First Time DWC 2022 Bagseed

Yeah hahah rice cooker. It gets it up. We had super low humidity lately. I had to raise it from 20%! Water temps are great that’s what confused me. I’m not sure that they even reach 70 it’s cold here, most of the time I check they’re around 64 I believe. I’m a bit concerned they’re a little stunted. I’ve read here somewhere led need (either high humidity or was it high temp?) to get growing very well. I don’t really have a high amount of either of those are current. I figured mainly need the dehumidifier, going into flower I’m hoping I won’t need a humidifier
Well I'm glad to hear the res isn't getting too hot, but that's close to the "too frigid" zone. A degree or two lower will slow/inhibit growth, and possibly show you deficiencies (even if your nutes are perfect). Gotta stay in that goldilocks zone best you can :)

The lower RH could be what's getting them off to a slower start. With them being bagseed, chances are they're Photoperiods so you got plenty of time:thumb:.

Also, just as a heads up....I tend to loose track of journals sometimes. Don't ever be shy to tag me or PM me. Seriously, it doesn't bother me, in fact I'm usually grateful!

Well I'm glad to hear the res isn't getting too hot, but that's close to the "too frigid" zone. A degree or two lower will slow/inhibit growth, and possibly show you deficiencies (even if your nutes are perfect). Gotta stay in that goldilocks zone best you can :)

The lower RH could be what's getting them off to a slower start. With them being bagseed, chances are they're Photoperiods so you got plenty of time:thumb:.

Also, just as a heads up....I tend to loose track of journals sometimes. Don't ever be shy to tag me or PM me. Seriously, it doesn't bother me, in fact I'm usually grateful!
Well that lit a fire under my butt! I just checked res temp currently 68. It’s 70 inside, 73ish in the tent. The low inside temp is 68, I think the res temp shouldn’t go below 65 but I should really check it a few hours after lights out. What’s the safe range of rh would you say. I’m a bit concerned with it, but if I go to flower next week I should drop it to below50 I believe 40-50. Still in veg I should get it up to 50+ I’m guessing. I just did a root inspection and I’m surprised after only 3 days of z7 the color looks a lot better. Those droplets don’t mean acid rain right? I don’t live far from a power thing so that’s a concern there does seem to be a lot of perspiration on inside of buckets

99BC73F4-7152-412B-86D1-2A54DE7101B9.jpeg

64F to 68F is what most will say for a goldilocks zone (from memory).
Under 64F can cause troubles. Over 73F and your getting into the warmer side where unpleasant bacteria can thrive.
I've had to raise mine to the warmer wide before to accommodate the night time drops in temperatures (when growing in garage).
S
RH, at this point keep it around 50-60%. For all purposes they're vegetating right now, and unless there's PM concerns, your fine. You'll curse the low RH in veg, and be grateful for it in flower. Towards the end of flower is when you want that low RH to prevent budrot.

Edit- here's a good link on VPD, which is basically RH and temp. Some great reading to be had in there!
Thread 'Vaper Pressure Deficit: VPD Chart' Vaper Pressure Deficit: VPD Chart

I don’t want to bombard you all with notifications and updates but I’m off today and excited about my roots and growth.

Plan to flip Sunday
I read in a journal it’s best to top trim etc 5 days before flower for less stress. My main lady the big one hasn’t been touched yet as far as that.

I don’t really plan to scrog as of yet, my tent height is 71 inch. Not sure if I’d like to top, fem, or lst her prior to flip. I do like the idea of dark for 24-36 hours so I’d have to do whatever I do in the next few days.

This week #1 ppm has been 800-900
#2 has been 1000ppm. From what I gather this around about 1000 range I will keep again this week then bump it up next week 100. I don’t believe I should switch to flower nutes until pistols.

My nute directions were
5ml bloom 7.5 grow 2.5 micro per gallon.
3-5ml cal mag per gallon

What I ended up with was
12ml bloom 15ml grow 6ml micro and 10ml calmag
There was a method to my math madness, I was figuring for about 4 gallons but my net cups hang quite low.

Veg day 29: Res day rh 48% at lights on. (18/6 18inches away ) temp 72.1f res temp was 70
Since I’m going to continue this weeks veg I’ve mixed up the juices and were sitting at
#1 1020ppm (200 ppm water) was high 800s last week. Roots are showing less darkness by the day I’m pretty pleased with z7. Cm-12, z7 2.5, micro 7, grow 20 and bloom 13, ML.
I believe I got the order correct. Calmag, z7, micro, grow, bloom. Stirred and added at intervals. The water started in the high 8s ph but after mixing it was at 6.1.
I’m going to let it ride there overnight (at @PlanetJ ’s suggestion of traveling the full range) it’s been stagnant at 5.8 for a few days.
#2 isn’t getting a res change tonight I’m going to do it tomorrow.
The dirt lady has seen a bit of nute burn and or not watering enough. She’s got a pot under her to collect runoff now so she got a soaking.
Next week I’ll be switching to the grow/bloom transition nutes. I’m still not sure what to do with #1 the big ones training. Since I’m not planning to scrog I’m probably going to want to do something. Open to suggestions. Top lst fim? Was thinking topping as it seems the easiest. Not too inclined to lst this early especially with the buckets. She’s sitting at 8inch height now.
986400C5-16DB-468C-9782-6A93E5ADA49B.jpeg

Dirt
9AD18D4A-8A64-4843-92A5-2EBB5E34DE8F.jpeg

A crooked 2
7580A257-03DC-40A0-A48C-D591BAEA7AD3.jpeg

311D6B72-2E97-4E97-AE02-B6B3A287FC1D.jpeg

Quick update; #1 Res was 6.4 this morning I bumped it back down to 5.9. Hopefully it starts traveling the full range this week
Don't put too much emphasis on that, as long as you don't consistenly keep it below 5.9, it's not that important. It becomes important when you OCD your pH to 5.8 and it lowers over night, and you then wonder why dumping more calmag on her has 0 effect on the forming deficiency.

If your res tends to drift up, then setting her to 5.8 and ending at 6 the next day should be fine. Mine always goes down tho, except the first day after res change. I might have given you incomplete info there based purely on my own situation. Which I shouldn't do,

Don't put too much emphasis on that, as long as you don't consistenly keep it below 5.9, it's not that important. It becomes important when you OCD your pH to 5.8 and it lowers over night, and you then wonder why dumping more calmag on her has 0 effect on the forming deficiency.

If your res tends to drift up, then setting her to 5.8 and ending at 6 the next day should be fine. Mine always goes down tho, except the first day after res change. I might have given you incomplete info there based purely on my own situation. Which I shouldn't do,

Rh:30
Ph 6
Res temp 68
Ppm jumped up to 1100 after res change settle. Might bump it back down but 200ppm is the water

Yeah I was a bit worried that it sat at 5.8 for days. It’s been a lot more stagnant ph ever since I added the filter. It was walking the line and running the gauntlet of 5.8 and near 6.1 a few hours later. I’m still not using the full dosage of calmag so I probably would have done just that haha. I just checked it after 2 hours of dropping it to 5.9, it’s at 6 now. I probably won’t change it for another 11 hours.

I just wish the humidity was as easy to control. It’s 50+% outside and 30 inside. I’m going to crack some windows to see if that does much. Edit: oh yeah I could have bought a humidifier lol

You could lower your exhaust fan to up the room humidity a bit, if it has a speed controller, or have it on an on/off timer to achieve the same result.

The other option to raise humidity is the old wet towel trick. Take a small tub (like an old ice cream container), and drop a wet towel in it. Bonus RH for having a fan near/pointed at it.
Just be sure to swap out a clean towel daily to prevent mold.

Also, read this to get a good idea for PH in hydroponics, optimal ranges, and at what range the nutrients are absorbed. It's a bit of a read, but it's golden (and cites scientific research).
Post in thread 'Rex's Sponsored Test Of The ViparSpectra P4000 In A 4x4' Rex's Sponsored Test Of The ViparSpectra P4000 In A 4x4

Quick pick update and a question, it’s hard to see but I think I may see pistols. Tell me what ya think. Also seems like a bit of undergrowth. Should I defoil some this week before I flip?
#1 in all pics. 2nd pic they’re dead in the middle , other pics on stem both sides of that veiny sob

Edit: from reading through one of @Mosspb old grow it may just be normal growth.
6631D3CF-D9B8-4F2A-AF31-EA4514DC7229.jpeg

ECF97D6F-32CA-49C8-B298-3184870D5291.jpeg

Quick pick update and a question, it’s hard to see but I think I may see pistols. Tell me what ya think. Also seems like a bit of undergrowth. Should I defoil some this week before I flip?
#1 in all pics. 2nd pic they’re dead in the middle , other pics on stem both sides of that veiny sob

Edit: from reading through one of @Mosspb old grow it may just be normal growth.
6631D3CF-D9B8-4F2A-AF31-EA4514DC7229.jpeg

ECF97D6F-32CA-49C8-B298-3184870D5291.jpeg
Good morning @Venturisix hope your having a good day my friend.
I don't see pistols sorry.
A clean out under the light line is common before flip. :thumb:
Lollipopping it's called.

Stay safe
Bill

Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning -Winston Churchill

Preflip week is going well. #1 was topped today, both ladies got a trim up, however small #2 is going into flower sched next week has me thinking. She’s a trooper, with the bashing from the hygrometer she’s got a mad list to her (salty dog speak for a lean). Lots of undergrowth on her, the fan leaves were a bit wind torn from weeks ago. #2 also still has some lingering root issue as the pic shows. I added another ml of z7 to see if that will sway it. If not it’s h202 time.
The new ph meter came in. I’m a bit off from my old tester. So I think my buckets are 5.7 or 5.9 lol. I’ll get them calibrated tomorrow to figure out some accuracy. Buckets were a little warm but I think I got the temp after it was hit with some light. They’re about to get some cool air so I believe it should drop in respectable parameters here shortly. I should get a cheap windshield Sun block material to insulate them.
Edit- I turned off the extra cfl I think it’s the cause of the extra heat, and heat to the buckets as it’s lower than the led and hotter. Maybe I should turn off the led while I check ph

I caught a post of @Rexer How To Cure Your Marijuana Crop

Very interesting read there. I suppose that method wouldn’t use the 62% packets method. I’ve been reading quite a bit on the curing process lately. Have you guys tried any of the easy burp lids? You essentially turkey baster the air out and it’s said to not add oxygen. I like the idea of a fridge cure, if it works well as well. The curing process I think will me more of my mad scientist state than this grow which I’m kinda playing it safe and not trying to anger the ladies.

Hope everyone’s getting some good vibes and good rays! Listening to some easy all stars and I picked up some Alien Runtz today. My buddy got some as well and he said “my truck smells like 2 skunks are having an orgy” which is quite fitting for him because he’s an exterminator haha
1 before
98A8CC70-D5CF-4095-830F-6B0D1830895B.jpeg

1 after top
5559F893-1F88-4BEF-98F6-4A3E15D7C364.jpeg

#2 roots
44D40BD1-72C8-4293-B15C-221CE102224D.jpeg

EFEA2FCC-1EF3-4892-ABF9-77AFC56FE720.jpeg

#1 post trim
788306F5-2BE4-4718-9909-C5A1C491AC34.jpeg

Hey Venturisix

I'm glad you're looking ahead and thinking about how to dry and cure.

For the method used in that link, the 62% packs can be used, after they have been dried and jarred.
The Boveda and those types of packs will only remove a very small amount of moisture, they're designed to keep a steady RH for during the cure.

The fridge drying works great, and is how I dry mine now. I have an old fridge, that is now a dedicated harvest fridge.
The longer it takes to dry, the better. Cold temps can help extend the dry time without mold risks

“The beauty of light owes its existence to dark”

Lights just went out for the ladies extended retreat from the light of day. I believe I’ll have the lights out for about 30 hours. Not quite the 36.
Here’s a pre dark pic. #1 has had something nibbling on its top leaf. I sprayed home defense in and outside of the tent. I think I saw a gnat early in the week. Not too worried. The buckets should be inaccessible, the (ortho?) home defense is some pretty powerful stuff.

The decision to bump up the darkness period was mainly due to my excitement of getting new beans this week. I also wanted to make sure the roots were healthy enough. Still a bit concerned with #2’s roots but I’m not afraid to lose her either. I should have added h202 to her before darkness but my way of thinking is the root issue can’t progress without light right? They both got another half ml of z7 last night so I’m hoping for cleaner roots come bright:30.

My buddy doesnt believe in the dark period, even went to call it snake oil haha. He’s a character. To me the pros outweigh the cons. What do I have to lose? Some growth. Though I’m not worried about that these babies are going to stretch.

I believe it was Rexer who mentions k.i.s.
I’m a firm believer in keep it simple, sailor as well.

To that effect I wanted to lay out a few key decisions I’ve made on this front to help others who may be starting their dwc journey and reading this.
5 gal buckets. No extra res=no leaks
Black buckets* no sight tube. Painted bucket lids bright white to keep water temps down.
Drilled into side lip for air hoses-black* allowing easy lid/pot removal.
Z7 or hydro guard is going to be a must
Cal mag, while using led is going to be a must as led plants require more than hps/mH.
Dehumidifier

Hindsight is 20/20
A few things I could have done better
Humidifier.
Adding z7 at start not a month in, post root issues
I would have liked to used hydroguard in conjunction with z7 I likely wouldn’t have had root issue as much
Perfect water. It’s the base of life. City water is less forgiving and full of extras we don’t need.

In conclusion, Tis’ Friday my dudes and dudets. Go forth, do great things this weekend. Do things you’re passionate for, for life is too short to not be sensibly happy.

See you all on the dark side of the moon!

2176037A-CC52-48B6-A30C-174B9AC3BCC2.jpeg

Not much to update today. Lights are back on. 12-12 schedule with both bloom and veg buttons set to all ahead full. Added 1.5L water between the 2, .5ml z7 to #1 and 1ml to #2. Miss dirt was pulled. I don’t think I’m going to have enough room and aspirations to deal with her, especially since she’s not in proper soil. Anywho lights moving up back to 18inches up from 16 from the growth.
And to all a good night.

Flip day +1
I put in 10ml of h2o2 3% into lady #2. I’ll do a res change tomorrow so that will sit for 24 hours. I’ll get some root pics tomorrow.

#1 is chugging along, I snapped a pic of her damage from nibbling. I don’t think it has progressed any.

I’ve calculated the numbers on my nutes for tomorrows transition faze.
Suggested is
Bloom 10 grow 1 micro 4. ML per Gallon. I’m figuring for 4g and with reduced numbers I’m planning on
Bl-30 gr 3 mi 12 total per bucket. Cal mag was shooting for 9ml and z7 I’m bumping up to 3ml up from 2.5.

Well that’s probably it for today folks.

922E1A72-3C73-429A-9621-6B7B8D811F59.jpeg

65A133A4-1D85-4FD9-A480-859C215C93B6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom