Rodrigo's Hydro AK48 - Aurora Indica - Big Devil #2

Re: Rodrigo's Hydro AK48, Aurora Indica, Big Devil #2

Subscribed. Looks like an interesting grow, I'll just sit over here and watch and learn

Welcome!
This is my first journal so I'm not really sure on how to proceed. So far I've just been posting weekly videos (I'll make one tonight), because the system is very stable and I don't really do anything other than clipping some leaves every now and then so I don't see the point is posting daily pictures or things like that. Weekly reports seem to do fine.

Thanks for subscribing!

Ok, guys, here's the link to the latest video taken last night
[video=youtube;kt6jwjMW_6A]
[/video]

Not much has changed other than the buds getting bigger and bigger. I'm a little over half way into flower, day 37 to be exact.
Enjoy!

Pre flowers are pistils that emerge from calyxes at the nodes, they are evident in vegetative growth on most of the strains I have grown.

here is the female pre flower

The_Early_Female_Preflower.jpg

Subn up Rodrigo! Interesting set up I like the hanging cfls placed throughout your girl!
Must keep you busy making sure they keep their distance :) buds are looking very nice, keep up the good work!
:joint: CA

Subn up Rodrigo! Interesting set up I like the hanging cfls placed throughout your girl!
Must keep you busy making sure they keep their distance :) buds are looking very nice, keep up the good work!
:joint: CA

Thank you! I do try to do my best so compliments are always appreciated!

The CFLs make a huge difference, no more popcorn buds! they still don't grow as much as they would if I had a low hanging HPS instead of CFLs but they do work and because they are energy saving bulbs they don't add up much to the bill, around $16 total and I have 11.

It's a bit of work keeping them away from leaves and buds but not as much as you may think. The trick is to do it right when you first hang them, then it's just a matter of keeping an eye on them as they grow, so far I've only had to move a couple a few centimeters to avoid burning the buds.

The buds ARE looking great, 6th week is almost over (on Tuesday) so now they are on the stage where they bulk up and gain weight. I'm only using nutes until the 10th (end of week 7) or maybe a little earlier, then I'm flushing for the last two weeks so I can harvest on the 24th (guess who's having a very merry Christmas)

I'll make a video in a couple of days to show progress, be sure to follow up! they should grow a lot in the following days, you can already tell they are bulking up.

Thanks again for the compliments!!

cool grow. Have you thought about hood reflectors for your top lights I've seen them made form just splitting beer cans.

The more I look at your grow the more I want to give it a go, cfls seem like money savers, but I feel like I would go overboard and whip out a good 20 of them strategically placed :laugh: I will keep an eye for your updates Rodrigo! Stay safe & well :peace: CA

I am planning on placing a few more in the future, I still have to better manage my available space. The next cycle will be the first time I run the setup to its full planned capacity. So far this is my second cycle using the current setup (I didn't have a tent before) and the last cycle I only had 1 plant, now I have 2 and a half (one stayed short, don't know why, but the same thing is happening to one of the AK48 in veg) so for the next cycle I'll have 4 which is the most I'm planning on flowering at the same time.

you can never go overboard when it comes to light, it is the single one thing you can go crazy with and your plants will be thankful, provided you get good air circulation, the temps don't rise to dangerous levels, and you keep them far enough not to burn them, which in my experience is only 3cm.

So here's this week's video.
Flowering day 44. Nothing else has changed, this will be the last week the girls are on nutes, starting with the next water change (around Monday) I'm starting the flush process so I'll be harvesting around the 24th.
So three more videos to go, on the 10th, the 17th, and then harvest on the 24th.
It's a short video, there's not much to show other than the buds have been getting bigger. Too bad the Overdrive didn't arrive on time, but well, next cycle is going to be great!

So here's the clip.

[video=youtube;s8zoilyVGUs]
[/video]

So I decided to skip this week's video, nothing has changed other than the size of the buds, which is getting bigger every day. The tips of the leaves started to change color to a light green as they do when they are depleting their stored nutrients, they have been flushing for about 4 days and I'm planning on changing the water every other day for the remaining time (13 days, harvest is the 24th).

So 13 days is still quite a bit of time so I'm very optimistic about the upcoming yield, I've been wrong in the past because it's hard to guess the weight of the buds by their looks, but AK-48 grows the denser buds I've ever had/seen/grow. Granted, I haven't seen a lot of strains but it's hard to imagine a denser bud, bigger yes by all means, but these are rock hard, I'll try to show the difference (looks to weight) between a normal bud and mine once they're dry.

I tried removing the intake fan to see what happened in the tent.
The results are, a lot of negative pressure is created, which is ok because there's enough room inside the tent to allow for a little shrinkage, but the temp gets a few degrees hotter and the humidity goes from around 35% to 67% so I put it back.
So I need a fan speed controller, but I don't really feel like spending that kind of money (the few you find here are very expensive), any chance a regular light dimmer will work? they go for around $20 here.

I found out that the store I get some supplies from sells cooltubes and they're not exceedingly expensive but overall I'm gonna need around $500 I think to upgrade the system, I'll need the cooltube, new bulbs, ballast and exhaust system so maybe after a couple more cycles I'll be able to do the upgrade.

So that's all for now, I'll post another video in a week, and then the last one will be the harvest video.

Peace!

A regular light dimmer or rheostat will not work for slowing down your exhaust fan, it will burn out the motor.

Thank you, I thought it wouldn't work, hence the existence of a fan speed controller, just didn't know why it wouldn't work.

I'm back to the old school solutions then, I'll just have to block the intake to allow little air in, that's gonna balance the pressures. I've done it before.

Thanks!

Hi, guys!
sorry I haven't completed this yet but as it usually happens, life got in the way.

So I harvested on Dec. 22nd, I made a video about it but I accidentally deleted it so that's part of the reason I haven't posted my results.
So like I said, harvest on Dec. 22nd, being that it's so hot here right now that they were in two days, at which point they went into jars after being weighted.
Unfortunately, I didn't get as much as I thought, only 124 gr, more specifically 55 gr of off each AK.48 and only 14 from the Aurora Indica
I later got 7 gr off the Big Devil #2 that was taken to the outside several weeks ago because I couldn't keep it indoors.

I started flowering the next cycle only 2 days ago so they should be ready mid-march.
I'm having a real issue at the moment, summers here are extremely dry and hot, so temps (at night) in the tent are reaching 40°C and water temps are about 33°C and humidity drops to about 10%
The plants are holding, but they show signs of being stressed because of the heat, there isn't much I can do about it so I'm trying not to stress about it and keep them otherwise healthy.
I won't be doing a journal this time around because the results won't be as good as they could be. I will however do a journal for the next cycle (march-may), at that time of year temps are much lower and I'll get much better results. I'll have 3 strains then; AK-48, Blue Mystic and Critical+

So thanks everyone for their support and advice, sorry that I have no pics or videos from what I got, I'll do better next time.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom