My 2nd 1st Attempt - Bubble Bucket Grow

Roots look great!

Dont freak out that they aren't white like the computer screen. Its totally normal for roots to become discoloured when growing in DWC.

As long as your growth looks healthy, theres no need to panic about whats going on under the bucket lid!

I just posted about this to another members journal, let me paste it to here:

"What people need to understand, is your roots are submerged in nutrient solution for months on end.

Heres a good example of why your roots get stained.

mix up your normal nutrient mixture, but mix for an extra litre. Take that extra litre out, and sit it on the counter for a week air stone or not it doesn't matter.

Come back a week later and pour out the nutrient solution. You will notice a darker coloured film on the inside of your bucket. This is the nutrient stain.

My nutrient solution looks like Soy sauce in the bucket. I use Floralicious Plus which looks darker than soy sauce (its possible!) as well as FloraBlend which is also very dark in colour

You could rinse your roots off with water (i used to do this with my WW) but i found that the darkening of the roots were natural, due to staining as well as roots air pruning.

This rinsing off the roots just wastes time you could spend playing with your son or daughter or smoking a fat joint and watching the game on TV or whatever it is you do!"

There it is. I suggest everyone to do an experiment like this.. It will really put people at ease when they see roots looking off white in colour. Most people freak out and start trying to remedy the situation, when nothing could be wrong in the first place, and they go creating a problem where there was not one before!

Ya I always save 3 gallons of pretreated water. After a day or 2 the ancient earth drops out and looks like a brown black ring at the bottom. I never worry about root color, I do try to let people know why my roots are not all crispy white. Ya I am reading back in my journal and LOL I took advice from someone that has no grow journals here about AN ancient earth and I keep reading and find that my water got fuked up right as I took his advice lol. I was trying to be open minded and screwed up weeks of my own grow by discontinuing ancient earth something I have used for 3 years. I changed my water on bucket #2 last water change before switching to bloom. In this order I mixed 2.5 gallons of water with 10ml AN ancient earth and bubbled for an hour. Then I add GH armorsi at 2ml total. GH calimagic 4ml, Botanicare aquashield 22ml, Plant Success orca 2.5ml, AN micro 20ml, AN grow 20ml, AN bloom 25ml. Ph'd this after a good mixing and bubbled for an hour the PH was @5.5 ( little to much ancient earth this time) so I added more GH armorsi 2ml. its at @5.8. y ebay seller finally broke down and offered a replacement or a refund on my meter.

Woot! I stopped the mailman and sure enough the dude had my PH meter on the truck still even though the tracking number said delivered Friday. SO ya for me I got my waterproof PH meter today and bought some distilled water and ph'd at 6.8 in a 7.0 solution. Does that mean my solutions is off or is a 7.0 solution now reading at 6.8? anyone know?

The good with the bad my other ebay seller refunds my money "out of stock"
12653.jpg

Day 70 Bucket#2 bagseed, Day 56 Bucket#3 LSD barneys farm, Day 15 dirt pot sexing (still unknown). Bucket#2 is still exploding with tops and growth everywhere. Its new nutrients at 1500PPm have been holding strong for 2 days no burns PH is stable at 5.8. I will switch to bloom Friday. New lights are now reporting as in the mail and will be here Saturday. Bucket#3 I changed the water finally its been over 14 days and it was living off of the leftover nutrient water from bucket #1 and #2 it finally got weak and I saw some small lighter streaks yesterday in the leaf structure. It is actually growing huge and healthy, fat leaves very green and lots of side growth. I was reading anitcs led grow and someone mentioned that led from seed can sometimes cause a problem like selftoping the seedling, which is exactly what happened to my plant causing it to fall almost a full month behind in growth. I think I'll be using my T5 or cfl or both to sprout seeds from now on. ANyway Ph is 5.8(thank god my ph pen showed up finally). My water change included in this order. 2.25 gallons of tap water with 8ml of AN ancient earth this sat overnight from yesterday. GH armorsi 3ml, GH calimagic 5ml, botanicare aquashield 16ml, Plant Success orca 2.5ml, AN micro 22ml, AN grow 16ml, AN bloom 15ml. I will probably give the LSD 2 more weeks and then start bloom cycle. I reordered sector seven 7 led glasses and so I am waiting on that plus a free scale and my overdue led lights. Pics later.

Woot! I stopped the mailman and sure enough the dude had my PH meter on the truck still even though the tracking number said delivered Friday. SO ya for me I got my waterproof PH meter today and bought some distilled water and ph'd at 6.8 in a 7.0 solution. Does that mean my solutions is off or is a 7.0 solution now reading at 6.8? anyone know?

Distilled water doesn't read 7.0.. same with RO water.

In fact it is quite hard to actually find "pure" water with a neutral PH of 7.0

Calibrate your PH pen in PH 7.0 calibration solution. Even if the pen was calibrated in factory before shipping, its always good to double check your readings are correct.

Test your water again, and chances are it wont read 7.0, but probably pretty damn close!

>>> led from seed can sometimes cause a problem like selftoping the seedling

This isn't because of LED.. this is strain dependent. Means that you just happened to get one of the mutant seeds in the batch. I have the same thing with one of my White widow plants from last grow. It got pollinated by a Great White Shark that went hermaphroditic and the seeds produced actually carried this "self-topping" trait into the new plants.

>>> 2.25 gallons of tap water with 8ml of AN ancient earth this sat overnight from yesterday.

Next time, just leave the tap water out overnight to evaporate the chlorine from the water, then add your Ancient Earth after you add your nutrient mixture. Have you tried adding it last? reading up on Ancient earth, it seems like it might be more beneficial to add after your fertilizers. Similar to how i add my humic supplement after my fertilizer regiment, i find that its more effective

>>> plus a free scale

Free stuff is awesome!

new growth is looking a little light in colour, no? Especially on the LSD.. perhaps in next reservoir change, up the amount of Nitrogen your plants are getting..

Also i read back.. you need to add more Calimagic or Cal/mag or whatever you are using. you should be adding 5ml per gallon at least when growing under LED

I tried ancient earth in lot of ways, but with my super hard water it acts like a conditioner of a sorts. At least for me adding 8-10ml makes it so that when I am done adding nutrients its always in hydro range 5.5-6.5. So like this last water change today it ph'd at 6.3 before adjusting. it only required a small amount of down and I was all good. Much better than in the old days when I added tons of acid to the water. In a sense ancient earth is PH down as its pretty much humic/fumic acid. O ya I ddi calibrate in GH 7.0 buffer but it calibrated to 6.8 in the 7.0 solution. what gives?

Ya the water was changed today on the LSD and the water was changed 2 days ago on the bagseed. So far growth is great I just let the water run longer as a was being lazy and trying to wait out the new lights before a water change. let it run 14 days instead of 7. So Saturday is supposed to be the delivery day and bloom start Friday this week on bucket2

>>> O ya I ddi calibrate in GH 7.0 buffer but it calibrated to 6.8 in the 7.0 solution. what gives?

You need to adjust the reading manually. The calibration solution doesnt calibrate the meter. its simply a solution that reads 7.0 on a properly calibrated PH pen.

If its digital, theres usually a "calibrate" button on the Pen that when you hit it, the solution in the cup that is 7.0, will make your probe read 7.0, and your meter will be calibrated and ready to read correctly.

For me, i have found that digital PH pens are very finicky. I have a Milwaukee brand PH and PPM pen that use a tiny slotted screw driver to adjust the reading manually. This way if its ever off when i calibrate my pens every 2 weeks, i can easily readjust it to the proper calibration.

Well finally I got a fedex email saying my lights are on there way so tonight I'll reset the lights to off at 12 midnight and on at 12 noon. So today will be 15 hours of light since the lights came on at 9am. Tomorrow bucket#2 will be in day 1 of bloom, and the 2 week wait to see sex is on. I'll be placing the dirt potted plant in the same room and move the LSD out to my makeshift veg area. More good news my seeds made it here in less than a week, that was fast. Thank You British Royal Mail. Pics
IMG_32844.JPG
IMG_32837.JPG

Back
Top Bottom