Newbie First Grow - Outdoors - Bag Seeds

I am so glad to hear the turtle is getting treats. It's natures way, the food chain...you're just helping it along a little. :laugh:

I used the DE as a spray and it got right in next to the buds, considering the effect it had on bugs with my outdoor plants compared to last years' hell, I would say it was a huge impact on them.
If you want to make a spray, read the instructions on the bag for a dilution of it. Keep it shook up in the sprayer while you apply it or it will all settle to the bottom. Also use a good garden sprayer, not the cheapy ones because they clog up really easy. After you spray the DE dries up and that's when it becomes effective. Those little snails will have to crawl across it at some point, and they will eventually die.

In the meantime, pick them off as you find them to help break the cycle. Sooner or later you will have gotten all of the ones that were there previous to your plan of attack on the entryways.

:circle-of-love:

LilRed, are you safe there? Do they have mandatory evacuations where you are?

They have not included my area but 35 mins north east of me is being evacuated. About 500k are in the evacuation zone. As of 930 this morning only 175k have evacuated.

What I hear from the natives is they are waiting to see. This is my first hurricane as I have only been down here 5 years. In DC we don't get hit like that.

We are expecting heavy winds and about 6 inches of rain.

My house sits up high and survived the last flooding we had. No issues at all....so I have ordered all the kids home and they complied....everyone arrived last night by 9 pm. They can decide sunday if they want to go home.

So much to learn....so many journals to follow

We tied all the babies up....here are pics before the storm. Note plant 2 and 3. I did not defoliate any of these plants. The snails did it.

420-magazine-mobile88362635.jpg

Plant 2
420-magazine-mobile557316388.jpg

Plant 3
420-magazine-mobile1745250770.jpg

Plant 4
420-magazine-mobile462582894.jpg

Plant 5
420-magazine-mobile2146856542.jpg

I found this on plant 1.....are these pollen sacs
420-magazine-mobile2100809372.jpg
420-magazine-mobile296353427.jpg

Also plant 1....here is the stem where we lost to branches in the last storm....should I be worried
420-magazine-mobile216249291.jpg

Lilred, that is a male! Yes, those are pollen sacs and you need to get rid of that or all of your girls are going to get pollinated, especially with the wind you are about to get hit with!

You may already have some pollinated, some of those balls opened up already. Be careful when you remove it from the area. Put a big trash bag over it to keep any more pollen from spreading around before and after you remove it.

It appears it hermied on you, from female to male. Regardless of how it turned male, get 'r gone to save your buds. :circle-of-love:

Lilred, that is a male! Yes, those are pollen sacs and you need to get rid of that or all of your girls are going to get pollinated, especially with the wind you are about to get hit with!

You may already have some pollinated, some of those balls opened up already. Be careful when you remove it from the area. Put a big trash bag over it to keep any more pollen from spreading around before and after you remove it.

It appears it hermied on you, from female to male. Regardless of how it turned male, get 'r gone to save your buds. :circle-of-love:
This plant has been thru hell....split once when young....dug up and replanted...then lost two branches in the last storm. I cked for more bananas and did not see anymore.....but I guess I will pull her all together. What is that black stuff on her trunk

This plant has been thru hell....split once when young....dug up and replanted...then lost two branches in the last storm. I cked for more bananas and did not see anymore.....but I guess I will pull her all together. What is that black stuff on her trunk

Keep in mind, it's not a "her" anymore. It will grow more of those balls, and if some have opened up you've got pollen on the leaves and many other places. You are going to have to destroy it. It's hard, I know it's been through hell...but if you want to save the rest of your harvest it's a must.

I'm not sure what the black stuff is. I haven't looked that close at the pic yet.

The stress it's been through is a good likely cause of it turning hermaphrodite on you.

Btw, Bananas on their own are what a female will put out if she has gone way over her flower time without being pollinated. She will grow Bananas and they open up and spill pollen on her buds. It's a self survival tactic to be sure she gets pollinated.

Hermaphrodite is different, the plant actually turns into a male due to stress factors etc., and grows male "balls". Which is what you have there. Inside those "balls" are bananas that release the pollen.

This autopounder did not get attacked much. This was my first time at growing autos and she got stunted from.the start. I know I should have never started her in a solo cup but I tried it...then I did not plant her in the ground til way after 20 days....topped her at about 28 days...way too late and she barely grew.....but I might get 4 or 5 grams off her. She is going in jars today.

She was my little runt that I just let do her thing....I pulled her before the storm cuz I did not think she would make it thru.

We just lost cable...Internet and home phone. We still have power and before we lost tv the last report 30 mins ago has the eye about 2 hrs south of me. The wind gusts are up to 40mph now......they say the flooding has already started. I won't be able to see anything til the sun comes up.

We are safe....we have power....although it had flickered twice.....the tubs are full of water....I have smoke...he has chew...the kids have food.....and we are all together as a family.

This is my first hurricane....so Matthew popped my cherry.

I just feel so good knowing I have eyes and hands on all my kids....I feel good having them here.

I won't be able to check on the plants until later today.....my fella has a f250 white boy truck so he can drive me thru the flooded streets to go look at my girls.

Glad you are prepared our friend. :)

Be careful, don't go out there checking on plants unless that wind has gone. The danger is falling trees and downed lines. You just never know if you have a weak tree that may only take a good gust to topple it.

See you when it's over! I am heading for three long days of work, so I'll try to pop in when I can.

Back
Top Bottom