Icemud's Organic SCROG! Grow 3.0

Today is day 41 of flowering. I took a look around the tent today and inspected for PM, and the spray must have worked, because I hardly see any pm at all, but I know the fight is not over yet. I turned off my fans for a good 45 minutes this afternoon as well as gave some water to my CO2 sheets, shook my fermenation jugs and let the temperature climb. I let it get up to 96F in there for a good 1/2 hour and then turned on my fans and let the tent cool back to normal. This is another attempt in controlling and stopping the PM. I also took a florecent fishing flashlight and replaced the florecent bulb with an air cleaner UV-C bulb. When working with UV-C bulbs, be extremely careful to wear polorized and UV protectant glasses, as well as cover up your bear skin as much as possible, UV-C is the worst kind of light for causing cancer and pretty much destroy's DNA on site... so if working with these bulbs, never look directly at the light... yes this is the same radiation that our sun puts out that causes skin problems so be careful. UV-C is used in germicidal lamps and is supposed to kill spores, molds, dusts and other things that are microscopic so I decided to use this light to give a good scan over the tent... I have read this is a good way of helping cleanse your grow area but only for a short time because UV-C is harmful to plants as well if in long term exposure... the UV-B is what were looking for for trichome production :) I made sure to give each area I could get to a good 5-10 second scan with the light and tried to cover every angle of every bud... making sure to get as close as possible with the bulb... Hopefully this helps!!!

DSC053461.JPG

Well here are the photo's today..... Overall they look pretty good for now...

The sour bubble is really starting to pack on the trichomes...all still clear under the 30x lupe...

the blackberry kush is already showing about a 1/2 cloudy on the trichomes, however, I thought this plant was supposed to purple so I am going to take her to around 1/3 amber before flushing with 1/4 nutrients and molasses. This plant smells absolutely incredible and just an accidental brushing of the buds a ton of fragerence is realeased... smells of some exotic fruit... amazing!

The silverback og's are back to fattening up and all of the amber pistols I burnt with the foliar have now turned white again and she is continuing to pack on the trichomes, definitely not as frosty as I would have though for an OG, but I know she still has a while to go...Some of the tallest and heaviest cola's are starting to fall over slightly, so I will be hanging a screen above soon and supercropping the branches, with a looped rope for support... :)

The Platinum Bubba's I am worried about... they look really really good and are rock hard nugs, very very dense and heavy and look healthy, but the PM won't leave them alone. I hope after my last foliar soaking that things will remain ok but we will see. Even if I had to pull the 2 plants now, I probably would have around a qp of good unmoldy nugs... :) not too bad.. But we will wait and see..

The holy grail is chugging along, she is such a hearty plant that I am hoping that she can fend off the PM and continue to thrive, most of the nugs were not infected so we will see how this one goes.

Here are today's photo's.

DSC053371.JPG

DSC053382.JPG

DSC053391.JPG

DSC053401.JPG

Silverback OG
DSC053423.JPG

Platinum Bubba
DSC053432.JPG

Sour Bubble
DSC053441.JPG

Holy Grail OG
DSC053451.JPG

Blackberry Kush
DSC053413.JPG

This is a tough thing... have you considered pulling some of each early? I know I hate to do it as what I need is produced in the later stages but ... damn!

I have definitely considered it, when I first discovered the really bad outbreak on the back platinum bubba, I almost removed it then and there, but so far the foliar spray with the garlic and baking soda seems to be working on not only washing it off, but preventing it from coming back quickly... if it does get worse though, yeah I probably will start harvesting some of the worst off plants, but so far the fight is not over, I will win!!! :) lol

A sulpher burner! Great idea. And stop spraying anything on your plants! I know from reading all the HiBrix material I can find here that spraying seems to be a big part of it. I am not greatly experienced with the method and have only just started cooking my first trial soil to try this fall but I have a lot of experience with PM and various molds. I just do not spray anything on my plants after the end of stretch. Maybe a hormone spray or at the most (and rarely) Maxicrop liquid seaweed at the end of stretch tending to use the teas for everything needed. I especially would not spray any version of my diluted teas on my buds or leaves after the end of stretch because I do not want to feed any mold or fungi! I have run many grows without ever having sprayed anything on my plants from cuttings to finish and this seems to have reduced my budrot and mildew problems by 99%. Awesome grow loaded with information, I just read it all start to this point this morning.

Thanks Dr Redwhite for some very good info and experience that you shared with me. I think a lot of the PM issue is my environment, I live very near the beach in Socal, so every night the marine layer comes in and really gets the RH up, and I don't have a dehumidifier to dry things up. Another thing that I think promoted the PM is there are roses outside my apartment that are covered in PM and so I think the spores may easily have entered my grow area because my tent does not have a hepa filter on the intake...(my mistake this grow) I think that is probably the main reasons that this pm battle has really been uphill, but I definitely do agree that foliar spraying past stretch is bad...

main reasons I have been foliar spraying past stretch is only with things to treat the pm... I know definitely next grow, I will be filtering my air intake, I will be adding a more powerful circulation fan in the tent, I will be getting a dehumidifier, and I am going to scrub everything in my tent with bleachwater before starting... operation room clean :)

I have definitely considered it, when I first discovered the really bad outbreak on the back platinum bubba, I almost removed it then and there, but so far the foliar spray with the garlic and baking soda seems to be working on not only washing it off, but preventing it from coming back quickly... if it does get worse though, yeah I probably will start harvesting some of the worst off plants, but so far the fight is not over, I will win!!! :) lol

well done ice your winning the battle.looks soo good. i would have been freaking out if i seen pm but you stayed cool you deserve to reap the rewards.girls are looking great..:goodjob:

I will say Ice that you are ingenius! UV-C light, I never thought of this or heard of it before. Extremely educational thread. I had such bad PM problems I went vertical so I could put a fan in the center of my plants and thinking the plants being one layer deep would help. Seems it did. I also defoliated some. I don't filter my incoming air but my exhaust fan keeps it pretty turbulant in there and it is on all the time. My hope was/is that a lot of in and out airflow would cut down on the PM but I can't use Co2 either, sort of a catch 22. And yes I also have roses with PM. Huge conflict with other half if they disapeared.

Buds are looking nice! Where did you get the UV-B lights from?

It's a UV-C bulb, which is different that UV-B.... I got it from a local store for my air purifier.

Ice can you also figure out a way to mount your UV-C light in your intake permanently to kill it on the way in?

UV-C is harmful to plants if applied for more than just a few minutes so it really wouldn't be useful to mount it, I actually get more coverage of the canopy by being able to move it around to get all angles.... good idea though :)

What if you have an inline fan blowing fresh air into the grow space & you mount the light on the part of the fan that's pulling the air in? You would be killing the germs before they are suck through the fan into the grow spacekind of like scanning in before entering a door.

That's kind of what I mean. Don't hit the plants with it at all, just make a little sealed "scrub box" inline with your intake fan. I dunno, just an idea.

Good Idea's for the intake UV light, I think that I am going to get some Hepa filters for next grow and make sure the air sucked in is filtered. I also plan on getting a good air purifier for the room with UV-C, ionizer and hepa filtration to help trap and kill any spores that may be lurking around my room.

I may be looking into this also I would honestly cry if some nasty germs go to my babies.

Yeah it really sucks when things are going soo good, looking healthy as ever, and then BOOM, PM!! I am pretty frustrated over this grow and almost want to just rip it all out and start over...

Yea that's how I felt when I had gnats & used neem oil then my plants weren't looking too good. But hang in there cuz the plants I have that weren't looking too good now are just a few weeks from flowering.

Hey Everyone, Thank you so much for all the kind thoughts, compliments, suggestions and overall help on my grow. Being that this is still only my 3rd grow ever, I am still learning a ton and I very much appreciate 420 Magazine and all of the awesome memebers here! Thank you everyone!

So Today is day 43 of flowering, and so far it seems that my garlic/milk/cinnamon/water/baking soda spray has worked to keep the PM away, I do still notice it popping up here and there, but no where near as bad as when I discovered it again a week or 2 ago..

I gave the girls just strait 0ppm water today, from my R/O filter, no additives or anything. I feel that my soil may have too high of an EC value or too much calcium, ( I topdressed 4x with calcium carbonate over the grow period, plus added into the soil when I re-potted so I think the yellowing of the silverback og has a lot to do with that) Only time will tell...

I also noticed that tomorrow I will have to give the girls another defoliation, mostly to clean up the dead leaves and small brushy material below the scrog screen. This should help keep away the pm and allow for even better airflow through the tent. Humidity has been a little high again at nights and even during the day so I have been trying my best to keep it around 50% but its very hard to do without a de-humidifier....(will have one next grow, as well as air purifier, filters on my intake)

So far I am pretty impressed with the whole grow, even though discouraged. In veg I had such high hopes with how healthy things were looking and now I kind of sigh to myself and say, oh well...lessons learned :)

I took some photos as normal today, but then through in a special treat for everyone... I don't have a usb microscope, so I took my digital camera, my 30x lupe, and took some nug close ups of all the buds...

Enjoy!!!!

Full Tent Views
DSC053471.JPG

Holy Grail OG
DSC05356.JPG

DSC05357.JPG

DSC05374.JPG

DSC053601.JPG

Silverback OG
DSC053502.JPG

DSC053512.JPG

DSC053521.JPG

DSC053611.JPG

DSC05366.JPG

Platinum Bubba
DSC053531.JPG

DSC053541.JPG

DSC053701.JPG

Sour Bubble

DSC053552.JPG

DSC053711.JPG

DSC053721.JPG

Blackberry Kush
DSC053492.JPG

DSC05358.JPG

DSC053591.JPG

DSC05365.JPG

Looking great so far. PM is one of the many problems that we have to deal with (spider mites, PM and budrot the worst) and it seems you are keeping it under control. Beautiful photos. They seem futher along than 43 days of flower.

Back
Top Bottom