JoJo's Hempy SOG 'n SCROG - LED - C99 - Northern Lights - NL99

I don't appear to even have any KCl solution. :( amazing isn't it? None came with my Bluelab meter, or not a worthwhile amount anyway. Probably I got a tiny plastic envelope full and failed to notice. I did get a few sample envelopes of the ph solutions. I'll go look around, but definitely need to order some. To make matters more complicated, the hydro shop I usually order from- which I got the meter from for nearly $400, doesn't seem to stock the storage solution, so I'll have to go searching elsewhere.
When/if I do get the KCl solution I'll test the ppm. I assume this will tell me all I need to know. I would email Bluelab again to ask about the content of their storage solution, but sense that this would be beyond the powers of the service girl.
It's ridiculous that I failed to compute the need for storing the probe in the proper solution. I really should know better.

How does a solution travel through glass?

There is storage solution on a site called morebeer (SEARCH for morebeer storage solution) Part of the information tells us that For long term health of your elctrode use pH storage solution. It is a mixture of Potassium Chloride, Postassium Hydrogen Phthalate, Silver Nitrate, and Sodium Hydroxide.

At that point the site has a great PDF file explaining how the meters actually work. Somewhere I read that the the electrodes of different meters can contain quite different chemicals but that's why the storage solution contains so much different stuff.

Growing big in little spaces! Love it :) Awesome closet/attic job!

Thanks for joining along Growlow! You've gotta work with the space you have!

Hey weasel glass is porous the correct solution would cleanse the glass

Yeah, don't ask me too much about diffusion as I'll just be guessing, but from what I've read, it is when a solution will tend to diffuse through a semi-permeable membrane (glass) to go to a lower concentration solution on the other side of the membrane. Or that's how I understand it anyway...

There is storage solution on a site called morebeer (SEARCH for morebeer storage solution) Part of the information tells us that For long term health of your elctrode use pH storage solution. It is a mixture of Potassium Chloride, Postassium Hydrogen Phthalate, Silver Nitrate, and Sodium Hydroxide.

At that point the site has a great PDF file explaining how the meters actually work. Somewhere I read that the the electrodes of different meters can contain quite different chemicals but that's why the storage solution contains so much different stuff.

Good info Jim, thank you! I'll have to look into morebeer soon. I was making the assumption that *most* pH meters use a potassium chloride solution, but perhaps that's not the best assumption to make. Maybe simplifying a generic storage solution is tougher than I thought.. I can't exactly find out who made my cheapo meter, let alone figure out what chemicals were used in the electrode!

I don't think of glass as being porous. It sure doesn't seem to act porous when used for bottles and jars. I'll check that site out thanks MagicJim. Glass is interesting stuff. I'm told that it slowly flows like a glacier, and the window panes in old European cathedrals are very thick at the bottom and very thin at the top.

I've even heard of some people having noticed air bubbles that have floated upward in glass, over a long amount of time. One of those weird/cool amorphous solids. I'll admit I tried to read about and understand diffusion a little bit, but I couldn't find much helpful info. Maybe someone insightful will pop by!

Update (13 days flower, 55 days old):

I just finished up watering the girls tonight, and I'm pretty happy with how everything is looking. There is one thing bothering me though. I'm pretty sure my growth is and will continue to be stunted for the NL99 plants due to the container size. I've noticed growth mostly stop in the last few days, and bud production has started. They're looking awesome, don't get me wrong, but I really think they'd still be shooting up if they had more root space. I do think that the Hempy medium gives them a lot of potential root space too. Maybe I'll try clay pebbles in the future...

I fed at 1050 PPM for the NL99s, and runoff was about 1150. Everything seems to be in line, and I'm only getting a tiny big of nitrogen deficiencies showing at the bottom leaves of the plants.

The C99 SOG plants are looking great too. I fed them with 850 PPM nutrients. My pH has been pretty easy to hold at 5.8-6.2 lately. I think now that summer is over, the water supply is a bit cleaner too. The other day it measured 120 PPM, compared to the 250 PPM I was getting a few months ago. Weird!

I should also note that I installed a DIY ozone generator in the room. I'll post pics another time, but I'm basically trying to determine the optimal amount of ozone to generate for my grow space. I have a timed ozone generation every 30s, and I can vary the amount of time it runs. I'll figure out what rate works well for me, then automate it. I'm thinking the rate may have to increase as the temperature increases, but I'm not sure yet. I suppose it could be tied to RH also.

Speaking of environment, my grow has been cooler these last few weeks. I think the grow room is in the 65-72°F range most of the time, and RH has been at 45-50%. Pretty good for flowering! It should be a bit higher of each of those in the veg cab.

d55_2_.jpg

d55_3_.jpg

d55_4_.jpg

d55_5_.jpg

d55_6_.jpg

And the veg cab. Not a whole lot going on here. I fed them tonight as well. I'm still waiting for the bucket plant to recover... The 'mothers' are looking good, as are the clones. There is something a little odd going on with the C99 mother through. The roots are healthy white (a little root bound), but there's a bit of a fungus/mold growing at the bottom, which looks like it's killed a few of the roots. Any ideas if it's harmful? Shall I treat the plant with neem oil?

d55_7_.jpg

d55_8_.jpg

d55_1_.jpg

That's about all for now. I've been considering adding another strain to the mix, but I'm not sure what it'd be. I'd like an uplifting sativa, that doesn't smell too bad. I have a DIY carbon filter, but it's not great, and I'd like to keep my strains lowish odor, if I can. Any recommendations? Maybe something fruity? I read that something like grapefruit or blueberry can be low odor, but most of them start to get into the indica dominants. I also would like the seeds to be regular. It seems like it's kind of tough to find regular seeds, as they're all feminized!

Hope all is well in your world!

I forgot you were messing around with ozone, JoJo. I'd love to see some info on that. Especially if it works, Lol. It did seem to work amazingly well when I hooked mine up, but like I said I had trouble figuring out how to time it, and was a little scared of breathing the stuff in - and had a carbon filter so just went with that eventually and sold the ozone generator.
Sorry I won't be any help on your other questions. The grow is looking wonderful.
Re sativa strains - what pops into mind is Jack Herer. It's been on my list for ages but I mistakenly ordered some which turned out to be the worst possible version, from GHS breeders, and wasn't impressed by it. This was before I realized that breeders can be a sleazy bunch, and they make their own 'versions' of whatever strain they want to 'borrow' Their advertising was an outright scam and I still feel mildly upset about the whole thing. On their strain info page it says 'Winner of too many awards to mention!!!'. Then they go on to mention about a dozen of the awards it has won, while failing to mention the very important fact that their 'version' wasn't the one that won anything.
Get the one that did- the real original Jack Herer from Sensi Seeds. Expensive seeds but I've only heard rave reviews. No idea about the smell though.
As I mentioned when you asked in my journal, Mama Thai is my favorite personal smoke. It's low odor and has a very uplifting and happy high with a clear hallucinogenic feel. The stuff I'm growing isn't very strong, though apparently the strain can be and is listed as being up to 25% thc. Personally I'm happy with it as it is because I can smoke a joint or two and enjoy it. I don't really like one or two toke weed. There's no such thing as burnout or confusion with the MT. It just doesn't happen and I've never once felt the least bit clouded, paranoid, or worried no matter how much I smoked. These things are important to me because I really struggle with it when I smoke herb that confuses me.
Both those strains come in regular seeds last I looked. In fact I'm not sure they even had fem, certainly they didn't for the MT, which is from Seedsman.

Great looking girls JoJo! Been away for a while. Nice to see your grow progressing so well.
"Any ideas if it's harmful? Shall I treat the plant with neem oil?"
I don't feel neem is a very good treatment for mold or fungus in the root zone. Tho it advertises mold resistance as one of it's benefits, I believe it's applicable to the leaves... and more as a preventative measure. While I appreciate those words from the neem manufacturers, I use it for insect resistance rather than addressing any growing mold or fungus.

$.02 delivered. Happy growing!

@weasel - I'll report back on the ozone. Right now I have it located in the room that the grow cabinets are in, so I keep it to a level that feels safe to be around. Because of that, it's not doing much right now. I have it cranked way down, so it may only be running 0.5s every 30s. Plus I've noticed it kind of mixes with the plant odor, making a weird mixture that just doesn't smell right... I may try moving it to the entrance of the flower room, so it only goes through both cabs before being vented. Honestly though, the ONA bucket I made worked the best for me so far. I had to use it during the summer heat, 2 rooms away from where the air is pulled, and it kept odor down really well. I don't want to pay for ONA liquid though...

Thanks for the info on strains too. I like the look of the Mama Thai too, plus the price is right.. The way you describe it sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, honestly. I'm just hesitant to grow a long flowering sativa since I'm so impatient! I'll probably give it a try though, as it looks pretty nice. I've also been looking at Durban Poison, but it has a lower % THC. I'll pull the trigger soon!

Great looking girls JoJo! Been away for a while. Nice to see your grow progressing so well.
"Any ideas if it's harmful? Shall I treat the plant with neem oil?"
I don't feel neem is a very good treatment for mold or fungus in the root zone. Tho it advertises mold resistance as one of it's benefits, I believe it's applicable to the leaves... and more as a preventative measure. While I appreciate those words from the neem manufacturers, I use it for insect resistance rather than addressing any growing mold or fungus.

$.02 delivered. Happy growing!

Tead! Good to see you every once and awhile! I was just wondering about you the other day..

I kind of tend to feel the same way about how you mentioned neem oil working, so I'll take your word for it. Plus it acts systemically, and I'm not even sure if the mold is feeding on the roots.

OH! What became of the citrus clone?

Someone's been paying attention! It hasn't rooted yet, but it still looks super healthy, and I've been misting it and giving it fresh air about 1x/day. I'm not really sure what to expect with it. Maybe the bottom leaves will start getting sucked dry during root development like our favorite plant?

Hey jojo by ozone do u mean your using co2 ? Sorry probably a dumb question ... Also also re roots , ive been using pythoff (h2o2) @ 2ml - 10l with my hempys, just a precaution due to my climate . Have you tried any benificial bacteria? I think they would be better because your temps arnt as extreme
Plants look good man :thumb:

I think the Durban Poison may be like the Jack H. You have to buy from the right breeder and not just any old version.
The Mama Thai gives a flowering time of 11 weeks. Very fast for a true sativa. I'd probably add a couple weeks to the breeders estimate (as usual) but still- when especially when you're growing perpetual- it's painless.
The first round I did I put into 12/12 when they 4" or so high. Did a scrog though I could have done it without the screen too. Have a pic or two somewhere. It's quite controllable.

Say Wease... I'm in the market for some Durban Poison. It's advertised heat tolerance and mold resistance really have my attention. Would your recommend a source for a good version of Durban Poison?

Jojo... I think woody plants need a lot longer to root. I remember my Granny putting some woody branches of Japanese Maple in a cup in her window sill. It worked for her, but I sure remember them being there for a long time.

Hey jojo by ozone do u mean your using co2 ? Sorry probably a dumb question ... Also also re roots , ive been using pythoff (h2o2) @ 2ml - 10l with my hempys, just a precaution due to my climate . Have you tried any benificial bacteria? I think they would be better because your temps arnt as extreme
Plants look good man :thumb:

There are no stupid questions! By ozone, I'm talking about O3 (a molecule made of 3 Oxygen atoms), which is naturally present in the air. In my case, I'm making ozone with a DIY ozone generator using parts I bought online. Though I'm having second thoughts now that I found this wiki page...

This same high oxidising potential, however, causes ozone to damage mucous and respiratory tissues in animals, and also tissues in plants, above concentrations of about 100 ppb.

I think the Durban Poison may be like the Jack H. You have to buy from the right breeder and not just any old version.
The Mama Thai gives a flowering time of 11 weeks. Very fast for a true sativa. I'd probably add a couple weeks to the breeders estimate (as usual) but still- when especially when you're growing perpetual- it's painless.
The first round I did I put into 12/12 when they 4" or so high. Did a scrog though I could have done it without the screen too. Have a pic or two somewhere. It's quite controllable.

I hear you, and sometimes it's hard knowing which seeds to buy when, say, the original breeder is no longer around. And I know, I can't request all the effects of a sativa and expect an 8 week flowering time! I like the descriptions I've read on Mama Thai, so that might be my choice. Then I'll probably do some more breeding and expand my varieties! I'm really liking this NL99 that I bred.

Speaking of the NL99 plants, I'll be SOGing the clones soon after they root. I've been taking a lot of my SOG inspiration from the following journal. If you haven't read it already, I'd say it's worth it. I've come across it many times and read through maybe 3 times and realized this last time that he's growing NL99 as well. Probably from a reputable breeder though!
Come SOG with Me - 112 Plant - 2 Liter - Hempy SOG

NL99 is supposed to be "low odor" too, but it's a bit stinkier than the C99 and NL. Very controllable though. I'm liking how it's budding so far though, very quickly. I think it's going to be very productive compared to the other plants.

Say Wease... I'm in the market for some Durban Poison. It's advertised heat tolerance and mold resistance really have my attention. Would your recommend a source for a good version of Durban Poison?

Jojo... I think woody plants need a lot longer to root. I remember my Granny putting some woody branches of Japanese Maple in a cup in her window sill. It worked for her, but I sure remember them being there for a long time.

I've read that the Dutch Passion are most likely the best bet. There are several other breeders, but it seemed to have the best reviews. Weasel will probably have some good info too though.

I'd agree with the woody stem thing. Seems like you would have seen that quite awhile ago! I find it interesting the memories we choose to keep, no matter how obscure they might be. :) Sounds like one of the good ones though.

Anyway, I've had good luck with rooting sweet potato clones in a glass full of water (yes, clear glass). Like 100%. But that's a whole different type of plant. The citrus stem actually isn't too woody- it's hard to describe. Maybe I'll take some up close pictures that might show it. They just seem plastic, like the leaves.

I also forgot to mention that my most recent C99 clones had very woody stems. I usually scrape the bottom 1/2" of the stems anyway, but I had to scrape the tough skin off of these plants. I wasn't feeding the mother very well, so that's on me, but I'm hoping they still root. I'm going to run some fresh pH 5.8 water over the cubes tonight.

How's your garden looking Tead? I don't mind if you post pictures here! :thumb:

It is funny how some memories can stick in your mind. I can recall very specific details about how they were. Can't remember much from that young, but for some reason, that one stuck.
Summer heat just broke for us, so I slid one of the babies I've been keeping alive into bloom a few weeks ago...
20151022_065216.jpg
20151022_065113.jpg

In the next few weeks I'll be cranking up the activity in the grow room. Summer really impacts me in a very negative way.
I got to thinking about rooting woody plants. I think it takes a really long time. My memories are of a clear drinking glass in a window sill. I wonder if doing it in a dark container would cause fungus growth.

Hi Tead. I haven't grown it. I did search for quite a while trying to figure out where best to order DP seeds from. Eventually I got distracted by Mama Thai and Jack Herer instead. Mainly because the search was inconclusive and a bit frustrating. A lot of people reccomended the version by Afropips, as being the most sativa and nicest high. It came with the usual longer flowering/height issues compared to the other versions. Also the one by African seeds. Herbies may carry the Afropips stuff.
While I did see it as one of the worlds strongest strains on a High Times annual list, it was unclear if the original DP was bred out of existence (?). I read people saying the versions from Seedsman and Sensi and Dutch Passion were more indica, not very strong and basically nothing special. I think all the versions I looked at were listed as low thc so it was a bit confusing.
Conradino would be a good person to ask.

Yeah I wish the copycat naming thing hadn't become accepted practice. It kind of muddies the waters for everyone. Breeders sure like to breed. They just haven't figured out how to unbreed...
Let us know if you find anything out. There's a thread called something like 'what is the best Sativa?' and if I remember right I think Conradino is on there along with maybe some info - can't remember what's there exactly.

@Tead - Great looking plant! I don't even know the last time I saw pictures of your grow, if ever! Hopefully things will go smoothly for you this winter. I assume you have to heat the shed?

Let us know if you do find a Durban Poison that you like, as it's on my list for the future. The whole breeder thing you guys mentioned has bothered me since I started. As a newbie you have no idea which breeder to use, so you take a chance. It worked out for me, but it's even tough to find out who the original breeder is sometimes. I guess we can't change it now..

I'll post an update later, I've been lazy the last few days. They're on day 19 of 12/12 now and I'm fighting the urge to defoliate them. I want to wait for day 21, but it's hard when those leaves are blocking all the buds!

Let us know if you find anything out.

I queried Conradino as you suggested. He pointed me at the "Seeds of Africa" stains. They carry something interesting named "Durban Magic" that piqued my interest. Herbies carries them, so I'll pick them up from Herbies soon. Drag that they don't come fem'd (cause I'm horribly lazy). Thanks for the tip.

"I assume you have to heat the shed?"
Ya know.... that 400W light with the exhaust vented inside does a really good job of keeping an insulated shed warm during our rare cool days. I have a small radiant oil filled heater with a thermostat on it that I set to 70 to keep the area warm at night. Humidity is an issue at all times, so the 24/7 fans keep it at a nice even temp thru the entire grow area. Heating is the winter is much easier for me than cooling in the summer. We often have winters that don't include temps below freezing. I can really crank things up with lots of CF side lighting that I could never use during the summer.

I'm always shy of defoliating myself. It's hard. It just feels wrong, but you know it's better and needs to be done. It's the dental work of growing.

Back
Top Bottom