Grow Box Construction

I just ordered three fans today from frozenpc and can't wait to get the ventilation done. The fans specs are:

Dimensions: 80 x 80 x 25mm
Fan Speed: 2000 RPM
Air Flow: 26.8 CFM
Noise: 21 dBA
Power: 12V, 0.12A

I am planning on using one fan for the light and two for the grow chamber. I picked these fans up for only $4 each! Both fans together will replace the air in the grow chamber 3.35 times a minute, or once every 18 seconds. Since the minimum is once every 5 minutes, this should be more than enough. The one fan in the light will replace the air at twice the rate compared to the grow chamber, or every 9 seconds.

If you're lost, this might help:
Ventilation Math

I am not too sure. That has been my biggest concern. How do I stop light leaking while maintaining unobstructed air flow? Well, the only real thought I had was to use 90 degree ABS (like PVC, but black) tubing joints at all the in/outtakes from the inside with a short straight piece attached to keep anything from protruding out of the box preventing it from making it look more obvious than it is as to what is inside the box. I have never done this before so I am not too sure. Anyone have any ideas or tricks they know of or use that will work well for this kind of situation? Hookabrothaup.

I'm not sure what you have tried, but with an intake close to the floor, and a vent cover, like the ones used in soffit venting, pointed down should eliminate light hazard. The soffit vent covers range between 2 and 4 inches, round, and the slats are like at a 45 degree angle. If your not sure what I'm thinking of, go to your local homedepot or hardware store with a roofing department. .. they'll have them. :peace:

Bagz

I have received 3 little computer fans in the mail the other day.
DSC00255.JPG

I went ahead and ordered two little squirrel cage fans because I wasn't sure how must resistance the carbon filter would add and I don't want to take any chances. UPS has come twice already but they always come in the morning and I have missed the dude both times. I plan on having the ventilation done this week as well as the lighting.

How do you wire those? I want to buy some 120mm fans for my dresser lookalike. For the light leaks you can try the filters that screw on over the fan, it would block a lot of light and keep the air dust free.

I drew up a some of my ideas in AutoCAD based on this build, 4' tall 22"x22"

Growbox.JPG

4x 2x2x8
2x 4'x8'x1/2" plywood
4x 120mm computer fans
1x 250W HPS

Runs about $80. Any ideas are welcome, sorry for posting in your thread, but it seemed related :allgood:

I want a hood but I don't want it to interfere with ventilation. I was wondering how much it would actually move inside a small space like that and if it would be easier to do what stratlogic did and set up a fixed location for the light? (I also do not want my plant stretching for light to keep it low)

Would it be too small if I did the same thing, cept, only 3 feet high? or 4? Is there some specific reason it has to be 5 feet, or you just chose that?

Is it easy to conceal the smell with something like this?

What kind of strains should I get to grow in this?

How much could I yield/how long does it take?

Thanks!

Sticky this thread! It's extremely useful and come September ill absolutely be using it for reference as I build my box :headbanger:
+Rep!

1. You can have it lower if you want to do a SCRoG, it will keep the plant to a limited hight.

2. One of these will help the smell.

3. Strain is a personal preference but for a first grow I suggest using bagseed, there is alot that is to be learned and nothing teaches like experience.

4. Depends on how long you want to veg for, generally veg for 3-4 weeks then flower time varies on strain, when trichomes are around 50% amber in color.

Hope this helps with some of your questions

Sorry I have been gone a while. A combination of working too much and dumb people that all seem to work at Home Depot and UPS hasn't helped much either. Moving on.

I have decided to go with the fixed lighting setup. That way I can isolate it from the grow chamber. This allows me to eliminate heat at the source by exhausting it elsewhere thus greatly reducing the temp in the grow chamber. As far as the plant and distance from the light, I am just going to throw some milk crates or buckets underneath. Low-tech, but effective and cheap.

Now with the lighting ventilation. I cut two holes for the fans to go into. I used a 1" hole saw drill bit in the shape of the fan and cut out the notches with a saw. There are way more efficient ways of doing this, but this worked in the middle of the night. In the end, the fans fit right into the holes. Any spaces left over will be filled in or covered up. Almost done.
DSC00308.JPG

The fans fit pretty good.
DSC00316.JPG

As far as the fans go Brett, I wired them to a universal power adapter I bought at the Depot for $12. This stepped down the voltage from the wall preventing me from blowing any more up. (I had to try it once.) Just like the movies, a pop and a cloud of smoke. Typically 15 amps comes out of the wall and the little fans only require .12 amps.
DSC00322.JPG

I just cut the tip off and spliced it to the fans using an RCA cable.
DSC00311.JPG

The RCA cables work nice because it has two conductors inside, just like the fan, keeping things neat.
DSC00312.JPG

I also attached some RCA cable to the fans to give me more length so the two fans can be connected around the back.
DSC003241.JPG

It was pretty easy to connect, just keep it consistant. I connected the red to white, and black to the shield and it worked great.
DSC00313.JPG

Then the other...
DSC00314.JPG

Then I wrapped it all up in electrical tape to keep it all secure and resistant to moisture.
DSC00315.JPG

In the end, I put the intake in the back lower corner and the exhaust in the front upper corner since heat rises, thats the best place to remove it. There will be a piece of glass separating the grow chamber and the lighting chamber.
DSC00309.JPG

I connected the two fans together, then a wire to attach the two connected fans to the power adapter.
DSC00335.JPG

A couple safety features to protect against me in case something gets pulled on for some reason.
DSC00338.JPG

DSC003391.JPG

A quick test let me know that both the fans worked when the power adapter was plugged in.
Now I know that works, time to put up the light fixtures.
It only took two screws to install the MH fixture.
DSC00317.JPG

Next was the HPS.
DSC00318.JPG

I installed the fixtures so I just need to remove the bulb when I'm not using the other. I was thinking of using both during the budding cycle because I've heard that works. We'll see how noise and heat factor in before I do that. But I like to leave myself options in case I do want to try it.
A pic from the bottom of the box looking up to the lights.
DSC00319.JPG

Next up will be the air filter and ventillation for the grow chamber.

Sweet, I will. I heard a while back about using both lights but wasn't sure. I'll definitely try it for sure. Thanks b-dizzle.

I started the air filter, check it out. I got the idea from this dude named Children of Bodom from another site just like this. (Had to give props). It's very similar to his and what a great idea for a cheap air filter using activated carbon, so I thought I would try it.

First I picked up some heavy-duty chicken wire at the Depot. $5 for 2'x5'.
DSC003251.JPG

Next I used a little math to figure out how big to cut the chicken wire. I needed a cylinder that measured 2.5" and another one 3.5" to accommodate my setup. The formula is (PIE x diameter)=length of chicken wire. It worked too.
DSC00326.JPG

Then I zip tied that biatch...
DSC00327.JPG

Tested and made sure it fit which it does.
DSC003281.JPG

Then I made the outer cylinder and tightened up the zip ties.
DSC003291.JPG

Checked them out and it looks good. Useful Tip: use a closet rod or something similar to round out the chicken wire after you zip tie it.
DSC00330.JPG

DSC00332.JPG

Wrapped them in some panty-hose to hold the activated carbon in place.
DSC00334.JPG

I am going to use two of these fans. The intake is on the side and the exhaust is the rectangular part. I am going to attach the two opposite ends of the PVC to the intakes of the squirrel fans, sucking the air through the filter and exhausting out the box. Then I am going to use dryer hose and run the two exhausts to the attic via the closet ceiling. No one will notice the holes I will have to make due to how my closet is designed.
DSC003401.JPG

I am debating if I should make two filters and use one on each fan using PVC elbow joints. Either way, I already have the supplies to easily make another.

Thats about where I'm at right now. I expect to be growing within the week. I just need to get the grow chamber fans running. I wont need the glass or filter right away. I am going to use CFL's for the first week or two to hopefully induce a female before I switch over to the 400w MH. Can't Wait!

Back
Top Bottom