First Grow: Organic, CFLs, in 2.4 Sq Ft Box

I purchased a scale on sale for 15 CAD from RadioShack AKA The Source by Circuit City (as it's called here)

It has broken 5 times, but since I purchased the 5 year warranty with it for an extra 10 bucks, I was able to replace it right in the shop every time. My 6th one has worked like a trooper for years :p

All I can is wow, my friend/provider is a hard core HPS supporter and is very anti CFL. Grows like yours are keeping him from discouraging me.

Anyway this is about your grow, you did amazing and congratulations on an awesome grow! :goodjob:

Awesome grow man, im doing something similar at the moment.
You should be proud of those buds they look delicious.
Let us know the final weight :)

Hey tomeh thanks a lot. Yeah, I'll be getting back w/ the weight. I found your journal, so I'll be checking in soon.

Nice stuff there!
I'm not used to guessing dried weight from wet, but that looks like about 3oz?

hope you enjoy that smizzoke.

Now that they've been drying a couple of days I'm thinking it'll come in around 2oz, but I can't say for sure. Of course, more is better, and now that I've gotten this first grow experience under my belt I'm going to make some changes that will make the the next grow much better. Stay tuned for the smizzoke report.

I purchased a scale on sale for 15 CAD from RadioShack AKA The Source by Circuit City (as it's called here)

It has broken 5 times, but since I purchased the 5 year warranty with it for an extra 10 bucks, I was able to replace it right in the shop every time. My 6th one has worked like a trooper for years :p

You must have the patience of a saint, my friend. Five times! WTF ! ? LOL. Glad the newest one is working though. I'll head on down to the Shack soon to see what they've got. Thanks.

oh man I wish I could remember where I got my scale from. I paid less than 10 bucks for it, and it works wonders. I think I got it on eBay actually..

I'm gonna start checking them out on ebay too. Thanks.

those are perfect lil colas..Nice very nice

Thanks again! Yes, love the colas!

All I can is wow, my friend/provider is a hard core HPS supporter and is very anti CFL. Grows like yours are keeping him from discouraging me. Anyway this is about your grow, you did amazing and congratulations on an awesome grow! :goodjob:

HPS can grow some great giant buds, no doubt. But what I really want to know is: the quality of the smoke, the intensity and quality of the high, and the medicinal effects of ganja grown under a combination of different color temperature (Kelvin rating) CFLs. I'm curious to see how the smoke turns out. But if the little ball of resin I collected at harvest is any indication, it's gonna be some great bud. We'll see. And I am practically certain I can yield significantly more on the next try. Thanks for stopping in.

Gagalicious,
We are in the same boat you are except we know our wet weight. I'm not sure if that is a blessing or a curse. I am guessing that about 70% of the wet weight is water but that's only a guess...and only helpful if you know what you are starting with. I also agree that while weight is nice to know, it's the quality, taste and high that are more important. When you produce a yield like you have it's a good feeling to know that you have enogh of a stash to keep you going while you do the next grow.

You mentioned that there are changes you plan that will improve your process. What are the changes/improvements you plan on making? We are looking for ideas for improvement as well.

Looking forward to your smoke report. :rollit:

Gagalicious,
We are in the same boat you are except we know our wet weight. I'm not sure if that is a blessing or a curse. I am guessing that about 70% of the wet weight is water but that's only a guess...and only helpful if you know what you are starting with. I also agree that while weight is nice to know, it's the quality, taste and high that are more important. When you produce a yield like you have it's a good feeling to know that you have enogh of a stash to keep you going while you do the next grow.

You mentioned that there are changes you plan that will improve your process. What are the changes/improvements you plan on making? We are looking for ideas for improvement as well.

Looking forward to your smoke report. :rollit:

Hey fellas. Yeah, I wish I had a scale at harvest time to record a wet weight to track the percent decrease in mass, but it's not a big deal this round. Would have been nice though.

After several days of drying, the buds have shrunken considerably and lost lots of water mass. I'm going to reduce my dry weight yield estimate to about 1.5 oz, or maybe less. It's hard for me to tell because the amount of buds is still more than I've ever had at one time. It's not a big deal if the yield comes in light, since I didn't expect much mass from CFLs to start with and I grew in a tiny space. I realize I could have gotten a much better yield with hydroponics, HPS, or a larger space. That was not my main goal.

I'm considering the following changes/corrections for the next grow:

1. I'll allow the plants to grow taller. I didn't fully utilize the height of my grow box. I can raise the lights another six inches or so. Then I won't have to be nearly as aggressive with the low stress training.

2. I'll be adding CFL wattage to boost the total lumen output. I calculated that my current 256W CFL setup produces 17100 lumens. Apparently, a 250W HPS produces about 28000 - 30000 lumens. Also, since I was on a tight budget, I added bulbs as the grow progressed, so the current yield is not an accurate reflection of the 256W I was using by the end. If I'd used 256W from the beginning, then I'm sure the yield would have been greater.

3. With more CFLs, I will likely have to enclose the lights in their own vented fixture, just like you guys did, to address the heat issue. You guys did a great job on that fixture. It's awesome. I might also add a bathroom fan as suggested by linkorien, to improve air movement and help to control heat, especially during the summer months. Heat was probably the biggest nagging issue throughout this grow.

4. I made a mistake with the light cycle during flowering. When daylight savings time ended, my timer automatically adjusted and the result was that my lights-on period was phase-delayed by one hour. In other words, the lights came on an hour later and stayed on an hour later compared to before. This occurred on day 29 of the 12/12 cycle. I'm not sure how this may have affected the grow. I don't think it was good though. Won't happen again.

5. One plant (plant B) grew larger and produced more bud than the other. Surprisingly, it was the one that I'd accidentally broken the top off of (so she was accidentally "topped" after I had cropped her). This was surprising to me, since early in the grow plant B seemed less promising and less healthy than plant A. I'm not sure if the "topping" actually accounted for the increased bud yield or if it's just coincidence.

6. Eventually I'll build a larger box (more like you and your bro's) and possibly replace some of the CFLs with a HPS during flowering. This won't be for a while though, since I still want to see what kind of yield I can get with a mixed color spectrum of CFLs on the next grow in the same box, now that I've gotten a little experience under my belt.

7. I'm absolutely gonna stick with CFLs for now, since there is every indication that these buds are super-potent and super delicious. I do not "wish" I had used HPS, not at all. A popcorn-sized bud was dry enough to smoke last night . . . .

Preliminary smoke report:

The potency and aroma of these buds is gong to be stellar, I think. That little nugget went straight to my head with a powerful warm cerebral fullness. It tasted quite, um, "earthy" and green, since it was not cured, but I definitely noticed a very strong SOUR presence. Reminded me a lot of Trainwreck or Sour D or chemdog, I think. Now I'm really not sure of this strain's identification.

thanks for stopping in again.

Sounds like you learned a lot from your grow and have a great plan for the next. Congrats on you harvest and enjoy.....

it looks like you've learned alot from this last grow. I run CFL'S in my veg area. They are great. Jsut dont pump out all that extra growth, but for me thats perfect. I veg while the others are flowering so in 8 weeks girls can get ((((HUGE)))). anyways this is about you and the great job you've done. And the way you have a new strategy planned out desreves a +rep (if I can).CANT WAIT TO SEE THE NEXT ONE!!

Enjoy the arrival of the Ganja claus! The sled is loaded & on the way.

Hells yeah! It's gonna be a good one this year! Ganja claus is coming to town! I remember back in the day, how it was always so difficult for my friends and I to get the ganja, even some schwag, during the holiday season.

Short story: There was this one time during the X-mas season in the early 90s when our "guy" was out of his regular stock. He was super-cool and instead offered a few grams of what he called "Chocolate Thai", from his "personal stash," he said. My friends and I split up the buds and we each got about 1.5 grams or so. At first glance it didn't look like anything special, looked a lot like "headache Mexi-brown," very brown with hardly any green coloration, in fact, but the aroma indicated something quite different and the smoke was phenomenal. The high was extraordinarily mellow and smooth and cerebral. It was definitely something special that we'd never seen or smoked before. We were never able to score more of it, but it wasn't for lack of trying. It was still a nice xmas present, tho. Never had anything even close to that stuff since then.

Hells yeah! It's gonna be a good one this year! Ganja claus is coming to town! I remember back in the day, how it was always so difficult for my friends and I to get the ganja, even some schwag, during the holiday season.

Short story: There was this one time during the X-mas season in the early 90s when our "guy" was out of his regular stock. He was super-cool and instead offered a few grams of what he called "Chocolate Thai", from his "personal stash," he said. My friends and I split up the buds and we each got about 1.5 grams or so. At first glance it didn't look like anything special, looked a lot like "headache Mexi-brown," very brown with hardly any green coloration, in fact, but the aroma indicated something quite different and the smoke was phenomenal. The high was extraordinarily mellow and smooth and cerebral. It was definitely something special that we'd never seen or smoked before. We were never able to score more of it, but it wasn't for lack of trying. It was still a nice xmas present, tho. Never had anything even close to that stuff since then.

Kudos for your xcellent xmas memory-glad to see your "guy" had the spirit of the holidays. Hope these xmas buds make all your xmas dreams come true! Thanks for the great pics and info. Congrats.

I'm gonna report the weight tonight. It's lookin' pretty good, though.

Awesome! I heard that if you dry the buds in an uninsulated area-let the temperature rise and fall(not too extreme I'm sure)-treat the plant as if it is still alive then the smoke is less harsh. Not sure. Just say'n.
no matter what U have a great smoke coming :)
:nicethread:

So I finished manicuring the buds a couple of days ago, trimmed all the excess woodage, and they are now in jars for the cure . . . to mellow.

I think it was yesterday, I snatched one of the juiciest lookin' popcorn buds (right outta the jar labeled "sugar-coated popcorn "), then loaded her up nice, kuz she was finally dry and I've been waitin' all this time to tear into these buds already!

I think she nearly scorched my right lung when I took the first rip. Maybe my left one too, I dunno. Anywho, I hope curing will take care of some of that harshness.

And now for the good stuff (statistics):

Total Dry Yield: 2.43oz (69g)! Composed of ~1.8oz (51g) colas/mini-colas and 0.6oz (18g) of popcorn-sized buds. I did not weigh the shake, resin on the scissors, leaf, etc, tho it's not going to waste.

I am happily surprised at the yield. My original estimate was for 2oz, and then I lowered it a few days ago to 1.5oz (during drying) because it seemed like the buds were shrinking in an exponential fashion. So fast, in fact, that I thought maybe my buds were not destined for this current, "general consensus" reality, and were instead retreating into an existence of minimal massiveness in an alternate space-time continuum. But, no, it was just my perception that was off. Thanks, "evaporation," for nearly pushing me over the edge!

Oh, and I also underestimated the sheer number of buds and their density.

So I finished manicuring the buds a couple of days ago, trimmed all the excess woodage, and they are now in jars for the cure . . . to mellow.

I think it was yesterday, I snatched one of the juiciest lookin' popcorn buds (right outta the jar labeled "sugar-coated popcorn "), then loaded her up nice, kuz she was finally dry and I've been waitin' all this time to tear into these buds already!

I think she nearly scorched my right lung when I took the first rip. Maybe my left one too, I dunno. Anywho, I hope curing will take care of some of that harshness.

And now for the good stuff (statistics):

Total Dry Yield: 2.43oz (69g)! Composed of ~1.8oz (51g) colas/mini-colas and 0.6oz (18g) of popcorn-sized buds. I did not weigh the shake, resin on the scissors, leaf, etc, tho it's not going to waste.

I am happily surprised at the yield. My original estimate was for 2oz, and then I lowered it a few days ago to 1.5oz (during drying) because it seemed like the buds were shrinking in an exponential fashion. So fast, in fact, that I thought maybe my buds were not destined for this current, "general consensus" reality, and were instead retreating into an existence of minimal massiveness in an alternate space-time continuum. But, no, it was just my perception that was off. Thanks, "evaporation," for nearly pushing me over the edge!

Oh, and I also underestimated the sheer number of buds and their density.

2.43 oz?!:slide: Awesome!:clap::clap::clap:
Great job :goodjob: :yummy:

P.S. Bud smoked within the two weeks after harvest is usually very harsh and unpleasant going down lol.. 2-3 weeks into your cure it'll go away tho, and it will just get smoother from that point forward ;)

congrats on the haul. Goodjob for 2.4 sq ft box fa sho :cheer:

Back
Top Bottom