24_25-3-16_Day_30_2_.jpg

24_25-3-16_Day_30_1_.jpg

Second Plant ;

22_Day_22_25-3-16_3_.jpg

22_Day_22_25-3-16_2_.jpg

22_Day_22_25-3-16_1_.jpg

- Evil

Your training is working very well bud.

Just a quick word of caution though... When using high stress training methods such as topping or FIM - I would very much advise that once implementing it, give the plant at least 7 days of no more training and perfect conditions to allow them time to recover and continue healthy growth.

Since it's auto's that you are growing you may find that now you have topped the plants it's best to allow them to grow and use some low stress training techniques from now on. Too much stress, especially at the age they are now can be very detrimental to the flowering process and harm the overall yield come harvest time.

Evil, I love the amount of detail you are putting into the documentation of this. A good scientific method is key to learning new things in the garden, and my hat is off to you for this study on training methods.

The advice above is spot on too... trying to do too many of the most violent attacks on our plants can greatly confuse them. When you top a plant, major changes need to be made and the plant stalls for a number of days to sort all of this out. When she decides to grow again, she will do it with a vengeance, trying to make up for lost time with accelerated vertical growth. As mentioned, FIMs can also freak out the plant, and I have seen plants go nuts after a FIM, doubling in height while still in veg or herm later in flower.

I try to keep the major techniques to 1 per plant, and I would never FIM the same branch more than once. Also, instead of chopping into the main stalk and damaging the xylem, I like to instead just pinch the top growth tip. This accomplishes the same thing as a chop/topping, but in less time, and I believe with a lot less stress to the plant. Even pinching the apical node of a new plant only stuns the plant for a day or two, and then she is right back with aggressive growing.

When the plant feels it is under attack in this way, it will do everything it can do to achieve the vertical height you are denying it... the plant in veg is trying to adapt. If you allow her to do so, the result of a topping or pinching of the top node will result in an eventual attempt to send the two new dominant shoots up as high as she can get them. To shape a plant for production, you have to stop this by either topping/pinching again, or reverting to low stress methods. Since too much pruning of the apical nodes causes stress, I tend to pinch, LST till I run out of soil surface to work with, and then as I am allowing the tips to go vertical again, I pinch one more time, again, not just to add more buds, but to frustrate her need to add vertical height until I can manage to get multiple bud sites, now from the bottom and middle of the plant, to roughly the same canopy height. A plant wide sharing of dominance seems to greatly calm the need to stretch, even after the flip.

Happy Easter!
Emmie

*Day 31-33 / Day 23-25 Update*

Sorry everyone about missing a few uploads; I've been sick with the flu since Thursday. My Plants are still both doing great; I've noticed changes everyday.

I bought that sunspect light I mentioned a few posts ago -

SunSpect_300W_LED_Grow_Light.jpg

First Plant ; *Day 31*

25_26-3-16_Day_31_3_.jpg

25_26-3-16_Day_31_2_.jpg

25_26-3-16_Day_31_1_.jpg

*Day 32*

26_27-3-16_Day_32_3_.jpg

26_27-3-16_Day_32_2_.jpg

26_27-3-16_Day_32_1_.jpg

*Day 33*

27_28-3-16_Day_33_3_.jpg

27_28-3-16_Day_33_2_.jpg

27_28-3-16_Day_33_1_.jpg

Second Plant ; *Day 23*

23_Day_23_26-3-16_3_.jpg

23_Day_23_26-3-16_2_.jpg

23_Day_23_26-3-16_1_.jpg

*Day 24*

24_Day_24_27-3-16_1_.jpg

24_Day_24_27-3-16_2_.jpg

24_Day_24_27-3-16_3_.jpg

*Day 25*

25_Day_25_28-3-16_1_.jpg

25_Day_25_28-3-16_2_.jpg

25_Day_25_28-3-16_3_.jpg

- Evil

Evil, I love the amount of detail you are putting into the documentation of this. A good scientific method is key to learning new things in the garden, and my hat is off to you for this study on training methods.

The advice above is spot on too... trying to do too many of the most violent attacks on our plants can greatly confuse them. When you top a plant, major changes need to be made and the plant stalls for a number of days to sort all of this out. When she decides to grow again, she will do it with a vengeance, trying to make up for lost time with accelerated vertical growth. As mentioned, FIMs can also freak out the plant, and I have seen plants go nuts after a FIM, doubling in height while still in veg or herm later in flower.

I try to keep the major techniques to 1 per plant, and I would never FIM the same branch more than once. Also, instead of chopping into the main stalk and damaging the xylem, I like to instead just pinch the top growth tip. This accomplishes the same thing as a chop/topping, but in less time, and I believe with a lot less stress to the plant. Even pinching the apical node of a new plant only stuns the plant for a day or two, and then she is right back with aggressive growing.

When the plant feels it is under attack in this way, it will do everything it can do to achieve the vertical height you are denying it... the plant in veg is trying to adapt. If you allow her to do so, the result of a topping or pinching of the top node will result in an eventual attempt to send the two new dominant shoots up as high as she can get them. To shape a plant for production, you have to stop this by either topping/pinching again, or reverting to low stress methods. Since too much pruning of the apical nodes causes stress, I tend to pinch, LST till I run out of soil surface to work with, and then as I am allowing the tips to go vertical again, I pinch one more time, again, not just to add more buds, but to frustrate her need to add vertical height until I can manage to get multiple bud sites, now from the bottom and middle of the plant, to roughly the same canopy height. A plant wide sharing of dominance seems to greatly calm the need to stretch, even after the flip.

Happy Easter!
Emmie

So very informative and well written, Emilya. glad I stopped into Evil's grow today.

This one's for you :roorrip:

*Day 39 / Day 31 Update*

Ok guys, I'm just going to post when ever I can now instead of everyday; it was getting really repetitive. My Plant's have grew ALOT since my last update. My first plant is now a bush as emilya said would happen if I LST'd. My new light is helping out my plants so much, I can literally see big differences in both my plants each day!

First Plant ;

28_3-4-16_Day_39_3_.jpg

28_3-4-16_Day_39_2_.jpg

28_3-4-16_Day_39_1_.jpg

Second Plant ;

26_Day_31_3-4-16_3_.jpg

26_Day_31_3-4-16_2_.jpg

26_Day_31_3-4-16_1_.jpg

Thanks everyone for the tips and help so far, it means a lot to me.

- Evil

something isnt right here... and unless these pictures were taken in the middle of their night, I am concerned. How often are you watering?

I took the pictures just after my plants were in 4 hours of darkness; the light was turned on again afterwards. I water when the soil is dry about an inch or 2 below the surface.

*Day 44 / Day 36 Update*

The first picture of my first plant has some leaves that are dying at the tips; is this a problem or is there nothing to worry about?

First Plant ;

32_8-4-16_Day_44_2_.jpg

32_8-4-16_Day_44_3_.jpg

32_8-4-16_Day_44_1_.jpg

Second Plant ;

30_Day_36_8-4-16_3_.jpg

30_Day_36_8-4-16_2_.jpg

30_Day_36_8-4-16_1_.jpg

- Evil

Lookin good Evil! If plant 1 has the burnt leaf tip issue progressing, back off on the feed and just give her water for 1 round, then go back to feeding with the next watering if she looks to perk back up. Just drop the food dose a touch. :thumb:

* Day 46 / Day 48 / Germination *

OK guys, I've decided to grow yet another Northern Lights Auto! My plants are doing great so I thought why not grow another, so that's exactly what I did :) I flushed my first plant with 3 liters of water to get rid of it's burning tips.

First Plant ;

34_10-4-16_Day_46_3_.jpg

34_10-4-16_Day_46_2_.jpg

34_10-4-16_Day_46_1_.jpg

Second Plant ; (Has been growing a lot over the past 3-4 days)

32_Day_38_10-4-16_3_.jpg

32_Day_38_10-4-16_2_.jpg

32_Day_38_10-4-16_1_.jpg

Third ; (Seed)

Germination_10-4-16_6_00.jpg

Thanks everyone again for the help, I cannot wait to try out my first ever homegrown smoke :)

- Evil

Back
Top Bottom