Growing using ziplock gallon bags

Poly mailer bags work. You can pick up 100 for $9. I'm currently reusing the same sack my soil came in as a roughly 7 gal grow bag. I ran out of growbags and got creative. I also have bags from dog and cat food. They are durable and do well. Any bag works but it needs to block light and of course you add holes.
IMG-20200719-150037427-HDR-copy-600x800.jpg

If you can grow in those see through bags then roots not liking light is a myth.
Makes me wonder what exactly is the science behind roots and light. ????? I'm off like fungus gnat to find the answer...maybe gonna take a minute.

And the survey says:

Soil Roots and Darkness
When roots naturally grow below the soil surface, nearby light signals they are headed the wrong way. Like stems, roots contain growth-directing hormones known as auxins, which tell them which way to grow. In the same way that upper growth on plants bends toward well-lit windows, roots naturally grow away from light. They seek darkness and protective moisture instead. In transparent pots, these roots avoid light-penetrated areas of soil. Forced into high-light areas, light-sensitive roots recoil and slow or stop growth. When light dries soil out, tender root tips can suffer.

And the survey says:

Soil Roots and Darkness
When roots naturally grow below the soil surface, nearby light signals they are headed the wrong way. Like stems, roots contain growth-directing hormones known as auxins, which tell them which way to grow. In the same way that upper growth on plants bends toward well-lit windows, roots naturally grow away from light. They seek darkness and protective moisture instead. In transparent pots, these roots avoid light-penetrated areas of soil. Forced into high-light areas, light-sensitive roots recoil and slow or stop growth. When light dries soil out, tender root tips can suffer.
So it sounds like anything clear to grow in should be avoided. Makes sense to me.

I've started plants in clear plastic containers. The roots reached the sides and just started growing along the sides. The main problem is you eventually get algae growth along the sides where the light hits the soil. The light might slow the roots down, but it doesn't stop them. Still, slowing root growth down is a bad thing, and to be avoided.
I just tried looking for pics, but they're all of the plants, not the pots. I've got some milkweed in them right now, and they're doing all right. Of course milkweed and weed are two different things.

I've started plants in clear plastic containers. The roots reached the sides and just started growing along the sides. The main problem is you eventually get algae growth along the sides where the light hits the soil. The light might slow the roots down, but it doesn't stop them. Still, slowing root growth down is a bad thing, and to be avoided.
I just tried looking for pics, but they're all of the plants, not the pots. I've got some milkweed in them right now, and they're doing all right. Of course milkweed and weed are two different things.
I had to google milk weed that is a pretty flower

Ya everyone great points! Didn’t even think about how the Roots won’t like the light but at the same time I think I will more thank likely transplant them out of there earlier before they get a chance to burn through all the soil nd actually be seen through the bag. I’m a curious woman, and I’m intrigued by the unusual
. Imean in all honesty what am I loosing out on? And as for why why would I do that to my poor baby ?? I like the survivors, only the strong survive ;) As far as drainage goes, he only did a couple holes and I questioned him on how well that would do but im giving it time to change my mind before I put some more.

I would love the company along this adventure, so of course join in! Whether your in the backseat just along for the ride, or riding passenger participating along with me. I love running into other creative thinking, open minded individuals, gives me hope knowing that we’re not completely extinct. :snowboating:

Unfortunately I sill can’t post a thread in the grow journal yet, says insufficient credit so I I say loop hole. And will be posting

I had to google milk weed that is a pretty flower
You spiked my curiosity so yeah I had to do the same. They are attractive plants.
I grow them for my sister. Milkweed is the only thing monarch butterfly caterpillars can eat. Since people across North America rip it out of their gardens and yards it's making a bad situation worse for the monarchs. It's kind of weird that now we know not to kill it some ornamental varieties have started to become available. And the areas they've started making for wildflowers and native plants to repopulate don't hurt.
The swamp milkweed is the kind the butterflies prefer, and it's better looking than the common stuff, so that's what we planted.

Here of something. Right now she -Gorilla Glue- is in the bag, was put in yesterday. Was working on her 5 or 6 node before we did that so she is recovering and hopefully will be boucing back soon. I also worry about how the roots will handle in there because of the humidity nd heat I deal with where I’m at which is why I questioned his drainage but I’m going to give it a chance, i have soil to replace, hydrogen peroxide/water solution to clear up any root rot,, and Dakine 420 bio mineral, used to help with shock and others. I’ll be ready to catch it fix her up and Put her back up n the regular pot. I’m not a big fan of fabric pots or atleast not the ones ive tried,, feel like it doesn’t drain as well/ fast or maybe it’s just the brand I have lol. Right now I have my unknown strain in it. Dealt with white mold couple times cuz of heat and humidity. Fox farms ocean forest mix with perlite, and a couple other things as my soil and Fox farms grow for nutrients
Get R Done:Namaste::snowboating::ganjamon:

Here of something. Right now she -Gorilla Glue- is in the bag, was put in yesterday. Was working on her 5 or 6 node before we did that so she is recovering and hopefully will be boucing back soon. I also worry about how the roots will handle in there because of the humidity nd heat I deal with where I’m at which is why I questioned his drainage but I’m going to give it a chance, i have soil to replace, hydrogen peroxide/water solution to clear up any root rot,, and Dakine 420 bio mineral, used to help with shock and others. I’ll be ready to catch it fix her up and Put her back up n the regular pot. I’m not a big fan of fabric pots or atleast not the ones ive tried,, feel like it doesn’t drain as well/ fast or maybe it’s just the brand I have lol. Right now I have my unknown strain in it. Dealt with white mold couple times cuz of heat and humidity. Fox farms ocean forest mix with perlite, and a couple other things as my soil and Fox farms grow for nutrients
Get R Done:Namaste::snowboating::ganjamon:
So your doing it. Cool I'm in for the ride. Prove them scientists wrong. I like it. :popcorn:

Yep. Taken when I put them out around May15, which was a tad too early. Also with the bags, if they seem too wet at times simply squish the soil gently to get some air in there. I copied @Lembatoast
that was one thing I was worried about because when I went to go look at them today it did seem like the soil was a little to wet still so i put some holes in the soil to help with air. Do you grow yours full in the bags? The friend that showed me this only puts his in their for their second transplant and then goes back to pots. Also what happened to your plant when it went back into veg cycle ? Did it hurt it at all ? change any aspects of the grow? the reason I'm asking is because my very first plant was trying to bloom way to early to where the hairs had started to turn colors to a brown but I'm only now giving it the grow nutrients to get it back on track but i don't know if it would hurt it in the long run.

Back
Top Bottom