I'm a 1st time grower from Hampton Roads VA in need of help!

s1m1

420 Member
Hey everybody, I’m a first time grower - long time smoker. I really don’t know what I”m doing. I’ve got two 10 day old seedlings. One seems to be growing slowly (only 2 inches), and the other has stretched about 6 inches. I started the first two without a light; then I got a light, and today I’ve received a cheap LED Grow light from Amazon. I set it up approximately 36 inches from the plants. I will bring it closer, as the grow. But my question is about nutrients. What do I need next? Any “BRAND NAME” products suggested, will help. I live in Virginia. I’m gonna grow everything outside, and I only have about 3 - 4 months left before winter. So PLEASE, someone tell me what I need to make this work. I had 15 seeds; and have lost 8, probably due to watering. But I’m learning. So any help you provide will really be appreciated. Also one other thing. Based on my 1st pic, do you think I can save it? I plan to transplant it deeply into a 5 gallon cloth pot? HELP PLEASE!

C68C9305-095A-4C94-89D9-4644C3AAE7F4.jpeg

0C2ACCBD-F9E3-4B17-8A59-97A02060BD67.jpeg

D6E475B5-42D0-41BB-B43A-D92BD6EB3FEF.jpeg

AD18DB29-4BE5-478B-8023-DB798C0194DF.jpeg

Greetings, @s1m1 ! :welcome: to :420:

We'll need a bit more information from you about your grow to help you dial it in like what kind of medium are you using, are you trying to grow organically or really don't care, what your water is like, etc.

But to answer your first questions, those seedlings are very leggy which means they are stretching for light. A stronger light closer to the plants is called for. When you up-pot them you'll be able to bury some of the stem to help correct that issue.

There are some great nutrient companies that are sponsors and many of our members have had very impressive results using them so check then out.

Your mix looks pretty dense at first glance so maybe you can tell us what's in it for starters.

We can get you sorted and before long you'll be filling some jars with bud!

Hi @s1m1 and welcome to the forum! You have come to the right place. ;)

I recommend up potting to 1 gal black plastic nursery pots, for the seedlings that are the tallest, i.e. your first and second photo. When you up pot, bury the stem so that only about 1.5 inch is showing above the soil. You need to be very gentle for this operation. BEFORE you do any of that, I'd like to know more about the soil you are using – folks may have some recommendations.

After the plants develop some in the 1 gal – like about 9" tall, and looking nice and healthy – then you can transplant them to your final pot size. That's my recommendation.

Are you planning to grow them outdoors?

@!
Greetings, @s1m1 ! :welcome: to :420:

We'll need a bit more information from you about your grow to help you dial it in like what kind of medium are you using, are you trying to grow organically or really don't care, what your water is like, etc.

But to answer your first questions, those seedlings are very leggy which means they are stretching for light. A stronger light closer to the plants is called for. When you up-pot them you'll be able to bury some of the stem to help correct that issue.

There are some great nutrient companies that are sponsors and many of our members have had very impressive results using them so check then out.

Your mix looks pretty dense at first glance so maybe you can tell us what's in it for starters.

We can get you sorted and before long you'll be filling some jars with bud!
Hello everyone. Sorry for not getting right back with you. I got frustrated! I thought I’d killed them, but somehow they’ve survived. My first two plants were planted with Miracle Grow seedling soil (I later found out this was a big mistake). But they are surviving. The last two are only a week old, and doing much better than the first two. They were planted with Fox Farm Happy Frog Soil. They’ve all been weathering 90 degree temperatures in the shade, and seem to be loving it. 12 -14 hours partial sunlight, 4 hours under a light, then sleep. Here’s the pic’s. I’ll get back on point with my documentation tomorrow. Please comment on the pics. How do they look, make plenty of suggestions. Thanks…

Also looks overwatered I’m in Williamsburg so plenty of Va folks and lots overqualified under paid people full of knowledge to help get you on the right track
Great to find someone close by. We live in Carrollton. I’m a newby at this. I got frustrated! I thought I’d killed them, but somehow they’ve survived. My first two plants were planted with Miracle Grow seedling soil (I later found out this was a big mistake). But they are surviving. The last two are only a week old, and doing much better than the first two. They were planted with Fox Farm Happy Frog Soil. They’ve all been weathering 90 degree temperatures in the shade, and seem to be loving it. 12 -14 hours partial sunlight, 4 hours under a light, then sleep. Here’s the pic’s. I’ll get back on point with my documentation tomorrow. Please comment on the pics. How do they look, make plenty of suggestions. Thanks…

The first couple weeks are the hardest part. Seedlings are delicate and vulnerable. You will have 2 rounded leaves, then 2 jagged edged leaves. Next 2 leaves with 3 fingers. When you get to the 3 fingers you have cleared the biggest hurdle.

Are you planning to grow indoors or outdoors?

What light are you using?

At this stage standard fluorescents or LED of 100wat equivalence 6 inches from the plant would be sufficient. Under a light at 80deg is better than sun shine at 90+ deg at this stage.

It is too early to start feeding. That is one reason why the miracle grow is not good. Under feeding will slow growth and reduce yield. Over feeding is the most common problem on here and it kills the most plants.

Water at the edge of the pot so the roots have to stretch to the water. Let the soil dry before watering again. they need wet and dry cycles.

Back
Top Bottom