Hello 420 fam

Herblife89

G'day guys:) im from Western Australia and will be starting my first grow in a few short weeks (once ive acquired my seeds and the rest of my setup).i kinda got swindled into a 1×1×2m/600w hps setup by my local hydro shop who didn't seem to know as much as i thought they would.anyhow after spending a lot of my spare time researching how to do this right I've been reading hps is not so good for veg stage.so was thinking of going with a 450w led for the veg stage and using the led for flowering..can anybody tell me what size led i can use in that size tent to grow the seedlings for the first couple of weeks till they reach the veg stage?
Thanks in advance:)

Sent from my SM-G935F using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I've been reading hps is not so good for veg stage

Hi Herblife89 and welcome.

HPS is not the only HID. There's also MH and Agro (dual-spectrum). I would recommend Agro because it combines both spectrums and the results are fantastic. You can also use MH vor veg and HPS for flowering.

Check out my grow in my sig and see the explosive growth under Agro lamps. I would recommend Sunmaster if available in your area. Tried them all and Sunmaster really outshines them all :)

LED's are getting better every day, but HID's are still the golden standard for indoor grows.

Best.

I already have the hps...will do some more research on these agros...can you send me a link to your journal?

welcome aboard herblife!!

wow what a world we live in these days eh?

with the power of the web, right here in this thread we have 3 people from 3 totally different parts of the world, able to help each other out. fantastic!!!

so, 1mx1m eh? 600w hps sounds good.

you can certainly veg with hps. i have tried it, on my chunky cheese reveg in my sig. however, you may want to save the hps bulb for bloom, and just buy an mh bulb for veg, assuming that is you have a ballast that will drive both. please be sure first. don't learn by doing that one. read.

i love mh/hps lights. i run 1k though. i recently bought an lec 315 cmh light to use for the lower power draw, then won a mars hydro 1200w mars II led, so not much time spent with cmh yet, but i do like it. still not sure about the led yet.

any other questions feel free to ask, everyone is pretty darned friendly round here, and more than happy to help get folks on their feet.

oh, and,
have fun eh

I already have the hps...will do some more research on these agros...can you send me a link to your journal?

look at the bottom of his post you will see his "signature" Journal in progress: Amnesia Haze RDWC 2x400W dual spectrum ScrOG click that.

mine are at the bottom of my posts.

Hello unforgiven yes this site is wonderful:) they were trying to sell me the cmh you speak of but i didn't have 800 bux to spend just on a light..why are you not sure about the led? From what I've seen leds seem to be more popular these days and ive seen some awesome results.what wattage led would be best when the seedling has first sprouted and been potted?

they were trying to sell me the cmh you speak of

CMH stands for Ceramic Metal Halide and they cost more. They have better efficiency and run with lower temps than "regular" MH.

From what I've seen leds seem to be more popular these days

So are CD's, but vinyl still has better, more pleasing dynamic range :)

Btw, dual-spectrum is also the most cost-effective option because you don't need to buy MH and HPS separately. You get both for the price of one.

Yea i get that i just didn't have that kinda budget..fair call. looking at your grow journal you seem to know what you're talking about so i wont argue with you:)

More power the better.using ur 600hps for veg will give u fast strong growing plants.and same for bloom.u have all u need to get started.ul get great results.how i started growing with a 600hps in a tent smaller than yours lol.i monster plants they became;) happy growing every1;)

I'm a bit late to the discussion but I agree. The HID, it's the way to go, if you can control heat and light distance adequately.

If your still considering LEDs is have a look at mars hydro. They have a thread on this site where you can get specific answers to your questions regarding size and wattage.

Welcome to the community Herblife!!! Representing Canada... Stinky Snid says, High
:ciao:

KiG :green_heart:cheers

see, now that was kinda my point. there is absolutely nothing wrong with that 600. i started with a heavy hot 1k magnetic ballast, lol.

no tent, so i did essentially a shower curtain of panda film hanging from a circle of pex tubing with a sharkbite union. vertical bulb, fan shooting straight up from under the bulb. 1k bulb 2 inches from the plants with no burning, lol. a decorative wall thermo for temps. 8 deep chunkolate plants that grew over 6 feet tall. awesome.

those were the days. K.I.S.S.

have fun eh

More power the better.using ur 600hps for veg will give u fast strong growing plants.and same for bloom.u have all u need to get started.ul get great results.how i started growing with a 600hps in a tent smaller than yours lol.i monster plants they became;) happy growing every1;)

as to the led, i'm just not "sold" on it yet. i have seen much better growth with my 1k on my light mover than i so far have seen with my 1200 w led.

and the cmh, is awesome, the timing just happened that i won POTM and got a free led right after buying it. so that's why i say it's untested in my tent. it only had a week or so run time.

have fun eh

Back
Top Bottom