Malawi & Golden Tiger

What media and other nutes do you use, if any? It is really hard to OD on calmag. Molasses is a simple absorbable sugar with no NPK to effect the plant negatively. Karma claims to be a "booster with no significant NPK". Karma is dolomite (calmag), potassium carbonate(K), fish meal (N),more mag, humic acid (can't OD), and seaweed extract (growth hormone).

The potassium carbonate and fish meal are insignificant amounts bound to the humic acid so there is no reason to stop. Calmag, humic acid, and seaweed extract are vary beneficial to the plant. Even in high doses. As long as your PH is correct.
Soil was fox farm happy frog. I did add Bloom for about 3 weeks in addition to molassess, kharma & calmag. Combined high tds was around 1000. The most came from molassess. Bloom was maybe 400tds

Depending on the scale of your meter,400 is a bit high for an organic soil. There are 3 scales. .8EC = 400, 512 or 560 TDS or PPM. With a soilless grow I run closer to.7 EC or 350 TDS on most sativas. As captainlucky and I were talking bout, they don't like heavy feeding at all. Strain, temperature, light, air quality, water and more play into what is optimum nutrient level. So no 2 grow rooms would agree on the correct TDS.

In a week you will have mostly cloudy trichs. Two weeks all cloudy with a few ambers. Three weeks mostly amber. Sometimes they will refuse to amber. I aim for fully cloudy with the first few ambers. I would rather take two hits with the lower THC from less amber than get couch lock of heavy amber.

Depending on the scale of your meter,400 is a bit high for an organic soil. There are 3 scales. .8EC = 400, 512 or 560 TDS or PPM. With a soilless grow I run closer to.7 EC or 350 TDS on most sativas. As captainlucky and I were talking bout, they don't like heavy feeding at all. Strain, temperature, light, air quality, water and more play into what is optimum nutrient level. So no 2 grow rooms would agree on the correct TDS.

In a week you will have mostly cloudy trichs. Two weeks all cloudy with a few ambers. Three weeks mostly amber. Sometimes they will refuse to amber. I aim for fully cloudy with the first few ambers. I would rather take two hits with the lower THC from less amber than get couch lock of heavy amber.
I’m with you on the cloudy with a touch of amber and I don’t think mine would’ve gotten any more amber if I had waited. CL🍀. :morenutes: :cheesygrinsmiley:

Malawi doesnt have a lot of buds but there all fat and dense. The Golden Tiger is the most unusual plant ive grown. Whispy like grass. The buds are coming along.

IMG_5797.jpeg

IMG_5796.jpeg

Golden tiger

IMG_5794.jpeg

IMG_5801.jpeg

On sativas you may need to use the old school method of watching pistols as well. They darken as the trics ripen. The trics can appear to stall but the pistols keep showing. When that happens wait for all but one or two pistols per bud to shift. So 98% brown, red, purple or whatever they shift to with 2% a pail color.

First time I ran Thai watching trics only, it flowered for 13 weeks and only ever hit 90% cloudy. Unbelievable couch lock. Couldn't lift my arm to take a drink. Pistols were right with indicating 9 weeks of flower.

On sativas you may need to use the old school method of watching pistols as well. They darken as the trics ripen. The trics can appear to stall but the pistols keep showing. When that happens wait for all but one or two pistols per bud to shift. So 98% brown, red, purple or whatever they shift to with 2% a pail color.

First time I ran Thai watching trics only, it flowered for 13 weeks and only ever hit 90% cloudy. Unbelievable couch lock. Couldn't lift my arm to take a drink. Pistols were right with indicating 9 weeks of flower.
Could you explain a little more. Are you saying not necessarily watch trichrome with lens but watch pistol colors? Thanks

Could you explain a little more. Are you saying not necessarily watch trichrome with lens but watch pistol colors? Thanks

@Sativa1970 does it literally like it was the 70's. most folk have moved on to either watching the trichs or a combination of checking them when they feel the plant has matured by the look of the pistils.

i normally don't even bother checking trichs until the majority of the plant indicates it is near completed judging by the pistils.

going by pistils alone doesn't always work as a plant can get over mature and lose both terps and potency when it does. the trichs you want to keep will become withered, non-potent, and detach and fall off if left long enough. normally it's not an issue as most growers have a tendency to pull the plants earlier rather than later.

hard core sativas can be harder to call as many never develop a lot of amber trichs, the majority may only get milky. in which case being able to judge maturity by the rest of the plant becomes more important.

@Sativa1970 does it literally like it was the 70's. most folk have moved on to either watching the trichs or a combination of checking them when they feel the plant has matured by the look of the pistils.

i normally don't even bother checking trichs until the majority of the plant indicates it is near completed judging by the pistils.

going by pistils alone doesn't always work as a plant can get over mature and lose both terps and potency when it does. the trichs you want to keep will become withered, non-potent, and detach and fall off if left long enough. normally it's not an issue as most growers have a tendency to pull the plants earlier rather than later.

hard core sativas can be harder to call as many never develop a lot of amber trichs, the majority may only get milky. in which case being able to judge maturity by the rest of the plant becomes more important.
I just tried my Malawi. Very nice buzz tasted almost fruity. Didnt get alot but fill a mason jar with nice buds.

No,
You can tell when a plant is ready by using trichs, pistols and calendars. Any one of those three can lie to you. In almost all plants trichs are the most reliable way to determine ripeness. Some sativa have trichs that are not reliable. Watch the calendar and the pistols to keep the trichs honest. Sometimes the calendar and the pistols say it is ripe, but trichs stopped changing. It's like kids that just got too quiet in the next room. You don't just listen harder then assume they took a nap. You stop what you are doing, check the time, smell for fire and then look in on them with your eyes. If any part of the plant stops growing, you check the growth calendar, environment, and then the rest of the plant.

Malawi always tastes like citrus mango to me. YUM.

Back
Top Bottom