Leaves curling down and folding

SkeetN

Thanks in advance to everyone on here. So I'm on my 1st grow and I've done everything but the right way or so it seems. Im growing in coco coir/perlite medium and feeding with blue planet nutes. I've been following the feeding chart but only using half the strength they suggest. I water every couple to few days and feed every other watering or every 3rd depending how they look. So my leaves have been curling down and the sides are folding up. It started a few weeks ago and I've done a lot of research that hasn't changed much so I figured I would ask the pros. I'm on week 6 and gonna change over to flowering soon but wanna get this figured out 1st. My room runs 71-75F with lights on and 50% humidity give or take, my lights are air cooled and roughly 14" higher. I've come to assumption its cal/mag def or nitrogen toxicity. Is anybody hand feeding with blue planet and what % do you use? If it is cal/mag def would I be ok adding cal/mag when I feed or should I do it when I water? And how much cal/mag per gallon?

20130804_171114.jpg
20130804_171109.jpg
20130804_171104.jpg

Subbed to thread. I'm not sure what this is but I've had it come and go on my current grow. Id like to know what some opinions are.

Doesn't look like a nitrogen problem or you'd see some color issues. The green looks good. Cal mag deficiencies usually show up during flower. Almost appears to be over watering. Are you letting the top few inches of soil get dry before the next watering? Your temps and humidity are good too and the plants may use the water a little slower due to the lower temps. Just a thought. Maybe try to wait an extra day between waterings and see what happens. They don't look bad though, I've seen much worse.

Hello my friend fromy experience there are a couple of things it could be 1st is wind from a fan but that is normally only on leaves close to the fan 2nd nitrogen toxicity but I doubt that only feeding every few days so I'm left thinking it's cal mag .in coco perlite mix you should be feeding everytime you water and watering atleast once a day I mix mine 50/50 coco perlite and in veg I water 1 time a day but as they get bigger 2 times and when in full flower 3 to 5 times depending how they take it .in my opinion watering coco perlite with plain water just washes any goodness away you need to treat it as hydro which it is .can't help on your nutes though as I have never used them but I would say they will be the same as most base nutes are base nutes no mater who makes them in my opinion do you have an ec pen

Hey thanks for quick response. I dont think its over watering, the soil has been very dry last couple weeks I've been watering and I just looked at my journal and it was 4 days in between watering last couple times. I read that to much air movement so I turned my fan on low and moved it back couple weeks ago. I think but not certain that the curling down is due to under watering, like I said soil has been extremely dry last couple times and I noticed day or 2 after watering they perk up but still have the tacoing effect. I'm gonna treat it as cal/mag def and give them some tonight. I appreciate everyone's input and advice and I'll post in day or 2 and let you know what happens

if its under watered then a good watering would show improvement in a matter of hours, if it was to much N then you would have claws like looking leaves so we can say its not to much N at this stage.

now its not to clear in the picture but are the leaves sort of curling up along the edges forming a sort of cup, if this is the case then this suggests temps are a little on the high side so try and lower temps or raise the light a bit,

also the new growth in the middle of the leaves looks a lighter shade of green, this in itself could suggest not enough N but certainly i wouldnt say it was to much N just from them pics,

so check temps at canopy level and see if its on the high side, if you have give it a good watering then it should recover pretty quick if its due to been under watered, what size pot is the plant in,

what nutrients are you feeding and how often, the plant that size will be using up a lot of nutrients in the soil, lets see how it looks in a couple of days after a good watering

I do think I was under watering a bit but will be watering every other day now and feeding every other watering unless you guys suggest otherwise. Fatty said he watered daily and i didnt know if i should water more often or not. If i would water daily how much should I give them at time. I'm giving them gallon and half currently which gives me about 20% runoff. The leaves defintiely perked up since I started watering more often but the folding is still there. My temps have been 71-76 at top of canopy and 66-72 on under side. I have been constantly raising my lights and they are sitting roughly 12-14". II'm using 5 gallon aero pots and built table for all my runoff. Im using Blue Planet nutes, think its there high yield combo, which I was unsure of what strength to use. I've been going off there feeding chart but been giving half the strength. I don't have ec pen but do have ppm pen, I believe they can do the same. Should I be following the ratios but shooting for certain ppm? Oh and 1 other thought, could my lights be to intense, turn them up to 1000 watt few weeks ago. Think I'm try turning back down to see if that might help and mtry to slow down my growth. Who ever would of thought it was easy to grow:)

Actually, Skeet, I wish my plants looked that good - they look really healthy!

What is the strain?

My only suggestion might be some micronutrients, like azomite or something. You should ask BigIrishDoode. He has a ton of experience with coco.

I do think I was under watering a bit but will be watering every other day now and feeding every other watering unless you guys suggest otherwise. Fatty said he watered daily and i didnt know if i should water more often or not. If i would water daily how much should I give them at time. I'm giving them gallon and half currently which gives me about 20% runoff. The leaves defintiely perked up since I started watering more often but the folding is still there. My temps have been 71-76 at top of canopy and 66-72 on under side. I have been constantly raising my lights and they are sitting roughly 12-14". II'm using 5 gallon aero pots and built table for all my runoff. Im using Blue Planet nutes, think its there high yield combo, which I was unsure of what strength to use. I've been going off there feeding chart but been giving half the strength. I don't have ec pen but do have ppm pen, I believe they can do the same. Should I be following the ratios but shooting for certain ppm? Oh and 1 other thought, could my lights be to intense, turn them up to 1000 watt few weeks ago. Think I'm try turning back down to see if that might help and mtry to slow down my growth. Who ever would of thought it was easy to grow:)

Seriousely my friend feed every watering and look at the difference in a couple of days coco don't like plain water unless you are flushing for harvest
Find an ec ppm conversion chart plants that size you want an ec of about 1.4 and feed in every watering that plant is hungry

IMAG15733.jpg

You could have buds like them in no time

Seems answers are pretty good, my 2 cents, bpn is intended to be used every watering full strength Corey designed them that way and will rarely burn if you follow the online schedule,IM seeing hungry mg def plants,in Coco you want to keep it moist all the time it's passive hydro, adding pearlite means it really needs to get water steady, in Coco watering brings in more oxygen, it's not the same treatment as soil no dryouts (it actually causes ph fluctuation) nesessary, the paleness in the greens say more n, now for Calmag, sometimes you get enough with tap water defol need extra with to water, Coco holds onto some Calmag (more or less) I always add some garden lime to the Coco before use, but I would add some Calmag or get some Epsoma garden lime from home d and topdress a few tsp in each pot, they look healthy otherwise good job, I have a thread dedicated to Coco growing in my sig you may find helpful
I always watered to 10%runoff with bpn and Coco grows, your well on your way to some sweet nuggetry, if you recycle the Coco for next round you won't need as much extra Cal mag, I always find the second/third run gets better as the Coco seasons IM running a Coco/soil purpose built medium for high brix, near thing about Coco is it can be used with organics and can support a microbe rich enviro as well as a passive sterile hydro great stuff! Good luck welcome to 420 mag and I hope this helps:welcome:

1st off, all you gents and or ladies rock! And graytail sorry I missed your post, have black russian, critical sensi star and sweet deep grapefruit. When I 1st got clones they were in not so good of shape and I only made em worse which wont happen again:) I did mix garden lime in my soil but being my 1st time and scared to over do anything I only mixed 1/2 tsp per gallon. As for my nutes I've been skeptical cause I've gave them nute burn twice but info you guys given me makes me more comfortable giving them more. I'm changing my watering/feeding to daily and slowly(over few days) jumping nutes up to recommended strength. I have been giving them 3 ml cal/mag per gallon as well but when I switch over to flowering I'll change to epsom salt. Thanks again to all and your wealth of knowledge. Also I gotta give some respect to BPN...my 1st time and people talked shit bout this SUPPOSEDLY cheap worthless nute line. Well mine are looking fuller and healthier (minus my few issues here and there) and I can't wait til harvest to rub it in there face and switch them over.

With ur guys help I may be up for dad of the year. Pic was this morning agnd again they look healthier for sure. Hopefully they keep up and I can switch in next week or so to flowering. 1 quick question, do you guys ever flush them with water/feed daily?

So overview....I did use cal/mag plus but I also had been under water/feeding them. For most part everything else stayed consistent. My Mg def could of been from coco or just using to little nutes but as of now it appears the folding is goin away and my plants definitely look happier. Thanks again to everyones input.
20130809_101723.jpg
20130809_101717.jpg

i grow in soil so each grow medium will require different methods, but with the nutrients i use i feed nutrients then the next is just plain water, if my plants look ok still i might go 2 waterings before the next nute feed, but as they get bigger i do up it to every other feed or even every feed depending on how the plants look and how well its growing,

a bigger plant will need more and will use up more nutrients but i grow in soil so i dont need to flush as such unless their is a major problem which touch wood i have not had as of yet.

plants look amazing though, a good turn around very healthy and its going to be a very nice grow

Back
Top Bottom