Zo's First Grow 5x5 - AK48 - Northern Lights - Aurora Indica - Nirvana Seeds - 2016

Re: Zo's First Grow 5x5 - AK48 - Northern Lights - Aurora Indica - Nirvana Seeds - 20

Looking good, Zo! :welldone:

Thank you Mr.Krip for the compliment, I'm going to have to swing by your page soon and gain some new information, as breeding and curing sicknesses with Cannabis is a long term goal of mine. If i can cure all of the world's problems with one plant, i would be a happy rasta:ganjamon:

Re: Zo's First Grow 5x5 - AK48 - Northern Lights - Aurora Indica - Nirvana Seeds - 20

Hey Zo, I totally understand what you mean by investing in your knowledge with that grow book. I highly considered purchasing a book or two myself but they're usually pricey so I kinda found a loophole. I usually take a notebook and pens to my local bookstore and sit in the gardening section. My store has a nice selection of books on growing cannabis/marijuana so I usually browse through a different one each time. It's been a great way to solidify some of my knowledge and guarantee that people aren't advising other growers with bs lol

Update - 08/08 -
Day 33 Flower

I made a couple adjustments to the garden and removed the 2 previous blue tubs, replacing them with smaller more effecient trays, now the plants are at ground level to try lowering temps ( because heat rises ), Now temps are stable at 81-82 F and 45% humidity with all 16 bulbs running. In case your wondering the light penetration im getting, the lowest branch pictured is 24" below the lights, with the higher branches being closer to 12" away from the lights. I also trained one of my plants into a first of its kind method i call Zo's "Cage of green" , if you google "Cage of Green" you won't see any plants trained this way even though they may call it cage of green it usually involves a vertical scrog grow using wire cage. The only materials needed to replicate my method are Velcro plant ties ( come in different colors ) and bamboo garden stakes , both preferably GREEN, you dont want a "Cage of Green" with orange plant ties and yellow stakes , keep your garden GREEN:green_heart::cheesygrinsmiley:
You will also need Smart pots fabric pots (any size) for the velcro plant ties but im sure if you are using regular nursery pots you can find a way to make it work.

IMG_20160809_022925.jpg

View image in gallery

Ak-48 - Welcome to Zo's "Cage of Green"

Based on instructions from the book three a light, by day 30 of flower you should have your plants caged so they can support the extra weight of heavy buds without falling over. This is what the "Three A light" Cage looks like compared to my original cage.

Also note the books recommendation was to cage shortly after the 2nd defoliation , which is around day 18-22 , but mandatory to have them caged by day 30. My plant was caged on day 31

before cage ( day 28 )

after cage ( day 31 )

I actually waited late to do this which could've caused me to not like my cage once complete, it literally felt like i just pushed all of the buds to the center of the cage and the top colas were the only buds going to produce heavy nugs, while everything under the top of the plant would suffer, this is when the light bulb in my head went off and by day 32 i had envisioned and created "Zo's Cage of Green" or ZCOG.

Each Branch Gets its own section of the "Cage of green" , My Cage Has 8 total sections , 7 horizontal Branches tied down using velcro plant ties, When the plant starts packing on the weight and the velcro is no longer holding them down due to the weight making the branches fall, we reverse the velcro plant ties use and the branches will then get tied up to the bamboo stake to hold them up and support the heavy flowers.

Bamboo Gardening stakes serve two functions in ZCOG; they are used as support in the late weeks of flower and used to create a Equal cage of green, simply place the stake in the medium ( as far away from the main root as possible. You can then VERY GENTLY place your velcro plant tie around the desired branch and train it to the section you want, Be VERY CAREFUL not to break one of your branches

The 8th section is what i consider "Inside the cage" this should be your highest colas on your tree, around week 5-6 your heaviest buds will start to need support, Use A Velcro plant tie to connect the 2 branches like such, You can do this for any branches you want "Inside the cage" or that need support, just find the matching shoot/branch and Velcro to Victory!

Inside the cage

One of the lowest branches in the tent 24" under T5 Lights

Northern Lights - This plant was much more uniform in its structure so i just used the velcro plant ties to tie the bottom branches down and train them into there own section similar to the AK48, allowing the entire plant to produce good nugs instead of having a top layer of grade a and then a bunch of larfy buds.

-

Aurora Indica - This plant probably has the best scent in the room, with AK48 being a close runner up. i accidentally brushed up against a nug and when i smelled where i had brushed up it was an amazing smell, I cant speak for other growers and there phenotypes but it looks like this is going to be a very pungent fruity/candy smell and hopefully taste. Im bummed out i didnt transplant to a 5 gal pot before flower, the difference in bud size in AK48 and Aurora indica is very noticeable, but hey you live and learn.

Enjoy , and i hope anybody trying to learn how to ZCOG understood my message. hopefully i can pull a great yield from the AK-48 and use this method in my future grows and show others my method of success.:Namaste:

Very nice, job, Zo, especially for your first grow! Your plants all look great! +REPS! :high-five:

Very nice, job, Zo, especially for your first grow! Your plants all look great! +REPS! :high-five:

Thanks Mr.Krip, its hard to believe im this close to my first harvest. Its such a humbling experience watching the life cycle.

Update 08/12

Day 37 Flower

Its beginning to look a lot like christmas:yummy:
Nutrient feeding will now be reduced to 1/2 dosage gradually to 1/3 and will stop around day 48-49 giving the girls a proper 14 day flush of RO Water before harvest. (Planning harvest Around Day 60-65)

AK48 - ZCOG filling out very nicely.

Day 32 Flower (Day 1 of Zos Cage of Green)

Day 37 Flower ( 5 days later) - You can see I've added a few velcro plant ties since Day 33 to support branches leaning over. All side branches have now adjusted to the Low stress training and have begin reaching towards the light and filling in the canopy evenly. -
"Outside the Cage"
"Inside the Cage"

Northern Lights -

Aurora indica -

Subbed! Let's end this! Can wait to pop the last of my AI seeds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Thanks for subbing in, if you do a journal let me know so i can stop by and see what type of results you get.

Re: Zo's First Grow 5x5 - AK48 - Northern Lights - Aurora Indica - Nirvana Seeds ...

How many of the hairs on the AI would you guess have turned? Half?

I would say closer to 35-40% still plenty of new white pistils showing up . I planned on harvesting at the end of week 9 - beginning of week 10. How many of your hairs have turned?

Zo's First Grow 5x5 - AK48 - Northern Lights - Aurora Indica - Nirvana Seeds ...

I would say closer to 35-40% still plenty of new white pistils showing up . I planned on harvesting at the end of week 9 - beginning of week 10. How many of your hairs have turned?

I'd still say I'm sitting at 15-20% they just stopped turning ever since they first did. I expect too see more this week though.

Wow! all of your ladies are looking really good over there! Can't wait to see the final outcome.

Update 08/16
Day 41 Flower - Week 6 coming to an end, Coming up on Week 7!:cheer:

Few new updates to the tent -
Bought a new 5000 btu window ac unit because my old one was beginning to fail me.
You will now notice the plants are much closer to the light now with the temps being stable at 79-82 at the top of the canopy with lights on. My lowest branch is sitting right at 24" under the t5s while the highest colas are only 4-5" away. We should see these girls pack on some nice dense buds with little to no larf.

AK48 -

"Outside the cage"

"Inside the cage"

Northern Lights -

Aurora Indica -

Wow! all of your ladies are looking really good over there! Can't wait to see the final outcome.

Thanks, i really appreciate the feedback. This is my first grow so i'm just as excited as you if not more to see the final outcome.

I will be trying your training schedule for the plants on at least one of mine next grow. I don't even notice the buds because I just love seeing that perfect structure. I will likely say this a few more times before this over :)

Just stopping in to check on the subscriptions today. Still looking good over there.
I see you have 2 - 4 ft 8 Bulb T5's and the one I can see in your picture looks like you have 2 Bloom / 6 Veg bulbs in it.

What brand bulbs are you running and what is your mix of Veg and Bloom bulbs?

I will be trying your training schedule for the plants on at least one of mine next grow. I don't even notice the buds because I just love seeing that perfect structure. I will likely say this a few more times before this over :)

Thats Awesome man:Namaste:, Im glad you like the way i trained these girls and I'm humbled you want to try this. Remember if you plan on doing this method, start topping once your plants have reached 7-8 nodes ( once they enter rapid growth ) , topping very often every 3-4 days removing the tops that are "main colas" , this will make 2 new shoots and allow the remaining branches to catch up to the tallest cola. Its recommended to start pruning the lower parts of your plant around week 4-5 , I usually did this on the days i would top so the entire plant could heal at once, i did the last topping/pruning 3-4 days before Day 1 of Flower/Defoliation. Beginning to Manicure your plants in veg will encourage them to grow back strong and replace the plant matter that was removed so when you do this heavily on day 1 of flower they will be used to being stripped and will have a higher tolerance of responding well vs a plant that hasnt had any pruning done during veg ( this was really obvious with AI) , i would imagine this would shock your plants tremendously going from never removing any leaves to removing all fan leaves on day 1 flower.

Also i need to note that Aurora Indica was indeed a special plant all around, I topped all 4 plants for the first time on the same day, but for some reason i FIMed AI, and I never had to top the plant again because it was so short and it had a much rougher Veg/Teen life than the other plants and persevered and is now the healthiest plant in the room imo , Its now a bittersweet feeling because I know if the pot size was the same as AK48 it would give the plant a run for its money, probably winning , but its roots just arent as good as AK, and thats 100% my mistake .. you live and learn and man did i learn so much from the smallest plant in the tent, im so glad i didnt give up on her..
:ganjamon:

Back
Top Bottom