My 2nd 1st Attempt - Bubble Bucket Grow

End of day 103 bloom 32 days on bucket#2 bagseed. Just some random bud shts thought it may be swelling a
IMG_34746.JPG
IMG_34726.JPG
IMG_34705.JPG
IMG_34686.JPG
IMG_34643.JPG
IMG_34624.JPG
IMG_34611.JPG
IMG_34602.JPG
IMG_34591.JPG
little today so I added 1ml of atami bloombastic witch I will go full dosage friday and cut the big bud.

Ya I think (not sure) I had nutrient lock-out as my PPM went to 2000 and my PH was at 5.1 for a day or so last week. I hope thats all it was. BUT it may be pythium as my temp in the rezz are super high we had 81 degree weather yesterday here so its hot. The thing is I keep the max dose of aquashield in the water with benificials I cant see how I got pythium but it could be. I do have since last weeks disaster a whole new section of roots that appeared from the net pot they are only about 4 to 5 inches long but they are getting bigger than the original root ball and I see a second swelling of the buds so if it had a root problem it grew new roots for the last 7 days or soo. I am stull shooting for at least a half of a pound with 4 weeks to go got my fingers crossed this plant will make it.
You don't think those yellows are natural from the end of life signs?

not this early.

Yellowing doesn't usually start until you considerably lower the amount of N in your nutrient solution, and the plant pulls its reserves from its leaves. Thats when you see the yellowing. Usually the last 2-3 weeks of flower. But with your sativa dominant bagseed, you're probably looking at at least 5 more weeks of flower.

Well I'll flush it for half a day with PH'd water and aquashield+orca. Then go back in at 18ml of the 3part+ additives. I moved up to 6ml per of GH calimagic last time as I can't seem to get rid of the red in my stems. This plant definitely got locked and I guess my flush last week didn't get it all. I hate random seed its so hard to know what its supposed to do and look like and what nutrients its good with. Looks like the LSD which is 80% indica will end up a little bigger than the bagseed, which is nice because the yield and times are more predictable. Standard 8 weeks in bloom and its over.

Day 107 total day 37 bloom bagseed bucket#2. LSD starting to show some white hairs now. Changed out water and flushed bucket#2 before lights out. Did a transplant to final pot for the dirt plant.
IMG_34849.JPG
IMG_34836.JPG
IMG_34808.JPG
IMG_34794.JPG
IMG_34778.JPG
PICS

If you dont have a PPM meter.. no big deal you might be able to get away without it.

If you dont have a PH meter, you shouldn't attempt to grow cannabis at all!!

Hygrohybrid is a hack!! who the fuck charges people to watch your crappy youtube videos? Sure, he knows how to build a cool RDWC system, but that mega RDWC system killed his plants when he got a pythium outbreak and didn't use any Hydrguard to save his plants.

After that video.. i didn't see a lot from him. then he felt that he was so good that he needed to charge people a subscription fee to watch his lame videos.

If you guys want a great grower to follow and learn from, TheCapn was the man..

Unfortunately, he is no longer with us on 420 here, although i do know where he is currently blogging and i do speak with him daily. Some of this articles in the sub forums are still available such as his "Simple Hydroponics" top feed system known as "Capn-Style" in the hydroponic growing section on 420 here. He is my mentor, and i have learned many things about growing, disease, training, harvesting.. just about everything you could need to know! I will be continuing his growing style here on 420 in my own Journals, as well as blog tutorials in the future for people to learn from since his blogs were all deleted.

I agree and also disagree with midasone. While DWC is the easiest method of growing to set up, i find its the hardest to get control of and its the easiest to get out of control!

Water quality and especially water temperature are your enemies when growing in DWC. If using a top feed system like i use, temperature wont be so much of an issue as your roots aren't sitting submerged in water. You wont even need an airstone or air pump technically if you irrigate more than 6 times a day as the water returning to the reservoir aerates the water enough. But your roots dont sit in the water, so they receive oxygen from the air within and around the rockwool, so it really doesn't matter if you add air to your reservoir, unless you are using something like Gen Hydro's Floralicious Plus, then it is highly suggested to aerate your nutrient solution.

When you have your roots sitting in a nutrient solution that has no movement to it.. they will begin to take on the colour of the solution. You can simply rinse the roots off under cold water, but if you have a fully mature plant, that son of a bitch might be heavy as hell!! who wants to lift that sucker into a sink to spray off the roots? i sure as hell dont.

Thats DWC growers biggest issue. is how their roots look. Which is the whole reason why EVERYONE should stop growing in DWC buckets. Everyone freaks out so much.. " OMG one feeder root is discoloured. H2o2 rinse!! Plant is dying!! World is over!!"

I realised that keeping your roots pearly white will NEVER happen in DWC. the bottom roots will always be sitting in more concentrated solution as the metals in the nutrients will sink to the bottom. Thats why water movement is so important.. to keep the nutrient solution properly mixed.

If you DO WANT to do DWC growing, I would highly recommend doing it in an Recirculating DWC system. The constant movement of water will keep the temperatures down, also keeping the nutrients properly mixed in the reservoirs. Also having a larger amount of water in the system will make it take much longer for the water temperature to raise.

My Ultimate Hydro suggestion would to be buy a 2cu. ft. bag of rockwool grow cubes. They measure 1cmx1cmx1cm. They look like a crouton. No large blocks of rockwool! Get yourself a variety of pot sizes, from a small 4" round or square pot, all the way up to a 5gal round pot, or a 5.2gal SuperRoots AirPot like i (and TheCapn) grows in.

During veg, hand water everyday to waste. By that i mean, you dont re-use the water you just fed your plants. Toss it out.. give it to your house plants, spray it on your backyard. dump it over your fence into your neighbours yard and watch him wonder why one patch of grass or shrubs are growing way better than the rest haha.

Watering to waste, also known as drain to waste or whatever, is a great way to ensure that your plants are getting fresh nutrient supply each watering, not pH drifted, diliuted nutrient solution thats being recirculated. Your plants will grow faster and more lush in colour.
It sounds like it might be expensive, but in the end, its not really, as nutrients aren't all that expensive. When you buy the small bottles (why anyone would i dont know??) yea it gets expensive cause you have to replace them sooner. Thats why you buy in bulk (at least i do) so you get the best bang for your buck, plus it saves you trips to the grow store, and i cant speak for anyone else, but i know i ALWAYS come home with more than i planned when i visit the hydro store! Love that place!!

Top your plant early and top it often. This keeps it short and promotes lots of side branching. This will produce a large, even canopy, and keep your roots searching outwards so that it can support the big plant above the medium.

Every 2-3 weeks your plant should need to be transplanted up a pot size. Dont get stupid and skip a bunch of sizes. Like i did my first try. I went from 4" square pot straight to a 2gal round pot. This took too long for my roots to start to get root bound before a transplant. I then went straight into a 5.2 gal AirPot which again, was too big of a jump.

The more you transplant your plant, the bigger your root mass will be, and the bigger your plant up top will be. Big Roots, Big Fruits!

I would happily help anyone who wants to learn how to grow in a top feed system. You will have way better looking product. Let me show you an example if Hydrofun doesn't mind me posting a couple pictures!

This is some White Widow i just grew in a DWC bucket:
GEDC06722.JPG

Darker coloured, not much trichomes, overall, average looking.

This is the same WW, grown from clones off the above DWC plant, but grown in a top feed system with 2-6x daily irrigation:
GEDC06713.JPG

Notice how much lighter in colour these buds are. There is a considerably huge difference in the amount of trichomes on these buds. They smell better, they're much more dense. Overall, a high quality looking end product.

These two pictures alone should be enough for any grower to get their head out of the buckets and into some rockwool grow cubes!

I think Hygrohybrid was forced to make his content PPV or lose his channel because his videos kept getting flagged. But either way his videos helped me out greatly during my first grow. I followed his base nute recipe of keeping nutes between 400 - 600 . It worked great until i dropped ph and ppm pen into res. Now I did read a earlier post you mentioned Hydroguard. I just bought I quart of it. How do I use that stuff properly? Guess I need to find out about that tea stuff you mentioned. Research time.

>>> I think Hygrohybrid was forced to make his content PPV or lose his channel because his videos kept getting flagged.

They were flagged cause he's a hack telling people mediocre advice. people were tired of seeing the same old shit from him hearing the same old garbage. So they flagged him.. What he should do, is change his username and get back to the basics like he was originally good at. He's a smart guy, but i feel he's sold out A LOT!

>>> I followed his base nute recipe of keeping nutes between 400 - 600

Nutrient strength is strain dependent. i'm growing a variety of strains all being fed 800-1000ppm nutrient solution with no signs of stress.

>>> Now I did read a earlier post you mentioned Hydroguard. I just bought I quart of it. How do I use that stuff properly? Guess I need to find out about that tea stuff you mentioned. Research time.

Hydroguard (used to be called Aquashield) is some great stuff.. Dont listen to the bottle.. which i believe states 2ml per gallon as the max dosage. The intrawebs state that Botanicare's Hydroguard should be applied in the amounts of 5-10ml per gallon whereas Aquashield could be used up to 15ml per gallon.. i'm sure Hydroguard could go this high too..

Personally, i would not add it to your reservoir as per what the bottle states.. Use it during germination of new seeds, cutting of new clones as well as brewing it in beneficial tea. The bacteria need oxygen and food to survive, thats why we add molasses and an air stone when brewing tea, so the microbes can flourish and multiply. I have actually stopped using it in my reservoir, and use it strictly for the things i mentioned above.

I would gladly help you get into brewing beneficial tea for your plants.. I use it at least once a week on my plants and it helps keep the roots pearly white and rapidly uptaking nutrients.

I use aquashield at 15ml per gallon once a week and orca from plant success as well as carboload (which from the looks is just clear gelled sugar).

I've actually stopped adding the beneficials directly to the reservoir, as they tend to be destroyed by the synthetic fertilizers in the water reservoir..

I brew tea and pour it over the base of the stalk so that the roots crown can absorb as much of the beneficials as possible

I wonder if I can mix orca and aquashield together and pour it in the roots or would I need to water it down + ph it? i really dont need extra water in my rezz.

never mix any fertilizer or supplement in its undiluted form together with another fertilizer or supplement.

Always add to water and mix.

You can't fit 8oz of liquid going into your reservoir?

Thats all you need to pour over the base of your stalk.. 1 liter at the most.

No I can fit 8oz of water in but thats such a tiny amount of ORCA. Orca is 1.25ml per 2.5 gallons. I guess I am to lazy to figure out what I would need to mix into 8oz of water to get it right. I mostly am scared to dump what would probably be to strong of a mix into my roots then into my barely stable water. Since my buds are starting to really swell and the hairs are getting super red/brown I think after i did backbuilding on friday I will let it all rest and try to make it to the finish line. I am on my last line of nutrients to get some bud swell PH is running perfect and PPMs are good. I will be at the end of 6 weeks in 12/12 on friday this week. So I got anywhere from 2-4 weeks remaining. I am making water right now for the LSD bucket#3. I got preflower everywhere and the stretch has brought it to almost the same height as the bagseed. I think it has another week or a half week of stretch left. so it looks to be going to be almost the same height maybe a little taller. So I read the backbuilding thread, do I see the tops regrow where I cut it?

I believe bud backbuilding should be done at week 5 of flower, not before, like it seems you have done.

At this point in flowering, buds have grown to almost their full size, and just start to add girth. What backbuidling does is simply create buds that are more dense.

No you will not see new tops, that would mean your plant reverted back to vegetative state.

Just a word of advice.. no strain is done in 8 weeks.. My WW that was "done" in 8 weeks still needed to be flushed for at least a week,.

So all i'm saying, is your plant 95% isn't going to be ready at 8 weeks. Remember it takes up to a week for a plant to switch from vegetative growth to flowering growth as the reproductive hormones that are being released into the plant will change with the light schedule.

No I got backbuilding at week 5 and 2 days. That should be correct timing right? ANyway I went ahead and figure the amount I needed for 500ml bottle of water to drench my roots. I put in 2ml aquashield and 1/4ml Orca and ph'd it poured it over the base of the stalk. Hopefully that works. I'll post some pics in a few.

you need to add some food (molasses) for the bacteria to thrive and mulitply, and add an airstone to the bucket.. brew it like that for 30 hours then add it to the base of your stalk. After 24 hours, you will see microbial foam at the top of your water, thats how you know its working/ready for use.

What you are doing will help a bit, but using my suggestion will increase the effectiveness of your beneficial products, which will actually save you money from having to use them less!!

Back
Top Bottom