H0bbyGr0wer89 - Soil - White Widow - 2016

Figured I would send 2 more pics without the LED screwing with the color. You can see in the full plant picture that the stems have some purple and the very top leafs are taco'd. Otherwise... looks pretty healthy. I backed off the light a bit; seems to be helping with the tacoing.

She is currently coming to the end of week one and entering week 2 of flowering.

My current environment is:

Temp: 75 degrees (Light Cycle) and 70 degrees (Dark Cycle)
Humidity: 55-60% RH

I have my charcoal filter on nearly full-blast. I might need to invest in a dehumidifier to get my humidity down to around 40-50% since I am assuming that 60% is likely to start some mold? Also, she will probably perspire even more as the gets bigger, making it even more humid...

20160119_143207.jpg
20160119_142854-1.jpg

Didn't notice the tacoing until you pointed it out, the overall plant is very healthy looking. What's your light height at now?

She'll be transpiring like mad after she gets going into flower, we've been shocked by how much each of our first grow girls are using.

Mars Hydro recommended 12-18*" from the top (LED doesn't put out much heat).

She grew over the weekend and ended up at 10" - I just backed it off to 14" again.

How are you compensating for the humidity? do you have a dehumidifier?

Mars Hydro recommended 12-14" from the top (LED doesn't put out much heat).

She grew over the weekend and ended up at 10" - I just backed it off to 14" again.

I've got two Mars II 900s in a 4x4, we worked hard to keep them under 8" by mid flowering, but since then I've had tops as close as 2" without any real issue other than absolutely no mixing of the led spectrums. This has inspired me to go fix that tonight. Thanks HG.

How are you compensating for the humidity? do you have a dehumidifier?

Canadian in January, so I'm fighting the opposite side of the humidity equation. I did grab a dehumidifier though before Christmas, but I can now say with confidence we won't need it until spring or summer.

I received the following information from Mars Hydro:

(Some of the information seems a bit off - like up to 85 degrees fahrenheit?)

First:

Recommended light above plants for seeding,growth and flowering time:
Germination-------------24-30inches
Vegetable -- --------18-24 inches
Flower------12-18 inches

Second:
Recommended Lighting Time:
Vegetative Stage: 18-20 hours on,4-6hours off; Flowering Stage: 12 hours on,12hours off. Veg: 18/6 or 20/4; Flower: 12/12

Third:
You know, this is our new series of lights with both growth and bloom switches.
On growth stage, turn on growth switch.
On flowering stage, turn both switches on.

Finally:
Recommended Growing Conditions:
The rate of photosynthesis and transpiration are directly affected by temperature, humidity and airflow. Even though plants grow in many extreme environments, they thrive when given the perfect
growing conditions. The perfect temperature and humidity for your plants are found between 75°-85°F and 50% - 70% humidity, with plenty of airflow to replenish CO2.

Sorry for the multiple updates, guys!

After looking back at Mars Hydro recommendations (they have amazing customer service), I backed my lights off to 18" and increased my grow room temperature to a range of 78 degrees - 82 degrees.

I am now thinking that the plant was tacoing and a little stressed (purple stems) because it was too cold - something I didn't think was an issue before. Also, as Artee mentioned... the 18 inches would allow for more mixing of the spectrums.

I think I'm good to go now - will update you if I notice improvements. Also... let me know if I am wrong with any of this! :)

420's own Richard Richardson has an answer for the 85 degrees here. It's one of the few things with growing Cannabis that people still debate, everything else from germinating to harvesting are completely locked in with only one right answer.

:)

There's a video kicking around about it posted since I joined. Myself and a few others increased our temps and at least for ourselves we haven't seen any big issues. I can't say for sure it's helped any since it's our first grow.

If anybody can find the video again, I'd love to bookmark it.

Crap - my breaker was just thrown and lights / heating went our for about 30 minutes, up to one hour.

Luckily, my remote temp sensor showed 70 degrees and higher RH, which made me go out to my garage and check on everything. Its back up and running now. I dont think it will hurt anything...

Alright, guys - I have another update.

I have a habit of overthinking things and might have done this here, but I gave her some attention today after inspecting her. I've done nothin' more than water/feed her for about 2-3 weeks now and so I got to thinkin' after noticing a few things.

What did I notice?
First, I noticed the verrryyyy tips looking a little white.... no big deal. Then, I noticed that one leaf curling, which made me look harder and I saw about 2 more. Also, all of the curled/wilty leafs were smaller leafs on the inside of the plant that were pretty much blocked from most of the light. Last, but not least... quite a few of my stems are purple, all of which are purple on top, but green on bottom. I have heard that LEDs can cause this, that it is common with some strains, and/or that it could actually be an issue (Stress / phosphorous) - I wasnt that worried about it, but worth mentioning.

My thoughts?
After thinking back about how I have been watering/feeding... I have been PHing my water to 5.8 lately and I almost always add nutes. Thinking about this... I'm sure my actual soil PH could be getting a bit acidic (wilty leaves), as well as nutrient buildup (white/bleached tips). The leafs that looked the worse seemed to be the ones directly under large water leafs.

My Actions?
Ok, so - I PH'd my water to 6.5 and I flushed her with about 6-8 liters of just water. The runoff came out bright neon orange, so I think that might have been a good call? Next, I (against my better judgement) plucked four medium/large water leaves (from the main stem) that were blocking most of the light to the lower part of the plant where the majority of my buds are developing. Lastly, I trained some of the lower branches out once again to open her up a bit. She has been through a lot today... but I am traveling for 3-4 days starting today and I couldn't do it in bits to stress her less.

The results
It has only been about 1 hour since I have done all of this, but I know she will be a little bit stressed from it. The top half looks totally fine. Towards the bottom, the smaller leafs on the inside near the main stem are definitely wilting - could be stress, could be over-watering from the flush, it could be both. Overall she is actually handling all of the attention better than I expected.

Here are some pics of the buds before I messed with her, followed by an "After" picture.

PS: she is currently only coming up to about 2 weeks into budding

20160121_141734.jpg
20160121_141702.jpg

20160121_155603-1.jpg

She looks great. My girls always droop a bit after watering. When in your light cycle are you watering? Come back a half hour before their light is coming back on and they'll be back to praying for that light I'm sure.

What, if any, training plans do you have?

I just water randomly - is there a best time to water?

As for training - I dont have much of a plan. I have just been pulling branches out horizontally from the main stem and basically "lollipopping" in a way...

I might get a scrog :thumb:

I just water randomly - is there a best time to water?

Consensus seems to be their morning is the best time, so that soon after you water then start transpiring again. If you water right before lights off they sit for 12 hours with wet feet and very little to cause them to transpire.

My veg tent runs 24/0, so there is no better time and honestly in our flowering tent (currently running the last of our first grow's autoflowers) it's currently at 18/6 and we water a couple hours before they go to sleep. We've had a lot of trouble figuring out where exactly we want the dark/light cycles to fit in with our schedules. Too many choices.

As for training - I dont have much of a plan. I have just been pulling branches out horizontally from the main stem and basically "lollipopping" in a way...

I might get a scrog :thumb:

Gotchya. I think you might be a bit late to think about scrogging this one. She's very tall already. I look at the middle picture of the three you posted and I just want to reach through the screen and supercrop that stalk. The lowest (widest) branches are getting probably something like a 1/16 the light the top is.

Just my inexperienced $.02. We let two go completely untrained in our first grow and they turned out just fine.

Almost 3 weeks into flowering hmmmmmm? I'll stick around. This is the best part of the journal!

Oh, and I'd be careful about deciding to implement any regimes like pinching at this stage. She looks good and has her own light. Let her ride the way she is :bongrip:

V:bongrip:

Back
Top Bottom