Making Rick Simpson Oil from Moldy Weed - Botrytis

Re: Making Rick Simpson oil from moldy weed (Botrytis)

I also had just a little bit of molded buds from not burping my jar enough. Didn't amount to much weight after quick dry but I still couldn't bring myself to just throw it out.
In turn I made up the diff. of an ounce with trims and made RSO from it. In retrospect, I think it was less than a smart move and I should have just deep sixed it. Now I have 10cc's of RSO that may or may not be safe. (I really surprise myself at just how impulsive I can be at times.) I'll probably pitch the whole batch now. lol

These folks are talking about the truth... mold can make you sick or kill you

having said that I have smoked many zips of Moroccan hash

have a look what it is made from

as you can see by the sheds of moldy pot it doesn't really matter to them :cheesygrinsmiley:

I have a big plant that got mold. I am cutting off any buds with mold and chopping up the rest for bubble. I am very careful and inspect each bud as it is chopped. This does not stop some from maybe getting in the process. My product is used only by me and given what I have ingested over the years what I am making is like a virgin snowfall :rofl: but in reality it is still like Russian roulette

Whatever you do, do it only to yourself.

Buck

These folks are talking about the truth... mold can make you sick or kill you

having said that I have smoked many zips of Moroccan hash

have a look what it is made from

as you can see by the sheds of moldy pot it doesn't really matter to them :cheesygrinsmiley:

I have a big plant that got mold. I am cutting off any buds with mold and chopping up the rest for bubble. I am very careful and inspect each bud as it is chopped. This does not stop some from maybe getting in the process. My product is used only by me and given what I have ingested over the years what I am making is like a virgin snowfall :rofl: but in reality it is still like Russian roulette

Whatever you do, do it only to yourself.

Buck
funny that you mention moroccan hash, cause thats the best you can get in italy without growing xD.
ofc in fall / winter you can find some hermie, if you're lucky. hermie plants are so convenient(since they make hermie seeds you can just plant them over and over again) you cant find sensimilla in italy.

buddy gave me a bunch of real good trim with lots of small buds to make oil with. it was moldy from being put in a plastic bag-- broke my heart but i had to burn it . i dont eat moldy food why the hell would i make oil from it to give to someone already sick.

As pointed out it's often not the mold spores themselves that are a problem but the toxic byproducts they make can be toxic. This is particularly true with food products like cheese and canned foods.

That being said I have smoked and eaten moldy pot or oils made from moldy pot with no discernible health effects. Back in the late 60s and early 70s we used to moisten the mexican dirt pot that was about the only thing available, put it in baggies and bury it to get moldy in the mistaken belief that it increased potency. About all it did was make the smoke smoother and sprout any seeds that were in it and there was always lots of those. lol

In the last 10 years or so I've had small batches of pot go a bit moldy during the slow drying stage of my curing process. I trim fully right off the plant and put the finished buds in small, wax paper lined boxes to slow dry over a period of up to 3 weeks before they are dry enough to go into jars for another 3 weeks of burping. I haven't had any go fully moldy, just some on the surface.

When that has happened I immediately put the pot on a screen in the window to dry it quickly in the sun. The box and paper get burned and the pot is saved for making into oil and used for edibles or by mixing with kief, made into hash.

When making oil out of it it gets filtered thru a lab filter that is much finer than a coffee filter, Whatman ashless 15cm. Those for sure remove any mold spores but do nothing to remove any possible toxins.

To sell or give any of this to anyone without full disclosure would be irresponsible and if anyone was harmed could result in criminal charges but I use it all myself so no worries.

Better to err on the side of caution I know but as I've never suffered any ill effects I'll likely do it again should it happen.

:peace:

Im surprised no one asked for a picture to see how bad the bud rot was. I guess 2013 were different times
They asked to make medicine with it, any mold is too much for medicine.

Re: Making Rick Simpson oil from moldy weed (Botrytis)

Also, it isn't always the mold that is at issue but the byproducts of the mold that can cause illness/death. Typically, those compounds cannot be destroyed using the same methods, i.e. heat, used to destroy bacteria or mold. For example, the bacteria Clostridium botulinum doesn't actually kill you, it is the toxin that it produces that does and cooking affected food does nothing to destroy those compounds which can survive intact for a very long time.
In the process of making Rick Simpson oil, you are using a 100 proof alcohol.., to wash the weed with.., before the impurities are cooked out of it, with heat. So are you saying that 100 proof alcohol doesn't kill mold & it's by-products?🤔

In the process of making Rick Simpson oil, you are using a 100 proof alcohol.., to wash the weed with.., before the impurities are cooked out of it, with heat. So are you saying that 100 proof alcohol doesn't kill mold & it's by-products?🤔

mold spores are smaller than the trichomes and will stay suspended in the alcohol, they don't "dissolve". no matter what you do some is getting through. bleach, vinegar, and a variety of acids from mild to dangerous are far better at eradicating mold than alcohol, but most are not consumable safe.

also 100 proof is only 50% by volume which is lower than lab grade alcohols used for sterilization. the amount of heat required won't kill the spores. you'd need lava type temps.

edit : i see it's your first post @Curiousme333 , why not stop by the intro page and tell us a little about yourself. :welcome:

It's not just the mould spores to consider. Many types of mould excrete toxic waste that will remain in the final product so just filtering out the solid matter or sterilizing with 100% alcohol won't fix that.

As I noticed I pointed out in a post just a few up from this one almost 7 years ago! lol

:peace:

Back
Top Bottom