Hyena's Never-Ending Adventures In Growing

Brilliant harvest Hyena. I'm down for the next grow. Gonna learn a lot of new tricks. Really well done 酪

That's great my friend! You are very kind.

I sure don't know everything, as I am about to discuss in my final analysis of Project 24. Mistakes are nothing to fear. But if we are observant, we can avoid repeating mistakes, and as we go forward put what we have learned into practice and always try to improve.

Fortunately, cannabis is perhaps the most forgiving plant you could ever grow. We're so lucky. If mushrooms were this easy we would all be tripping every day.

Peace, Hyena

FINAL REPORT: PROJECT 24

This grow was comprised mainly of a Blue Dream back cross, plus Push Berry and Cheese Berry (Indica-dominant), plus my White Hyena (White Widow x Blue Dream). There were 12 plants total.

Main goal:

I wanted to try techniques for maximizing density, to see how dense it is possible to get, and perhaps determine how dense is too dense.

My experiments included:

-Extended vegetation period. Added three extra weeks to allow for maximum growth.

-Aggressive and extended scrogging. Intended to significantly increase the number of vertical branches, and bud sites.

-Systematic and regular defoliation. Intended to let more light hit more branches and bud sites, and penetrate deeper into the canopy.

I derived a nice body of information from this grow...some things I tried worked out amazingly well, some did not, and some unexpected consequences of those things that did work well created other things that didn't...ahhh, science! It's the quest to understand things, yet it is most enjoyable when it shows you things you don't expect!

I find every answer creates two new questions...

First, the verdict:

Extended Vegetation Period: Thumbs down.

It simply wasn't necessary. I wanted to see how long and serpentine I could get the branches and it worked, but that created density that ended up being counterproductive to overall yield and bud size. I had maybe 150 branches all fighting for the same roughly 1,000 watts of light. The limited space I have defeated the purpose.

Extended Scrogging: Thumbs Up!

I proved I could scrog until there was no space anywhere and that's good experience. Because the glut of branches was too thick to really allow the development of good, fat colas, there aren't dozens of prizewinners in this grow, but the technique still worked as it should. Even though average cola size was down, the extra-high number of branches still added up to a decent amount, so it didn't crush the grow or anything. So the extended scrogging was a success.

-Systematic and Regular Defoliation: Thumbs Down.

I don't think the plants benefited from it. Here's why I think that.

The cannabis plant is so resilient it's hard to determine if a technique stimulates it to grow faster/better, or if the stuff is just that good at recovering from whatever we do to it. So it is hard to determine the exact value of defoliating and the exact difference it is making. The results of experiments I did where I only pulled one leaf, but not the opposing one, were one key. I did this in many places and got the same result everywhere...the branch without the fan leaf grew faster and longer than the branch that still had its leaf. There were other things I did but rather than go into too much detail I'll just say in my opinion the defoliation stimulates branches to grow longer, with greater space between nodes. Much greater.

This in my view is one key reason I had such a lot of internodal space throughout the grow, with the plants emphasizing too much branch development instead of maximum bud development. I got lots and lots of widely-spaced, smaller buds. Even the top colas were longer and more slender, the result of the internodal distances being longer. The control branches on each plant, where I deliberately did not remove the key fan leaves, produced branches with shorter distance between nodes, and resulted in better, thicker colas with better density and weight.

Because I have grown this same plant several times consecutively, my observations of these variations in development are reliable. I am convinced defoliation was a net negative for both bud density and overall yield.

In addition to those three things, we proved once again that cannabis grows under bright lights if you water it. :thumb:

And it's stinky-licious! And gets you high!

So now, let's see the final totals please!!

The four varieties all were good performers without any issues, and yielded good buds across the board.

The total weight per plant was reduced everywhere by the factors of too much density, and defoliation stress. But still quite acceptable!

The Blue Dream is always my mother of all buds. Probably the best overall variety yet developed. These six grew well and didn't disappoint, they produced very nicely.

The total bud weight dry and jarred was 13 1/2 zips.

Mellow and fragrant smoke, lots of nice frostiness in the buds, it's a great overall buzz too...not too much body stone, actually just enough to allow you to do whatever your very-stoned head thinks up. BD is a great anytime weed, doesn't make you ravenous and you don't stumble around. I got almost a pound and it certainly could have been much more. But we learned stuff.

The Plush Berry is an exotic Indica. My two plants were two slightly different phenos, one producing orange-haired buds and the other, smaller plant producing RED buds, the first time I've actually ever seen that! Mostly on the smaller down-in-the-middle stuff, those were like little strawberries they were so red.

I got 3 1/2 zips in all of very beautiful, well-developed buds.

The fragrant herb produces a very strong Indica buzz all the way...it makes you want to hit the nearest couch and speed-dial Dominos. I'm not a great fan of dopey dope, I've opined about how wonderful that lilting sativa high can be but we need wacky weed too, that's what fast food and TV was made for. I know what I will reach for when I want to veg. And eat.

The Cheese Berry is basically the same, without the multicolored buds.

Got 4 zips from the Cheese. Nice buds, good nugs, frosty.

The similarities were flavor (delicious and earthy with a hint of fruit) and buzz (I'm so high oh shit let's hit Taco Bell) so both varieties are exactly as advertised. Nice to have a supply of the real body meds now, for those days when my poor hurt foot is really barking. That's why I grow...to have strong pain meds. Mission accomplished.

Finally, my newest little creation: White Hyena! She didn't disappoint! She's going to be a real favorite you mark my words!!

It yielded 4 nice frosty zips of deliciously fragrant buds.

With it's White Widow x BD lineage, the White Hyena has a bite. Hits you hard and fast, vicious buzz with a major head emphasis. I wanted to really test it so I smoked half a joint and got so high I was too high for brief time and dat don't happen to me very often! I was so high, my teeth were high. They screamed out. When your teeth are screaming you are HIGH. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I am planning to make White Hyena my third seed offering, sometime next year. I know that's like talking about the third Star Wars movie before you make the first one but that worked for George Lucas, right? Remember the name.

20170429_165753.jpg

So, the final results: 25 zips of the finest quality cannabis buds. Success, I think. :high-five:

I am absolutely certain my defoliating and overcrowding cost me at least 10 zips or more but the KNOWLEDGE is worth many times that! Getting your grow space dialed in is the key to a lifetime of perfect productivity and I believe we moved forward with that. And I won't be out of stash for awhile. :love::tokin:

Oh, by the way I also got 5 one-gallon bags of popcorn buds and sugar trim...

20170429_091214.jpg

This stuff is basically 90% as good as the nugs in the jars, so I guess we will have cannabutter until the end of mankind.

That wraps up PROJECT 24. Hope you enjoyed it, a collection of rambling nonsensities from the demented mind of a mad amateur scientist...along with some growing tips. A bargain for the price.

Now it will be all about PROJECT 25, the Blue Hyena seed grow. A new adventure and who knows how it will work out!

So, stick around. Let's have some laughs and learn more together, shall we? Did I already say that? I'm really high right now...

Peace, Hyena

LIGHT TEST: Twilight LED Co. GS1000

The fine folks at TWILIGHT LED, a 420 MAG sponsor, have generously provided a GS1000 LED light for me to test.

Upon initial inspection, the light seems very solid and surprisingly heavy. It has individual lenses for all the LED's...interesting.

20170430_130659.jpg

The unit has two settings, VEG and BLOOM, selectable individually and together.

20170430_130716.jpg

I have replaced my 400W HID fixture with the GS1000. The light produces a nice bright footprint. The lens/reflector system maximizes the usable light and focuses it.

20170430_132941.jpg

The new girls are all in place and showing only the slightest wear and tear from the rather bumpy move. The GS1000 will now demonstrate its ability to replace the 400W HID that it has replaced. I set it on VEG and lowered it to within 18 inches of the girls. It has three nice internal fans, seems to run pretty cool.

20170430_132926.jpg

I will periodically update my evaluation as part of the PROJECT 25 HYENA SEED GROW.

THANK YOU to TWILIGHT LED CO. for the opportunity to demonstrate their lighting technology. Let's see how well it works!

Peace, Hyena

Replacing 400w with 400w, good idea.. should see an increase this way..

Hey H.M.,
Great harvest, and report. You certainly have your process down to a science. So business-like with methods. Great job. Can't wait to see what comes next, lol.

Just want you to know I have started 5 blue and 5 black hyena. Only one blue didn't germinate. I will start a journal tomorrow. Not procrastinating, just had surgery yesterday. Back on my feet today, just quite sore. But, I will start the journal tomorrow, with pics, and will drop you a link. Just wanted you to know.

Hey H.M.,
Great harvest, and report. You certainly have your process down to a science. So business-like with methods. Great job. Can't wait to see what comes next, lol.

Just want you to know I have started 5 blue and 5 black hyena. Only one blue didn't germinate. I will start a journal tomorrow. Not procrastinating, just had surgery yesterday. Back on my feet today, just quite sore. But, I will start the journal tomorrow, with pics, and will drop you a link. Just wanted you to know.

That's great news!

I look forward to what you can do with them!

Get well soon, bro.

Peace, Hyena

Happy Friday! Hope your weather is better than mine, it's rather cold and raining outside, but not enough to rain on my parade!

This day marks 8 weeks since the splash! Here's how we look...

20170505_105149.jpg

Everything is set. All the girls have taken to the new digs with minimal negatives, really only the expected slight fan leaf discoloration on the edges of the biggest few from having roots ripped up a little plus the stress to the roots of transplantation from 100% liquid to rock-based grow medium. Ouch! But you judge the health of plants in veg by the health of the newer growth, and all that is a-ok.

I have only pulled a handful of main fan leaves because they are simply so huge they are obstructing too much of the plant. At this point I prefer to leave as many on as possible because now I'm fairly sure pulling too many of them makes the branches stretchy.

20170505_104724.jpg

These little Hyenas all look like they want to go to the next step. It's almost time for the flip! Already!

I am going for seeds thus I want them to have longer branches anyway, so I'm not quite there but I think I will flip them within a week.

I finished some updates to the watering system and the air system, including putting in a brand-new carbon filter. All room exhaust goes through this one filter and this one is three times the size of my old one.

Refilled all water reservoirs.

20170505_102155.jpg

I always have a full reservoir worth of fresh water on hand. While waiting to be used it just dechlorinates and helps keep the humidity reasonable. I usually refill every week or so.

The TWILIGHT GS1000 GROWSTAR LED light is performing like a champ!

First, it runs remarkably cool for a true 400W lamp...three powerful cooling fans help but what I feel with my hand from the exhaust ports isn't hot at all so it isn't adding as much heat to the room as the 400W HID it replaced, even though the HID was in a closed, vented hood and the GS1000 is ambient. Meanwhile, my other main light, a 600W HID, has to be vented continuously. Score one for the TWILIGHT.

20170505_103942.jpg

The light has small individual lenses which they claim focus the LED's for greater intensity.

20170505_105121.jpg

However, this results in a noticeably smaller footprint than other non-lens-type LEDs. I don't think that's a negative since the light intensity within the primary footprint is brighter than I am used to seeing from an LED, easily as bright as the HID. Either way, if they truly are focusing the individual LEDs more narrowly, then you can simply raise the GS1000 a few inches higher to achieve a wider footprint and the light intensity should still be the same at plant level.

I have my light at about 18 inches from the tops and they seem to be lit up very well. I also have both GROW and BLOOM LEDs on, they can be run independently but with everything on the light absolutely blazes. I think more light is better. I might cut it back to just the BLOOM lights a couple weeks into flowering.

So, in every way the TWILIGHT GS1000 GROWSTAR LED light seems to be a great piece of equipment. I have it positioned in such a way that two identical plants can be actively compared, one on the GS1000 side and the other on the HID side. I have also adjusted the HID (600W) a little higher than the GROWSTAR (400W) to balance their lumens at the plant level. This makes it a fair comparison because we will now be testing the difference in plant response to the type of light, not the intensity.

Thumbs up so far!

In the nursery, I don't know what I am going to do because I still have four autos and a White Hyena that I was planning to transplant outdoors but since the autos are already flowering and the weather where I live has been totally crappy for almost a week, I might just leave one of the bubblers on and just finish them all in here. The lighting schedule won't matter since I can keep the light separate from the main room and to be honest I really don't like outdoor weed anymore. Bug shit and mold spores and bird poop and spider webs, I truly don't miss smoking all those things. I have come to like pure indoor grow lab buds upon which I can't detect any impurities even with a microscope...guess I'm getting picky, eh? :laughtwo:

One is a little cola already, it's soooo cute!

20170505_103700.jpg

So that's the update on Project 25.

By the way, have I ever posted a picture of myself? Allow me to do so. I have a beard I'm very proud of...

20170505_110827_c.jpg

Until next time.

Peace, Hyena

Hey H.M.

Very interesting picture of you. Ingenius creatvity. What about those fan leaves already!!

Congratulations on the GS1000. Hopefully, will produce even more grams/watt. Is that even possible?

I basically dropped by to deliver the link to my journal. I'm still having a little trouble with the journal thing, but here it is.

Happy Tuesday!

Project 25 is almost ready to transition into the crucial phase: the seed grow. Here's how everyone looks:

20170508_090804.jpg

These Hyenas are growing like weeds. Everyone seems healthy and happy, not the slightest discoloration in the primary growth so the nute mix is validated.

These are the six plants that will produce the seeds.

20170508_090753.jpg
20170508_090744.jpg

All six Blue Hyenas are solid and strong. There might be two phenos (based solely on size) as two are a bit more compact than the other four but I don't really know, there might just be a variance in their growth rate due to the crowded conditions their first month in the nursery. Going into this grow I was apprehensive that an obviously crappy pheno could emerge and throw a genetic curve ball into the whole project, because then I couldn't create a clean, productive seed line but happily that isn't the case. The difference between the largest and smallest of these six isn't significant enough to be a negative...all are great plants and would please any grower.

At any rate, I believe the most robust plant should be the one that provides the pollen, giving the best chance for big, strong plants in the next generation. Then I plan to fertilize the other 5 Blue Hyenas with that pollen to create 5 seed mothers. I am no geneticist but I'm guessing if the strong and tall trait is a dominant one it will pass through to the next generation whether the seed mother is taller or more compact. Then even if it turns out there are two phenos they will both be robust and satisfy the expectations of the grower.

I was dealing with a major smell issue the last month as Project 24 finished. I had a smallish carbon filter that was worn out. I replaced it with a mega-carbon-filter that weighs almost 30 pounds. Smell shouldn't be an issue for awhile.

20170505_103109.jpg

Next I'm figuring out how to integrate this nice AC unit.

20170505_103226.jpg

Hopefully it will operate automatically and I can set it to simply keep the grow room under 85 degrees F. Hopefully it will be fairly quiet. Hopefully it works, I only plugged it in and tried it once last year when I bought it.

So I'm just waiting a bit longer to flip them. I really don't care how they look in the end I just want to maximize the seeds produced so I'm a little unsure exactly how long to wait. Especially since they will probably double during the stretch. But we don't really know. I want to scrog this some but I also like the idea of having clearly separate plants since I think I will be placing dry cleaner bags around these individually to help control the exposure to pollination, enhance pollen saturation, and retain the pollen. So I am going to go with traditionally-shaped plants and work with about ten branches per plant.

That's where we are.

I will post the TWILIGHT GS1000 GROWSTAR LED light update separately.

Peace, Hyena

TWILIGHT GS1000 GROWSTAR LED UPDATE

The TWILIGHT GS1000 GROWSTAR LED light is performing flawlessly!

It runs very cool, and produces very bright light.

There is no difference, so far, between the growth under the GROWSTAR GS1000 and the growth under the 400W HID light it replaced. The plants all show healthy and strong development with no negative issues whatsoever.

20170508_090813.jpg

Growth is actually comparable to the 600W HID fixture adjacent to the GROWSTAR GS1000!

The quality of the light seems to be exactly what the plants need. Plant growth and health confirms the GROWSTAR GS1000 actually has the rich spectrum the manufacturer TWILIGHT claims. Healthy plants don't lie!

GROWTH PHASE TEST REPORT: Growth phase performance is rated impressive.

-The GROWSTAR GS1000 is able to support vigorous plant growth equivalent to a much higher-powered HID light, while running cooler and using less electricity.

-The GROWSTAR GS1000 also performs better than older LED models for total light output per watt.

-The focusing lenses create a richer light intensity at the plant level, using the total light produced more efficiently.

We rate the GROWSTAR GS1000 Excellent for growth phase applications.

Next, we will be switching to flowering phase. During flowering we will compare and evaluate the performance of the GROWSTAR GS1000 for stimulating flower growth and bud density.

So far so good!

Peace, Hyena

Is 400w the actual wattage consumption on this Light?

Cheers!

Yes! And it is delivering a lot of light. Easily as good, within 3 feet, as the 400W HID it replaced.

Whether it will have the same canopy penetration as the HID is the question. We will see as they grow and we have to raise the light!

Peace, Hyena

Yes! And it is delivering a lot of light. Easily as good, within 3 feet, as the 400W HID it replaced.

Whether it will have the same canopy penetration as the HID is the question. We will see as they grow and we have to raise the light!

Peace, Hyena

PAR or lumens available at canopy?

Back
Top Bottom