Keffkas Seedsman Comparative: Purple Ghost Candy

IMG_7452.jpeg

This is my comparative journal for @SeedsMan

As the title and picture show, we’re running Purple Ghost Candy

Here’s information about the strain straight from the source:

IMG_7447.jpeg

We’ll see. I don’t pull punches, but I also don’t hesitate to acknowledge mistakes.

Here’s a little more:

IMG_7449.jpeg

I know all of those words so we’re in good shape!

Here’s a few more words, I know these too but I probably pronounce them wrong:

IMG_7451.jpeg

And some pictures that need no words:

IMG_7469.jpeg
IMG_7470.jpeg
IMG_7471.jpeg
IMG_7472.jpeg

I will be running my grow under a ROI E720. I can flower 5x5 but prefer to keep it 4x4. I am gonna audible this whole grow. I haven’t decided on my final pot sizes, nor my nutrition. I may use my recycled mineralized soil, or I may go smaller pots, Ocean Forest, and prescription blend nutrients. Either way it will at minimum technically be organic. Half the fun in growing to me is adapting. I’ve already initiated the process and will cover it to where I’m at now in subsequent comments.

Im in an attic so temperature is always my biggest fight. I run a passive airflow system utilizing 4-6 oscillating fans. I have 2 humidifiers and 2 heaters. Since I run organic under LED I prefer to keep my temps up around 85F which is easy to achieve in an attic during spring and summer. I don’t believe in lowering my temperatures during lights off since I’m running my temps for the soil to begin with. I’ve not noticed any degradation, if anything they seem to do better with less temperature change.

I will be germinating straight in my medium for these reasons:

I will be utilizing myco from the beginning and will cover its importance for organic gardeners, as well as some facts about it during this journal.

As with all my journals, any and all are welcome to join in! Since this is a sponsor based journal I will keep it strictly to plants and growing.

If you’re following my other journal(s) you’ve likely already seen what I’m about to cover.

I am currently in the middle of putting different amounts of holes in different designs on my solo cups for sprouting. The additional holes help alleviate over watering and I’m trying to see if the additional oxygen is beneficial. Last run I tried a few designs and this run I’m trying a few more. Here are the cups:

IMG_7444.jpeg
IMG_7445.jpeg

I filled the cups with Coast of Maines seedling starter mix called sprout island. Here’s a shot of the seedling mix:
IMG_7489.jpeg

It has a very low nutrient content which is what I prefer since I spend the first 10 days aggressively establishing myco as best as I can. One of the most effective ways of doing this is ensuring the plant has a need to make a myco connection. A plant will dedicate as much as 30% of its carb production toward myco, but it has to have a reason to spend this much energy. Once a plant realizes it needs help getting more of what it wants, it will send a signal out which will entice the myco to come over and link up. Then the magic happens.

Here’s a shot of the seedling mix a few days ago
IMG_7437.jpeg

That is 1.25 gallons of seedling mix cut with 2 cups of perlite, enough for 10 plants. The mix comes with perlite but I’ve always found commercial mixes to be lacking in perlite amounts. More oxygen in the root zone equals bigger, healthier roots and plants with more beneficial bacteria. So I cut all my mixes with perlite if they haven’t been recycled. I watered that seedling mix with 1 L of pure water with microbes mixed in. Here’s a shot of the microbes used:

IMG_7438.jpeg

I have their benefits broken down in my other journal if anyone is interested or we can chat about them here if anyone wants.

After spinning the seedling mix around to get a good mixture I set it near my radiator for 2 days to allow it to really start kicking life into gear. After 2 days of this I put the mix into the individual cups as seen here:

IMG_7458.jpeg
IMG_7459.jpeg

I just use my pinky to push a hole down to my cuticle in each cup. Once I’ve done this, I set the cups on a makeshift heating system and raise the soil temps to a minimum of 80F preferably closer to 85. Here are the cups warmed and ready:

IMG_7463.jpeg

IMG_7464.jpeg

I let those cups sit at 80-85F for 12-24 hours depending on life.

So once the cups have established it’s time to plant. Here’s the tools for planting:

IMG_7477.jpeg

IMG_7478.jpeg
IMG_7480.jpeg

Here’s a shot of the small beaker filled with myco and seeds

IMG_7481.jpeg

I roll the seeds around a little bit in the myco then I take them out and throw them right into the cups. After I throw the seed in the cup I lightly pack soil around it then lightly water it in with pure water that has been mixed with the leftover myco as seen here
IMG_7483.jpeg

Once the seeds have been planted and watered in, the cups go right back to their heat shack as seen here

IMG_7485.jpeg
IMG_7487.jpeg
IMG_7486.jpeg

The seeds will spend the next 1-4 days sprouting. I expect a 100% germination rate from the red cups and we will see what happens with the greens. I haven’t had any problems germinating before so this time should be no different.

I will update as things begin progressing.

I see an insane amount of misinformation, misunderstanding, and waste when it comes to myco. People who have no business using it because they use bottled available nutrients all the way to organic gardeners that use it every other watering.

Myco isn’t bacteria. It’s temperamental and doesn’t like outside input. The moment you add any product with available P you chase the myco away and send it into dormancy. If you’re already providing all of a plants nutrients directly to the plant, you get zero benefit from myco and are again wasting money because myco won’t even link up with the plant. Remember, a plant has to spend 30% of its TOTAL CARB PRODUCTION to utilize myco. A plant isn’t going to just decide to waste 30% of its carbs when it’s getting everything it needs from the grower.

If you’re providing nutrients directly to the plant you’re wasting money on myco. If you’re using chelated or highly available nutrients you’re wasting money. If you’re watering with myco every other watering you’re wasting money.

Basically, if you’re providing anything directly to the plant like when using bottled nutrients, you’re wasting money and effort. This isn’t an opinion, these are the facts. If I wind up using the prescription blend nutrients then I also will have wasted money. However that doesn’t mean much because I use so little myco my bottle is about to expire. It doesn’t take much at all to make things happen.

I have plenty of sources for all of this for those interested in learning more

IMG_7452.jpeg

This is my comparative journal for @SeedsMan

As the title and picture show, we’re running Purple Ghost Candy

Here’s information about the strain straight from the source:

IMG_7447.jpeg

We’ll see. I don’t pull punches, but I also don’t hesitate to acknowledge mistakes.

Here’s a little more:

IMG_7449.jpeg

I know all of those words so we’re in good shape!

Here’s a few more words, I know these too but I probably pronounce them wrong:

IMG_7451.jpeg

And some pictures that need no words:

IMG_7469.jpeg
IMG_7470.jpeg
IMG_7471.jpeg
IMG_7472.jpeg

I will be running my grow under a ROI E720. I can flower 5x5 but prefer to keep it 4x4. I am gonna audible this whole grow. I haven’t decided on my final pot sizes, nor my nutrition. I may use my recycled mineralized soil, or I may go smaller pots, Ocean Forest, and prescription blend nutrients. Either way it will at minimum technically be organic. Half the fun in growing to me is adapting. I’ve already initiated the process and will cover it to where I’m at now in subsequent comments.
Definitely eye candy 🍭❤️
You could always grow them w the 2 different mediums, pot size, an nutes, an record the difference side by side along w the comparison. (Just thinking out loud) and adapting to their needs, you couldn't be more truer. 😌

Thanks Roy! I see a lot of growers spending a lot of money and time on products they don’t truly benefit from. The part that really gets me is they do themselves a disservice in the process. They will attribute their growth and quality to myco when in reality, they’re just getting better at providing for their plants. They undersell their own skills.

Definitely eye candy 🍭❤️
You could always grow them w the 2 different mediums, pot size, an nutes, an record the difference side by side along w the comparison. (Just thinking out loud) and adapting to their needs, you couldn't be more truer. 😌

Welcome J!

I’ve got 10 cups established for 10 plants.
5 of them will be the Purple Ghost Candy.
I’ll also be throwing two Gelato autos and a Runtz Punch outdoors as well, so there’s definitely gonna be a lot of adapting going on.

Chock full of information! Thanks! These look like winners!

Thanks Stone! Did you find that new soil analysis we talked about helpful?

Thanks Stone! Did you find that new soil analysis we talked about helpful?
I did, Rimrock got back with their notes. I have a hard time converting it to something that I can show you. It was balanced enough, with a slight need for phos. A recommendation for how much per a 60 gallon batch of soil was given for amending. I'm very pleased with Rimrock! When I can I'll try to get it so we can all see it. Oh, ph was 7.5! I guess my extra dolomiting it up for the sativas worked!

I did, Rimrock got back with their notes. I have a hard time converting it to something that I can show you. It was balanced enough, with a slight need for phos. A recommendation for how much per a 60 gallon batch of soil was given for amending. I'm very pleased with Rimrock! When I can I'll try to get it so we can all see it. Oh, ph was 7.2! I guess my extra dolomiting it up for the sativas worked!

Awesome! Sounds like it was much more useful and far less confusing than the other. I’ll make sure to recommend @Rimrock Analytical from now on

Back
Top Bottom