Inline Fans - What's the best?

starsabove

:Namaste: Guys!

Ok i'm looking for the collective view / personal experiences with the best i.e. the quietest inline fans please. This is to cover 1 square meter grow space so just a little one - I believe it's around 169/70CFM if my calculations are correct. The most important thing here after what's best for my plant children is how quiet the fan is - stealth is of the upmost importance!! Have read up on ActiveAir and Vortex Atmosphere as being ultra quiet....but don't let me put words in anyone's mouths! Ideally one that comes with ducting and a CF would obviously be amazing but looks like they are hard to come by.

Thanks a million. Peace out x

I'm far from an expert on inline fans, but...

IMO, more important than the brand or model, it comes down to sizing the fan correctly, the speed of the fan, and how it's mounted. For example, if you think a 4" fan will turn over the air in your room adequately, consider a 6" fan running at reduced speed. The larger diameter duct will have less air turbulence than a smaller duct moving the same amount of air at a higher velocity. Likewise, the reduced fan speed will have less vibration.

Next comes mounting. The better you can uncouple the fan from walls, or other large surfaces, the better. These surfaces act to amplify any vibration (=sound). In a perfect situation, you would have the fan suspended w/o touching anything except the ducting. Flex duct will transmit less vibration than rigid duct, but it also produces more air turbulence (lowers efficiency, adds noise). That trade off could depend on whether the majority of the sound is coming from vibration or airflow, if you have the option to choose either. Most of us have to use flexible or semi-rigid duct.

I think that's all I got. :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm far from an expert on inline fans, but...

IMO, more important than the brand or model, it comes down to sizing the fan correctly, the speed of the fan, and how it's mounted. For example, if you think a 4" fan will turn over the air in your room adequately, consider a 6" fan running at reduced speed. The larger diameter duct will have less air turbulence than a smaller duct moving the same amount of air at a higher velocity. Likewise, the reduced fan speed will have less vibration.

Next comes mounting. The better you can uncouple the fan from walls, or other large surfaces, the better. These surfaces act to amplify any vibration (=sound). In a perfect situation, you would have the fan suspended w/o touching anything except the ducting. Flex duct will transmit less vibration than rigid duct, but it also produces more air turbulence (lowers efficiency, adds noise). That trade off could depend on whether the majority of the sound is coming from vibration or airflow, if you have the option to choose either. Most of us haveto use flexible or semi-rigid duct.

I think that's all I got. :cheesygrinsmiley:

All valid points BUT in my experience so far, brand certainly makes a difference. I think you may remember my experience with one certain brand of fans in my journal...

The thing is there's probably a hundred different brands of fans but actually only a few different models. A lot of the cheap ones seem to just be a generic design from China and slap their name on it. This is good and bad... Bad for obvious reasons, but good because it simplifies your choice. Go with whoever offers a warranty and better customer service, because the thing that is the culprit in most unsatisfied customers with defective fans is poor quality control. With a reputable company they will at least offer a warranty, but in my experience it's not always a fantastic deal. I paid 70 bucks for my first fan, it broke two months later, and because that they would not pay shipping, and on top of that with the type of shipping they wanted it would cost 30-40 bucks just to send it back.

If you have the money it might be better to get them from a brick and mortar hardware store. Typical they will have them, if not just look up an HVAC store. I mean the same thing about warranties applies but then you won't have to pay half the cost of the fan for shipping. Plus they sell them in pairs a lot at discount, which is a very good idea to do because if one goes out in the middle of a grow, you don't want to leave them in ventilated while finding a replacement.

Fans really suck.... I am having good luck with the one got last but not sure if I can promote a brand not sold by site sponsors?

A few of us use the Soler & Palau inline mixed-flow fans. I bought mine (TD-100) because I didn't need a ton of airflow and they're known for being quiet. Mine has been running 24/7 for over three years now. :cheesygrinsmiley: But it's not silent by any means, and from what I've read of others on this forum, no fan is silent. If it needs to be especially quiet, the best way to do that is to shroud the fan with something - wrap it in a blanket or build an insulated box around it.

The other noise source, as Major pointed out, is the duct and its outlet. I have a very long duct with elbows, and my system has whooshing air noise at the elbows and the far end, so be aware of that, too. People have solved that problem by ducting straight into an insulated box on top of the tent. I've seen a cardboard box, and also a laundry basket willed with blankets. That can be very stealth-looking.

A large centrifugal fan at lower power is also very quiet. Can-Fan is a well-recommended brand.

:Namaste:

All valid points BUT in my experience so far, brand certainly makes a difference. I think you may remember my experience with one certain brand of fans in my journal...

The thing is there's probably a hundred different brands of fans but actually only a few different models. A lot of the cheap ones seem to just be a generic design from China and slap their name on it. This is good and bad... Bad for obvious reasons, but good because it simplifies your choice. Go with whoever offers a warranty and better customer service, because the thing that is the culprit in most unsatisfied customers with defective fans is poor quality control. With a reputable company they will at least offer a warranty, but in my experience it's not always a fantastic deal. I paid 70 bucks for my first fan, it broke two months later, and because that they would not pay shipping, and on top of that with the type of shipping they wanted it would cost 30-40 bucks just to send it back.

If you have the money it might be better to get them from a brick and mortar hardware store. Typical they will have them, if not just look up an HVAC store. I mean the same thing about warranties applies but then you won't have to pay half the cost of the fan for shipping. Plus they sell them in pairs a lot at discount, which is a very good idea to do because if one goes out in the middle of a grow, you don't want to leave them in ventilated while finding a replacement.

Fans really suck.... I am having good luck with the one got last but not sure if I can promote a brand not sold by site sponsors?

Thank you both guys, both valid points. There are SO many fans!! I'm in the UK so they are proving a little more hard to come by and the hardware stores don't seem to stock them. Ebay prices are extortionate because of the shipping from the USA of course!! I'll look at the site sponsored list and see what that brings to the table...

Cheers again!!

The S&P TD-silent series fans are very quiet and good for stealth setups like tents and cabinets, not for big growrooms you need more power there.

For a 1mx1m tent the TD-silent 350/125 is a good choice, I have one of those in that size tent with carbon filter, mini silencer and acoustic ducting crammed in there along with it, it's almost silent when LED lights are off.

Happy growing :Namaste:

I'm sure there are many that claim they make a silent fan...butt...the proof is in the reviews(most online sales will provide such...whether they're skewed or not is anyone's guess)...even then...one person's quiet is another's Banshee!...if You're researching and find a product that's recommended by a member here...pretty good bet you will be a happy camper...cheerz...h00k...

Back
Top Bottom