My First Grow

Ajmboarding

So the other weekend i found a couple seeds in my nug and got curious. I got ancy and did a little bit of research and germinated them in a glass of water for 2 days and a root ( or what ever) broke out of both seeds. With the 10 dollars i had (untill friday when i get paid) i got some Miracle-gro Sphagnum Peat Moss, put some in 2 plastic cups and put the seeds in, root up, about an inch down. Poked holes in the bottom for drainage. I then took a cheap styrofoam cooler cut out a window in the lid and put plastic-rap over it. i put the two cups in the cooler with a bulb (65 watt plant light). Heres the set up so far. My humidity guage in the box says 50%.

100_12725.JPG
100_12746.JPG
100_12704.JPG
100_12712.JPG

I Planted these seeds today, and on Friday here is what i plan to change once i get some more $$ please give me suggestions.
-I know i need to get at least 3 CFL 6,500K bulbs with ??? watts per pulb.
-Get some more soil to mix with the peat moss...Perlite?

With these additional things will i be fine for the next couple weeks till i transplant them? Also, what kind of light time should i be following to start the grow. Always on, 18/6?

I know this is a bad start already i just need to get threw this week till i go home this weekend and make a nicer set up. I dont want to get to crazy expensive, more of just an experiment no so much expecting a big yield.

Yes, definitely want to invest in some different nutrients and tossing some CFLs in there will help out greatly, while still maintaining a budget. Good luck dude!

Hopefully, they will poke above the surface in a couple of days. Keep the soil moist but not too wet. Putting the seeds one inch down might be too far. I put my last batch in 1/2 inch and they had trouble making it to the surface. I've read that 1/4 inch is ideal. They have a tap root and will have no trouble burrowing into the soil once the leaf breaks the surface. It you don't see anything in about 3 - 4 days time, VERY gently remove the surface soil until you either see the sprouted seed or the new shoot curled up trying to get to the surface. Then cover it with about 1/8 inch of soil to keep it moist and it should pop out in a day or two.

With my current grow, I had five seeds that I was germinating. One broke through pretty easily, three others I had to excavate to get them to grow, and the fifth was taken by aliens (no lie, I searched every bit of soil in the pot and the seed was gone!). I guess they like to get high, too! Now we know the real reason why they visit Earth.

ggrant said:
hopefully, they will poke above the surface in a couple of days. Keep the soil moist but not too wet. Putting the seeds one inch down might be too far. I put my last batch in 1/2 inch and they had trouble making it to the surface. I've read that 1/4 inch is ideal. They have a tap root and will have no trouble burrowing into the soil once the leaf breaks the surface. It you don't see anything in about 3 - 4 days time, very gently remove the surface soil until you either see the sprouted seed or the new shoot curled up trying to get to the surface. Then cover it with about 1/8 inch of soil to keep it moist and it should pop out in a day or two.

With my current grow, i had five seeds that i was germinating. One broke through pretty easily, three others i had to excavate to get them to grow, and the fifth was taken by aliens (no lie, i searched every bit of soil in the pot and the seed was gone!). I guess they like to get high, too! Now we know the real reason why they visit earth.

lol

And thanks ggrant i will keep that in mind for the next few days here, i hope sense i just used peat moss right now it wont have too much trouble seeking its way up and out.

Ajmboarding said:
Hey fox farmer, so your saying ill be fine with one 40w CFL for now? At what point would i want to add more?

Yep a 40 watt will be fine for a young plant. I actually dont know too much about CFLs because I veg with an hps but I do know a 40 watt will be perfect. Keep it about 2 inches from the plant!

Okay, will do, thanks! And I moved away just a little bid of the peat moss on the top sense I burried my seeds possibly a little too deep.

I don't have anything for flowering yett, I wanna wait and see if these things get goin first. But if I do get to that point, what exactly do your recommend like how many K's and how many watts. (2 plants)

Ajmboarding said:
I don't have anything for flowering yett, I wanna wait and see if these things get goin first. But if I do get to that point, what exactly do your recommend like how many K's and how many watts. (2 plants)

Good Thinkin id definitely wait to make sure they get going before purchasing a light. I use a 150 watt hps, and for flower I put up 2 150 watt hps. I'd say just get a 250 watt hps. Your going to spend around 100 bucks for it, but you really need some sort of HID for flower. You can also look into LED lights, but that is going to break the bank!

Hey Ajam,

Have the other seeds sprouted yet? The only other thing I can think of is that the environment needs to be warm. I guess with the styrofoam cooler, the light should heat the interior. However, if that's not the case, I would try to make sure the ambient temperature is at least 75 degrees (Fahrenheit, not Centigrade).

Yea, the temp was up the humidity was up. I decided to dig a little and came to found that the seeds were not even sprouting, no only that, they seemed to disappear. I think the seeds were just bad for the bud i got it in, that and i didn't really have the proper set up. So i'm afraid this is the end of this journal. But in a little under a month here i plan ordering good seeds and getting a good environment for the plant... debating led's

Hey Ajam,

Sorry to hear about the dismal fate of your seeds. I have a friend who says why waste your time growing inferior genetics when you can buy the world's best seeds. When you think about it, you're committing at least 14 weeks to your crop. Why not get the good stuff?

Have you given any thought to what type of seeds you're going to get?

Sorry to hear about your seeds. :-(

I’m moving this to completed journals now.

Have you started a new grow you would like to share with us?

If so, please start one here:
Journals in Progress

Hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom