Munki's "Al Naturale" Autoflower Outdoor Escursion - 2011

Thanks guys. I'll just continue to follow the least effort mantra as you all suggest and keep an eye out for those worms.

When I harvest, I was going to chop then hang her but are you suggesting that I knock out the dirt from the root ball then hang that?

Nice grow. There's no way I'd attempt to grow out side around here. It would get ripped off befor I knew it.

I was thrilled to be able to do this grow. I realize this is not a possibility for all unfortunately.

Thanks guys. I'll just continue

Just continue to do as well as you have since day one here, lol. You seem to have the gift of common sense. In fact, the only less than awesome thing that I can even think of is... was it you that had an adventure with some wilting fan leaves and sticky buds;)? And - if that was you - I'm sure you learned from that like you learn from everything. Was like you hit the ground running... and then proceeded to speed up:).

When I harvest, I was going to chop then hang her but are you suggesting that I knock out the dirt from the root ball then hang that?

Well... No, I wasn't seriously suggesting it. Just heard a while back about someone intending to do it "one of these days" and it got me to wondering. I'd just cut off her feet and hoist her up by her ankles since it's a pretty compact plant (after removing the fans a day or three beforehand). Forgive me for leaving it out there to begin with.

I was thrilled to be able to do this grow. I realize this is not a possibility for all unfortunately.

We were thrilled that you shared it with us.

And I don't remember the exact size of the pot for scale, but it appears to be no larger than an average houseplant (and smaller than some) - you've shown how easy it is to grow an AF (mostly) outdoors. I suspect that you have convinced at least a few to consider them. Easier than severely training a plant so that it doesn't stand above the corn in the garden - and then sweating bullets when the corn is done first, lol.

How strong is the smell?

Lookin awesome Munki!

Hows that RO water doing for you btw? My pet-shop also carries that vs. their straight filtered PH balanced water. Guy couldn't really give much information on it. Maybe a journal I've overlooked..?

Can you change to RO in the same Pot that's been watered with regular water, or kinda like a motor engine oil change, stick to one or the other?? Thanks man, keep up the awesome work! I hope my AF comes out half as decent! :peace:

I would at least trim the yellow portions of the leaves.

If you feel that your soil still has some nutrients left in it, water would be fine. Otherwise, perhaps a light (¼-strength) feed now might not be a bad idea.

I would question the two-day dark period at the end. It would seem that time and light turns trichomes amber more than time and dark - although the jury is definitely still out and there are plenty of proponents in both camps. But as long as it is able to use the light-energy to add both more trichomes (and mature the ones that it already has) and weight...

The jury also still seems to be out (somewhat) on how dry to allow the soil to get at the end. It would seem that doing so would tend to allow for less water-weight at harvest time, but as to whether it affects the flavor of the bud in any way, IDK.

Speaking of harvest time, are you going to cut and hang the buds, the plant as a whole, or even try to pull it roots and all? The more you include, the longer the dry and (I would think) the greater chance that more of the chlorophyll/etc. will break down to enhance flavor. Kind of a combination dry and preliminary cure.

Guess you might be growing another AF or two next year? If so, maybe you'll keep track of everything you do / have done this time and change a thing or two next time in order to see what difference (if any) it makes.

I'll be interested in learning how rootbound she is at the end.

All good stuff to learn; didnt think about hanging the whole plant

Whats good Monki!!!
Hey man I was linked here by Frat!!! He sent me the link because of the issue I am having with one of my ladies, I just picked up some clones last saturday and 1 of the strains is Blackberry Kush, it had a serious Nitrogen deficiency and it is starting to come out of it, but they had Purple on the edges and they have gotten darker now, I think that it was in flower already when they took the clone, there is a flower in the middle of the whole thing, but it is very very very tiny. so just wondering, have you figured it out on yours yet??? here is a pic of mine...
BK42.JPG

i was told by my sponsor that it usually has a phosphorus deficiency... well im here now so i will be checkin you out also!!! I gotta go all the way to the beginning now!!

:peacetwo:

Whats good Monki!!!
Hey man I was linked here by Frat!!! He sent me the link because of the issue I am having with one of my ladies, I just picked up some clones last saturday and 1 of the strains is Blackberry Kush, it had a serious Nitrogen deficiency and it is starting to come out of it, but they had Purple on the edges and they have gotten darker now, I think that it was in flower already when they took the clone, there is a flower in the middle of the whole thing, but it is very very very tiny. so just wondering, have you figured it out on yours yet??? here is a pic of mine...
BK42.JPG

i was told by my sponsor that it usually has a phosphorus deficiency... well im here now so i will be checkin you out also!!! I gotta go all the way to the beginning now!!

:peacetwo:

I think my purpling was from leaf stress as they are old now. I also put the plant which was used to sunlight under LED panels for long periods time. Since the light does not move like the sun, the same leaf surfaces got light for a long time. That is my guess. Not sure what is the cause of yours. Sorry I couldn't be more help. See if the purpling continues on new leaves as they grow out.

Lookin awesome Munki!

Hows that RO water doing for you btw? My pet-shop also carries that vs. their straight filtered PH balanced water. Guy couldn't really give much information on it. Maybe a journal I've overlooked..?

Can you change to RO in the same Pot that's been watered with regular water, or kinda like a motor engine oil change, stick to one or the other?? Thanks man, keep up the awesome work! I hope my AF comes out half as decent! :peace:

RO water is Reverse Osmosis water. Basically, a method of preparing water to be low of dissolved solids. Compare it to distilled water. Water can hold only so much stuff dissolved in it. By having "empty" (of solutes) water, we can then add nutrients to it and know what it in the water. Often times, regular tap water has too much calcium (hard water) that will bind (or lock) some of the nutrients up, keeping them away from the plants.

If you add nutrients to water, you will want a source of RO or some other source of low TDS (total dissolved solids) water. You will need to pH adjust it in the end and that pH number is different depending if you do hydro or soil so I would not recommend getting the pH balanced water from the store.

I buy water from the water store who has a big RO water filter on the city's main water lines. Get it for 25 cents per gallon.

:goodluck:

AF would be great to plant in the garden.. I think I'll have to do that next season. Im sure you could get a few grows without anyone noticing. I'd better stock up.

Yeah, go for it. Maybe plant it with some marigolds and chrysanthemums for plant defenses.

Just continue to do as well as you have since day one here, lol. You seem to have the gift of common sense. In fact, the only less than awesome thing that I can even think of is... was it you that had an adventure with some wilting fan leaves and sticky buds;)? And - if that was you - I'm sure you learned from that like you learn from everything. Was like you hit the ground running... and then proceeded to speed up:).

I don't know if that was me ... at least not recently.

Well... No, I wasn't seriously suggesting it. Just heard a while back about someone intending to do it "one of these days" and it got me to wondering. I'd just cut off her feet and hoist her up by her ankles since it's a pretty compact plant (after removing the fans a day or three beforehand). Forgive me for leaving it out there to begin with.

No problem. I'm sure there are examples in history when a preposterous idea was bandied about with a chuckle only to be later considered to be the de facto way of doing something.

I'll just cut her at the base and hang her this time though!

And I don't remember the exact size of the pot for scale, but it appears to be no larger than an average houseplant (and smaller than some) - you've shown how easy it is to grow an AF (mostly) outdoors. I suspect that you have convinced at least a few to consider them. Easier than severely training a plant so that it doesn't stand above the corn in the garden - and then sweating bullets when the corn is done first, lol.

How strong is the smell?

True that. I've seen many AFs grow to branch out and get big but usually that entailed the grower to do a lot of manipulation. The no fuss characteristics with this plant are quite alluring once a grower has a few grows under their belt. It is to me.

Plant smells great but is not strong just out in the open air. Need to rub it to get the smell going stronger. Indoor grows allow for smells to accumulate easier. Its small size just does not lend to strong odor creation.

Day 64, afternoon. Looking forward to some sunnier days for the next week, so she will be spending more time out there. She was in the tent again this morning. Leaves are all losing their green color and going to yellow. Her aging is accelerating. Checked a sugar leaf under the scope, but the trich heads are nearly all clear. This was the predicted harvest date, but she will stay out there for a while longer.

081511-pic1.JPG
081511-pic5.JPG

Here, you can see a bit of bud and leaf death/damage. I think it had to do with that worm.

081511-pic2.JPG

081511-pic3.JPG
081511-pic4.JPG

They're clear because they're new? Looks frostier now, nice.

Plant looks like she'll die within days yet the resin looked like little magnifying lenses. Let's see how she looks next week.

Very cool! :thumb:

Might have to try Autos one of these days.

:)

Sent from my iPod touch using Forum Runner

Right on, thanks for checking out the grow on your phone! :idea:

Share the grow here at 420 magazine with a journal ... if so inclined. ;)

Day 66, afternoon. She continues to get more crystals each passing day while the leaf color fades to light green/yellow.

A couple of areas got affected by the worm and died on the vine so to speak. I broke of a budlet with my fingers. I was dry and sparkly, so I had my wife sample it. It smells very fruity but tastes more skunky. High was balanced for her; not all zoned out, not all paranoid. Makes mindless TV enjoyable to watch. She very much approved of this initial sample. :yummy:

081711-pic1.JPG
081711-pic2.JPG
081711-pic3.JPG
081711-pic4.JPG

Dammit, I'm getting this AF bug now. I blame you Munki :thanks:

I'm considering finding some Iranian AF's - supposed to be *wicked* good yielders and very medicinal, only found this reference on 420.

Wife wants better programming on TV?
Gets herself a bud of that stuff, from Munki :thanks:

Heh. She sometimes thinks my weed is too strong and some strains from the clubs too mentally retarding, so this struck a nice balance.

Hi Munki -

good sign that the wife approved of the sample. Bummer about the worm damage, but she sure is looking frostier all the time. Nice summer project! :)

I highly recommend it. Even if the plant was lost, it would not be too big a deal. I wouldn't have had spent hundreds of dollars on electricity, water, and nutes like in an indoor grow.

Dammit, I'm getting this AF bug now. I blame you Munki :thanks:

I'm considering finding some Iranian AF's - supposed to be *wicked* good yielders and very medicinal, only found this reference on 420.

Saw those. Pretty amazing. Just worried a bit for molds in such a large bud like those. If the conditions are dry enough, then they would be amazing.

Got a question for y'all. I've seen this bug every once in a while over the past few weeks. Wondering if they are doing damage to my plant. I think they are fruit flies. Did some reading and I would think they would just be a bit of a nuisance without doing true damage. We do have an orange tree in the back yard where the fruit falls and rots sometimes.

081811-pic1.JPG

Back
Top Bottom