Germinate and dome advice

Bignell91

Hi again

As most of you know iv had a few problems im down too 3 out of 9 3 going strong 1 died and 5 didnt grow im germinating 5 more i know to soak them in water for a couple of days until they sink then the paper towel but what to do after that do they need light right away do i keep the dome on iv done 3 sucsessfull but i messed up the others just dont want to mess up with these

From the paper towel I plant seeds in solo cups with no cover, I use my regular veg lights but raise them up to 30"-36" and lower the lights as the seedlings grow. Remember in nature plants receive full sun light from day one.

This is how I do it:

full

Seedlings Popping Out of Coco/Perlite

The tray is on a seedling mat. The egg crate diffuser keeps the nursery pots out of the run off. The run off is not removed, to keep up the humidity. The tray is normally covered with a high-dome to keep the heat and humidity in. There is a two tube T8 5500K florescent light about 15cm (6") above the dome. The saucer contains the seeds that haven't germinated yet. It normally has a second up side down saucer covering it to keep out most of the light. Before I put them in between the damp (not soaked) paper towel, they are put in a shot glass. The water is from my RO with 0.3 ml CALiMAGic per liter. That is used until the first set of leaves are about 2.5cm or an inch long. I normally get about a 90% germination rate.

I'm not sure why,but the paper towel thing has never worked very well for me,so I pretty much use Pennywise's method,except I start them in the cups-I lose a few that way,I'm sure,but not as many as when I try the paper towel thing-probably has something to do with my clumsy sausage fingers:)

Whether it's soaking, in paper towels, or in soil, I've always believed it was the temperature that was responsible for success. I use a setup close to what Old Salt uses, and have had great results. If your water is getting cold, they won't pop. I set my heat mat at 80°f.

I've soaked, and used paper towel, but separately. One or the other. Usually see the taproot within 48hrs.

BTW--Welcome!

My heating pad is a 65 year old stove with pilot lights-keeps them right at 82 degrees...
Unless I move them a little to the right,then it's 85....
I do move them when the wife is baking something in the oven.

My heating pad is an 65 year old stove with pilot lights-keeps them right at 82 degrees...
Unless I move them a little to the right,then it's 85....
I do move them when the wife is baking something in the oven.
I used to do the same thing, until, one cold Michigan winter, a mouse snuck in and ate me babies! Ha!

No mice in my house yet,but my 3 year old granddaughter is the curious sort,and asked me why I have cups of dirt on the stove.
I told her it was to make it "better"...she,of course, wanted to make some dirt better,so now there's a solo cup full of dirt on the stove all the time...
Might act as a decoy for the mice....

Whether it's soaking, in paper towels, or in soil, I've always believed it was the temperature that was responsible for success. I use a setup close to what Old Salt uses, and have had great results. If your water is getting cold, they won't pop. I set my heat mat at 80°f.

I've soaked, and used paper towel, but separately. One or the other. Usually see the taproot within 48hrs.

BTW--Welcome!

I'm with CC on this, mine always germinated better when kept warm.

I use a heating pad and the jiffy pellet pans with distilled water. Soak the pellets for a day, place a seed in each pellet, fold up a thick towel and place it on the heating pad set on low and place the pan on top of the towel then cover it with another towel and pretty much every seed I did that way popped. Then the pellets make a neat little package to plant in the dirt without ever touching the roots. Let the plants grow in the pellets in the pan with the lid on for a couple of days then take the lid off and let them get a couple of inches tall then put them in the dirt in small pots then your set. Easy peasy

Of course everyone has their own methods but that's one I came up with and it gave me near perfect results every time.

Also :welcome:to :420: your in good hands here and I just know your going to love it!

Thanks for ypur help guys
Ill go with the heat pad and putting a plastic bag over the top of the cups see how i get on there, how big should i let the plant grow before i take the bag off? Anybody got a picture of the right size

From the paper towel I plant seeds in solo cups with no cover, I use my regular veg lights but raise them up to 30"-36" and lower the lights as the seedlings grow. Remember in nature plants receive full sun light from day one.
Brilliant thankyou
So once germinated and they have a root from the paper towel i could put them next to my plants i have already under 18 hour light

Thanks for ypur help guys
Ill go with the heat pad and putting a plastic bag over the top of the cups see how i get on there, how big should i let the plant grow before i take the bag off? Anybody got a picture of the right size
At least until the third set of leaves appear. I wait for the fifth, then top between the third and fourth sets of leaves, transplant, and move to my tent.

TBH, germinating is really the easiest part, keeping them happy and healthy through their entire life cycle is the more difficult part but it's so worth the effort my friend, the challenge is a big part of what makes it so fun and therapeutic.

The #1 and best thing you ever did while taking on this new adventure is by coming here right away to learn how to grow your Cannabis properly. You didn't just wing it or fly by the seat of your pants, you came here to seek the help of professionals and you found the most professional and sympathetic Cannabis growers on the planet hands down!!!

This place is a gold mine of knowledge, compassion and most of all, love for one another like no other place I've ever been and that love comes from the top down, meaning that it comes from the founder of 420 Magazine all the way down to the newest of new to the Cannabis world.

Whenever you get a handle on things and it's all up and running, I'd like to extend you and everyone else here an open invitation to join us on the activist side of things here and learn how to make a difference in Creating Cannabis Awareness.

Everyone should be aware that without actively supporting the legalization of Cannabis and Hemp both nationally and ultimately world wide, all this legal growing can all go away with the simple stroke of a pin and Cannabis consumers everywhere will be back to square one again living in fear of incarceration and lives ruined forever.

Our main mission as Cannabis lovers should always be ending this horrible war on a plant once and for all and none of us should ever loose sight of that. Remember there are only 10 states and DC recreationally legal now so there's still a ways to go on the national level and states like mine here in Georgia need all the support we can get. We still live with fear every single day of our lives so we need everyone's support from everywhere...Please do all you can do to help guys and gals.

Much love and positive energy to all of you from my little peace of the universe to yours...

:love::Namaste::love:

I never had any success with paper towel. I like soaking for 24 hours, then plant them into Jiffy pucks and put them inside a small humidity dome. I then place this on a heating pad. I also believe heat and humidity are the two main factors.

Back
Top Bottom