First Grow - CFL - Bag Seed - Hempy Coco

Re: First grow, CFL/Bag seed, Hempy coco

Took mom to drug store and they had 2.5 gal dark gray bucket for a buck a piece so I grabbed 13 of them. 2-3 Gal buckets seem to be hard to find around here and on line they were $5-$8. I may not need them yet but wont find them that cheap again. Got some scavenged parts from ma's basement(my parts stash) so gonna build a three lamp fixture with a chopped up 4' flouro tube shade. week after next hoping to start the grow box/closets in the basement, Thinking 3'D x 8'6"W x 6'H split into two sides.

Cool, Thanks Smokz, knowing that lets me feel good about the sizes I'm thinking. Once I get the space cleared out I may be able to go longer or deeper may just go 4 deep to match size of wall material sheet stock to cut down on cutting. But If I cant get them past seedlings I may not need the bigger space, LOL. Took a quick look see and they seem unchanged. the bad look bad and the ok ones did not get worse. Gonna give them an other day and see what happens. Beth is doing well will update with pics later tonight or tomorrow.

It will get easier as well, as you learn what you want from your effort as well. Get a grown female and take on cloning it. Much different than growing from seed. Can make life easier... When building consider what you may wish to do inside. Measure some flood tables so you know how big to go if that is your goal one day. My size works good but had I built according to appliance sizes I would have more options.

That is the most valuable lesson I learned building my first grow room. (hindsight)

Secondly closer walls with reflective covering makes far better use of light than a distant wall. This means make it big enough but not to big and waste lighting. You then have a smaller space to condition as well.

never forget ventilation

I have come to the conclusion that I heat stressed them. I had to put the thermostat back on the bedroom wall to silence the wife and did not account for the extra heat from the additional bulbs and the unseasonably warm weather on an enclosed space. I now have a dedicated thermometer 75 deg lights on and the closet is vented better with large opening at the top and smaller at the bottom for passive heat discharge. The 5" fan is blowing across the tops of the lamp holders. Four 23W CFL 6500K each now in its own work lamp reflector. Beth seems to have withstood yet another of my stumbles along the path, I think partly due to the fact I positioned the fan to have its leaves move slightly in the breeze. The 2nd set of 5 blades is distinguishable and growing bigger daily. 2-4 of the seedlings look like they may make it, but none of them look any worse today. There is one that is bent over badly and stem is weak at best if not kinked. Will update with pics later on. :peace:

Here we go, going to try just using the url from browser:
Beth first:
imag014410.376947

imag014512.376948

OK that failed. I checked the how to but it is the same as before, but the "direct link" box isn't on the new page to copy and paste from. Anybody got any idea how to post these now.

you need the highest sheen. "flat" is the lowest. look for "glossy" white paint. but melamine will work great and claen easy.

Welcome Weezie. I think I will be using the Wht Mel. It will be nice to cut it and not care about the edge chipping for a change. I had a custom Kitchen shop and had $150 a piece blades just for cutting melamine with out it chipping, used two blades per job and cost me $45 bucks each to sharpen. But here white caulking will hide the edges. Temps are holding at 75 Deg for the high now, it will be 20 to 25 Deg cooler this week than last so I should be good it we move to the cellar by adjusting the exhaust and intake vent sizes. We had 80-85 degree temps herethis week where the norm is 55-60 this time of year. Wal Mart has a Temp/RH digital I am going to pick up tomorrow and a real Ph meter is in the works. I was considering a tent kit or two but wife's car ate up the tax return first. :peace:

I am putting 10 beans in paper towel, the last 6 of the first 6 that bombed i put in yesterday and 4 misc baggers that were the largest in the past few bags I bought started this morning. I'm curious to see if the age of the six increases the time to crack over the fresh 4. In the closet the 8 little ones show no change for better or worse. Shame because they started offf so nice. With the last attempts Days without change seems to indicate that my tending is keeping them greenish but there was no growth, root or leaf. I still holding out hope for 3 or 4 but it is fading daily. Beth is doing well, but yesterday she looked so nice I decided to play mad scientist on her and FIM'd her just after the second set of 5 blades. this morning she looked good the wound seems to be healing nicely and no sign of sagging or dropping. :peace:

Well I went in think of culling the worst of the bunch but it seems that there is new bright green growth emerging from the center of the crispy first leaves. The fan I have in there now is a bit strong. It is not directly on the plants but angled more toward the lights but the temps are low to mid 60's with lights on. I raised the height of the fan a bit for now. Wild outdoor temperature swings this spring are keeping it hard to control. I am not happy with light levels at pot level (500-600) but will keep them the same until I know they turned around and can tolerate the heat associated with moving closer to the lights. I need to get a stable environment in the basement set up but until I can save the coin by supplying my own meds I am limited in what I can afford and do. the great catch 22,... I need equipment to grow well vs I need to grow well to buy equipment. Little by little we'll get there. Buying a digital temp/RH and Ph down today(heard dist. vinegar works but is not good to use). Has anyone used the Milwaukee Ph meter? It's only 18 bucks on Amazon and there are a few even cheaper but I've always gone by "you get what you pay for" at least as far as tools are concerned. Cleaning out the water storage today had a slight clear film forming, Vinegar or SupuerThrive or normal crap I don't know but i did neglect it for two weeks so it was time. Also How do you (anyone listening) take the temp readings? Is probe/thermometer at soil level under direct light or on wall in room away for direct light? Any advice is always taken gratefully. :peace:

To be honest Dadums yesterday I did not totally share your optimistic view but son of a gun if they don't seem to be coming back. I trimmed the dead parts of the leaves last night and today 4 or 5 show new growth and even tiny little < 1/8" three blade leaves. One is a good 1/4 taller this morning. Beth seems fine with being Fim'd and it looks like new growth starting around the cut. I am considering going to a meeting tonight for RIPAC. Was told by a local hydro shop owner/patient that I can make good a contact to receive clones and can avoid some of the worries of seed use. One of the 5 yr old seeds had a 1/4" root today so it went into the tray. nothing from the other 9 as of yet. If they work out I will start a new journal for them. :peace:

Yeah thanks Thawk I figured as much. If you want quality tools they just cost more.
Got a couple pics to add to last update. These are the ones showing a bit of improvement.
IMAG014711.jpg

IMAG01499.jpg

IMAG01509.jpg

Here's Beth still standing:
IMAG015311.jpg

IMAG01547.jpg

The temps are holding stable 68-70 at cup height and 75 ambient in room up high. Passive air exchange pulling cooler air in the bottom at plant level and venting out the top. RH is at 45%. If that's good or bad I'm not sure, will have to look that up, not having a reading to use I didn't think to remember what the Ideal RH would be. :peace:

Back
Top Bottom