Me & The Mars Hydro SP-3000: It's The Cherry On Top

I just bought clear solos and red off brand. Red offbrand are 16oz. Solo is 18oz. Is that what happened to you? Or did you do that intentionally? Cause I’m doing the same thing. Haha
Mine are both 12 oz. but 2 different brands so shaped a little differently. I just fill the soil in the clear cup to where the Red cup still covers it on the sides.

I'm going to post a couple of quick pics from yesterday to show the growth & root development. I've fed twice @ 2 gr. MC per gal. I think I overwatered the last feeding because the leaves got kind of puffy looking. They'll be fine in a day or two. I wish there were more roots as I like to up-pot at week 2. Still debating up-potting to 1 gal over the weekend. Wont be long till we clone these. Probably 2 weeks till they're big enough. Here's a few pics. These were taken yesterday at 11 days old.
16-58   5-25-22.JPG
16-59   5-25-22.JPG
16-60   5-25-22.JPG

Mine are both 12 oz. but 2 different brands so shaped a little differently. I just fill the soil in the clear cup to where the Red cup still covers it on the sides.
Right on. I have about a 1 inch lip. But I fill coco to the rim almost. Gotta use all that real estate. I’m going to buy actual solo bran 18oz cups later on today. See how they fit. But the idea was a snug fit at first lol. I have great drainage because it sits about an inch off the ground due to the cup being smaller lol. I guess it’s working. Never sprouted seeds in coco before. People tell me it’s impossible. But I’m having 0 issues

Right on. I have about a 1 inch lip. But I fill coco to the rim almost. Gotta use all that real estate. I’m going to buy actual solo bran 18oz cups later on today. See how they fit. But the idea was a snug fit at first lol. I have great drainage because it sits about an inch off the ground due to the cup being smaller lol. I guess it’s working. Never sprouted seeds in coco before. People tell me it’s impossible. But I’m having 0 issues
I only fill it that high so no roots get light on them. Not about using up the real estate. Roots don't like light.

Looking good Buds, roots are looking really nice. FYI, I use 4" nursery pots instead of solo cups. They're about the same width but about 1/2 as tall. I like that the tap root hits bottom earlier, I feel it gives me more lateral growth early compared to the solo cups. It also takes less water to saturate (120-150ml) and less time for the plant to drink all the water. Of course I can't see the root development, but they seem to develop anyways ;) My $.02.

Looking good Buds, roots are looking really nice. FYI, I use 4" nursery pots instead of solo cups. They're about the same width but about 1/2 as tall. I like that the tap root hits bottom earlier, I feel it gives me more lateral growth early compared to the solo cups. It also takes less water to saturate (120-150ml) and less time for the plant to drink all the water. Of course I can't see the root development, but they seem to develop anyways ;) My $.02.

Yeah, I imagine the shorter pot would make a good root ball faster & be ready to up-pot sooner. I have a hard time watering in a Solo cup because it's too small.... lol. I'd probably drown my plants in the pots you use. I'm fine once I get to the 1 gal. or bigger. We all have our little niche that works for us.
As you can see... mine is trying different things to see how it turns out or how it works in general. I'm thinking I'll keep 2 Cherry on Top & Top 1 of them once & the other Top in 5 places, LST & see which one produces a bigger yield with the same amount of Veg time.

I only fill it that high so no roots get light on them. Not about using up the real estate. Roots don't like light.
My roots have never got to the top half inch or so. So that’s why I figured it would be okay to just run it. Yeah for sure Don’t want roots getting any light. But you definitely wanna use up the entire container if you can. But hey. Your growing beautiful. Your style is great! Keep it up bro.

Bought another Mars Hydro TSL2000 today. Being shipped from MI. Picked up a bag of FFOF for up-potting. Then I decided to make me a Bigger & Badder Cloner.... lol. Bought a 10 gal. tote, 600 gal. per hour pump, 25' of hose & 12 new clone collars. I'll post some pics when I make it this weekend.

Bought another Mars Hydro TSL2000 today. Being shipped from MI. Picked up a bag of FFOF for up-potting. Then I decided to make me a Bigger & Badder Cloner.... lol. Bought a 10 gal. tote, 600 gal. per hour pump, 25' of hose & 12 new clone collars. I'll post some pics when I make it this weekend.
I’m gonna get one for my 2x4 this weekend or next. Lights are perfect man

Hey @Bill284 , here's the pics I was talking to you about. Notice how light green the SoHum Plant is, compared to the 2 MC plants ?
Hey Buds :ciao: Good morning.
Big plans this weekend?
Those pictures didn't load.:oops:
But a quick question.
You say 2 are MC and one Sohum?
What soil is in the MC plants?
Could it be a lighter soil that dries quicker?
Then when you water everyone at the same time the Sohum soil is overwatered just slightly.
Enough to show a color difference at least?
Just a thought, where are pics?:rofl:
Talk soon.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill

Hey Buds :ciao: Good morning.
Big plans this weekend?
Those pictures didn't load.:oops:
But a quick question.
You say 2 are MC and one Sohum?
What soil is in the MC plants?
Could it be a lighter soil that dries quicker?
Then when you water everyone at the same time the Sohum soil is overwatered just slightly.
Enough to show a color difference at least?
Just a thought, where are pics?:rofl:
Talk soon.

Stay safe :cool:
Bill
Got it figured out. Pics are in the Testing Journal. I just re-read the SoHum bag & even though it says water only, at the bottom it says "Only add fertility if deficiencies are observed". She's definitely hungry.... No doubt about it. I wont be spending $51 on a bag of this soil again.

Ok, the girls are 2 weeks old today so they got up-potted to 1 gal. pots. Actually, I did 3 last night & 3 this morning. But I consider 2 weeks old the end of the seedling stage & Day 1 of Veg. Soil was really dry & crumbled when I released them from the Solo Cups. Ended up with only 1/2 the soil that was in the cup when I started. But the 3 from last night look good today so I guess things are fine & dandy. Here's a pic of one of them when I started. Not a lot of roots to hold the soil together so it was kind of loose as you can see in the 4th pic.
16-61   5-28-22.JPG
16-62   5-28-22.JPG
16-63   5-28-22.JPG
16-64   5-28-22.JPG

Here's a pic of all 6 up-potted. Can you tell which ones I did last night & which ones I did today ?
16-65   5-28-22.JPG

Ones I up-potted last night. They seem to be perking up & look like they've almost doubled in size overnight.
16-66   5-28-22.JPG
16-67   5-28-22.JPG

And these 3 are from this morning. Yes, they are droopy as all get up. The other 3 were like this last night.
16-68   5-28-22.JPG
16-69   5-28-22.JPG

After they all got up-potted I fed each one about 12 oz. of 3 gr. per gallon MC. Tomorrow I will remove the bottom 2 nodes on all 6 plants. No need wasting plant energy on nodes I'm not going to keep.

Well Chit ! I'm in the process of making a bigger bubble cloner. I ordered a set of the bits that drill large round holes. Grabbed the 2" & the clone collar fit in the saw hole bit perfect. So I drilled the hole. Clone Collar fell right through. I think I should have used a 1-7/8" bit. Unfortunately, this set doesn't have that size. I ended up drilling the rest of the holes 1-3/4" & now have to use snips, files & sandpaper to finish the holes so the Collars will fit. PITA!
Anyway, it's a 10 gal. tote, 600 GPH Air Pump & 6 - 2" Air stones if it all works out. 18 sites with one of them being too big. I'll post some pics when I finish it along with a quick update.

I guess I kind of slacked yesterday. I got all the holes cut out, but only have 11 out of 18 sanded & ready to go. Not having the right size Hole Saw Bit made this a lot more work. But between Snips, a Razor Blade & Sandpaper it's coming out OK. I don't really need it for a couple of weeks so no big hurry.

Anyway, just posting a couple of pics to show the plants are doing good since the up-pot a couple of days ago.
One of them still has the overwatered look to it. The rest all look good.
16-70   5-30-22.JPG
16-71   5-30-22.JPG

looks good hope you don't mind if I jump in every once in a while??
Feel Free to jump in anytime. The more the merrier. Haven't really talked to you before. Have you been growing very long ? I've been at it for 5 years now & still trying out different things. Just about every grow I try different things. It's helped me to narrow down a few things on how I want to grow. Especially with lights. I've tried at least 20 different lights over the 5 years & I like Mars Hydro the best out of all of them. Also tried about 7-8 different nutrients. Seems like they are all about the same other than the price & number of bottles you use. I like Mega Crop with Cal-Mag & Silica added so I'm going to stick with that. Cheapest way I found & I still get the same results. Right now I'm making a new Bubble Cloner that I'll use during this grow. I'll post pics of it when I get it finished & how to make one. I've had 99.9% success using the small one I made. I don't think there's a better or easier way to successfully clone. I have to thank @Emilya for the Bubble Cloner Tutorial.

I use an SP250 in my 2x4 tent and use 2 SP3000 in my 4x4 tent, I use a Quantum Bad Boy 8 tube for clones and some vegging along with a 600w MH. I put the new clones just outside the direct light of the Bad Boy. I use a 4" AC Infinity in the 2X4 tent and a 6" AC Infinity in the 4X4 tent, I do all the cloning and vegging outside the tents. Because of the high heat and humidity where I live I have to be careful with the strains when growing in the summers, I mainly grow sativa strains in dirt FFOF. I use air pots from start to finish but start the clones and seeds using Fox Farms Light Warrior in the smallest air pots, then repot to 1 gal, then 2 gal, then 7 gal. I quit using solo cups several years ago because I am too clumsy and have a hard time getting the dirt out without it all falling apart. I long for the day when I can grow outside again like I could when I was young and stupid and lived in the country.

I have used T5 & MH/HPS before but gave them up & went all LED. One 150 watt LED dimmed down low for Cloning & Germination. I'm running 3 rooms more or less. I'm running a 4x8 tent that I really only use 4x6 of for growing & the rest of the space for Humidifier, Dehumidifier & AC in case I need them. I also have a 5x7 Grow Room built in my shed & the 2x4 tent in this journal. After this grow is over I plan to switch all my lights around to suit my needs better. Putting 2 TSL2000's & 1 SP3000 in the 4x8. The 2x4 will get my 2 TS1000's. The Shed will get the other lights that I plan to replace with Mars lights also. As far as Cloning goes. Wherever I'm Vegging at the time is where I Clone. I don't really worry about Low RH at all. Only time I'm concerned with the RH is when I'm in Flower & it gets over 65%. But I'm in AZ. so High Humidity isn't the norm here. Hot & Dry.
Wish I could grow outside. I'd have to live in the country to do that. I think someone would steal the plants the first day they were out there. I've never tried Air Pots as of yet. I need to put that on my list of things to try. You got anything growing now ?

I use an SP250 in my 2x4 tent and use 2 SP3000 in my 4x4 tent, I use a Quantum Bad Boy 8 tube for clones and some vegging along with a 600w MH. I put the new clones just outside the direct light of the Bad Boy. I use a 4" AC Infinity in the 2X4 tent and a 6" AC Infinity in the 4X4 tent, I do all the cloning and vegging outside the tents. Because of the high heat and humidity where I live I have to be careful with the strains when growing in the summers, I mainly grow sativa strains in dirt FFOF. I use air pots from start to finish but start the clones and seeds using Fox Farms Light Warrior in the smallest air pots, then repot to 1 gal, then 2 gal, then 7 gal. I quit using solo cups several years ago because I am too clumsy and have a hard time getting the dirt out without it all falling apart. I long for the day when I can grow outside again like I could when I was young and stupid and lived in the country.

I have used T5 & MH/HPS before but gave them up & went all LED. One 150 watt LED dimmed down low for Cloning & Germination. I'm running 3 rooms more or less. I'm running a 4x8 tent that I really only use 4x6 of for growing & the rest of the space for Humidifier, Dehumidifier & AC in case I need them. I also have a 5x7 Grow Room built in my shed & the 2x4 tent in this journal. After this grow is over I plan to switch all my lights around to suit my needs better. Putting 2 TSL2000's & 1 SP3000 in the 4x8. The 2x4 will get my 2 TS1000's. The Shed will get the other lights that I plan to replace with Mars lights also. As far as Cloning goes. Wherever I'm Vegging at the time is where I Clone. I don't really worry about Low RH at all. Only time I'm concerned with the RH is when I'm in Flower & it gets over 65%. But I'm in AZ. so High Humidity isn't the norm here. Hot & Dry.
Wish I could grow outside. I'd have to live in the country to do that. I think someone would steal the plants the first day they were out there. I've never tried Air Pots as of yet. I need to put that on my list of things to try. You got anything growing now ?
Bruce Banner at present but fixing to pop a African Princess in the next day or two. I have two partial underground rooms one is 15X15 that's like a jungle inside with tomato vines, wild ferns, herbs and some flowers, I do have a good many home type residential LED like fixtures mounted in this room along with the Bad Boy and the 600W HPS/MH and the other is 15X20 that is used for my 4X4 tent and Dab Press and other tool boxes for the collection of tools that I have gathered over the years. I am never under a time line with my growing, so I tend to veg much longer than many folks.

Back
Top Bottom