Kushtie - Multiple Strains - 600W HPS & NFT

Not sure my stadium grow plan worked too well....

room1806-1.jpg

Pretty much as soon as I pulled the Russian Rocket Fuels out of there the Violator Kush went nuts and stretched like crazy and she's not for bending much now. Fan leaves seem to go ugly quick on it too....new growth has looked fine since some problems early on but the leaves don't seem to last and the buds are pretty tiny and hard to see. And a fair few tops are getting frazzled now since I haven't been paying her enough attention.

The Mothers Finest behind the VK is doing fine. A little tall but they don't seem to mind growing right up to the light.

room1806-2.jpg

My wee soil auto seems to be doing fine and is now getting the Oldtimer bloom nutes.

room1806-3.jpg

room1806-4.jpg

Mothers Finest clones I potted up seem OK-ish. One of them is going to be the mother plant for the next lot of clones going in hydro but I'm trying decide between whether to flower the other one, use it as a mother or stick it outdoors. Will transplant to 11L pots soon either way.

room1806-5.jpg

Had a slight problem with the heat last week and my propagator dried out killing a few of my auto seedlings. Rigged up my homemade hydro tank again to make sure they stayed hydrated and most of them seem to have started growing again.

room1806-6.jpg

The wee tank thing seems to work a treat, particularly if I keep the pH in the 5.5-5.8 range. Might try germinating seeds in it to save having to switch between it and the propagator.

To keep the pH in range on my tanks I fill a pint glass with about 500ml of water and skoosh about 0.5ml or so of pH down in it. Then with the diluted pH down I add it a little bit at a time, give it time to mix and then check the meter reading again. Using full strength pH down on small tanks is tricky as one drop can make a big difference so I dilute it for more control.

Your stadium grow - looks like it going a bit crazy there. The screen didnt do its job as well as it should have or like you said - a bit of neglect probably caused them to hit those heights. If you find that some of the plants are lacking in light then try trimming some of the leaves off and that will give the buds more light. Have a look on the net for trimming plants, there is an actual term for it but cant remember what it is called. Involves taking a lot of leaves off thus the light will penetrate the rest of the plant and i think it gets done around half way through flowering.

It is called defoliation. Some growers swear by it and others say it a big no no. I can see both sides of the argument. Have a search for it (there is some of it detailed on here and available on some other sites) read it and make up your own mind. You say it not much for bending. Am sure if you bend some branches a little bit each day you will get them to spread out more and the light will cover more of your canopy. Just tie the branch at one end and tie that branch bending it gently towards the screen and tie onto the screen. Every day or two just keep pulling that branch further down till it gets to a better level. Hope you understand what i am meaning.

Cheers bud. still not done much defoliation or rearranging in there but have been out and got pics of the outdoor ones...will get them online for you guys soon.

The spare clone I stuck out a week or so ago is doing better than the autos that have been out for over a month. I stuck another couple of autos out while I was there and have one more pot of soil wet and waiting to be planted on site:)

Looking great buddy! I've been reading grow journals all week and you seem to really be able to crank out one good yeild after another. Looks like hydro is vastly superior to soil!

Did you get a carbon scrubber? I'm curious if the odours are creeping outside or down into your house.

keep at it!

Personally i would cut those leaves off. No point in having any water or nutes travelling along the leaves when they look dead. Best let the plant heal once they have been cut off and it will concentrate more on the healthy parts of the plant.

You seem to like playing with plants.....I should get you round to try and tame my hydro bitches lol :)

A light tug wasn't getting one of the leaves off so I just left it. She was the runt of the litter though.....my mate got 2 rooted clones back as he was harvesting the plants the clones he gave me were from and I've got the 2 flowering in hydro under the 600w and another two vegging in pots under the 125w. Don't really need or have room for 2 mother plants though so might try stuffing one in a rucksack and dumping her in the woods too.

Best of it is Mothers Finest is a Haze strain and whilst it's a very pleasant smoke that you can get shit done on it's not really my cup of tea. However, my buddy that helped me get set up wants to grow nothing else and has an unreliable source for clones that cost a quarter each. Hopefully he'll get his own wee veg room and be self sufficient soon.....and buy a fecking pH pen lol :)

Looking great buddy! I've been reading grow journals all week and you seem to really be able to crank out one good yeild after another. Looks like hydro is vastly superior to soil!

Did you get a carbon scrubber? I'm curious if the odours are creeping outside or down into your house.

keep at it!

Cheers bud, welcome to the forum :cheer:

Dunno about one good yield after another yet but I'm giving it my best shot. Was pleased with the 10oz in 10 weeks from half my grow room with my first lot of autos but I think the one before that would have been better if I had a pH pen. There seems to be a few basic rules with hydro and if you follow them well you can get frightening rates of growth that can get a bit out of hand in a small space. I'm still learning how to keep up with it! :)

I wouldn't draw too many conclusions about soil v hydro growth rates from this journal though......The one indoor auto I've got in soil was kept small under a cfl whereas the ones I grew in hydro were under a much brighter hps light sooner. I'm not sure what strain the one in soil is either; it may be a shorter one.

EDIT...oh aye, carbon filter....have one but never had it out the box. The extractor fan seems to suck most of the smell outside and even before I got that it didn't really drift down as the airflow through my house tends to go up.

Outdoor pics 24/6/15

First the bad news.....

mud2406-3.jpg

....arrived to find a slug chewing round the button of one of the Shortstuff autos. Need to get some copper wire or something round the ones in plastic pots. Hopefully felt pots on the others will stop them climbing up.....it's just the ones I moved from the other site where they were protected by being up off the ground that are in plastic pots.

Better news is there does seem to have been a reasonable amount of growth since I visited 2.5 days ago though.

mud2406-4.jpg

And some pics of the site....

mud2406-2.jpg

mud2406-1.jpg

.....spot the ganja lol :)

Nice spot for growing buddy. Wish i had a plot like that, looks like it'll get plenty of sun all day long and the ground does look like it'll be quite soft under foot. Should be free from passers by just the deer may be a problem. As for your plant that got eaten by a slug it does seem to be growing remarkably well considering. I assume you got slug pellets down now? Perhaps it may have been wise in hindsight to do that before or perhaps put a wee plastic base round the bottom. I would advise covering the bottom of that plant with some fresh soil up to the first set of leaves or perhaps take those first set off and increase the soil level up a bit further. Obviously i know you cant raise the soil completely level but just 2"-3" in circumference around the base of the plant. This should help.

That's a good spot mate!! Loving the new growth too! Hopefully you are getting better weather than we are here, has been cloudy for days now. Veggies are doing great, but the outdoor cannabis seems to be a little slow.

Is the ground quite peaty there? Might not need any attention at all over the growing season, plenty of nutrients and good water retention. Is it a south facing plot?

I assume you got slug pellets down now?

That might have been the sensible option but I want to find out how much of a problem pests are.

In plastic pots slugs would appear to be a big problem and have caused significant damage to 3 out of 4 plant. The felt pots seem to have faired better with only 1 of the 4 plants being eaten down to a thin stem poking out the soil. That was the one and only WW auto I managed to get out there too.

I took some of the soil out from the pot the WW auto was in and packed it round the base of the plants that had been eaten around at the base.

Is the ground quite peaty there? Might not need any attention at all over the growing season, plenty of nutrients and good water retention. Is it a south facing plot?

The ground is pretty much level so I wouldn't say it faces any direction. I reckon it's about 50m long and half as wide and at the moment I'm just planting somewhere near the middle so whenever the sun is bright enough to be of any use to them there's nothing to shade them. Haven't checked but hopefully they get sun from an hour or so after sunrise to a couple of hours before sunset.

How many plants do you think it would take to fill that site lol? :)

Some new pics.....

The indoor one that is the same age as the 4 outdoor ones in plastic pots:
mix2806-1.jpg

The outdoor ones in plastic pots....first 3 are the Shortstuff mix and the 4th the Super Cali Haze:
mud2806-1.jpg

mud2806-2.jpg

mud2806-3.jpg

The wee dot on the leave of that one isn't a hole, just a wee fly that stopped to do some preening...
mud2806-3-crop.jpg

And the SCH:
mud2806-4.jpg

The outdoor Mother Finest still seems to be loving it out there. She was bigger than the autos when she went out as she was in a wee soil pot but I've been skipping the small pot stage with the autos because I heard they don't like transplants. I'm going to have to try it though as the bigger they are when they go out the better they seem to do.

mud2806-5.jpg

The pot in the background has a little RRF auto in it.

Will try to get some indoor pics done again soon.

Still need to get in and do some pics of the indoor ones which, apart from some being too close to the light, are doing OK. The ones in hydro are growing big, fat buds and the soil one has stayed pretty small but is hopefully growing some really tasty wee nugs.

Better news is the outdoor ones seem to be doing more growing than the indoor ones now. Except the one that got eaten that is.....top completely gone so I've now either got some spare soil to top up my other pots or a free pot to put something else in. Might try sprouting a seed in it and plan on taking more soil out anyway.

This is the top bit of the plug I cut out the ground to plant the one behind.....
mud1007-1.jpg

mud1007-2.jpg

One of my youngest lot of autos in the foreground, which has now overtaken the ones I still have indoors from the same batch.....
mud1007-3.jpg

....smallest of the 3 clones that went out behind it.

This one snapped when I stuffed it in rucksack to take it out there....
mud1007-4.jpg

The autos in plastic pots that were on a fallen tree in a small clearing but got moved to ground level in a bigger clearing....
mud1007-5.jpg

mud1007-6.jpg

mud1007-7.jpg

.....those autos are 112 days from seed already lol.

Hey Kushtie, I'm running a similar strain Speedy G (Diesel X Lowryder #2 X Great White Shark) Auto flower with the same nutes. Your journal is great! Very nice looking plants :thumb:

Hey Kushtie, I'm running a similar strain Speedy G (Diesel X Lowryder #2 X Great White Shark) Auto flower with the same nutes. Your journal is great! Very nice looking plants :thumb:

Cheers bud. Turned out to be a cracking smoke that RRF (Diesel x Lowryder) and a great yield too. I'll keep an eye on yours.....good luck:thumb:

Thinking about popping some more seeds.....got another mix pack of Shortstuff autos I could put outside and need to start thinking about starting the next ones for the hydro tanks. Violator Kush or White Widow or order something else?

Back
Top Bottom