My very 1st Grow- Northern Lights

Thanks! alright first her known deficiencies are nitrogen and magnesium. I added coffee grounds for the nitrogen problem and i was thinking of doing a compost of rotting raw spinach and coffee grounds. Would that work for the nitrogen?
And the magnesium- we have for some reason oral laxatives around the house
IMG_20120222_120618.jpg
IMG_20120222_120610.jpg

Could I maybe give her like a half teaspoon of it since its ingredients are just that or should i not chance it?

well I don't see the Magnesium lacking in your photos... but I do agree with your say on the Nitrogen... I recommend not doing anything. just holding out til Friday, they are young and you really don't have enough light... you can save her by giving her more light. What do you have going for reflectivity??

:peacetwo:

IMG_20120222_120610.jpg

Could I maybe give her like a half teaspoon of it since its ingredients are just that or should i not chance it?

About this... this is Magnesium citrate as in citric acid, this means that it would throw your pH all off and by the way, what is your soils pH?

Her leaves are twisting pretty bad it just started after i posted those pics. Im using foil until all my orders come in(new lights, nutes, etc) Im getting higher wattage cfls (100watt equivalent 1600 lumens) I found out the ones im using now are 75 watt equivalent. I'm getting another lamp as well which will definitely help. Im looking for one of those dual socket things with the edison screw i'm not quite sure what its called. My Ph is Currently pretty high. i'm not sure how to drop it but the coffee grounds are suppose to raise its acidity levels so once it absorbs that and the nitrogen it should balance?

Just had a look through your grow, My first grow was a northern and i found it a very forgiving strain, Took alot of abuse off me and turned out really good... Looks a bit nute burned or overwatered, I just used plain tap water when i did my northern and it was more than sufficent

If it doesnt make it, Try again with a northern cause once its underway you will be very happy with how she progresses, Good luck :Namaste:

Hey Princess,

What is the pH? Use lemon juice and the chart I posted to get the pH to 6.4.

Aston is right. Stop adding all that crap. Your plant can hold up for a couple of days. Buy a cheapo house plant fertilzer until then. Use it half strength until the BPN arrives. When it does, flush the plant with lots of water, then add the BPN nutrients.

Don't use the laxative stuff you posted. If you want to add magnesium in the future, use Epsom Salts. It's magnesium sulphate and is pretty mild. The laxative with citric acid will harm your plants. If it's going to cause your intestines to evacuate, imagine what it will do to your plant.

This girl can definitely be rescued. Don't keep adding crap to the soil. You will only make things worse. If you do get a cheapo fertilizer before the BPN arrives, flush the soil first to get rid of all the gunk you've added. Use LOTS of water. If she starts looking worse, just flush with water and leave her be.

The yellowing of the lower leaves is a sure sign of a nitrogen deficiency. These leaves are being consumed by the plant to provide nitrogen to the new leaves on top. That's why the upper leaves are green.

By the way, if you've already added the oral laxative, flush the plant immediately! The worst thing you can do is to keep adding crap to the soil to correct things. You'll only make it worse. I've seen lots worse plants than yours spring back to life once they are properly treated.

I guess it's like having a sick child. You want to help but aren't sure what to do.

P. S.

ugh she's dying and i dont know why! Where are all my subscribers when i need them!

I try to help lots of new growers and don't always get a chance to stop by growers who seem to be doing alright.

If you have a problem like this in the future, don't wait but post directly to my journal. Say something like, "ggrant - I'm having a serious problem with my plant. Can you stop by my journal and have a look?"

Hey ggrant! thanks a million! shes starting to do this freaky twist thing so i figured i'd better leave her alone. I only added the coffee grounds cause i read its good for organic compost, and it helps drop Ph and its great for nitrogen. I figured that would help but im not to sure.

my worm casting tea should be here tomorrow so im IMMEDIATELY starting her on that to give her the needed nitrogen and other nutrients. As for everything else you said thanks seriously i wasn't quite sure what chemicals and shit i could add to help her through the next hour/day etc.

Lighting it depends what and how many plants you want to grow. More light bigger plants and buds. 400w hps is in the middle and is what i use. 4-6 plants of medium size works well. Better lumens then a 250w and bigger buds. If you want to grow larger plants then 600w to 100w would work better. You can scrog under any lamp as long as you keep the plants even and low, (tie dow, bending, pinch, top, fimm ect) top Lamps start losing their effectiveness after 3 ft of height. Full spectrum bulbs work well for me like the hortilux. This way you don't have to use 1 bulb mh for grow and another hps for bloom. Whole grow 1 bulb. Well i hope i gave you some ideas about lighting. It's just my 2 cents.

:goodluck:
Flip

Lighting it depends what and how many plants you want to grow. More light bigger plants and buds. 400w hps is in the middle and is what i use. 4-6 plants of medium size works well. Better lumens then a 250w and bigger buds. If you want to grow larger plants then 600w to 100w would work better. You can scrog under any lamp as long as you keep the plants even and low, (tie dow, bending, pinch, top, fimm ect) top Lamps start losing their effectiveness after 3 ft of height. Full spectrum bulbs work well for me like the hortilux. This way you don't have to use 1 bulb mh for grow and another hps for bloom. Whole grow 1 bulb. Well i hope i gave you some ideas about lighting. It's just my 2 cents.

:goodluck:
Flip

Haha thanks I actually had questions about lighting for my particular situation. I wanna follow this:
CFL Light Tutorial
And use 3-4 cfls mixture of cool white and 2700k(can't think of the color) and i want to LST. so i was going to get the pieces in the pictures in that journal and have a more "customized" set up lol total lumens would be around 5000-6000. Is that good for just one single plant? I also want to do 1-2 clones but their set up would be slightly different.

Lights0.JPG
Lights210.JPG
Lights111.JPG

these are the pix of my DIY CFL light fixture, this works wonderfully, you can even move them to where the lights would point down and add about 2 or 3 more fixtures, which could in turn be another 4 - 6 more bulbs :thumb:

Hey Princess,

I saw you were looking for fluorescent lighting recommendations. I started to read the tutorial that you posted the link to. Then I figured, "Screw That!" I use fluorescents and I know what I'm talking about. This is all you need for now.

A decent reflecting globe:

Top of Globe

GlobeTop.jpg

Bottom of Globe

GlobeBottom.jpg

Fluorescent Lights (CFLs)

FluorBulbs.jpg

This globe is very common. I've seen it advertised online and I bought mine in a hardware superstore for about $30. As you can see, there is also a two-way light splitter, which cost around $5, I think. I tried to get a three-way splitter, but they don't carry them. Maybe they don't make them anymore out of safety concerns. Turns out two in a globe are pretty blinding by themselves.

As far as bulbs go, get the 23W bulbs. They are 100W equivalent - last time I say equivalent. If you post your fluorescent wattages, always use ACTUAL wattage. Anyone who knows fluorescents will know what you mean. Posting the equivalent will only confuse people (like me!). If someone doesn't understand fluorescent wattages, you shouldn't be listening to him.

All the bulbs shown are 23W. All give out 1600 lumens. The only difference is in their Kelvin rating. They are from left to right:

Daylight: 6500K - strong in the blue spectrum - perfect for vegetation

Bright White: 5000K - intermediate bulb - halfway between one above and one below - good all-purpose bulb

Soft White: 2700K - strong in the red spectrum - perfect for flowering

One or two of these in a globe is all you need right now for a single plant. Just keep the light about 2" away from the top of the plant.

I actually use one 6500K and one 2700K in each of my vegetation globes. Although the blue spectrum is more important for flowering, plants also appreciate some of the red spectrum as well. After all, you wouldn't want to eat only vegetables every day! Some fruit is also nice for a change.

By the way, if you're interested the Kelvin rating means the radiation you would get by heating an object to that temperature. Kelvin is like degrees Celcius, except that it starts from absolute zero ( - 273 degrees Celcius or - 450 degrees Fahrenheit)

For example, 2700K = 2427 degrees Celcius = 4400 degrees Fahrenheit.

By contrast, the temperature of the surface of the sun is about 5800K.

.​

Back
Top Bottom