Icemud Holy Grail OG - Kali Kandi - SoCalDam OG - XJ-13 - Organic - Soil - Smartpots

Re: Icemud Holy Grail OG - Kali Kandi - SoCalDam OG - XJ-13 - Organic - Soil - Smartp

My good sir, that's a lot of weight per plant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to try some LST action on my next grow for sure. I think it's safe to say that your journals make a very good case for LST being THE WAY to grow. Good work! I'm excited to see the dry weights of each plant.

Thank you very much Cplus!! your ladies are looking mighty fine as well!! I definitely recommend LST, even before I started training the scrog, each plant had nearly 20 tops due to heavy LST from a week after clone and on. LST Rocks!!!

When the journal is all said and done, I will post a re-cap of the total weights, as well as all costs inquired within this grow, and also do a GPW and Gram per KwHour calculations...

Re: Icemud Holy Grail OG - Kali Kandi - SoCalDam OG - XJ-13 - Organic - Soil - Smartp

hey icemud! big fan of your journals
just read the both of them!

i actually am using the same type of pot for my mother plants right now
now i was wondering if you could assist me since i am new to soil and this pot.

i use a 5 gallon
how much water should the plants get from the earliest stages to development ( i tend to only keep them as mothers for the time being)
i use FloraNova one part- grow and superthrive

i am trying to come up with a proper understanding on how to feed thru soil
especially with it benig 5gallon pots.
also, how do you test the run off of these pots? i must not put enough water for any to run out.. but am worried of overwatering :helpsmilie:

much is appreciated!
thanks!

I really appreciate the kind words SpiriTHC!!!

I will try to answer your watering questions as best as I can, and other's feel free to chime in as well :) I have never kept mother plants but as far as watering I can answer that for the general grow...

First off...when your pot is completely dry...(a good 6-8 days from last watering) pick up your pot and take notice of how heavy the pot feels dry...Next time you water, pick up your pot and feel it again...much heavier because its full of water as well..... now you can use this method to judge when your plants need watering.... this is one method...

A second method of when to water is by using a soil moisture probe... you can pick one up at the local hardware store/garden store probably for about 10$, they usually come as 2 or 3 way meters, with ph and some with light meters...the ph meter and light meters are crap and I wouldnt trust them...but the moisture guages seem to be pretty decent at telling me when its time to water...prob not the best method, but gives a decent idea...

A third way of knowing when to water is by watching the plant...when the plant needs water, it loses water pressure within its branches and they will tend to become limp and hang downward...your plant will start to sag and leaves will hang downward instead of standing strong like normal. You don't want to wait until your leaves are sagging because you are slightly stunting the plant (or you might to stress it for extra THC production, but thats another topic) But if you see this sign, then you know its time to water...

I have the #3 smartpots which are about the size of a regular 5 gallon plastic pot.... this is kind of how my watering breaks down thru my grow..I am going to estimate the amounts of water, but for general purpose you will get the ideas...

6 plants in #3 smartpots...

clone transplant first week, watered first day of transplant, about 2-3 cups of water per plant...with clones you want the soil moist, but don't want to overwater, because you want the roots to spread out in search of moisture. Ever few days the 1st week of transplant I would just make sure the rockwool cubes were wet, but otherwise very little water.

Week 1-3 of veg

adding 2.5gallons of water between the 6 pots, so 3/4 a gallon of water to each pot. I usually start adding nutrients around week 1 in very low amounts (about 1/4 doses) and start ramping up the dosages more each week. Week 2 is 1/2 dose, week 3 is 3/4 dose, and week 4 and on is full doses of nutrients. Now I grow Organic, so it is different than with synthetic fertz and the way synthetic's are applied may be different.

Week 4-8veg
Full nutrient doses...

Would definitely recommend around week 6 giving your girls a good flush to eliminate salt build up in the soil. Both grows of mine so far I did not do this, and ended up locking up my plants pretty bad, so I definitely would recommend giving a good flush and following up with a good nutrient feeding..

By this time in the cycle, you should have a large rootbase and the plants should be sucking up water much more than before. At this point you probably are going to be using double the water as your early veg. Nutrients at this time should be full strenght. Generally toward's the end of veg you want to start ramping down your N feedings slightly. Plants need N thru flowering, but not nearly like they do in veg, so cutting your N to half or even 1/4 your last week of veg may help prep you for some tasty flowers...

At this point of the cycle I was using 4-5 gallons per feeding, spread between the 6 pots...so about 1 gallons per pot... and I was feeding them about every 4-6 days..

Early flowering..

At this time in the cycle, my ladies were in stretch and really sucking up water fast... Pretty much from this point on I was feeding 5 gallons to the 6 pots or about 1 gallon per pot about every 4 days... Nutrients at this point were full strength, minus the N which I was adding in about 1/4 strength of veg...

Late flowering/ripening/last few weeks...

generally at this time the watering hasn't slowed down, and I am still using the 5 gallons of water per feeding, every 4 days or so. What changed is I have started ramping down all nutrients to virtually none to start letting the plant's use up whats in the soil as well as burn up what is stored away. This has been noted to provide a smoother and cleaner smoke in the end product..

As far as your feedings...you should definitely water each time until you see about a 10% runoff, this will help you know that your soil has been fully saturated. Also, If you leave about 1" from the soil to the top of your pots, when watering you can fill up your pots all the way to the top, and as the water sinks in, you know your whole pot got wet...fill it up this way a few times, Usually I make rounds in my garden...filling each one up in a circular motion and then coming back to the starting point and watering around again, until my nutrients are used up...this gives the water plenty of time to soak in...

When you testing your run-off its pretty easy..... measure your solution/water PH before adding it to the soil...Lets say its at 6.5PH.. Water your plants and when a good amount of run off water appears in your drip trays, stick your PH meter in the runoff and check it... Lets say your run off measures 5.8PH...then you know that your soil is mildly acidic and you need to adjust your soil PH by either flushing, or additives...to bring it back up.

Hope this helps...

Ice, don't always count on that 50/50 amber trichs rule. I've had SEVERAL strains that were MUCH better when the trichs were clear/cloudy than amber. I see this alot it strains originating from equatorial areas.... Food for thought....Tester buds with a overnight dry can tell you more than any scoping of the trichs anyday...

If you don't mind me asking, were any of them kushes? lol I can't believe how long this Holy Grail is taking... sucks that I can't find any info on the genectics or lineage to help me know what others are experiencing. I think I am going to pull them within the next week. Have to check the weather to make sure there will be no dry spells that week....hoping for a good 50% humidity when drying :)

Definitely love the tester buds :) I use binder clips and hand the buds on my wall heater for a couple hours...seems to dry them up pretty nicely and gives a good indication of the taste, and high... great advice though!!

So what are your thoughts when it shoots out white pistols, after calyx's have swelled, and first batch of hairs have receded...? is this normal? or is it in its last ditch efforts to polinate before she starts spitting beans?

Thanks for the advice GT!!! I am pretty sure that the Holy grails will be getting harvested this week...I am going to leave the small's on for a few more weeks to see what happens...theres sooo many smalls on this strain...tons...like a whole canopy under the canopy...so hopefully I can thicken them up with a lil more light, and less focus on the tops..

MAN!!!!your not kidden when u say your screen is just a layer of bud now.. you can put a midget to sleep with that kind of padding..

your grow turned out so nice, i knew once i saw your setup a few months back i really wanted to watch this one unfold. and its been fun watchin your plants get bigger and bigger now its almost time to chop that holy grail finally! im happy for you. congrats on the first chop, cant wait for the next one

MAN!!!!your not kidden when u say your screen is just a layer of bud now.. you can put a midget to sleep with that kind of padding..

your grow turned out so nice, i knew once i saw your setup a few months back i really wanted to watch this one unfold. and its been fun watchin your plants get bigger and bigger now its almost time to chop that holy grail finally! im happy for you. congrats on the first chop, cant wait for the next one

Thanks for the compliment's Chiefin!! much appreciated! I decided today to pull down one of my holy grail og's, she looked as if she was starting to produce some seeds so I decided I didn't want to wait any longer and gave her a yank!! Would have done both, but I've been trimming all day and decided a break was well needed, so the other will come down after my drying closet becomes available again. :)

Another One bites the dust....or the chopping scissors..lol

Day 99 of flowering....Well after much debate and waiting for the Holy Grails to show amber trichomes, I decided to chop the 1st one today. The reason, she started to show what looked like seed pods on some of the lower budsites. I know that this may have been due to stress, but also due to the long flowering time, so either way, it was time for her to come down....

My OG101 was done drying so all morning I spent manicuring her and putting her into jars for curing...man..what a b!tch she was to trim...all of the dead sugar leafs had to come off...so what should have been a 1 or 2 hour job took 4 hours, but now they are trimmed so well that there there looking more like a connoisseur's trim than just a standard one.. :) I also jarred up my Kali Kandi nugs that also have dried, and on to curing they go... I will get some dry weight totals after about a week of curing, so the numbers will be more accurate... :)

So after I finished the OG101, the 1st Holy grail got chopped... I originally was going to only take the largest and most mature cola's, but after seeing what could be some beans, decided to yank the whole plant... I gave her a rough trim, removing all of the fan leaves and a majority of the tips of the sugar leafs, however, once dry, I will give her a more proper and careful manicure before she gets the jar....wow my fingers are sticky and after scraping my trimming scissors, I managed to get a good chunk of finger hash to relax to in a little while.. :) I am absolutely amazed by how good of a yield I got, off just 1 plant....

Here is the total's

1 of my HolyGrail OG's (front middle one)
wet weight:
648.3grams wet!!!!!! off of just 1 plant!!!

I will shoot some better close up photo's tomorrow, my regular camera ran out of batteries so had to use my cell phone cam, its an 8mp, but the flash sucks...so I will have some better, more clear pics up tommorrow.

Here are the photo's of the Holy Grail OG chop...
IMG_20120217_151328.jpg
IMG_20120217_151336.jpg
IMG_20120217_151343.jpg
IMG_20120217_151351.jpg
IMG_20120217_151400.jpg
IMG_20120217_151407.jpg
IMG_20120217_151415.jpg
IMG_20120217_151422.jpg
IMG_20120217_151431.jpg
IMG_20120217_151436.jpg
IMG_20120217_151446.jpg
IMG_20120217_151818.jpg
IMG_20120217_151826.jpg
IMG_20120217_165403.jpg
IMG_20120217_165412.jpg
IMG_20120217_165420.jpg
IMG_20120217_165428.jpg
IMG_20120217_165436.jpg

Very nice harvest, congrats! Will these be for personal use or dispensary?

I've read somewhere that hygrozyme can cause delay finishing time if use after 4th week in bloom.

Re: Another One bites the dust....or the chopping scissors..lol

Day 99 of flowering....Well after much debate and waiting for the Holy Grails to show amber trichomes, I decided to chop the 1st one today. The reason, she started to show what looked like seed pods on some of the lower budsites. I know that this may have been due to stress, but also due to the long flowering time, so either way, it was time for her to come down....

My OG101 was done drying so all morning I spent manicuring her and putting her into jars for curing...man..what a b!tch she was to trim...all of the dead sugar leafs had to come off...so what should have been a 1 or 2 hour job took 4 hours, but now they are trimmed so well that there there looking more like a connoisseur's trim than just a standard one.. :) I also jarred up my Kali Kandi nugs that also have dried, and on to curing they go... I will get some dry weight totals after about a week of curing, so the numbers will be more accurate... :)

So after I finished the OG101, the 1st Holy grail got chopped... I originally was going to only take the largest and most mature cola's, but after seeing what could be some beans, decided to yank the whole plant... I gave her a rough trim, removing all of the fan leaves and a majority of the tips of the sugar leafs, however, once dry, I will give her a more proper and careful manicure before she gets the jar....wow my fingers are sticky and after scraping my trimming scissors, I managed to get a good chunk of finger hash to relax to in a little while.. :) I am absolutely amazed by how good of a yield I got, off just 1 plant....

Here is the total's

1 of my HolyGrail OG's (front middle one)
wet weight:
648.3grams wet!!!!!! off of just 1 plant!!!

I will shoot some better close up photo's tomorrow, my regular camera ran out of batteries so had to use my cell phone cam, its an 8mp, but the flash sucks...so I will have some better, more clear pics up tommorrow.

Here are the photo's of the Holy Grail OG chop...
IMG_20120217_151328.jpg
IMG_20120217_151336.jpg
IMG_20120217_151343.jpg
IMG_20120217_151351.jpg
IMG_20120217_151400.jpg
IMG_20120217_151407.jpg
IMG_20120217_151415.jpg
IMG_20120217_151422.jpg
IMG_20120217_151431.jpg
IMG_20120217_151436.jpg
IMG_20120217_151446.jpg
IMG_20120217_151818.jpg
IMG_20120217_151826.jpg
IMG_20120217_165403.jpg
IMG_20120217_165412.jpg
IMG_20120217_165420.jpg
IMG_20120217_165428.jpg
IMG_20120217_165436.jpg
love the pics iceman!and grow!!

If you don't mind me asking, were any of them kushes? lol I can't believe how long this Holy Grail is taking... sucks that I can't find any info on the genectics or lineage to help me know what others are experiencing. I think I am going to pull them within the next week. Have to check the weather to make sure there will be no dry spells that week....hoping for a good 50% humidity when drying :)
As a matter of fact, I believe that some had Kush heritage, but most were strong Sativa's and Hybrid's, tropical ones.
Definitely love the tester buds :) I use binder clips and hand the buds on my wall heater for a couple hours...seems to dry them up pretty nicely and gives a good indication of the taste, and high... great advice though!!
Me too!! But I normally lay them on top of my light reflector on a napkin or paperbag.
So what are your thoughts when it shoots out white pistols, after calyx's have swelled, and first batch of hairs have receded...? is this normal? or is it in its last ditch efforts to polinate before she starts spitting beans?
Some strains in my experience seem to never stop spittin' out pistils, til they start to die, and by then it's too late.
Thanks for the advice GT!!! I am pretty sure that the Holy grails will be getting harvested this week...I am going to leave the small's on for a few more weeks to see what happens...theres sooo many smalls on this strain...tons...like a whole canopy under the canopy...so hopefully I can thicken them up with a lil more light, and less focus on the tops..
Sometimes the lower buds mature slower, because there isn't as much light to super speed the photosynthesis process and feed the buds. Many people overlook light as the MOST important factor of the grow environment, and feed their plants a list of stuff as long as my arm. KISS + attention to your plants = Success!

Very nice harvest, congrats! Will these be for personal use or dispensary?

I've read somewhere that hygrozyme can cause delay finishing time if use after 4th week in bloom.

Thanks on the compliments Twelve12!!! I will probably get some to local dispensaries/delivery services and the rest will be personal and shared with friends...

Sometimes the lower buds mature slower, because there isn't as much light to super speed the photosynthesis process and feed the buds. Many people overlook light as the MOST important factor of the grow environment, and feed their plants a list of stuff as long as my arm. KISS + attention to your plants = Success!

Thanks for your replies GT! I very much agree with you about the environment, and especially lighting....my buddie laughs at me for how much care and concern i put into lighting, and spectrums, but he can't produce bud like I can, so I guess the laugh is just his comfort mechanism...lol.. I'm learning so much here at 420, and much appreciate the advice!

Day 100 flowering...

Well the last remaining Holy Grail is still growing strong as she awaits her turn on the chopping block. I checked the freshly jarred kali kandi and OG101 and decided to remove the og101 from jars, being that its just too wet still, and so I dumped her into a paper bag to help her dry more before jarring. My holy grail og's should be at least another 2 days of drying before getting manicured and jarred, maybe more since the humidity has been about 50% lately...perfect for drying!!!

I also found out more details of the og101 and holy grail og.... OG101 is a 10 year old cut of true og!!! and Holy Grail OG is believed to be a OG x Master kush cross!!

Here are some photo's I took today of my remaining holy grail og, and my og101

Full tent views
DSC041781.JPG
DSC041791.JPG
DSC04180.JPG
DSC04182.JPG

Holy Grail OG close ups
DSC041841.JPG
DSC041861.JPG
DSC04190.JPG

My brown bag lunch...lol... OG101
DSC041921.JPG

Freshly pulled and curing Kali Kandi
DSC041951.JPG

Kali Kandi with around a month cure
DSC04197.JPG

Outstanding work ice, been a fun journal to follow and learn from. congrats on your harvest and looking foward to see what you will do next...:goodjob: :bravo: :adore:

Today is day 104 of flowering...Today, my last remaining plant, the Holy Grail OG is recieving her last light, as she enters a 48hr period of darkness before harvest. I chopped the remaining small bud's off of my OG101 and she has been hanging for 2 days.

I trimmed up my 1st plant of Holy Grail OG, and she is now in a jar curing, along with my small's from my Kali Kandi and OG101.

The OG101 is freaking amazing, I can really tell that she is a pure kush cut by the smell and taste....almost like vicks vapor rub smell and taste!!!

My Holy Grail OG also I gave a taste and wow!!! definitely a Master Kush x OG cross...she stinks soo much that I have had to burn incense for the last week while she was drying....The high off her is incredible..after just a day of curing, she already put me on my ass with just a small bowl toke.. :)

I will snap some photo's when I harvest the last Holy Grail OG...

I will also post all totals of harvest weight's after everything has dried and calculate my cost, gpw and other totals...

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to making this grow a success...stay tuned for the final photos, results and for grow 3.0... :)

This has been a great grow to watch. I have learned alot here. Congrats on a successful grow and harvest.

Hey everyone!!! Thanks for the positive compliments and comments!!! Sorry its been a few day's since I've been on, my computer crashed and spent the last 3 days re-installing everything, thankful that it all was backed up and nothing critical was lost!! :) Anyhow, I have some more of the weight total's but will repost a total summary after the 2nd holy grail is done drying and has had a good week of curing.

Here are the dry weight totals of my 2nd OG101 and 1st Holy Grail OG, as well as the secondary harvest of my Kali Kandi

OG101 (1 plant)
Dry weight
approx 85g dry....

Holy Grail OG (1 plant)
121.6g or 4.3oz dry

Kali Kandi 2nd harvest (smalls)
35.1g

I will add up the grand totals in about a week...also have some photo's of the 2nd Holy Grail OG harvest as well to post... cheers!

Here are the photo's from a few day's ago of my last Holy Grail OG harvest as well as some curing/drying shots...

Holy Grail OG harvest (2nd plant)
DSC042041.JPG
DSC042052.JPG
DSC04206.JPG
DSC042071.JPG
DSC042081.JPG
DSC042092.JPG
DSC042101.JPG

Holy Grail OG drying (plant 1)
DSC042111.JPG
DSC042122.JPG

Holy Grail OG drying (plant 2)
DSC042132.JPG

DSC04214.JPG
DSC042151.JPG

That is one beautiful harvest. THe buds look just scrumpcious! Reps to ya for a fine grow!

Back
Top Bottom