Grow Box Construction

Sure StevePo. I chose 5' because it fit in my closet. I originally was going to do 4' but said fuggit, I'm goin' for it. I am not sure what the total money spent is, but I have saved all my receipts and will add them up when I'm done. Not sure about the smell, so I thought I would give that carbon filter a shot. As far as strains, couldn't tell ya, and yield and time, don't know...yet! I'm flying by the seat of my pants and hoping for the best. Not much, but I hope that helps dude.

I went to home depot and did some more shopping. I picked up some Caulk Saver to use as a spacer for the filter. It was about $5.
DSC003461.JPG

I cut off a piece big enough to wrap all the way around the bottom to hold the center screen in place.
DSC00347.JPG

It worked perfectly! Nice and snug too!
DSC003481.JPG

Then I bought some activated carbon at Petsmart for $20.
DSC00350.JPG

I ended up only using a third of the carbon and filled most of the filter up leaving room for more spacers and the PVC joint.
DSC00349.JPG

Then I capped it off and almost done.
DSC00352.JPG

DSC00353.JPG

DSC00354.JPG

All I need now is to duct tape it to seal the ends and force the air through the middle to ensure it passes through the carbon.
DSC00355.JPG

Done!
DSC00356.JPG

Here's what I had in mind as far as attaching the fans to the PVC.
DSC00357.JPG

I wanted to mount it along the side of the box to keep it low profile and prevent it from blocking the lights in any way
DSC00358.JPG

I cant remember the dude's name but I am pretty sure it was on this site that had the way for a cheap way of using CFL's on a power strip. Great idea. If anyone knows the mystery dude's name let me know. He deserves some props. Even though I have a 400w MH and 400w HPS, I am going to use the CFL's for the first week or two to try to induce a female. I learned this from a chick on this site or one similar I believe and don't know her name either. But it sounds like she had it figured out. I hope it works for me too!
Heres the setup.
A power strip - $3
Adapters - $2 each
CFL's - $7 for two
DSC00359.JPG

In the end, I will have two of these:
DSC00360.JPG

If anyone has any suggestions on the CFL's and this setup, help a brotha out. This is what I am the most unsure of. The lights are 100w each. At work so I dont know any other specs on them.

I cant remember the dude's name but I am pretty sure it was on this site that had the way for a cheap way of using CFL's on a power strip. Great idea. If anyone knows the mystery dude's name let me know. He deserves some props.

Sound like your refering to Stoner4Life. . . hes good peeps!
Great job on the filter. ..

Bagz :peace:

You guys rock, thanks! I'll be sure to pick up the right bulbs for vegging. Any recommendations on how many would be good to use. I originally planned on using 6 bulbs.

As far as the adapters, I picked them up at Home Depot (or "Hydro Depot" seems more appropriate) in the aisle with all the lighting accessories and switches. I found them for about $2 but if Stoner4Life found them for a buck at Wal-Mart, you might want to try there.

I installed the squirrel fans today and it worked out pretty good for the most part. First I cut the holes for the squirrel exhausts to fit into snuggly. The first hole is cut, and this one will be used as a reference for the next.
DSC00362.JPG

The second hole was a little tricky. I had to hold the filter and fan together to find the right position, remove the filter and trace the exhaust, but it worked out in the end.
DSC00363.JPG

I decided to run the wires out the same holes to keep thing neat inside.
DSC00364.JPG

To reduce the stress on the squirrel fans, I made this sling with zip ties to support the opposite end.
DSC00370.JPG

A close up of the sling in action.
DSC00366.JPG

I just need to seal the PVC and the squirrel fans to make them air tight and its done as far as mounting them goes. I ended up mounting the squirrel fans too close together but it was an easy fix. I just sanded the PVC until it fit the way I wanted it too. It looks like it could use just a little more sanding after looking at the picture. I am also going to screw a piece of wood underneath the lower squirrel fan for a little extra needed support.
DSC00367.JPG

I just need to wire the squirrel fans and order the glass to seperate the two chambers and its DONE! I plan on drilling a few 1" holes in the base since the box is on casters, its elevated, so the incoming air will come up from under the plant. I figure the lower I can intake the fresh air, the cooler it will be. Not sure how much it will help, but it couldn't hurt right?
So close to being done, I am stoked!
DSC00368.JPG

StevePo - I sure am hoping that filter does the job. I have this box in my closet and if it doesn't work, all my clothes are going to reek BAD. Luckily I work in a recording studio and clients are always smokin but still. I hope it works! haha

And to keep the box as airtight as possible, I duct taped all the edges so all air passing through will have to enter/exit through the intakes and outtakes only. Being able to have complete control over the growing environment is what indoor growing is all about after all.
DSC00365.JPG

Back
Top Bottom