Got a plant issue that no one seems to be able to answer. Please help!

MMRC Grower

This is my first time growing hydroponics and its not going too well. These plants react fast to even any small change in hydro.

Anyway, I've search the web like crazy and I can not find anything at all to help solve my issue.

I read on one site that my issue could be from heat, but my temps are always in the 70's. Sometimes they'll hit low 80's or high 60's, so heat definitely isnt a problem.

Then I read somewhere else that I'm probably over fertilizing, but my ppm has only been around 550.

I flushed and changed out my res twice and still this doesnt go away.

So here's all my info. Any help what so every would be greatly appreciated.

Nute Strength: GH Flora Series. 62.5 ml Grow, 37.5 ml Micro, 12.5 ml Bloom, 5 ml Floralicious Plus, 50 ml FloraBlend for entire 10 Gal Res.
PPM: About 540 ppm. Using Filtered RO water
Temp: Always around 78 Degrees
Reservoir: 10 Gallons
RH: Usually around 35%
Light: 1,000 Watt Metal Halide Light. 2 ft from plant tops. Air cooled hood. It can actually be closer.
PH: Usually around 5.8 - 5.9
Light Cycle: 18/6
Grow Area: Two car garage about 170 Sq. Ft.
Ventilation: 780 CFM Inline Fan connected to 10" ducting. Plus Osilating Fan set on high.
System: Hydroponics Recirculating Drip. Plants in 4 in. rock-wool cubes that sit on about 1 in of hydrotron grow rocks.
Strain: Nirvana's Pure Power Plant.
Other Strains: OG Kush, Lemon Skunk, Great White Shark, The Church and some unknown Mex strain.

So this is the plant I'm having the issues with. Its a Pure Power Plant from Nirvana seed back. The other plants in my garden are nothing like this at all.

The leaves feel very dry, like there about to die and fall off. There shriveled up with a lot of under-curling. This plant has the biggest stock out of all of my plants that were started at the same time. It seems to still be growing, but these leaves are driving me crazy. I can't figure this one out.

Here's some pics.

11-22-098-52.jpg

11-22-098-80.jpg

11-22-098-50.jpg

Here they all are together.
RDSC_0126.jpg

If you want to see more pictures, I have tons of them on my grow journal that is linked below.

Any help would be great!!

Re: Got a plant issue that no one seems to be able to answer. Please help!!

Well the 4" rock-wool cube that its in is constantly wet. It never drys out. I have a dripper set on it that goes on 5 times a day for 30 minutes each time. Its a pretty fast drip. Its practically just flowing out for 30 minutes each time. It stays off during the entire night cycle.

So I dont know if thats it, but definitely a possibility. I think I'll bump up my feeding schedule to feed more frequently and see what happens.

Thanks a lot.

If anyone else has any ideas please let me know. I'm taking everything into consideration here until I get these plants looking better.

Thanks Screwnuts

First of al the plants don't look that bad. Looks to me like they are not getting enough humidity. When the plants are in veg they like to be treated to rain forest conditions. I keep mine around 65-70% for veg. The reason I'm saying that is that the leaves are not flat and kind of distended between the veins. That's the plants way of gathering as much moisture as possible.

It's going to be pretty hard to increase the humidity in a whole two care garage and having big venting will compound the problem. You might try misting them regularly and see if that helps or perhaps surround the area with wet towels. If they improve then you know your problem is humidity based and you can work on ways to increase it.

First of al the plants don't look that bad. Looks to me like they are not getting enough humidity. When the plants are in veg they like to be treated to rain forest conditions. I keep mine around 65-70% for veg. The reason I'm saying that is that the leaves are not flat and kind of distended between the veins. That's the plants way of gathering as much moisture as possible.

It's going to be pretty hard to increase the humidity in a whole two care garage and having big venting will compound the problem. You might try misting them regularly and see if that helps or perhaps surround the area with wet towels. If they improve then you know your problem is humidity based and you can work on ways to increase it.

Thats the first thing that I thought as well. I've tried putting wet towels on my fan, misting every time I go into my room, laying bowls of water all around the plants. I've gone through 2 humidifiers that couldnt raise the humidity in there anymore than 10%. I'm around 35% right now, but would like to be up closer to 70%.

I'm going to put 3 separate rooms together inside of my garage in the next few weeks. So hopefully once I get the rooms smaller I'll be able to be in better control of the humidity. I also just bumped my feeding schedule tonight to 7 times per day. So hopefully with that extra moisture it might bump my humidity up a little.

Thanks a lot for the support. Maybe I'll just hose down my entire garage and see what happens. lol. There's suppose to be some rain coming where I live in the next couple days. The last time it rained for a few days my humidity jumped to around 60%. So I'll make sure to watch my plants closer when that happens again.

Thanks again.

True, but even for flowering isnt around 50% ideal? I dont want to have crispy buds because of my dry garage. Once I get the rooms together it should be a lot easier to control. Flowering room is going to be 7 x 13 sq. ft.

I just started week 4, and I was planning on letting them go to the end of week 6 and then turn them down to 12/12. So about 2-3 more weeks. I still need to take cuttings from them.

I just got my State ID card here in California, so I'm just getting started. I'm a caregiver for my wife's uncle. So it allows me to legally grow for him. I found a few others who have cards as well, so I'm starting a Collective. It should be up and running in full swing in about 4-5 months. I'm looking to harvest 12 plants every month, so I'll have to have 60-70 plants in rotation at all times. I used to grow a while back, but in soil. I read everything I can get my hands on, so I'm starting this with a pretty solid foundations. I just have little speed bumps like this to get over. Once my rooms are together, I should have a pretty decent grip on things.

I need to get my flowering room together. Do you know where I can get that plastic thats white on one side and black on the other? Any hardware stores you might know of that carry it?

I use panda film also. When I built out my closet I lined it floor to ceiling including the floor and it has served me well.

Can't remember where I got it but I buy a lot of stuff from here:

Discount Hydroponics - Black & White Poly

I'd look around a bit and see if anyone can't beat the price. It's 10' wide.

Ideal umidity in flower is debated a lot. Personally I don't care much what the humidity is for flower. It seems to be all over the place when I flower. Sometime 55% and sometimes 30%. The more air the less humidity and it's cold here now so not much humidity in the ambient air. Plants are happy either way it seems. Leafs stay flat and shiney.

I want to grow for others when it's legal here. So I might need some tip on how to do it right when the time comes. I'd sure my wife can get a card with her Crohn's disease and being on disability anyway. That's why I started in the first place and then the ideas came.

I have an extra bedroom put aside for the purpose. 10x15' with 9' ceilings.

I've been growing tomatoes ( real ones) outside for 35 years at least. Like you priciples of growing are down and it's just a matter of learning the specifics and tweaking as needed.

I use Steath Hydro's Deep Water Culture systems. I learn to grow hydro on it and it serves me well for now. Just have 6 plants this grow but in 3 seperate res. This is my 7th grow. I use fim, supercrop and other methods to get max production. Currently growing 4 - Barney's farm fem *** and one one Sannie Jack and one Pandora's box that I have identified as female. I'm 11 days into flower. I'd like to be legal but the cops around here don't bother with you if you keep it small.

I did the same thing as you before I started growing. Soaked up all I could, did a game plan and executed it. Good luck! You have a a great start. Remeber dryness is flower usually means more trichs. That's the defense mechanism for the plant at that point. Indicas especially like it dry. It's dry where most of them grow. Sativas are from wet areas like rain forest.

I may have missed whats day/night time 18/6 20/4? It seams buy the pics the next 1 down in size is starting to have the same thing happen I think it may be to much water.
Based on your number of waterings they are submerged for 2.5 hrs a day at min. Then the time it take's to use/drain may be longer than they can take. do you have a bubbler in your rez? My point is if you know its wet all the time more water wont help. I think thos roots need more air to function. Just my 2 cents. Your off to good start pay attention like your doing it will a be good :ganjamon:

Nice. I was actually at Discount Hydro last week picking up some ferts. Its about 25 minutes from my house. I wonder why I didnt see it there. $1 per foot, doesnt sound bad at all. Its time to get out the calculator and figure out how much I need now.

I also started growing tomatoes first. I built a deep water culture system and started growing tomatoes in there. It was my practice leading up until the time the state gave me my card. But I got in a little experience growing tomatoes, strawberries and different kinds of peppers. Once I got that card and my seeds came in the mail, it was the end of the road for the tomatoes and peppers though. They got booted out into the cold, to make room for these girls. So there in soil now. They went from hydro to soil. They didnt like that much. Well the peppers didnt seem to mind much, but the tomatoes sure did. I ended up losing half of my tomatoes because of it. It was well worth it though.

I've been reading up on the FIM and Supercroping techniques. I'm definitely going to do it, but on my next batch of plants. I'll have more then, so if I snap a stem in half and cant get it back together, it wont be a big deal.

What do you think about the LST training? I see a lot of people doing that in these grow journals, but they look very skinny and weak. It doesnt look to great to me.

Well thanks for the info. I didnt know that about temps for Indicas and Sativas. Nor did I know that dryness in a flower usually means more trichs. I'm taking notes here. Thanks a lot. If you ever have any legal questions, let me know. I research it a lot and pay attention to these city counsel members and their meetings. Thanks again.

I may have missed whats day/night time 18/6 20/4? It seams buy the pics the next 1 down in size is starting to have the same thing happen I think it may be to much water.
Based on your number of waterings they are submerged for 2.5 hrs a day at min. Then the time it take's to use/drain may be longer than they can take. do you have a bubbler in your rez? My point is if you know its wet all the time more water wont help. I think thos roots need more air to function. Just my 2 cents. Your off to good start pay attention like your doing it will a be good :ganjamon:

I definitely agree with you. I thought I was giving them too much too, so I dropped it down in the beginning and thats when they started to get real bad. It wasnt until I bumped it back up to 5 times per day, 30 mins each, that they seemed to come back to life. I just bumped it up again to 7 times per day now. So we'll see what happens. And its only a dripper, not flood and drain, so there not completely submerged.

I have 2 bubblers in my res. One 12 in and one 4 in cylinder shaped stone. My water pump sits right on top of one of the air stones, so it sucks up the water that's most aerated.

So that could have been part of the issue, but since I already cut the cycle back and the plants responded negatively and then gave me a great response when I increased the cycle, I dont think its due to that.

I'm going to be moving the plants to 5 gallon buckets, filled with clay rocks, pretty soon and Im going to try and do away with as much of the rock-wool as I can. So we'll see what happens. Thanks a lot for your help. I really appreciate it.

Oh.... and Im on 18/6 light cycle. Watering stays off for the entire night cycle.

I don't think LST leads to thin plants. Quite the contrary. Plants usually responds to stress on a branch by making that branch thicker and the purpose of LST is to flatten the plant to the light. Think some people who do it, do it too early though. For me it's all about canopy management when it comes to increased yield. I look down on the plant and try to see what grow tips are getting light and which ones need a little help by moving a stem over a little and that's where supercropping comes in.

Here a YouTube on supercropping:

YouTube - Medical Marijuana Cultivation 102: Super Cropping

drop the PH to 5.5 and check their response, you should see a defenitive change in 34-36 hrs. also raise your PPM to 900. Dont try to hold the ph at 5.5....let it cycle up to 6.2 thru the week. the plants are being underfed.

PV,
What would indicate that? I see a few spots on the leaves and a slight downward droop at the leaf tips which would indicate slight overfeeding. Educate me.

the plant is eating itself to stay alive. Hes holding his PH at one number which will casue certain macros to lock. 550 ppm is VERY weak, those plants need to be fed.

drop the PH to 5.5 and check their response, you should see a defenitive change in 34-36 hrs. also raise your PPM to 900. Dont try to hold the ph at 5.5....let it cycle up to 6.2 thru the week. the plants are being underfed.

Thanks a lot. Last week I had the PPM around 1,000 and tried to maintain a PH of 5.5. This is when things got bad. My plants were burning up so I figured I was over feeding them and then I dropped the PPM to 540. They started getting better after that.

My Great White Shark seemed to like the high PPM, but the PPP, Lemon Skunk and OG didnt respond well.

You said 900, but thats almost doubling what I have in there now. Kinda scary. So to be on the safe side I'll shoot it up to 800 instead of the 700 I was planning for. What do you think? I'll also let the PH cruise up without bringing it back down how you suggested. That makes a lot of sense.

I'm headed to home depot today to get some buckets and set up my flood and drain, ebb and flow system. I should have that up and going tonight. So I'll do that flush, set the PPM at 800, PH 5.5, left to rise to 6.2 and see what happens.

I hear that big PH fluctuations arnt very good for the plants. So how would I get that PH back down? .2 - .3 a day. Or do you think that dropping from 6.2 to 5.5 at once will be okay for the plants??

PV,
What would indicate that? I see a few spots on the leaves and a slight downward droop at the leaf tips which would indicate slight overfeeding. Educate me.

Your correct. Those spots are from when I had the PPM just a little over 1,000 and I think it was way too early for that strength of nutrients. I caught it pretty quick and flushed before it got too bad, but I think I went too weak. 540 is low and I've been topping off my res every other day with about a gallon of fresh water. So my PPM is actually lower than that now.

the plant is eating itself to stay alive. Hes holding his PH at one number which will cause certain macros to lock. 550 ppm is VERY weak, those plants need to be fed.

My PH is usually either 5.7 or 5.8. I let it go up to 6.0 yesterday, to watch for changes. So I'll make sure to let it fluctuate a little from now on and not be so strict with it.

These Pure Power Plants arnt too powerful when it comes to dealing with nutrient strengths, but at the same time, I'm happy to have such a picky plant. Its letting me learn more.

So thanks a lot PV. I'm expecting some good changes to come from this in the near future.

Back
Top Bottom