How do I prune to increase production?

So don't cut the fan leaves? ok what if there blocking buds,how do I go about pruning so they can get more light?please help asap!!

twine, just gently pull them to other areas with light string.

i learned on this grow which was my first that it was best to top most of the branches and not the top and i yielded way more then somebody that didn't top the branches.this is just my opinion on my experience.

For those who are more visual learners; or if you would just like to see a really good tut on topping and fimming, here is a link that I think will answer any questions about both.
Mods... if this link isn't cool then please feel free to edit!

FIM

Roger that HeadMed, I've been the same way. God knows I've found enough ways to kill these poor plants without a pair of shears in my hand just mindlessly clipping away.
Thanks S.Moose, I follow now that you would clip this one photo'd, then move up to next tier and snip the one 90 degrees out from this and continue to tip top. Wait for week or so to recover from snippings, and go around again on those skipped this time.
I also found out how FIM was named as thats exactly what I said 1.5 weeks ago on another little starter. In fact I'm going to photo tomorrow and ask S.Moose whether to leave the strange leafs which grew from that OOPs or cut them off for more normal leaf growth. Strange mutant shape sticking out the top of my plant man! Thanks guys!

like hanging:thumb: christmas lights

really helpful guys - thankk you

fim top 4 days before trans and clean up suckers from the bottom. cone plus 3 nodes is all that should be left: 4 days later place into 12/12AND RUNS YOUR TRANS CYCLE, HEAVY TOP SIDE NUGS, AND NO WISPY BUDS,

Im on my first grow ever and I topped my plant trying to use the FIM technique. I just used my nail to do it and i did it after the second node appeared. I have no idea if i got extra shoots. I didnt even seem to get a second one from the exact spot where i topped it. Each of my plants have 8 Flower lookin tops reaching for the light tho. I dunno if thats just normal or if I caused so many. I assumed its just normal since there all around the plant and not coming off where i topped it. *shrugs*

Hi mate, how are you?? Sorry for butting in..But i need some help with my LST.. Ive been told to not trim any fan leaves, but mine are squashing among themselves and sweating.. Also some light isnt getting thru to the branch heads coming up? Is it fine to trim lightly over her Veg LST?? Only one or two here n there, i always trim near where leaf start on the stalk, and they heal fast...
Any ideas you may have or tips on my current grow GREATLY APPRECIATED!! Cheers, SMOKEMUP;) :thumb:
Here's a pic atm:
2012-07-27_12_27_42.jpg

Hey smoke....i'm no expert by any means but I can tell you that with my current WW...I lst'd the crap out of her and I had the same issue. I trimmed leaves here and there about every week or so until flower with no ill effects. Now I just try to tuck things away from the 8-10 Colas and let me tell you my friend...she is producing just fine ;)

i have 3 months veg.. ive opened up the top by trimming one fan and its better for it now as there is space and my main cola is growing in right direction now:) i dont wanna trim her much, only if i feel its needed. I may have to tie dow some branches coming thru the top to try send Auxins more to the main cola.. THANK YOU GUYS>> STILL ANYONE WITH A FEW LST S UNDER THEIR BELT- PLEASE COMMENT!!! Cheers, Smokemup;)

i agree, i often remove leaves to open the plant up to more light, if fan leaves are blocking light getting to other nodes then i remove the leaves that are in the way,

outdoors plants lose leaves all the time, insects,animals,weather etc etc all make plants lose leaves, so the plants just replace whats lost if its needed, so removing some leaves causes very few issues,

their is always the argument to defol or not to defol, im on the fence as ive tried both methods and both work well, bassmans journal is the best for the defol method and i mean he strips his plants bare in veg and again in flower and he always gets huge buds, so their is good arguments for both sides of this problem,

its not a problem losing the odd leaf here or their, but if you remove many in one go then it takes time to recover but removing leaves each day also takes time to recover, so i find its best to remove leaves in one day instead of a couple one day and couple the next day, but if you need to get light into the plant then removing leaves and lst is the only real option,

any leaves touching each other will sweat, the same happens with buds, this can cause pm issues and attract bugs as mould forms, so any leaves touching each other need sorting out, if one leaf is resting on top of another then a few hours later you split them up and you will see their drenched where they was touching, so this will cause issues in a humid indoor environment, outdoors it dont happen as the plant is getting plenty of breeze so always moving, indoors we cant always do this so removing leaves stops any pm issues,

I start by pruning a leaf from each node in a staircase pattern, as soon as the first 5 bladed leaf appears. This will stimulate lateral growth and open the plant to more light.

I top around the 4-5 node, using the FIM technique, leaving about 20% of the growth tip intact. Topping will create at least 2 new budding sites, and with proper use of the FIM technique I have had as many as 5, and have heard of as many as 8. Topping will allow bottom branches time to grow and catch up, making them closer to the lights.

With proper training and manipulation, you can get these giant plants to grow horizontal, effectivly reducing the overall height of your garden as much as 50%. This way you can lower the lights as close as possible to all budding sites. With many budding sites very close to the light, you will get a better yeild of grade "A" bud. As opposed to having smaller shaded buds trapped under an untrained canopy, which will never fully develop.
This is a critical kush I'm growing right now that I fimmed. Got 6 tops from it. Hopefully it's not a male.
IMG_20210225_081918.jpg

Smokin’ Moose put up a bunch of these tutorials when he was around and most of them are just as useful now as they were then, so they keep getting bumped.

Back
Top Bottom