First Grow Ever - Hempy Style

Re: First Grow Ever...Hempy Style

I have no clue what a hempy style grow is. I think that it growing in perlite is.. weird and amazing both at the same time. I want to do a thing like how bamboo grows with pebbles, see how the roots turn out. Nonetheless it looked earlier like someone wasn't watering them properly. You can tell by the leaf sag, red/purple stems. I see your newly stems are very green and strong. You brought flower #4 up very well from what it was. What was the problem? Was it because of watering issues as it seemed?

I like your journal very different. Don't like that you have to add all these nutrients, but you have to since their not getting anything from perlite. I understand that. Just wouldn't be my choice, but its a very interesting and amazing grow. Will be looking froward to the turn out ;) Hello From HazelTucky MI!

I have no clue what a hempy style grow is. I think that it growing in perlite is.. weird and amazing both at the same time. I want to do a thing like how bamboo grows with pebbles, see how the roots turn out. Nonetheless it looked earlier like someone wasn't watering them properly. You can tell by the leaf sag, red/purple stems. I see your newly stems are very green and strong. You brought flower #4 up very well from what it was. What was the problem? Was it because of watering issues as it seemed?

I like your journal very different. Don't like that you have to add all these nutrients, but you have to since their not getting anything from perlite. I understand that. Just wouldn't be my choice, but its a very interesting and amazing grow. Will be looking froward to the turn out ;) Hello From HazelTucky MI!

Thanks for stopping by, the Hempy buckets are simple and easy as pie for new growers or for people who don't have the money to buy expensive nutes. All I do everyday is give the girls PH'ed water and they grow....It doesnt get any easier :)

When I purchased the clones a few of them had def's from the get go as well as a prior spider mite infestation. On top of that I was giving them water with a high PH but once I fixed the ph and added the cal mag they started to look better and grow faster.

I switched them over to 12/12 and they are growing everyday like crazy. I should have some pics in the next few days. I took 2 clones from my biggest lemon haze and the afgoo and the 2 afgoo cuts are standing up beautifully but the lemon haze cuts aren't looking to well... Will have pics of those too.

A lot of hempy grows start hard because they are a bit dry till they get to the bottom of the pot with their roots. I often roll up a couple of blue paper shop towels and use them as sort of a wick from the bottom up, works pretty well. I also add 1 tablespoon of the Ironite 1-0-1 mineral mix per gallon of perlite, this has everything except magnesium which I add as 1/2 tablespoon of epsom salts per gallon. I mix this all up together in heavy duty trash bags along with two tablespoons of OCplus per gallon of perlite. If the water is of a high PH I will add Peat moss at a 1 to 5 ratio to the perlite. This makes it just a bit wetter but causes no problems. And lately, I have been using the oilsorb you get at auto supply stores in the bottom of the pot up to the hole to hold moisture longer and add silicon. Make sure and read the bag and see if it contains silicon. I have used Fullers earth, the calcined clay and Diatomaceaus earth with equally good results. My present experiment is using 3 parts perlite, 1 part diatomaceaus earth and 1 part peat moss as a base mix. This heavier mix has no problems holding your plants up and seems to be working perfectly one month in. This all said perlite done right works very well.

Hey guys yesterday was the completetion of the first week of flowering. I left them under the MH, but once the lights came on for today I switched to the HPS. Here are some pics of them:

Lemon Haze 6
lh6.jpg

Lemon Haze 4
lh4.jpg

Lemon Haze 3
lh3.jpg

Lemon Haze 2
lh21.jpg

Lemon Haze 5
IMAG02437.jpg

Afgoo 1
Afgoo11.jpg

I have some green stuff on the perlite, I assume is algae? Will this hurt my plants? Also the clones I took from LH6 and the Afgoo have rooted. Will take pics of those later.
:)

Things look like they are progressing nicely...Glad to see you got your water issues under control.

tboss, I'm on my first grow and using OC+ but with Promix instead of Hempys. Couple of things: a) Yes, that's probably algae. I had algae too at one point in my grow and just removed it and it was okay. Mine was due to overwatering which is a common rookie mistake. I haven't done hempy, so probably you need to water as much as you..maybe ask Docbud for his take on the OC+ thread b) Temps: You need to get those under control, high 80s is no good. My temps were very high too and my plants suffered big time. I got an a/c unit in there and things improved quickly (i STILL battle temp issues because I can't have my a/c and lights on the same time or circuits blow). Co2 will help a bit if you cant get those temps down. Also, TRFs are not good for high-temps as they release too quickly.
Good luck, you could check out my journal if you'd like, Day 31 of flowering and OC+ has kicked ass for me.

tboss, I'm on my first grow and using OC+ but with Promix instead of Hempys. Couple of things: a) Yes, that's probably algae. I had algae too at one point in my grow and just removed it and it was okay. Mine was due to overwatering which is a common rookie mistake. I haven't done hempy, so probably you need to water as much as you..maybe ask Docbud for his take on the OC+ thread b) Temps: You need to get those under control, high 80s is no good. My temps were very high too and my plants suffered big time. I got an a/c unit in there and things improved quickly (i STILL battle temp issues because I can't have my a/c and lights on the same time or circuits blow). Co2 will help a bit if you cant get those temps down. Also, TRFs are not good for high-temps as they release too quickly.
Good luck, you could check out my journal if you'd like, Day 31 of flowering and OC+ has kicked ass for me.

Hey, I never heard issues with growth being stunted with temps in the 80s, esp in the summer but now that they are on 12/12 it doesnt get over 84 and they all seem to be growing just fine everyday. Also, If I dont see any OC+ I just add a small amount more and havent had any problems. To solve your ac/light problem, you might want to take an 25' extension cord and run your lights or ac to another part of the house. Thats what I am doing now so I can use all my fans, ac, and lights with no problems.

Thanks for stopping by, and I will check out your journal soon

Here are my girls after week 2 of flowering: Straight ph'ed water and thats it:

LH 6
lh61.jpg

LH 5
lh5.jpg

LH 4
lh41.jpg

LH 3
lh31.jpg

LH 2
lh22.jpg

Afgoo
Afgoo_1.jpg

Temps have been in the mid to high 70's in my room. Humidity 35-40%. Everything has been smooth sailing pretty much this week. If anyone has any info on how long the flowering period is on the lemon haze please let me know because I can't find the info anywhere online.

try to geta better source of co2 asap, you want those budz as compact as possible! just lookin out. Also + rep for a michigan grower live in lansing myself!!

try to geta better source of co2 asap, you want those budz as compact as possible! just lookin out. Also + rep for a michigan grower live in lansing myself!!

Hey, thanks for stopping in and for the rep. They look alot better in person, I used a crappy cam phone and the pics def. don't do my girls justice lol. You can even see thc crystals on the flowers already but not in the pics. In another week I will have new pics and I will try to borrow my moms nikon to take the new pics

Hey Boss,

Just checkin in, those plants look pretty good. Did I notice some green stuff on LH4 (i think) is that algae? I read somewhere that you should scrape it off the top and replace with new, don't let it grow. I'll have to go back and look I don't remember the type of light/nute etc that you're using, they almost look like they need a boost

About the harvest time...get yourself a handheld microscope, I have a MM200 micromax 60x100 led lighted one that I got from amazon...it's great.

From all I've learned here @ 420mag all strains have a little different cycle when it comes to the perfect meds, watch the tricomes They start out clear and move to cloudy, then to amber. You harvest according to the type of meds you want...the more clear/cloudy the less heavy the high, the more cloudy/amber the more couchlock the high. I prefer not to be stuck on the couch (so to speak) I harvest at about 60/40 cloudy/amber.

Where's the new pics? We love those pics, don't ya know. ::):

Hope this helps :peace:

Hey Boss,

Just checkin in, those plants look pretty good. Did I notice some green stuff on LH4 (i think) is that algae? I read somewhere that you should scrape it off the top and replace with new, don't let it grow. I'll have to go back and look I don't remember the type of light/nute etc that you're using, they almost look like they need a boost

About the harvest time...get yourself a handheld microscope, I have a micromax 60x1MM200 00 led lighted one that I got from amazon...it's great.

From all I've learned here @ 420mag all strains have a little different cycle when it comes to the perfect meds, watch the tricomes They start out clear and move to cloudy, then to amber. You harvest according to the type of meds you want...the more clear/cloudy the less heavy the high, the more cloudy/amber the more couchlock the high. I prefer not to be stuck on the couch (so to speak) I harvest at about 60/40 cloudy/amber.

Where's the new pics? We love those pics, don't ya know. ::):

Hope this helps :peace:

Hey, yes I been reading about the green stuff and some of the growers said its fine in perlite. The plants still seem to be growing fine without scrapping it off. I tried to get what I could out of some but I noticed roots at the top and didnt want to harm the plant. I thought roots grew towards the bottom and I thought it was kind of weird seeing the little white roots at the top, but this is my first grow so I do not know if thats normal or not. I just added a little more perlite over those roots so they arent exposed to the light.

For the clones I took, I just transfered them into 3 gal buckets and I will try to put mylar around the stem to cover the the perlite to prevent this and also do this for all the plants I grow in the future.

As far as the harvest trick, I was familiar with that, thanks though. I was just trying to get a general idea from someone with experience with this particular strain since I couldnt find any data online except for the super lemon haze.

And as far as the pics go, I am trying to upload them once a week. I am few days late but its better late then never lol....Pics coming in the next post

:thanks:

Here are some pics of my clones that I took off 2 plants before I through their moms in flowering (3 Weeks old):

LH 1
lh1.jpg

LH 2
lh24.jpg

Afgoo 1
Afgoo_13.jpg

Afgoo 2
Afgoo2.jpg

And here are a few pics of my girls in flowering. I didnt take pics of each one this time..Got a little lazy but here is something:

LH 3
lh32.jpg

LH 2 top
lh2_top.jpg

LH 2 again
lh23.jpg

Afgoo
Afgoo_12.jpg

You cant tell by these pics but each bud site is frosty!! They are also smelling a bit now but overall I am very happy with the hempy method so far.

Hi T

Those clones look great. Yes, I have, since my last post, heard from other hempy growers that the algae isn't a problem, may even be good for them in small amounts. The roots showing at the top just under the soil was common to both my grows, although I don't know if thats good or bad, I never thought to ask anyone. You re-covered the roots so they should be fine.

I did notice that on the ones in flower that the leaves look light green and the stems look quite purple...seems I read somewhere thats a nute issue, some thing locked out. I'll see if I can find it again. But the buds look great...:thumb:

Hi T

Those clones look great. Yes, I have, since my last post, heard from other hempy growers that the algae isn't a problem, may even be good for them in small amounts. The roots showing at the top just under the soil was common to both my grows, although I don't know if thats good or bad, I never thought to ask anyone. You re-covered the roots so they should be fine.

I did notice that on the ones in flower that the leaves look light green and the stems look quite purple...seems I read somewhere thats a nute issue, some thing locked out. I'll see if I can find it again. But the buds look great...:thumb:

Hey ever since I re-covered the roots it seems like I cant create the flood table anymore....and also I have no idea whats going on with the light green leaves, I looked in the plant issue thread and didnt see any info about that. It all started after I stopped watering them everyday....Docbud said you don't have to water every day but I dont know if that caused the issue at hand.

On another note,Thursday marked the 4th week of vegging and Friday marked the 4th week of flowering so I will be posting some more pics up tonight once the lights come on.

Hey ever since I re-covered the roots it seems like I cant create the flood table anymore....and also I have no idea whats going on with the light green leaves, I looked in the plant issue thread and didnt see any info about that. It all started after I stopped watering them everyday....Docbud said you don't have to water every day but I dont know if that caused the issue at hand.

On another note,Thursday marked the 4th week of vegging and Friday marked the 4th week of flowering so I will be posting some more pics up tonight once the lights come on.

Hey TS

I don't know what you mean by "flood table" I haven't started my hempy yet, please explain. I tried to find something on nute/pH problems with those purple stems but was unable to find the article again, sorry...will keep looking and if I find something I will definately pass it on

Looking forward to those next pics...:thumb:

Hey TS

I don't know what you mean by "flood table" I haven't started my hempy yet, please explain. I tried to find something on nute/pH problems with those purple stems but was unable to find the article again, sorry...will keep looking and if I find something I will definately pass it on

Looking forward to those next pics...:thumb:

Basically water to the point where the level of the perlite rises up..like an ebb an flow system. Its supposed to be benificial to the roots if im not mistaken. Docbud talked about it alot. Also the purple is not a problem, ive read post about it and most growers say it just happens with certain strains.

LH 2 Week 4 of flowering:

lh2_top1.jpg

lh25.jpg

Afgoo Week 4 of flowering:
afgoo3.jpg

Afgoo_top.jpg

Afgoo3.jpg

Group shot of the clones. First 2 are lemon haze, 3rd and 4th are afgoo in the 3 gal buckets. Bubba kush is going in the party cups. Seedlings in the back are bag seeds. It was alot easier then I thought to germinate:thumb:

IMAG02726.jpg

Will have more shots of the others later. Hopefully I can get some more eyes on my journal before its all done lol

Back
Top Bottom