First Timer Hoping For Magic With CFLs - DWC & Bag Seeds

Re: First Timer hoping for magic with CFLs, DWC and bag seeds

It will flower even from seedling at 12-12. You don't *have to wait till the nodes alternate.

Absolutely correct, it has its own programmed time table and you cant change it much at all.

i only asked because even when you go strait to 12-12 it takes a while for it to show sex, now if a sexualy mature plant that has shown sex is put under 12-12 will this switch to flower cycle quicker than a plant that is not mature yet, does the plant still veg under 12-12 until its mature enough to flower, this is possibly why glr method works so well as the plant thinks its reaching the end of its cycle so it grows fast to produce pollen but with glr you give it an hours worth of extra light during the 12 hour dark period so this stops it flowering and keeps the plant in that massive growth,

Correct It must mature first, such as us mammals before we are able to procreate. Each strain being different as well, including the individual autos.

Your theory on GLR may be correct, perhaps you can find supporting evidence for us. Would make a great FAQ for the site...

POP Quiz for the first timers....
Where does an AUTO come from? Who's been reading?

10 points for that one, correct with the ruderalis for the auto, i was just wondering why the glr method worked so well and had vigerous growth then i thought about how the plant grows during flower and the huge stretch under 12-12 and found the plant does this to ensure it gets pollenated before the plant dies. so this is what must happen under glr except the plant stretches thinking its coming to the end of the season but the 1 hour light stops it going into full flower, its a good theory and thats all i have on it, i do want to try it and will with one of my next grows,

In short...

Flowering is triggered by a hormone produced in the plant. Just so happens this hormone is destroyed by light. So as the photo period shortens to 12 or less the hormone survives and redirects it energy. The extra light between the the 12's is enough to destroy that hormone and prevents flowering. I use GLR in my veg room. I save 5 hour a day in one setting. Assuming I was running 18/6.

Sorry guys for my delay. Been busing visiting my parents and family for Easter weekend. good shit and good question smoke but seems like most people following me at least have done some reading :) (ruderalis typically contain very little thc, which is why they were crossed obviously).

Smoke,don & surf

While, this is my first time i have a degree in plant and soil science. So obviously i understand this plant's physiology and morphology to a point. This being said from reading i believe it is the phytochromes that start to accumulate and build up the buds. Also, auxin's don't like light so they typically "toss" those hormones to the stem or parts of the plant that aren't directly in lights path. Which is one of the reasons that plants are attracted to light besides phototropism (i was taught phototropism and gravitropism as opposed to negative and positive heliotropism). I haven't found a lot of data on why bud works the way it does, its not listed in a lot of journals etc. but ill try to figure some more out and make a blog or a post or some shit once i do. However, my guess is it has a lot to do with the auxin's and the ethylene acid (my spelling may be off) Auxin's don't like light and stimulate most initial and ongoing growth, however ethylene acids prevent or make plants flower at certain times etc. apples, bananas; and even then they are easily monitored and manipulated by cycles and timings or certain elements if necessary. For an example ethylene acids are manipulated by fruit company's to ensure that their fruits don't ripen prematurely(apples, tomatoes) or post maturely, so that they can make the market and why we don't eat rotten or gross fruit and vegetables or those that are reproducing then harvested then ingested.

Anyways kinda ranting but i like the chat ive seen over the last few days, if anything continue to discuss good shit on my journal we are all here to learn and benefit.

Sorry for no pics, ill have some tomorrow, when i was leaving she was sleeping so i didn't wanna wake her :) but it looked like a funny leafy stem with a hat ( I left a few leaves to provide sufficient photosynthesis etc. ) Over a day i saw all those node grow a ton, as well as the roots. I'm assuming the fact i have 104watts (4 bulbs atm) about 2-3 away from each side i am assuming the plant doesn't feel it needs to grow to maintain adequate light intake so it doesn't. My initial few fan leaves were "clawing down" over the rest of the plant which was an issue for me. I couldn't pin them back or tuck them away simply because there was nothing for me to attach it to. While pruning you never want to take off more than 1/3 of the plant foliage at time so i was careful to do that. I took the biomass of my trimmings the next day and it was .06 with 8 fan leaves off. Then I raised the lights maybe an inch to hopefully get those nodes out and up from the stem.

Anyways ill be back tomorrow and post some pictures sometime to see how its doing after a little haircut. Happy holidays and safe traveling i want someone to cross a resurrection plant with cannabis, It would be epic however I don't think possible :(

Keep up the posts i dig it! Any questions, concerns or comments ask away and ill catch up with y'all tomorrow

I saw an opportunity to steer the topic a bit and took it. I try to remember this is recorded and will serve many more down the road. I thought it helpful to all, I know I learn a lot just helping others with their issues. It apparently sparked a bit of good conversation...

Where would we be without each other... Alone that's where!

I prefer this any day. priceless...

I saw an opportunity to steer the topic a bit and took it. I try to remember this is recorded and will serve many more down the road. I thought it helpful to all, I know I learn a lot just helping others with their issues. It apparently sparked a bit of good conversation...

Where would we be without each other... Alone that's where!

I prefer this any day. priceless...

Exactly i would rather see GOOD conversations in my journal that a few people care about than nothing important or nothing at all. Especially when its something I've been reading about. :welldone:

great info mate, could do with some help with a newly sprouted auto problem ive got, anyway mate cant wait for the pics, i always look forward to the updated pics, sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to plants, it would be crazy if it could be crossed with something totally out their, could get some crazy results

great info mate, could do with some help with a newly sprouted auto problem ive got, anyway mate cant wait for the pics, i always look forward to the updated pics, sounds like you know your stuff when it comes to plants, it would be crazy if it could be crossed with something totally out their, could get some crazy results

Yeah ill check up on your journal after I post these pictures and see if i can be of any help.

Tons of growth, The biggest fan leaves i left to compare to size difference once i came back from visiting. There was alot of growth and its really starting to bush out i tried to get some decent pictures so well see how they look. Might up the N a little tomorrow when i change the rez and see if i can get a little more outward growth.

IMG-20120409-00092.jpg
IMG-20120409-00093.jpg
IMG-20120409-00094.jpg
IMG-20120409-00095.jpg
IMG-20120409-00096.jpg

Today i did a rez change and flushed it with a gallon of r/o water. I also upped the nutes to about 520ppm. ph 5.5ish and looking good.

I gave it another hair cut and took 4 big fan leaves off. The stems are really starting to grow out and a few of them are growing horizontally out. I decided to raise the lights about 2 inches so i could get some CFls on the side. I'm going to try to do a little light induced LST I'm thinking if i put more light on one side the plant will bend and stretch that way to get it, then once its bent ill put the lights more so on top rather than the side.

have you noticed that using cfls you get very little to no stretch, i tried raising the lights quiet a bit just to get the plant to stretch slightly, well i managed it and now the plant is growing normal again, it seemed to me like the cfls prevented the plant from getting any taller, i think i had my lights to low and my temp to low, but i think my plants are growing great now, i was concerned they was not going to go over 6 inches but i raised the temps by leaving the fan off and raised the lights and now my plants have really shot up in growth and are starting to look like plants again, before the nodes where to close and dont think it would of helped with the yield but now my branches are growing as normal,

Albatross I also had the same problem with my waterfarm hydro grow, all of the growth was so close together that the leafs in the middle weren't getting any light. At first I though this was because i had to make a splash shield the somewhat boxed the plant in causing the growth to be more vertical but it just kept doing the same type of growth even after it grew above the shield.

The stem on my hydro plant is very thick probably 1/3 more thick than my coca plant but the branches on my coca plant are 3 times the length of the hydro. so my conclusion was that the hydro was stunting it's own growth by growing into itself, I cut 4 fan leafs and that seemed to help but next time I'm gonna do a very soft LST to the plant.

im growing in soil, but my stunted growth was down to a mixture of having the lights to low and temps where down when where the fan was blowing on the plants, my stem was half an inch thick and my plant only 6 inches tall, since turning the fan off i have had loads of growth, i have found that using pipe cleaners and tie all the leaves out the way of the growth under them and make sure all the new nodes have got the light directly on them, doing this has encouraged loads of new growth and my plants are filling out nicely,
ive noticed loads of cfls grows that have had very little stretch, i wonder if their is something in this

Yeah I don't know id expect more growth of the stems so far but oh well there is a lot of stems and nodes now so when it grows out it will be looking great. Its hard to find journals that look familiar to mine at this point but ill keep searching. I haven't seen too many CFL dwcs either.

Anyways, heres a pic with a little hair cut
IMG-20120410-00098.jpg
IMG-20120410-00099.jpg

Extra wattage on the left
IMG-20120410-00100.jpg

As you can see its already kinda starting to lean that way, I also added a 120mm 54cfm computer fan, my old fan was loud and really starting to piss me off

You know what don p I think your on to something, that being alot of CFL Grows have stunted growth. I think thats because of the advice on how to grow with CFLs is to have them 4 inches or less, but I'm starting to think that with proper reflection on the sides of your box and a good hood to your lights maybe the best distance might be alittle higher.

possibly 8" to a foot might be a better distance to promote better vertical growth . When people are growing with HID bulbs I think for growth it's commen to have the light 2 or 3 feet above the plant. For a lot of people growing on this site it seems most are using 150 + watts personally for the final 3 weeks of growth I was rocking 300 watts which is just alittle less then a 250 mh lumen output.

For my next grow I'm defiantly gonna put my lights higher maybe start at 8" and slowly go to a foot. don't want to try that with this crop because they just went into bloom and man do they get big in just the first few days.

it would explain a lot wouldnt it, i mean with cfls you can get the bulb within an inch of the plant, so because the plant is at the light does this mean it stops growing, or is it due to the type of light, i was using only 6500kelvin cfls in the veg room, but the 2700k cfls when used make the plant stretch loads so i have gone 50-50 mixing the lights, but the people that say the 2700k bulbs stretch the plant may just have had their bulbs higher up, some testing needs doing, more needs to be learned with these lights,
i have now switched to the gas lantern routine as i was told it gets massive growth but after 3 days im not getting more growth if anything its seems slower, when i was using 24-0 light the plants packed on the leaves, well im thinking they did this as the light was their to take so they produced leaves to increase the uptake in the light, but ill give the glr schedule a week or so in case it takes time to kick in, im half deciding to raise my lights just to get some stretch i could always lower them after, for now ive got a mixture of both spectrums and ill give that a day or 2 and see what happens, if nothing changes ill raise the lights

but im questoning myself all ready, because raising the lights reduces the lumins hitting the plants, so will this actually slow down growth or will the plant push the plants towards the lights, its something i gota try and find out one way or another else my plants will be in veg for 6 months before they reach 1ft, at the moment im pushing 7inches i want to flower at a ft as they double or sometimes triple in size during flower

time will tell

Back
Top Bottom