First grow - SSH, WW, HG and Lowryder x AK47

Some pics update 2 weeks from seed for smaller ones ( 10 days under the light ) . Will get another few bags of soil mix for the rest tomorrow. Also some upgrades on the room.
2668.JPG

3565.JPG

4431.JPG

i was watching Greenhouse Seeds comp. youtube grow videos and they used like pH 5.6 for vegging on Himalayan Gold and SSH.
Im still waiting for pH meter, as all the flights around european airspace will likely be cancelled for this week, so no mail delivery.
So I have no idea what pH is atm, will have to drive to closest nursery and get that shitty test kit.

I use the reagent kit to verify my PH meter readings now and then. You plants look very healthy, I don't think you are far from a good ph value.
The grow bags look good. Tall enough to give the roots somewhere to go.
How do/will you deal with runoff when watering?

There are small holes at the bottom and sides of each bag about 10-12 each. The soil pH was stated on the bag and is 6.3, using Plagron Light Soil Mix.
There is really hemphy smell in the room now, wondering whats the best way to control smell while flowering, looked into ozone generators they look promising and also kill micro organisms which is a big bonus.

Yeah I figured they would have drainage holes but are you planning to put them in a catch basin or tray. It gets awkward when they are bigger if you have to flush them, unless you have a floor drain I can't see.
From what I've read ozone gens work well but you have to be cautious about exposing the plants to it. They do give you an edge when it comes to mold prevention. You can build or buy a carbon filter to exhaust air through or recirculate to deal with smell in the house. I built one using 1/4 inch mesh hardware cloth, some window screening and pantyhose, running it with a 4" Soler & Palau inline fan. $135 Canadian for the fan, 25 for carbon and few bucks for metal screening. The fan is very quiet and lots cheaper than hydro shop pricing. There are cheaper but louder inline fans if you aren't too concerned about noise.
There is also a chemical odor treatment in a bucket by Ona but I don't anything about that other than the name.

just discovered today my water got pH of 6 and when i add Algae-Grow it goes to 5.9. I got the pH meter of a local hydro store today and pH up.
The growth is fine but the leaves have small deficiency in Mg and lack of watering as i watered weekly. I am sure pH is off a bit so today i adjusted it to 6.2 and next one will be 6.5 so plants receive less stress.
Also got pH meter for soil online so that should come by the end of next week.
Happy growing.

Hi mr.b. they look pretty good to me. I would be surprised if they had an mg deficiency this early. Maybe a hint of lockout due to ph being a little low. Now that you're getting geared up it might be wise to get ph in hand before you try to treat any possible deficiencies. They're growing quick, looking good.
Are you checking runoff ph or ph'ing your water/nutes prior to feeding?

just measured pH of water/nutes. didnt measure run off. should have added dolomite lime to potting mix, but getting experience for the next grow.
I also got MJ Horticulture Bible by Cervantes 2 days ago. great book!

Not worried about slight deficiency but better be safe than sorry. all i am missing now is HPS bulb ( will go for Philips Son T Pia max bloom in like a week ) and soil pH meter is coming soon.
and wow i didnt expect things to grow so fast. I think in 10 days they will be ready for flowering. id say the smell will be so good i will bring down a couch and will just sleep there.

Some prefer to measure runoff as the most accurate reading of what the roots encounter. Go for very fine dolomite flour if you can, otherwise it acts too slowly to benefit our timeframe. A little cal/mag won't hurt just to be sure it's covered.

The Bible is a great book, got a copy of it handy.

Yeah the smell kind of draws one in. Spend too much time in there then hit the mall for some chuckles but don't be carrying at the time, lol.

3 weeks under the light

Here they are after 3 full weeks under 600 MH light. Its 2 feet away.

DSCF8328.JPG

DSCF8327.JPG

DSCF8330.JPG

DSCF8331.JPG

first sign of pre-flowering.
DSCF8324.JPG

and my Raspberry bush and tomato behind for good measure. Probably will bring pests to the room.
DSCF8329.JPG

They looked worse when i found out i was watering with pH of 5.8, once i increased it to 6.2 and then to 6.5 things are turning around.

Cervantes book says don't put them to flower unless you see the signs of pre-flowering. I am confused here, as how are they meant to show preflower if they are on 24/0 light/dark or unless auto flowering strain?
can I switch to 12/12 when they are 1-1.5 to not go over 3-4' in height.
obviously still a donkey at growing, so thanks in advance for answers.

Don't worry about pre-flowers mr. b. Many strains will show preflowers, some won't. You can go to your flower cycle any time after preflowers show but you can also just continue to veg under 24/0 until their size suits your purpose.
If you want to help induce preflowering to sex your plants in reluctant strains you can reduce lighting to 20/4 down to 16/8 in theory without triggering actual flowering.

They're growing like crazy mr. b. good stuff.:thumb:

you're welcome mr. b.
Shouldn't be any reason not to shorten their day to help set them up for flowering. If that causes them to hermie then the breeder should get them off the market, it's a normal occurence you're just doing it a little more rapidly than mother nature.

I've been lucky enough to have never seen a hermi in person. I guess some stains are prone.

I'll keep an eye out for your pics.

There are lots of theories on how to enter 12/12 light schedule. I give them a day in the dark first but I have no particular reason for doing that. I'm not sure if it speeds the process or has no impact but it's only a day so I've stuck to the practise.

Back
Top Bottom