem to be hanging on maybe a little greener but no growth as yet. There doesn't seem to be and shock effect from the transplant. Mix is starting to dry a little but not enough to water yet. Night time temps are dropping to 70-72 and day time high of 78. Ph is still high waiting for next time they need water to try and drop it. Will go buy water today and use that with a touch of cal/mag until the results comeback from testing on my tap which is town supplied well water.
:peace:

Thanks Smokz. I will get something better for Ph ASAP There has to be something digital and more accurate on amazon or eBay made for water that I can afford, it is more an investment that expenditure and that how I will explain it to my wife tonight. LOL. I was guessing that the Ph of the coco was directly related to the water I added. A envelope for a free water test kit came last week just as I started thinking about what's in my tap water, good timing. As for the piece of crap for cheapo depot I can gauge my moisture and light penetration I guess or better yet give it to my 4 yr old for her new flower garden.
I have been filtering my waster and keeping a gal at a time on hand in reserve. The is no chlorine smell or fluoride added but other than that ????? Time to go see how they feel tonight.:peace:

Well I added some plain water Last Night before lights out coco seemed like it was a bit damp but the res in bottom of cups had no water so added a little to each cup. There seems to be a little growth(fingers crossed). Mostly on the seed from bottom of the tray but there looks to be some leafs starting to appear on two of the original sprouts. will get a liquid Ph test today for now until I can order a digital. temps keeping between 72 in the dark to 80 lights on. Going to add a small 100cm 120vac cabinet fan next trip up to my moms where I have my old electrical stash of cooling fans and misc parts.
first the dropped seed
IMAG007714.jpg

Now the older ones hoping I see new growth starting
IMAG008411.jpg

IMAG007914.jpg

And the last no change in coma on life support
IMAG008014.jpg

NO change w/poor color, Next to pass to the great beyond?
IMAG008315.jpg

Hoping against hope that the dropped and two of the original seedlings are starting to turn around. Going to germ more bag seed as soon as I have some way to test the Ph of the water Possibly tonight.:peace:

Back
Top Bottom